Photo

To Sweetjade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 Jewboy

Jewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi sweetjade,

just before this board was recently hacked i was having a discussion with you about what food i have and what i have been doing recently to try and reduce the acne.

Herss a recap. I told u i stopped taking bread, in all forms, cakes etc. i done this for 2 weeks, flat out. i made no difference it seems. Just to recap my dailly food, morning i have jordans museli, lunch soya noodles and for dinner usually rice with a curry.

I dont think there is any wheat in the museli. Also it is ok to have brownbread or better to avoid it.

Anyway i think where we left off was that u said u can detect what acne i have by what i eat. the acne i have is mild cysic on my face and mod/severe on my body, includes butt , chest and back.

So what do u think ?

Thanks for ur reply in advance.

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:01 PM

Hey you =)

Bear in mind this is purely anecdotal, but overtime, I can usually pinpoint my breakouts to certain foods and others have too. Generally after ingesting a suspect food a breakout occurs 2 - 7 days after (on aveage 2 - 3 days). It does depend on your sensitivity and the amount you consume. For most of these I've repeated this experiment enough times to know that it definately induces a breakout and, sometimes a very specific type of acne.

Dairy - double pimples or cysts (especially whey protein)

Organic Milk & GF Refined Cereals - tiny nodules in or around earlobe

Gluten (wheat, barely rye, oats) - I dont know. pimples or cysts? All I know is when I stopped this I was 95% clear (including body acne).

Bananas - Cysts

Peanuts - Cysts, generally forehead or chin area

Walnuts, Pecans - cysts

Pistachios, Cashews (mangos are in the same family) - cysts, I've known non-acne sufferers that breakout from pistachios

Sugar - (table sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup) - "sugar pimples" (go away in 2 - 3 days) or these tiny stubborn pimples anywhere my body decides (may have a yeast connection). That means I don't eat candy very often, nor do I ever drink non-100% fruit juices.

Soda - can't figure this one out unless its the High Fructose Corn Syrup or the Carbonation, but it gives me cysts.

Bad Oils (Trans fats, hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated oil) - These and fried food affects my oil production some. I mainly see a difference in the way my pores look. Some get clogged, others have black stuff in them, and they get larger. When I cease consuming these, my pores clear up and are the smallest they've been since before I had acne. I'm not 100% free of these though.

Side Note: I don't know how these affect me, but there are foods that I rarely consume, as some side effect of altering my diet - 100% Fruit Juice, Coffee, Tea (I pretty much only drink water), Oranges, Deli meats/luncheon meats, most GF Grains (mainly eat corn & rice), MSG, Bad Preservatives

Other thoughts-
Some acne sufferers have found that they had specific Allergies or Intolerances to 1 or more of these food groups below:

Tropical Fruits - Bananas, papaya, mangos (Perricone says no to these), Kiwi, Pineapple, Plaintain (banana cousin)

Citrus Fruits - oranges break my dad out, others have found they are allergic to citrus

All Fruits

All nuts

All "sugar" - impossible, but mainly they eliminated all fruits, candy, & natural sugar additives (glucose, fructose, sucrose, corn syrup, etc).

All Nightshades - (Potatos, Tomatos, Green Peppers, Chili Peppers, Egg Plant) - some say they can tolerate them cooked, but not raw. Some noticed a drop in oil production upon ceasing. This is from the "Evil" Lectin Diet (modified Paleodiet)

All Legumes - some legumes/beans/peanuts lectins can be deactivated upon soaking & cooking, but others may not. This is from the "Evil" Lectin Diet (modified Paleodiet)

All Grains - Some have found that they can tolerate Sprouted Grain products, and others must eliminate all forms entirely. This is from the "Evil" Lectin Diet (modified Paleodiet)

I personally still have 1% acne left. I haven't even eliminated all of the above possibilites. Yet, what I've noticed is that those that do some sort of liver cleansing or a flush, they are no longer sensitive to certain foods such as Nuts, Legumes, and Fruits. Of course, they also eat a lot of good vegetables and whole grains (usually gluten free grains) which provides plenty of fiber and other liver boosting nutrients. Oh and some don't even eat meat, but those that do, strive for organic meat.

