steroid rosacea

85 replies to this topic

#41 halfpipe101

halfpipe101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

I would not say dont worry about the post flushing as it happens to little amount of people like you said

I would say if your a white/fair skin person,you have the chance of a 50/50 of getting it

and I heard you say don't worry about it,you can deal with that if it comes

its very hard to deal with and the only people I have heard that are cured is lamarr and maybe one or two more

#42 MrsZ

MrsZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Halfpiple1 - I don't get you.

First you tell the poster that not to be worried because facial flushing only happens to a small group of people...

AND then go on to say there is a 50% chance of developing facial flushing. That is totally illogical.

And then to make matters worse you tell the poster that you do not know of anyone who has actually recovered from post-accutane flushing?

This poor person is suffering through steriod induced rosacea, just started Accutane is only 18 and scared as hell.

Your contradictory advice has no evidence to support it and it also really cruel to say this person who is terrified.

Hate&Love go to to post Accutane/Minoxcylcine thread and read carefully what Lamar1986 and SeattleJT have to say on the subject. They are very articulate and informed.

#43 halfpipe101

halfpipe101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

Your telling me don't tell him the risks?

and I said it happens to a small amount of people (small amount of fair people) Ethnic people take accutane too and ive never heard of one dark skin person getting flushing

you said don't worry about the flushing if it comes then we will deal with it..thats pretty stupid thing to say in my opinion because if he does get flushing throughout the day non stop it will lead to being a mess,and being severely depressed and hopefully hes one of the lucky ones and it goes away in time

and my sister had steroid induced and took doxy and i can barely see it now,i think doxy will be a better alternative then accutane

you want me to tell you the risks then so be it

mrs.z will to try to make you feel better and not tell you that you could be in alot worse shape if you get the risks

*moderator edit*

#44 ComplexIssues

ComplexIssues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

Mrs. Z

I love the way you call out people (I'm not being sarcastic).
If I had to guess, do you work in a technical field?

Halfpipe, you seem well intentioned, but is English your first language?
Personal Regimen:

Morning and Night:

- Purpose Gentle Cleanser,
- followed by Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Every other day:
- Shampoo/cleanse face with Ketoconazole shampoo, 2%
- followed by Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Supplements:

- Multi Vitamin 1-2 times daily.
- Up to 6 capsules of Flaxseed Oil/Fish Oil daily.
- Probiotic capsules, usually once a day.

#45 halfpipe101

halfpipe101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

The mods edited my post/rearranged it so everything I said,is confusing.

#46 Seattle JT

Seattle JT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

Hate&Love,

Honestly I would be very careful about accutane. After reading your posts it appears that you have really sensitive skin. I don't know how much you know about accutane, but it reduces the sebum glands and is therefore meant to dry up your skin. Generally, this results in your skin being more sensitive, but to varying degrees depending on the person. Also, some people recover their moisture rather quickly after accutane (first month post) but others only see a slight improvement in the dryness post accutane and have to deal with it long-term. I understand that MrsZ said that accutane helped with her steroid induced rosacea and I am not trying to imply that accutane cannot help you, but I also know that accutane can make things worse.

I am no expert on steroid induced rosacea, but I do know a lot about accutane. If I were in your place I would want to exhaust other treatment options before using accutane as a last resort because the side effects of accutane and the way it can alter your body makes it more dangerous than nearly any other drug out there. Keep in mind that accutane can cause side effects that continue long after stopping accutane as well as causing side effects that only appear POST accutane. At the very least you should be very aware of what kind of effect accutane is having on your body.

"Please don't worry about the potential for flushing and blushing as experienced by a very small minority on this forum. You can deal with that IF and when it comes." MrsZ

I don't believe that this quote accurately portrays the severity of post accutane flushing. Once again I am not implying that you will get flushing from accutane, but it really isn't something to be taken lightly. There are numerous problems with accutane flushing that make it very frustrating. Accutane flushing isn't something that you can just get rid of. Dermatologists and doctors do not know how to treat it (if they even will believe that the accutane and flushing are connected) and it will not respond to rosacea treatments. Some people have had it fade, but others (myself included) are still dealing with this two years post accutane. As far as I know there is also no cure for it. I am not trying to scare you, but it needed to be said if you want to make educated decisions regarding accutane.

#47 HateANDLove

HateANDLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

Sigh. I'm beginning to get really hesitent because of all these posts. I'm on day 2 of 40 mgs and my face is quite redder than normal, but that could be because I've been using cerave despite the fact that my skin is not dry at all yet, and also I've washed my face 2x a day instead of the normal 1x a day which could be irritating. I think I will hold off on the moisturizer and just do my regular routine tonight, and if things aren't looking back to the way they were redness wise pre-accutane in a few days I'm going to call my derm and see about lowering the dose. Beyond just that though, with all these posts I'm starting to feel that this is totally hopeless and I'm never going to have normal skin again and also feel like maybe this is a mistake.

