Photo

Is a blend of witch hazel, tea tree oil and lavender oil worth a try?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Anna S

Anna S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

I'm now going to try the natural approach to my moderate acne... eusa_dance.gif

Do you think a blend of witch hazel, tea tree oil and lavender oil sounds good? What sort of concentrations? I was thinking of mixing in 10 drops of lavender oil and 6 drops of tea tree oil for every teaspoon of witch hazel...

Your thoughts? biggrin.gif

Anna x

#2 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Sounds too strong. You need to mix in a carrier oil like olive oil. Make it maybe 80% olive oil, 5% TTO, 5% lavender and the rest witch hazel or something.

#3 Anna S

Anna S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for replying! Would it be worth mixing it with Jojoba Oil? I was thinking of just mixing it all up in an amber bottle and then applying with cotton wool...i'm on a tight budget at the moment so hoping this works as it will be a while before i can afford to try another solution! biggrin.gif

#4 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

Jojoba should work, or just mix it into any good face cream.

#5 Anna S

Anna S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

Well I bought all the stuff yesterday... I bought Witch Hazel, Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil and Geranium oil. This came to a total of £10.21 as the oils are on 3 for 2 at Boots (UK). I estimate that the ingredients will last about 5 months so thats just over £2 a month.

I mixed 50ml of Witch Hazel in an amber bottle with 60 drops of lavender, 40 drops of tea tree oil and 20 drops of geranium.

On the first application after about ten minutes my skin was a lot less red! It also felt really smooth. This morning my existing spots are slightly reduced and only one tiny white head formed over night (usually i wake up with a few).

So far so good!

It might just be a fluke, so I will keep you all updated on the progress in case anyone else is thinking of trying.

Anna smile.gif

#6 suzy_rondelle

suzy_rondelle

these burgers are craaazy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

i usually mix these oils with my moisturizer. i use the alba organic moisturizer. i found that olive and jojoba oils broke me out (despite being "non-comodogenic"). i usually use tea tree and lavender. occasionally geranium and clary sage as well.

#7 Anna S

Anna S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

I never thought of using clary sage, i will look into this one, thankyou! Good for muscle-ache baths too wink.gif

Well its only the second day of using this stuff and i must say my skin hasn't looked so even for a long time! My existing spots look a lot better and i can't feel any new ones... i will start trying it on my back tonight, i will ask my partner to apply it. Its always a problem getting to spots on your back to treat them hey?

#8 Anna S

Anna S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Sorry mods, i must have put this in the wrong section eusa_doh.gif

Just an update, my skin is looking pretty good today (day 3) with one new spot and rapidly reducing old spots. I bought some topical 5% ibuprofen gel as per Temp123 so hopefully this new acne fighting kit will work for me long term wub.gif Fighting the bacteria, inflammation, scarring and skin tone seems like a sensible approach, can anyone think of anything i might be missing?

#9 BRITTANY 13

BRITTANY 13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

i want to try something like this too, but i don't know where t buy the lavender oil. where did you get yours/whats the name of it? eusa_think.gif

#10 Anna S

Anna S

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (BRITTANY 13 @ Apr 24 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i want to try something like this too, but i don't know where t buy the lavender oil. where did you get yours/whats the name of it? eusa_think.gif

I bought mine from Boots in the UK, but you should be able to get it at any health store, chemist, or 'hippy' type shop - just make sure its 100% pure essential oil and not the cheap fragrance stuff for oil burners!

#11 lighterbeing

lighterbeing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

That is waaaay too strong, the oils would be irritating in that concentration. I use a bottle of the natural witch hazel, the one without alcohol, and add about 10 drops tea tree oil, grapefruit extract and lemonbalm extract, about 10 drops of each. It is good for the whole body and face. It helped with my bacne, but will probably not actually make facial acne go away. It is much cheaper to mix your own witch hazel than to buy the already made lemon, etc. infusions. Those are around 7.00 where I live.