Photo

WHYY AM I THE ONLY ONE IN MY FAMILY THAT HAS ACNE?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 alina

alina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:27 PM

I have had acne since i was about 15. I am now 25. I have three brothers who are the ages of 19, 21 and 23. They have never had a zit in their life.
My sister is 14 with clear skin. My dad has beautiful clear skin. My mom might get a zit once in a while, loke right before her period. But its nothing signoificant. I on the other hand get 1-2 new ones each day.
Does anyone else have a similar experience or can anyone make sense out of this?? Thanks! :wall:

#2 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(alina @ May 30 2004, 05:14 PM)
I have had acne since i was about 15. I am now 25. I have three brothers who are the ages of 19, 21 and 23. They have never had a zit in their life.
My sister is 14 with clear skin. My dad has beautiful clear skin. My mom might get a zit once in a while, loke right before her period. But its nothing signoificant. I on the other hand get 1-2 new ones each day.
Does anyone else have a similar experience or can anyone make sense out of this?? Thanks! :wall:

How different is your diet compared to their's? What do you tend to eat on a daily basis?

#3 alina

alina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:13 PM

Hi dudeman- I eat as healthily as I can- lots of fruits and vegetables. My brothers eat nothing but fastfood three times a day seven days a week. My sister has a little bit of both. the only other thing i can tell you that i know is that all three of my brothers smoke marijuana a couple times a day and they barely ever wash there faces or put any products on themselves. Any advice you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

#4 Long

Long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(alina @ May 30 2004, 07:00 PM)
Hi dudeman- I eat as healthily as I can- lots of fruits and vegetables. My brothers eat nothing but fastfood three times a day seven days a week. My sister has a little bit of both. the only other thing i can tell you that i know is that all three of my brothers  smoke marijuana a couple times a day and they barely ever wash there faces or put any products on themselves. Any advice you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

What if the key is they hardly ever wash their faces. If you had the courage you could run a little experiment where you only wash your face with water (no soap or cleanser). Use BP to help cure the existing damage and as a safety net.

P.S. this little experiment worked for me but I was 46 at the time and perhaps I had finally gotten too old for zits. I'm 48 now and still don't wash my face with soap.

#5 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(alina @ May 30 2004, 08:00 PM)
Hi dudeman- I eat as healthily as I can- lots of fruits and vegetables. My brothers eat nothing but fastfood three times a day seven days a week. My sister has a little bit of both. the only other thing i can tell you that i know is that all three of my brothers  smoke marijuana a couple times a day and they barely ever wash there faces or put any products on themselves. Any advice you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hmm, I see. Unfortunately, genetics are very complicated and siblings can be very different in how they metabolize foods. I suggest reading through this Diet forum and gleaning as much information as possible. There's a lot of data here.

My acne was because of my diet (most acne is). The thing is, though, that some people's bodies can handle the bad foods without causing acne, because of their genetics. I ate practically the same as my sister, even a little better, but I still had worse acne than she did. I stopped eating ALL refined sugars (no whitebread, no cane sugar, corn syrup, etc.), hydregenated oils (and all bad fats), etc. as well as eating a salad without dressing (just sesame oil and olives and such) with every meal, among other things.

This is what stopped the breakout cycle for me. Not to mention the fact that on this diet I feel so much better. It's extremely liberating to eat so healthfully. I don't ever crave sugary stuff now.

#6 alina

alina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:49 AM

Thanks guys. Since ive got 4 days till summer vacation, during that time ill experiment with diet and washing my face with just water. Thanks again!!

#7 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

I'd say that you just have bad luck. Pretty much the same thing with me. My mum had acne when she was younger. My dad has never had it, my brother and sister never had it. I've had it for almost 15 years now.

#8 thebignosebandit

thebignosebandit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

i understand your pain, i am the only one out of my brother and sister who has acne. my sister on the other hand is overweight, but has never ever had a pimple in her life.

my brother is just a good looking guy. He is athletic, muscular, perfect skin, perfect body, he goes to college at berkeley and models for calvin klein, hugo boss cologne ads, and macy's catalogs and a whole other gig (luggage companies, k swiss ads.) he was blessed with good looking genes, as well as perfect skin.

we were all raised the same, ate the same food, but the gene pool just isnt a fair game. i somehow inherited my dads acne genes, while my sister and brother did not. my sister inherited her overweight problem from my grandmothers side of the family, my brother and i did not. my brother inherited his good looks, perfect body and skin from my moms side, i didn't.

i use to get mad, and try to curse acne upon my brother, but you gotta take what was given to you and just live your life. sometimes we aren't so lucky, and i inherited my acne from my father. we all have our ups and downs, believe me.

#9 link626

link626

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:48 AM

I am also the "cursed one" in my family. I have the most severe acne. I'm 24, and have had acne and bacne since i was 16.

my mom hardly ever had acne, but 2 of her older sisters did....
my dad had acne when he was young, but they grew in the upper neck jawline area.

I have problematic skin in my cheek area and now, after 8 years, my forehead has started to turn ugly from acne.

Maybe i inherited the damn acne gene from both sides of the family.

I hope I grow out of.... but damn I'm gonna be ugly by then..... and plastic surgery will be really freakin costly.

God dammit God, why did you curse me?! razz.gif

#10 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:33 PM

jc was the only one in his family to have acne you should talk to him

#11 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:47 PM

I am???? I AM!!!!! gosh, I never really thought about it. wink.gif

Actually, my cousins on my father's side have had some bad skin, so although not direct, my family might have an incidence of it.

Up to now, I'm doing very well...the best I've ever been. Who knows what the hell I did. wink.gif

#12 drewsie

drewsie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:45 PM

My oldest sister had perfect skin until this year and she is 26, I'm 19 and have had bad skin since I was 14. For whatever reason our skin has flared up really bad at the same time. Our other sister has perfect skin. I don't want to go on harsh medications and I happened to stumble across this website today, so far it has helped me to gain wonderful information for what I need to do to reclaim my face.

#13 mischief2

mischief2

miss kitty fantastico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:18 AM

Genetics are definately hit and miss. I think with some of us it can be a factor but with others it isn't. Both my parents had mild acne as teens, my mum grew out of it as a teen and my dad at about 21. One of my brothers had severe acne until about 23 or 24 and my other brother has amazing skin, probably about one zit in his life (and he works under his truck all the time with grease all over his skin). I've had mild acne since 12 am now 23.

I don't think science has an explanation for it yet.