cyst cortisone pop aha alpha hydroxy acid ocd makeup

6 replies to this topic

#1 Just Call Me OCD

Just Call Me OCD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

So I've got OCD, and I'm a picker. (I'm sure I'm not the only one!) With the stress of impending finals, I've had a few skin problems recently. I usually only get small pimples that go away quickly if I don't touch them, but two days ago, I woke up with a red honker right under my eyebrow near the center of my face. Totally blind and no head. Being a picker, guess what? I picked! Nothing came out, and the cyst got bigger and redder. I put some Differin on it last night. Not much happened, but I was hoping it would draw out the pus. I wore makeup today as usual, and tonight, the pressure was really starting to hurt, so I tried to pop it again. Nothing! Now it's huge and beet red! I have really fair skin, so I'm not lying about the redness. It looks like I have a tomato growing out of my eyebrow! I took a really hot shower to open up the pores, tried to squeeze again, and I still got nothing. I'm screwed. Right now I've just got a glob of Neosporin on it under a Band-Aid. Not sure what else to do! I've gotta get rid of this or make it shrink significantly by Monday for a modeling job, and of course, the job is a makeup ad, so they're gonna want my skin to be good! Haha. Oh, the irony! Can anyone please help and tell me what to do? I can't go to the dermatologist for a cortisone shot since it's the weekend!

EEK! Your help is much appreciated! =) Also, my skin is very sensitive, so toothpaste isn't gonna work. It burns my skin.

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

http://www.acne.org/...it-t166343.html
This question comes up so frequently.

Here’s what to do when you’ve messed with a pimple and it looks horribly swollen, red and painful now.
Keep in mind that the treatment may also prevent an incipient cyst from getting worse.
The treatment may also help prevent Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) or ‘red marks’.

Basic recommendations:
Apply ice.
Take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.
Do not mess with the lesion anymore AT all.
Antibiotic cream/ointment and a band aid for night.

Detailed explanation and rationale:
Ice how-to:
Wrap an ice cube in a thin cloth towel or paper towel so the ice doesn't directly touch your skin. Some recommend freezing a bunch of water-filled little paper Dixie cups in the freezer. The thin paper cups make it convenient to hold and apply ice to the lesions. That’s a great idea from Laura, the esthetician that Willow569 goes to.

Hold the ice to the lesion for one minute or so on, five minutes or so off. Repeat as often as necessary throughout the first 24 hours, but not to the point that your skin turns pale or feels uncomfortable. The ice will reduce the swelling and the pain and the redness. The ice may also limit the development of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, PIH, or ‘red marks’.

You could also just glide an ice cube gently over your whole face, not holding it in one spot for too long. This technique will help decrease inflammation over the entire surface of your face.

Anti-Inflammatory how-to:
Ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are anti-inflammatories. Inflammation is redness, swelling, pain. One or the other medication will help reduce the inflammation of any type of infection and may also help with pain. Use only as directed on the package, pick one or the other, and don’t use for longer than directed. Of course, don’t use one if you’re allergic to it!

If your doctor has ordered an antibiotic due to the inflamed lesion(s), continue to take the antibiotic as ordered. You may still take an anti-inflammatory for pain and swelling. The antibiotic is for the infection (bacteria) and the anti-inflammatory is for the pain, redness, and swelling.

Topical antibiotic cream/ointment and band aid how-to:
(Neosporin, Polysporin, Bacitracin, etc. I use Polysporin more often.)
Apply a dab of antibiotic cream/ointment to a small band aid (this prevents contamination of the tube provided the bandaid is sterile and you’ve not touched the pad part with your fingers or anything else).

Put the band aid on the lesion. Leave on overnight. You don't have to do this step, but it provides an extra measure of infection-control and just feels better, too.

The antibiotic cream/ointment may help prevent indented scarring.

There you go. Good luck! biggrin.gif

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#3 Just Call Me OCD

Just Call Me OCD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

Thanks! The only problem is that I keep expecting after a day of not picking it that it will be ready to pick by evening. Haha. I tried it again tonight, and nope! Squeezed the hell out of it, but nothing came out. Now it's missing the top couple layers of skin. Ugh. I'm doing the whole Band-Aid and Neosporin thing overnight and when I don't have to go anywhere, but I know that there's a wad of gunk inside this sucker, and I want to get it out! So frustrating! Should I just let the pimple go down on its own and then come back another time, or should I find some way to get that crap out? Haha. And how can I take care of this redness? Ice makes it worse, unfortunately, and eye drops don't seem to help either. Maybe I need to go to the dermatologist this week for an antibiotic?

#4 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

Are you wrapping the ice in a paper towel? No, you shouldnt pop a cyst. It will get infected.
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#5 Just Call Me OCD

Just Call Me OCD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

Yes, I'm wrapping the ice in a paper towel. The redness isn't going away. =(

#6 Just Call Me OCD

Just Call Me OCD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

And now it's gotten crusty, and a pimple is forming next to it. =( I have to give a presentation Wednesday, and I need this gone! (I have BDD, so it's gonna be really hard for me to do the presentation with this. I might not be able to.)

And maybe I don't know what a cyst is, and I was wrong in my diagnosis. It's just a huge blind pimple, I guess you could say.

#7 Battle2011

Battle2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have the exact same type of pimple right on the middle of my face right now.

2 days topical antibiotics and nothing is working. It is just growing, and I can feel the wad of gunk inside it.

I got some out on Monday and yesterday. But now it's back to refilling itself with puss and it is actually hurting.

How can this be?? I have opened it 2 times, puss came out (a bit of blood too). Disinfected with an antibiotic. And still, it refills.

Not sure what is inside. Have a derm appointment tomorrow morning. Will apply neosporin for tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users