If you are still intent on avoiding Gluten, then the only "brown bread" you can have are those that are Gluten/Wheat/Spelt free. Also, remember, it's only been 2 weeks for you and when you follow a stricter diet, like an elimination diet, results may be seen that early. Where as, others have found that it can also take as long as 3 months. When I changed my diet, I was still on medications for my acne, so I don't know how long it took, but I knew for certain after 3 months (when I stopped taking Avandia) and my skin didn't get worse, but only continued to get better (as I avoided other problem foods).

Does any of this overwhelm or confuse your? I'm sorry if it does, again, it's actually much easier & faster to temporarily follow an Elimination Diet, than it is to eliminate based on observations (& then retesting those foods). It may be harder on your stomach, but easier on your mind ;-) So please don't get discourage if this is the way you wish to pursue your cure. I fumbled several times in this area before I hit the near jackpot ;-)

Best of luck

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:40 PM

In case you'd rather try an Elimination Diet:

http://homepages.par...ediet_howto.htm
http://curezone.com/diet/ (simplifies the above)

http://www.icaroadto...om/the_diet.htm

http://www.pixi.com/...minatDiets.html

#4 Jewboy

Jewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:03 AM

Wow thanks for your reply. I really appreciated the effort you put into it.

It seems there is a lot i have to look out for. I tend to eat a lot of bannas i am really suprised this causes acne, seems so many things do.

As for the bad oils, i have Extra Virgin Olive Oil...is this ok?

I drink about 3 cups of tea a day with Soya milk, i hope this isnt a cause, my fave beverage lol.

I have demerra brown sugar is this ok?

As for bread...is it ok to have brown bread?? I have asked my parents to buy there bread from a bakery, cos its not factory made there and they are less likely to put all those strange agents. What do u think of this..

Sweetjade thanks a lot. I will study the list religously...treat it like a bible see what will come of it.

Thanks

#5 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:07 AM

EV Olive oil is a-ok! user posted image

#6 thebignosebandit

thebignosebandit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:59 AM

wow sweetjade it amazes me that you can directly predict where breakouts occur if you eat something. you haven't even ruled out coincidence. banana causing cysts? ive heard of allergic reactions of fruits, but cystic acne? exactly how does a banana and its contents cause a cystic breakout?

we are all different but i went through a 3 month experimentation where half of the time was spent on this so called acne diet and the other half on a normal western diet, saw no difference.

also, you shouldnt use curezone.com as a source. seriously these guys claim dermatologists are con artists and the medical community is out to make money on us poor, helpless, acne sufferers. this angers me because i am on my way to becoming a pharmacy technician, and i sure as hell am not a con artist. using a source like that only weakens your claims.

#7 missionaryman101

missionaryman101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:32 PM

I now believe that eggs can cause cystic breakouts anywhere near my nose....
I ate a few a few weeks ago and I got cysts all over my nose.. THey are gone, I havent had any eggs since then, and no more cystic breakouts!

This is also true as I went to cuba 5 years ago, ate eggs every day for breakfast and my face was absolutely disgusting and bumpy.... Thats when I had to go to a derm for antibiotics and a cream...

#8 katie_s

katie_s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hi- I'm a success case who was greatly helped by Sweet Jade.

I had to eliminate ALL grains and beans except brown rice. Including soy. I eliminated all sugar too (still ate fruit, but not tropicals, oranges etc). I stopped eating red meat for a few months, but have included it again. I've also re-introduced fructose- ie I'll drink juice, or have the occasional drink flavored with fructose. I really think that grains were the major culprit though- I'm not going to try it, but I think I could get away with having a bit of refined sugar if I wanted to, but grains would do me in (I had some chow mein a few months back and broke out).

Basically, I find that my diet correlates well with the blood type diet for type o (my type), so I follow those reccomendations (except I haven't had any of the beans or grains they deem as safe yet- maybe eventually wink.gif

That's all, hope it helps

#9 Locnar

Locnar

Locnar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(thebignosebandit @ Jun 2 2004, 08:46 AM)

also, you shouldnt use curezone.com as a source. seriously these guys claim dermatologists are con artists and the medical community is out to make money on us poor, helpless, acne sufferers. this angers me because i am on my way to becoming a pharmacy technician, and i sure as hell am not a con artist. using a source like that only weakens your claims.

