Photo

Green tea and acne, does it get worse before getting better???

green tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 RyanRude

RyanRude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

I've started drinking green tea, about 5 cups a day for a few days now and I've still got breakouts of course but I'm wondering if there is a purge first, even with just drinking it? Ive heard there is with acv taken internally so I'm just curious. Ive read so much about this green tea and want to know how often I need to drink it to have any benefits and if it really is as effective as they say

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Has it gotten worse? Is your skin oilier or dryer? Any less inflamed?

I know of no reason why it would get worse before it gets better. It can help in two ways, neither of which should cause any purge. It's anti-inflammatory and the EGCG is a potent DHT inhibitor.

However, after years of hearing many people say it helped, I've seen a few post that it made their skin worse. Because there have been some conflicting studies that found different results in mice and apparently it may contain some compound that, well I don't remember what it did. There's a thread on it here somewhere.

Unless you are drinking decaf, you are getting quite a bit of caffeine in 5 cups a day. You might try buying green tea extract capsules.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#3 rand0m

rand0m

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

i drink only one cup a day (after dinner) so it will help me digest (it does help with digestion). i would limit to 1-2 cups a day because there is caffeine. i would buy a good organic brand (dont get decaf). i get rid of the caffeine naturally (the first 30 seconds of steeping it gets rid of most of the caffeine, after that you throw away the water and then steep again)

i dont know about a purge, i havent experienced any. but overall, i think green tea can help

#4 RyanRude

RyanRude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

I bought some decaf actually. tetly is the brand I think. I don't understadn the whoel tea thing, what is steeping? I heat water in the microwave, put a tea bag in a coffe mug and pur the tea into the mug, keep in in there for a couepl minutes whiel pressing the bag a bit with the sppon, then I take th ebag out and drink it, is this wrong??? I liked the chai green tea but I think the caffeine was too much. I dont mind this decaf stuff but how can I eliminate more caffeine the way I'm preparing it, I dont have a tea kettle onr do I want to buy soemthing like that

#5 Jadedpoet

Jadedpoet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

I changed my brand to salada and only add one teaspoon of sugar and a good squeeze of honey. My goal is to not add sugar anymore or just a very, very small amount. I drink only 1-2 cups a day..three if i'm stressed and my skin is hasn't broken out any extra. Actually after changing brands of tea I seem to be clearer, after about maybe two weeks I noticed a difference.

There is a website you can get the actual real leaves from *from my understanding correct me if i'm wrong) adagio.com is it, and I really want to try it out to see how it does. I think if you are sensitive or allergic to something than yes that product will/may break you out more. I don't see why it would but like I said if you are sensitive to it or add way to much sugar possibly, yes. I also drink their decaf version at night at times its supposed to be naturally decaf ,eh, either way, I like it LOL.

Also no i've not noticed a worsening. I've been drinking green tea for....4 years now I think.

I wish you luck and hope it works out for you!! Don't be afraid to try out some fruits either and drink more water, since caffeine seems*with me* to make me really thirsty.
Dat Jaded Chic

Skin type-Combination/sensitive

Morning- Mary kay combo oily cleanser
blemish control toner (only in the rare instance i'm having a small breakout)
Mary kay Day solution 2 pumps
Mary Kay moisturizer combo oily moisturizer

Night- Mary kay combo oily cleanser
Mary kay night solution 2 pumps
Mary Kay moisturizer combo oily moisturizer
*vaseline on dry areas*

Subject to change because I never stick to anything. :P

#6 RyanRude

RyanRude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I don't add any sugar, I drink it plain, I don't care about the taste if it's gonna benefit me

#7 john1234

john1234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

any caffeine makes my skin oily and look like shit. period. does not matter if its coke, coffee, or green tea. caffeine is a stressor no matter how you put it and can stimulate the sebaceous glands. drinking caffeine with food helps slow absorption. and remember that japanese people drink it with small cups. spread throughout the day. don't chug it like americans do, with huge bottles of green tea. that's just not how its supposed to be drunk.