#48 Seattle JT

Seattle JT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (Hate&Love @ Jun 5 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sigh. I'm beginning to get really hesitent because of all these posts. I'm on day 2 of 40 mgs and my face is quite redder than normal, but that could be because I've been using cerave despite the fact that my skin is not dry at all yet, and also I've washed my face 2x a day instead of the normal 1x a day which could be irritating. I think I will hold off on the moisturizer and just do my regular routine tonight, and if things aren't looking back to the way they were redness wise pre-accutane in a few days I'm going to call my derm and see about lowering the dose. Beyond just that though, with all these posts I'm starting to feel that this is totally hopeless and I'm never going to have normal skin again and also feel like maybe this is a mistake.

Please don't feel like it is hopeless. I am not saying that there are not treatments for steroid induced rosacea because it is in fact the only rosacea that can be cured. What I am saying is that out of all the possible treatments accutane is the most dangerous and should only be used after exhausting other solutions.

#49 HateANDLove

HateANDLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

It is such a catch 20 though TJ, In addition to my steroid indcuded rosacea I really do have quite moderate acne, which is what got me into this mess in the first place, that and an ignorant mistake on my part. Acne wise though I have a constant oil slicked face, literally thousands of clogged pores all over my face, not to mention hundreds of non-inflamed bumps that cover my forehead, cheeks, etc. Then also the inflammatory pimples that litter the bottom half of my face. All of this in addition to my rosacea and facial redness. I just feel like it is a lost cause; the only thing that's going to really touch my acne is accutane; I can't use topicals, benzoyl perozide burns my skin, finacea made things 5x worse rosacea wise, the ONLY topical I seem to be able to tolerate and benefit from is salicylic acid, and that barely skims the surface of the acne and clogged pores. So I just feel like I'm completely stuck at this point; my derm feels this is the best option for me concerning both conditions, I thought it was too but now after reading all these posts and seeing the slight increase in redness I'm so stressed not to mention depressed. I thought I was FINALLY going to fix things, finally get my life back, as I can't begin to describe the effect this has taken on me mentally and emotionally, I've become almost completely housebound, as this is difficult to cover with makeup, and even if you can cover it, all the scrubbing it takes to get it off afterwards just makes things worse and more irritated and red. I feel like I'm literally trapped within my own body; and now it seems that the key I thought I'd found might actually be a nail; and could just hurt me all the more. I don't know; I'm likely not making sense, my apologies. But for now I'm just going to go back to my normal routine, salicylic acid included, because my face is still disgustingly oil slicked and I'm thinking the moisturizer mixing with all that oil might be causing some irritation and redness, especially considering that I'm not used to moisturizer whatsoever. I guess I'll just see what happens, if things continue to look more red than normal, like I said I'll call my derm and lower it, and if things are still bad after that, well then evidently I will need to stop treatment and prepare to continue on with this brutal and miserable existence which is reality.

P.S- Sorry for the depressing post, but I'm really down. sad.gif My apologies though.

#50 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (halfpipe101 @ Jun 6 2009, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mods edited my post/rearranged it so everything I said,is confusing.

No. ONE line was removed; the one where you were name-calling.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#51 MrsZ

MrsZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

SeattleJT: Thank you for adding to this thread. I did not have the experience of post-Accutane flushing and Hate&Love was asking for my support when I really have no experience in that side of it.

ComplexIssues: Thank you for the compliment. I take it this means you have forgiven me for doing the same to you? I want you to read what Wistar says in this thread. Is that what you are experiencing?

http://www.acne.org/...ea-t237610.html

#52 HateANDLove

HateANDLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi again everyone; once again I want to apologize for the really depressing mellow-dramatic post. I'm feeling better today; not 100% but much better. My skin seems less red, but we'll see what the rest of the day brings. Thank you everyone for the input btw.

#53 HateANDLove

HateANDLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

MrsZ- did you notice more redness upon starting your course or no??

#54 MrsZ

MrsZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Hate&Love @ Jun 6 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MrsZ- did you notice more redness upon starting your course or no??

I remember my skin got really hot and red at times during the first month of Accutane, like it was on fire. My skin would spaz out sporadically during the first 2-3 months. I had one last horrible steriod induced rosacea flare about 2 1/2 to 3 months into my course. My skin was on fire and I looked like I had the measles. Of course this had to happen during a meeting that included the CFO and CIO of the company I was working for at the time.