Ha. That's what posters in this forum believe to be true. You mean you didn't know about the evil doctor/pharmacutical conspiracy? Seriously dude, don't waste your time. :wall:

#10 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:47 AM

Bignose & Locnar,
I only cited 1 curezone link and that was only because they simplified one of the elimination diets ;-)

Also, I never said that I could always predict which foods will give me a specific type of breakout. However some foods, some of which were my favorites (20 years of memories), I did unfortunately find correlations with. I retested again and again and it's even more shocking when you find that certain foods brought about acne in new places! On the hand, with gluten, I have no clue what it does, maybe a little of all types of acne, but eliminating it brought about not only an elimination of most of my acne, but it eliminated my horrible crying on the floor menstrual pains too.

Like Katie, I'm also a Type 0, but I don't follow the blood type diet. My father is a Type B and both of these types are the most prevelant in the U.S., Futhermore, according to the author of the blood type diet, Type B & O bloods are more likely to be Insulin Resistant or Type II Diabetic. It also says that we are more likely to be intolerant to Gluten and select Lectin proteins. I found out that information after I started my diet almost 2 years ago, and I honestly didn't expect to get the results that I did. I was still on Avandia (an Insulin sensitizer) and Spiro at the time and I was cautious about my results and nervous when I went off of the Avandia. Without the avandia, my skin still was doing good, bear in mind Spiro never brought me those results with BC or Avandia so why would it alone? (later dropped Spiro). I waited over a year before I really started to get confident about my dietary changes, and doing the research further supported that this is the way to go for most of us. Especially when you consider that 90% of Diabetics are Type II Diabetics and that this form, obesity, and a few other preventable diseases are drastically on the rise.

As for the Bananas, that is my fav too. It falls on the Evil Lectin Diet list, LOL, and also Perricone says that it will cause acne. The type of acne that these diets refer to is known as inflammatory acne. With certain lectins, they instill an inflammatory response, which is what at the very least cystic acne is. If you are Intolerant to foods (lack an enzyme for digesting them), then your body will have inflammation as one of your symptoms. How much of this particulary theory do I believe, let alone understand, not all, but I'm still trying.

Remember, "science is never exact, it is always changing". One decade they claim the reason for a health problem is this, and then several decades later they realize it was really because of something else. So as much as I love science and researching, I understand that it doesn't always have the "Golden Word". Science doesn't understand all the complexities of the human body, and proabably never will. Of course, again that doesn't mean we can't have fun trying ;-)

Take care

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:14 AM

Hey Katie,

So glad to hear you are doing wonderfully. =) Say, I'm trying to increase my intake of brown rice, and I've heard Basamati is good, but are there any others you favor?

Missionaryman,
I don't eat cooked eggs very often, but I never really did. Only in omelets and occassionaly scrambled (no dairy) which is maybe 1 - 2x a month max. No idea if that helps or not, but some people have found that cooked eggs do cause acne for them. On Healthboards, there's a poster known as Prometheus that says that cooked eggs are problematic according to the Paleodiet. Of course, you are welcome to eat (irradiated) raw eggs, but I would rather not for several reasons ;-)

Take Care

#12 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:24 AM

Jewboy,
Of course you can drink tea, if you really wanna fight that DHT, you should drink more Green Tea. You can drink it plain or with natural sweetners like fruit juice, brown rice syrup, true brown sugar, or you can try Xylitol. This is what I use whenever I drink tea and it tastes 99% like regular sugar without the cavity causing or insulin inducing power ;-)

If you wish to continue testing the elimination of gluten, the only brown bread you can have, must say glutenfree.

Gotta go, but I'll more later =)

#13 katie_s

katie_s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:42 PM

Say, I'm trying to increase my intake of brown rice, and I've heard Basamati is good, but are there any others you favor?

yeah, I eat organic brown basmati, and whatever kind they make brown rice pasta out of smile.gif. If I'm out for dinner and white rice is served I'll eat it, no problems noticed, but that's only happened 3-4 times. A friend also bought be some chocolate covered strawberries the otherday, and I ate one with her to be polite, and haven't noticed a problem yet...

brown rice is awesome with onions, which are an anti-inflammatory. I make mine with vegetable stock instead of water, then add fried onions (fried in grapeseed oil smile.gif ) and some tumeric (also anti-inflammatory)- it's so good!

