Photo

Emu or Jojoba?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Peter

Peter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

I have read several posts on the benefits of these two oils. I'ev never heard of them before reading posts on this board. Which oil is better? Is each used to treat a seperate condition?

#2 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:15 AM

Both oils are excellent products for your skin, and both are much-of-a-muchness when it comes to their efficiency. Emu oil is supposedly better for dry skin, whereas jojoba is generally more effective than emu on balancing oily skins.
Both have similar benefits: they are non comedogenic, penetrate deep into pores, and help carry other ingredients such as tea tree oil or copper peptides (if you've applied these things beforehand) deeper into the skin so that they can be more effective.
Both are very good products - can't pick one I prefer! biggrin.gif

#3 Peter

Peter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the help Rossingnol. I think i have some dermatitis on my face. Also, my skin in general is oily yet sensitive. Would one be better for me?

#4 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

Hmm... :think: Well, I'm not a doctor so my advice isn't going to be the be-all and end-all, but I think that emu oil would be more effective for dermatitis, as it has more powerful anti-imflammatory properties than jojoba. The jojoba would probably be more effective on your oily skin tone, though.
Emu oil can be a little greasy when you put it on. Personally, I use jojoba for a day moisturiser and emu oil at night. That way, I get the best of both worlds! You could try purchasing small bottles or samples of each and see which suits you the best.
I would be tempted to go with emu first and see how that goes.
Hope this is useful.
(there's a lot of info on both oils if you do a search on google, incase you haven't already looked into that!) idea.gif

#5 Peter

Peter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, i Googled both oils and am still reading about them now. I saw that there are 1oz bottles of each offered by Jason Naturals. I think i will probably get one of each and try them one at a time. Thanks again.

#6 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

Good luck Peter, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
For an even more potent moisturiser, try adding drops of essential oils, such as manuka, tea tree or clary sage to the bottles of emu and jojoba. This will make the oils more anti-bacterial, and the base oils will carry the essential oils further into the skin - good for cysts.
:mrgreen:

#7 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

Some people have reported to actually break out from jojoba oil, me being one of them. Everytime i applied jojoba oil to my face i would get tiny little bumbs the next day or two.

#8 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:36 PM

That's quite unusual, Lumas... maybe you were allergic to something in it? Did the red bumps look like your usual acne? :think:

#9 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:41 PM

Nope, but after a few days they turned into white heads. It was also on my upper cheeks, a place i never get acne.

#10 DipItLow

DipItLow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:35 PM

so if you want things delivered deep down into your skin you apply them first then the jojoba or jojoba first and then product?

#11 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:59 PM

First you apply a product, such as BP. After applying the BP wait 5-10 minutes and apply the oil. The oil basically sinks through the BP (taking the BP with it) then goes through the skin.

#12 DipItLow

DipItLow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:03 PM

thank you. Ive asked that question like 50 tims on here and someone finally answered lol!

#13 Vivianne

Vivianne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Rossignol @ May 29 2004, 10:37 AM)

For an even more potent moisturiser, try adding drops of essential oils, such as manuka, tea tree or clary sage to the bottles of emu and jojoba. This will make the oils more anti-bacterial, and the base oils will carry the essential oils further into the skin - good for cysts.
:mrgreen:

hello!! Twas you that I first heard of jojoba oil from - thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Have you ever tried Rose Geranium essential oil with the Jojoba?? I have some and it says on the bottle good for acne. A bit apprehensive to try anything new.

#14 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:45 AM

Hi Vivianne! Glad you like the jojoba oil! smile.gif
There are lots of essential oils that can have a helpful effect on acne and scarring, all of which you can add to the jojoba oil.
I have not heard of rose geranium, although that's not to say it isn't going to be beneficial. There is an essential oil called 'rose absolute', which this may be similar to. In the information from livingnature, rose absolute is described as follows:
[I]"the queen of oils. An excellent emollient and skin hydrator for all skins. Avoid during pregnancy" [I]
Although it doesn't mention anything about acne, it sounds like a highly beneficial oil to use. Also similar is rosehip oil, which is supposed to aid in tissue regeneration for scarring and burns. I think that all rose oils contain high levels of essential fatty acids, which are very beneficial for acne and for skin health in general.
If I was you, I would add about ten drops of the rose oil to the jojoba bottle depending on its size. It certainly won't harm your skin, and even if it doesn't help with your acne, it will help keep your skin youthful! B)