Also, after I stopped Accutane - my skin would get really red when I applied moisturizer. It was also incredibly dry, and still is and that comes with its own problems. But, all my life my skin was an oil slick - like you described. Oily skin can get really bad when a woman is in her 30's, it doesn't really stop till a woman is in her 40's. So, the Accutane should help in that regard.

You should thoroughly read the Accutane logs on this message board. Accutane will do weird things to your body and skin and it is comforting to know you are not alone and not imagining it.

I hope that helps.

#55 Seattle JT

Seattle JT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hate&Love,

An increase in redness while on accutane is actually pretty common. Most people have this go away during treatment or shortly after, but there is the possibility that it could stay much longer.

If you feel that you have exhausted other possible solutions then I can understand going on accutane because it has the best chance to deal with both the steroid induced rosacea and acne. I would advise you to be careful about your dose though because the higher doses are usually where people begin to get side effects. 40mg could very well be fine (I wouldn't go higher), but if you started to develop any problems I wouldn't be afraid to go down to 20mg.

I am really not trying to be negative about accutane, but the problem with it is that everyone goes into it thinking that it is some miracle drug and nobody really understands the potential side effects. I do not have a problem with anyone taking accutane after thoroughly understanding the potential side effects which may not go away even after you stop the drug as well as understanding that accutane may not cure your acne. I guess what I am trying to say is that taking accutane should be an informed decision and I believe most people go into it very naive (myself included). I was completely blindsided by what happened to me and I truly would not wish that experience upon anyone else.

In regards to what MrsZ said you should go into accutane with the understanding that your body will be different once you are done. As she said the dry skin is different than what you are used to and the more you understand that your body will be different the less of a shock it will be once you are finished with your course.

I hope this works out well for you.

#56 HateANDLove

HateANDLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:12 AM

MrsZ- Thankyou so much for the reply, during your course the first month was it constant redness or just when you would flush?? I don't think I realized the effect this would have rosacea wise; it wouldn't be such an issue normally, but I was hoping to start College this fall and also have some sort of life this summer so the additional redness, I don't know that I can deal with this. I honestly have no idea how you were able to take such a high dose!? Also, post-accutane when did your skin return to a normal skin tone even w/ moisturizer??

TJ- I really appreciate your comment; I did go into this understanding the side effects but I think the one thing I under-estimated is my own body and it's reaction. I'm realizing that 40 mgs is likely too much for me; I knew this upon instinct but just wanted a shorter course and also my Derm made it seem like the idea of low dose for myself would not be as good. He is one of those "really high dose, kill the acne as soon as possible" type derms and for me I can now see that style is really not going to work, so I'm going to have to call him Monday. I would much rather have a longer course then walk around with my face looking like a tomato 24/7, I do know that some redness is a normal side effect but I didn't know that it would come so soon and be this red, so again this is a sign to me that I will be lowering it and likely extending my course into the 10-11 month range. For now I'm waiting until Tuesday to take my next pill, as I've already taken 3 pills which makes 120 mgs or 6 days of 20mgs, so when Tuesday arrives I'll take a 40 mg every other day until I can get my correct script in a month.

Idk though; maybe I'm making a mistake by lowering my dose when this could be just a temporary effect and the redness will fade within the next month or so?? Ugh, I really wish this didn't have to be so damn stressful and confusing!! I read most of the logs MrsZ but the problem is none of them have steroid induced rosacea so I don't really know what to expect in that aspect, nor if things will improve redness wise and when?? I have nothing to go off of for the most part and that just really makes this all the more mind boggling.

#57 MrsZ

MrsZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

Honestly, I do not remember the specifics of my Accutane side effects. I just know that from the point I used steriod creams to a year after Accutane my skin was unpredictable. One thing I can say is that if you cannot tolerate topicals now, I would avoid them post-Accutane, especially since you may be predisposed to rosacea. I stupidly took my derms advice to use topicals to maintain my clear skin. My instincts told me not to. I suffered a lot because of that and it wasn't necessary.

How your skin behaves on Accutane during treatment is not always an indication of how it will behave permanently. Even at the 6th month of treatment and at 120mg dosage - my skin was NOT dry and flakey and my dermatologist was baffled. However, now my skin is very dry.

The cumulative dosage of Accutane is the important key to remission. You can reach that cumulative dosage slowly with a low dose or quickly with a high dose. That my dear is up to you and don't be afraid to confront your derm with your concerns. You need to listen to your instincts.

SeattleJT and I are on the extreme opposite ends of the Accutane experience spectrum and this is naturally going to confuse you. No one can predict how your body will handle Accutane and if it will clear your skin at all. I was willing to suffer through Accutane treatment because I had exhausted all the other treatment options, I felt ugly, depressed and my skin problems became the single focus point of my life and the barometer of my emotional state. It was a nightmare. I was willing to end that nightmare at all costs.