#14 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:27 PM

Katie,

Thank you so much for those reccomendations. Learning how to cook and use various other ingredients and spices, makes a world of difference ;-)

Jewboy,
I forgot to mention that Soy is a problem for some people. It has the ability to spike IGF-1 and some people that were 90% clear, dropped the soy and become 100% clear. I eat soy derivatives occassionaly and occasionally use 100% soy sauce (regular ones have wheat) on my I have asian food, but it is not a daily staple for me (don't know if it affects more or not). So if that is something you wish to test one day, there are PLENTY of other milk options:

Potato Milk (big for those with food allergies)
Rice Milk
Coconut Milk
Almond Milk
Hazelnut Milk
Homemade nut milks - yes you can!

I really don't drink this stuff, but my fav. so far is the Almond milks from Almond Breeze (kinda tastes like chocolate), and the Pacifica Brand. I haven't tried the Potato milk yet, but if you want it's called Vance's Dairifree. Horchata Rice milk is good, minus the cinnamon, but that is something best made homemade so you can control the sugar content.

Oh and if you ever do get confused or overwhelmed, the best thing to do is keep a food diary. That way you can go back several days and see if you ate something that might have aggrevated you. This is particularly handy when you are eliminating foods but are adding in foods you've never eaten before, or rarely ate prior to changing your diet. That's how I discovered that certain nuts were a problem for me. I started eating them a lot more often, almost daily, then I was before changing my diet. ;-)

Take care

#15 Kelly

Kelly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:58 PM

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here,but i'm trying to track you down Sweetjade honey :wink:

I'm now really sticking with diet and i'm actually trying supplements too.I have a really big problem though because i never,ever thought for a moment that supplements would cost so much money!!!I'm talking £80 a month i'll have to spend!!!Not sure i can afford it but i'll stick with it for afew months and then review it.I'm going to completely stick with this diet for 6 weeks and then review it;

Oats for breakfast.
A piece of low glycemic fruit or berries for a snack;or some raw veggies.
Brazil nuts afew times a week.
Green tea(2-3 cups a day)

Lunch is fish with veggies or salad.

Dinner is lentil and veggies soup or a salad.

That's going to be it for 6 weeks and then i might think of adding other things.Although i may add wild rice in a couple of times a week sooner than that.

I'm trying to stick to low on the glycemic index,i'm avoiding peppers,tomatoes,soya and eggs.

Supplements;

Vitamin B complex
Vit E
Zinc
Copper(for the zinc)
EFA's
echinacea and goldenseal
Probiotics
Digestive enzymes
Milk thistle
Psyhillium husks
Chromium

I always read your posts because you seem to know lots about hormones and i think my acne is probably hormonal.Dianette is the only thing that completely cleared my skin so far.
At the moment i'm being tested for PCOS.I've also sent of bloods for a food intolerance test.I'm awaiting results from both things.I'm interested in if i have high testoerone levels.

I have the acne,more hair than i feel is normal,my periods were irregular before i went on the pill and were absent for over 6 months when i suffered from anorexia(i think i might have messed up my hormones when i was anorexic).

I want to get this stright in my mind;
Acne is caused by too much testosterone or the fact the your hair follicles and pores are overly sensitive to normal levels of the hormones,right?

So you obviuosly need to lower the levels of testosterone.

The low glycemic index diet works by lowering insulin levels which inturn lowers the levels of hormones being released by the ovaries?So less testosterone?

The supplements balance hormones???

I'm thinking of trying spiro too but maybe after i've seen how the diet and supplements go first.
Not sure what to do about the supplements though because it's expensive to keep up.Do you take any supplements?

So,what do you think to what i'm doing?Will i sort out my hormones this way?

I won't add any 'junk' foods to the diet until i have seen how this goes for 6 weeks.

#16 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:37 PM

Kelly,
I don't really have much time to respond, but I think you have the gist of it. Supplements will do what the diet or medication does, but you have to pick the right supplements and take them in Therapeutic Doses (more than the RDA). I'm currently looking more into supplements and herbs as certain ones can work as DHT inhibitors (Spiro, Dianette) or better yet DHT blockers (green tea, equol)!