Incase your interested, the list of essential oils I have that are beneficial for acne are:
Bergamot, Carrot, Clary Sage, Geranium (ooh - that might be the oil you're thinking of - it says that it is cleansing and balancing on acne and a hormone regulant) , grapefruit, juniper, lavender, lemon, lemongrass, lime, manuka, orange, patchouli, peppermint, tea tree and ylang ylang...
Not an exhaustive list I'm sure but you can see how many oils there are to choose from!
If you find a good aromatherapy store (such as fortunate garden at ebay) you could try experimenting!
Have fun!
Paul idea.gif

#15 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:29 AM

Essential oils are good for the skin and Carrier oils have transdermal (carries it deeper into the skin) perties right? I'm too lazy to do a search now. hehe.

I like to use lavender oils to mix in with bentonite clay & ACV to make a face mask. Now I add a few drops of emu into it too, and I think that it's made it even better. HOoah! user posted image

#16 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

Yeah carrier oils such as emu, jojoba and purcellin are the ones that are transdermal, but they're also good for the skin too JC! biggrin.gif
Essential oils are good for the skin and Carrier oils have transdermal (carries it deeper into the skin) perties right?

I might try some lavender, I've heard a lot of people raving about it. Also, the fact that you use bentonite clay as a face mask is interesting - all the livingnature.com peels include Halloysite clay, about which they say:

Hallosite clay is a unique ingredient that I researched while running the laboratory at New Zealand China Clays. Situated at Matauri Bay in the Bay of Islands New Zealand, the clay is of the whistest in the world. It has a specific structure which forms a molecular sieve, specifically absorbing toxins and heavy metals and in fact makes an excellent water filter. It attracts ionically (magnetically on a molecular level) and gently draws the toxins out of the upper layers of the skin, while also acting like a poultice and drawing fresh lymph and blood to the area. In a similar way to how the skin goes red in toxic areas during a massage, often the skin will also respond with red patches where the blood has brought fresh oxygen to the cells and removed waste and the lymph has brought fresh white blood cells to fight infection particularly noted in acne skin types.

Does Bentonite clay work in a similar way? I'm interested in trying something other than acids to do peels with, as my skin is still too sensitive to use lactic, glycolic or TCA since it's only 6 weeks since I finished accutane.
:think:

#17 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Rossignol @ May 31 2004, 12:39 PM)
the clay is of the whistest in the world.

Did they mean to say "whitest"? :blink:

Yea, I think that bentonite clay does about the same thing. Here's a quote: "Bentonite masks may be helpful in drawing out toxins. These masks are usually left in place for 10 to 15 minutes, removed by rinsing or gentle rubbing with a soft wash cloth and applied three times per week."

http://www.diagnose-...at/T222139.html <-It's not the best site, but I'm sure that there are more out there.

I love this mask cause...for one, it's very cheap...and it makes my face feel SO smooth after.

What I do is:
1 part BC
1 part ACV
few drops lavender or tea tree or maybe both
a few drops of emu oil

Mix together, and wet on face. You need VERY little for it to cover your entire face, cause it's practically watered down. Thing is, it dries up very hard.

What I like to do is.....after about 10-15 minutes after it dries up, if I have any solution left over, then I just reapply again, making it moist....the dries....then moist...then dries.....hehe. Fun fun. user posted image

#18 Peter

Peter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

After conducting a search for the oils, it seems that Emu oil is not as easy to find as jojoba oil. Where does everyone purchase their Emu and Jojoba oils? Do you go to a health store, or online?

#19 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:47 PM

In my health food store they carry both, but more jojoba oil selection rather than emu.

You can always find them on eBay.

#20 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:06 PM

Yeah I get both of mine from ebay. I can provide you for the link for an emu oil seller if you want, although they only ship to the UK... doubt.gif