#58 Seattle JT

Seattle JT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (MrsZ @ Jun 7 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I do not remember the specifics of my Accutane side effects. I just know that from the point I used steriod creams to a year after Accutane my skin was unpredictable. One thing I can say is that if you cannot tolerate topicals now, I would avoid them post-Accutane, especially since you may be predisposed to rosacea. I stupidly took my derms advice to use topicals to maintain my clear skin. My instincts told me not to. I suffered a lot because of that and it wasn't necessary.

How your skin behaves on Accutane during treatment is not always an indication of how it will behave permanently. Even at the 6th month of treatment and at 120mg dosage - my skin was NOT dry and flakey and my dermatologist was baffled. However, now my skin is very dry.

The cumulative dosage of Accutane is the important key to remission. You can reach that cumulative dosage slowly with a low dose or quickly with a high dose. That my dear is up to you and don't be afraid to confront your derm with your concerns. You need to listen to your instincts.

SeattleJT and I are on the extreme opposite ends of the Accutane experience spectrum and this is naturally going to confuse you. No one can predict how your body will handle Accutane and if it will clear your skin at all. I was willing to suffer through Accutane treatment because I had exhausted all the other treatment options, I felt ugly, depressed and my skin problems became the single focus point of my life and the barometer of my emotional state. It was a nightmare. I was willing to end that nightmare at all costs.

Hate&Love,

I wholeheartedly agree with MrsZ's 2nd paragraph.

In regards to topicals I agree with MrsZ as well. I can only speak from my own experience, but I have found that my skin responds very well to klaron (sodium sulfacetamide) post accutane. I had been on it before my accutane course, but it basically had no effect on my oily skin. With the combination of flushing and dry skin post accutane I have found that most topicals seem to only make things worse so you really want to be careful in that regard. I actually have been surprised with how effective the klaron has been at treating my acne. I do not know if it will work for you post accutane, but as far as topicals go it is very mild and doesn't increase my dryness so if you needed some sort of maintenance it would be my recommendation. Once again though I have no experience with steroid induced rosacea so I don't know if klaron will make that worse. MrsZ, have you tried klaron?

#59 MrsZ

MrsZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

I have had great success with something similar to Klaron - it is called Plexion. This is Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfar 5% and I use it in the form of cleansing cloths after I work out. It is the only prescription "topical" I will use now. Sulfar is great for both acne and rosacea. It is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial and it is supposed to kill demodex mites (these are found in high amounts on those with rosacea). It does not however have the harsh exfoliating action found in BP, AHA, BHA and retinoids.

#60 HateANDLove

HateANDLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

Thank You both once again for offering your advice and opinions. In regards to my treatment, I think you are very right MrsZ, I'm going to go with my instinct, I knew anything more than 20 mgs would be too high but I just wanted to "get this over with" because just as you said I feel extremely ugly, and my emotional barometer is also in regards to the condition of my skin. Right now I'm looking just as I was pre-intervention, worse than the picture I posted. I'd been able to get things somewhat under control lately, but all of this is from extreme measures. I.e avoiding any and all triggers, extremely anti-inflammatory diet, keeping the house very cool, etc. So then when I show up at my derm office and my skin is not as red as normal suddenly he seems to forget I even have rosacea or something and starts talking about all this 60 mgs etc. Um, hello?? Right now my skin is dark pink, so I'm not happy to say the least as my state of mind is dependent on the condition of my skin. I know my Dermatologist is a Dr. and while I do think he knows what he's doing, I know my body far better than he ever will, so I can tell you right now that this 40 mgs is way way too much, I look like I've been our baking in the sun for a few days straight with no sunscreen, which I avoid the sun at all costs, sunscreen or not, as its a MAJOR trigger and makes me extremely red, so that certainly isn't the case. While yes I want this gone I cannot suffer through my course like this. I'm going to start taking my 40mgs every other day or every 2 days in order to get 13 mgs a day, I think this would be a more appropriate starting place and was what I felt would be best originally, 10 mgs a day. So, I will likely implement that for now and then possibly go up to 20 mgs next month, either that or remain at 10 mgs depending how things go. My course will be longer yes, but I cannot suffer like this for the months to come. I've been feeling bad enough already, extremely ugly, unhuman most of the time, and that's without this additional redness, so right now, I'm not feeling too good to say the least. Once my course comes to an end I really don't think I'll be using any kind of topicals, thankyou for the warning MrsZ, but when the time comes though for maintnence I'll look into the Klaron especially if its proven to be non-irritating or drying for both of you. Well, sorry for this being so long as always. Oh, and I want to again thank you both from the bottom of my heart, in a time and situation like this it's easy to feel completely alone so I really cannot tell you how much it's helped having the support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users