The diet is good enough to cure most people's acne, but for those that don't want to restrict themselves entirely, that's where supplements come in. For us women that produce too much body hair than we are comfortable with or have hair growth problems, despite dietary changes (which help), we still need something to prevent our follicles from being soo sensitive. That's why I'm currently looking into Mega Folic Acid Therapy (40mg - 60mg). It includes Folic Acid, PABA (helps Folic Acid), Boron (estrogenic), and if you want Acidolphilus (makes folic acid) all of which work to be estrogenic in order to lower our testosterone levels! This has worked for one woman at SoulCysters and it was a side effect for her http://www.soulcyste...&threadid=75558 (check around for other remedies). This should also help with acne, but I want you to note that she didn't notice her acne improve until she altered her diet (extra time on the regimen may have been a factor too) so for some hormonal imbalances supplements and diet are a must (unless flushing works for you).

Like you, there's no way I can afford to spend $100 on supps. So I started looking for powder form. This is awesome because you can get most supplements in pure bulk powder form. Anywhere from 30g - 450g or several pounds. That means that your supplements will last longer and cost you less than your current $160!!! With the folic acid regimen above I was looking at around $45 at discount prices per month, and when I found powder for some of it, & it dropped down to $17/mo., but alas now I just need to wait til I get paid ;-) So definately do some web searching and see if you can find any such companies. Look up Bulk Powders, Bulk Foods, Bulk Supplements, Wholesale supplements, etc. If not, I suppose you might still save ordering overseas and I'll post you some links.

Bye for now =)

P.S. There's another woman that said Zinc & B6 worked for her. Both of which usually help eliminate acne. http://www.soulcyste...&threadid=75354

#17 Jewboy

Jewboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:53 PM

Kelly - Have you considered avoiding dairy? This has made a huge difference to me. I get a lot less acne now, i would be considered mod/severe cystic acne. At the mo its down to moderate/mild.
The cyst that do come up are a lot less inflamed and less painful than before.

Also i have been taking Lemon wated mixed with ACV..i think this has helped quite a bit. I tottaly reccomend it.

#18 Kelly

Kelly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:31 AM

Yeah,i'm avoiding dairy on the diet.I'm going to follow it completely for 6 weeks with the supplements and then decide if there is an improvement.

#19 Kelly

Kelly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:33 AM

Sweetjade;did you take spiro before you started the diet?Or after?How much would you say the spiro cleared your acne?

#20 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:18 PM

Kelly,
I've taken between 150mg - 200mg of Spiro for 6.5 years. During that time Spiro helped my acne by about an additional 30% (as this is how much DHT it prevents), based on the improvement I saw when I added it to BC or Avandia. So in total I was between 60% - 85% clear depending on the medication combo or if it was Summer (80-85%). Although doses as low as 25 - 50mg have cleared other female sufferers and I know some males that have taken up to 100mg and are also clear.

The last year on spiro, I took it only with my customized diet and the two together were THE best combo for my mild hirsutism, but not the perfect combo.

I stopped taking Spiro 6 months ago, and haven't noticed much of a difference in my skin, but my body hair noticed. Hairs that fell out are coming back in (some are falling out with my current regimen of Saw Palmetto - 1200mg), but even more horrifying is that more hairs/strays are popping up! Diet alone isn't as effective as Spiro alone would be, but the two combined are a great combo at fighting hirsutism that I've tried so far.

On the otherhand, it wasn't a perfect combo so I stopped in order to test out other natural DHT inhibitors. I would rather not take anything, but since once your hair follicles become sensitized to DHT, you must take a Blocker, or further reduce the Free Testosterone, or increase elimination of hormones by the liver, in order to reduce/eliminate your hair follicles reacting to what little amount of DHT you still produce.

Personally for me, this means, I must find something that is preferablly natural (as in my body already makes it or it can be considered food) and safe, but most importantly effective. If this mission fails, I'll try for Laser Removal (takes several tx), otherwise I guess I will be back on a higher dose of Spiro or hopefully better yet, Avodart.

So how are things going for you? Get your results back yet?

TTYS =)