#8 rand0m

rand0m

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

u should boil your water first then pour it in a cup with the teabag in it to get the benefits of tea. i wouldnt microwave it

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (RyanRude @ Apr 21 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought some decaf actually. tetly is the brand I think. I don't understadn the whoel tea thing, what is steeping? I heat water in the microwave, put a tea bag in a coffe mug and pur the tea into the mug, keep in in there for a couepl minutes whiel pressing the bag a bit with the sppon, then I take th ebag out and drink it, is this wrong??? I liked the chai green tea but I think the caffeine was too much. I dont mind this decaf stuff but how can I eliminate more caffeine the way I'm preparing it, I dont have a tea kettle onr do I want to buy soemthing like that

The way you are doing it is fine.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#10 RyanRude

RyanRude

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

most of the websites that talk about green tea for acne say that you need 5 to 8 cups per day to help prevent future breakouts, any truth to that? I drink the decaf, not sure how much caffeine is in it still but I hope not much, I've been drinking about 5 cups per day

#11 SMT12483

SMT12483

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

This may be a very stupid question but...even if tea is decaf does it still have some caffeine in it? Does it need to say "caffeine free" to have no caffeine at all?

Thanks.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (SMT12483 @ May 28 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may be a very stupid question but...even if tea is decaf does it still have some caffeine in it? Does it need to say "caffeine free" to have no caffeine at all?

Thanks.

Yes. Decaffeinated means some caffeine has been removed. Usually not all of it.

#13 RSXBOI

RSXBOI

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

I dont mess with green tea. it made my acne worse. Maybe I didnt give it a chance to get better but after a month of no progress and just getting worse I had to stop.

#14 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

Ive been drinking green tea for 3 years twice a day. Loose green tea no honey, no sugar, no nothing. I started breaking-out 6 months ago.

In my case it doesn't help and it doesn't make acne worse. I dont think it does much of anything. It just taste good to me and it helps me relax (very soothing).

Besides its hard to get the full benefits of teas that come in a tea bag (its all processed). I once went to a real tea house and "real" green tea cost about $130 a pound (I tasted it, very potent).

Also there is no such thing as decaffeinated tea. If it says decaf its no longer tea, its something else "Imitation" Ive learned this from a 90 year old Buddhist I once met, no joke.

#15 mike_wf

mike_wf

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

It could just be making it worse. Some acne sufferers (from what I've read in other posts) are really sensitive to caffeine, even the tiny amount in decaf tea.
"Seek the truth from facts"

#16 firefly_gal

firefly_gal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

i am also having this green tea to help my acne getting better. it doesn't get worse on me. the effect is it's an anti-oxidant and many other good advantages.
----- 6 months to go: MY WEDDING DAY! ::~God, please please please make my skin super clear as this is my ONCE IN A LIFETIME wedding day... AMEN~:: -----

#17 Zmffy

Zmffy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

It could be that your body is purging all of the unsurfaced acne in response to the antioxidants. It's what's know as an initial breakout. However I think that 5 cups is way too much. If it's not decaf then it's way way too much, if it is I would still reduce that to two cups a day. Don't over-do it.

#18 neverforget

neverforget

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

I tried Green Tea for a while and yes, it did give me a few breakouts. But I don't get it, when I drink normal tea, nothing (much) seems to happen, apart from the odd spot or two, but when I try Green (which is suppose to be better), I breakout. sad.gif

#19 pickychick

pickychick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

I'm pretty sure green tea makes me break out also. I tried drinking two cups a day for two weeks and my acne got worse. Could have been coincidence, but I'm not willing to test it again.

#20 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

Green tea won't make it worse unless you have some sort of allergy or extreme sensitivity to caffeine. (if I overload on stimulants of ANY type they break me out)

But--green tea won't cure your acne either.

Acne is usually caused by too much of something, not the lack of some random antioxidant. You could drink all the green tea in the world and if you're ingesting a food your body doesn't like, or if your stress levels are too high, etc you will still have the issue.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil