Photo

Man in the Mirror: Pre and Post Subcision Photos

subcision tca

Best Answer alex13, 07 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys, I have had a pretty nasty acne since age 14 (the worst - cystic acne) and now it seems I managed to reduce it to one or two pimples (no milk, no cow products, no sugar or spicy foods) :(. I am 22 now I got a few nasty scars and dont know how to get rid of them. I didn`t read all your thread but I want some expert advice from you !

In my country - romania - we don`t have lots of options for acne scar treatments and the one that are available are very expensive, but I want to try one of these :

1. Microdermabrasion with cristals

2. Microdermabrasion with diamonds

They say it would help a lot, the one with diamonds seems to be better. What do you guys think ? should I give money for something like that ? and also, is there any cream that I should search for ? or maybe some natural stuff that I can eat ? however the scars are pretty old , 7 years old and i don`t know if anything internally would change them. Please respond with your info ! I really need it.

I aprecciate a lot, Alex

Go to the full post

398 replies to this topic

#361 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 68
About Me

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks.  It's been a four year journey that continues to this day.

There are some great people on this site who have encouraged me along the way.

One of the important things that my dermatologist taught me about the skin was the importance of antioxidants in protecting and aiding in the healing of the skin as well as the importance of topicals and a good diet.

Based upon his information, I set out on 'quest' to learn more about how the skin works and how our diet and exercise affect our skin.

Along the way, I read a book that I would like to recommend to people who follow this thread.  For me, it has been one of THE most informative books I've read on how to care for you skin from the inside/out.

The book is entitled "Your Skin, Younger' and was written by three doctors.  I've checked it out for the second time from my local library.

It contains a wealth of information about topicals, supplements, and the research behind them.  It's an outstanding book that I would recommend to anyone with acne scarring.

Two of the antioxidants that I use are Alpha Lipoic Acid and Tumeric.  I use a topical form of Alpha Lipoic Acid on my face (Reviva Labs).  I buy my Tumeric capsules from Wal-Mart.  They have the lowest price that I have found.

I've eliminated virtually all processed foods (to the greatest extent that this is possible in the U.S.), stopped drinking soda, and mainly drink tea or water.

I believe changing my diet and incorporating supplements and the right type of topicals has greated aided in the reduction of the appearance of my acne scarring. Take a look at my baseline photos - they show the poor texture my skin had along with lines and acne scars on both cheeks and my chin.

If there is one thing that I've learned about acne scar reduction is this:  it takes time and multiple modalities to see improvement.  You have to be consistent.  For example, I dermaroll every six weeks.  I do one to two 25% TCA peels a year, I wear Retin-A every other day, I use a topical cream on my face daily, and I wear sunscreen seven days a week.  

Keep up the good fight, my friends. We're all in this together.

Matt

#362 crystalized

crystalized

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

I'm an advocate of that book too, Matt. Amazingly informative and easy to understand from my layman perspective.

Some quick wins people can make in their diets is encorporating tea and smoothies. My tea cupboard now consists of Rooibos, Green, Fennel, Nettle, Ginger and a couple of other antioxidant rich teas. I tend to have 2-3 cups per day, rotating through them in turn (variety is the spice of life, right?).

As for smoothies, I picked up a $100 blender and each morning make a pint-sized smoothie. In one pint you can fit (for example) three carrots, handful of blueberries, handful of kale (bizarrely kale is flavourless when blended), one banana, 2-3 florets of broccoli and half a pint of milk (or water). Amazing in terms of time/effort versus reward. Plus, they taste awesome.

Edited by crystalized, 05 April 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#363 spartan32

spartan32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Matt,

I am considering buying the Reviva Labs Alpha Lipoic Acid Vitamin C Ester and DMAE Cream that you recommended.

1. I still apply BP during the day and Tazorac at night.  if i get this product I would have to apply it during the day.  Is this moisturizing enough to be a stand alone moisturizer or do you think I would have to apply this in addition to my regular moisturizer after applying BP?

2.  Do you use it every single day?

I got subcision done about a week away and I will be getting more treatments in the future.  I am also considering dermarolling as you discussed so I want to get the best possible results.  Thanks in advance.

#364 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

I do use this product everyday and typically apply it in the morning and sometimes at night, too.

I'm not sure how the BP might interact with this product.

I'm glad to hear that you had your first round of subcision. Hopefully, you'll see some improvement over time..

Dermarolling in conjunction with the subcision and the topicals should also help with the collagen remodeling process.

#365 michael24

michael24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Matt have you used Copper peptides? I have read that some people reported bad side effects but, most were using it to just treat wrinkles without having any type of procedure done. GHK-CU (copper peptides) are better used after procedures because they dramitically help with wound healing, stimulation of collagen, etc. I am thinking that using after subcision, dermarolling, and/or needling may help.

A 2% GHK gel showed promising results in treatment of 120 diabetic patients, increasing the percentage of ulcer closure from 60.8% to 98.5%, and decreasing the percentage of infection from 34% to 7%.

#366 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

I used copper peptides once, but didn't use them again after that.

#367 michael24

michael24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

I used copper peptides once, but didn't use them again after that.

Any particular reason?

#368 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Not really any particular reason.

I may revisit using them down the road.

#369 emc2

emc2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

Yea your face seems like you never had them before...I have to ask, I hav some tiny things on my cheek that look like ice picks..does this procedure work on them?

Yea your face seems like you never had them before...I have to ask, I hav some tiny things on my cheek that look like ice picks..does this procedure work on them?

#370 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

If you have ice pick or scarred pores, subcision won't do anything for them.

Subcision works well for rolling scars as the Nokor needle undermines the tethered fibrous scar tissue that holds the epidermis down.

My doctor peformed TCA CROSS (cross= chemical reconstruction of scarred skin) on several scarred pores/ice pick scars that I had on my chin and nose.  I know that some people perform TCA CROSS on their faces themselves, but I don't recommend that you do this.

I think it's best performed by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who knows what they are doing.  Why mess up your skin anymore than it already is and take the chance of damaging your complexion?

Yes, I have seen quite a bit of improvement, but it was a journey that took several years and didn't occur overnight.  My skin is not perfect today; I have a couple of scars that evaded the Nokor needle completely and have some minor scarring on the left side of my chin, but I am content with how my face looks today.  Overall, I believe that my improvement was in the 70-80% range and I can live with that.

Life is good. :)

Edited by mr. matt, 27 April 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#371 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well I did start suctioning my re-depressing scar after my subcision but I think I did it a little too late. If the swelling is basically non-existant do you think suction would even still help? Or should I just wait it out now? My other deep scar is still raised with a knot under it so thats a good sign, i decided not to touch that one.

#372 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

If you're within five days of your subcision treatment, I would go ahead with suctioning your face and do it for the length of time done in the study.

My most dramatic results came from combining subcision with suctioning.

#373 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hey Matt, Just wanted to check up and see how things are going with you. I wanted to thank you again for providing me with so much information. If it wasnt for this thread I would have never found the doctor youve been seeing. I believe youve got alot of good coming to you for how youve helped so many people and even had the courage to approach a doctor with the case study on subcision and agree to embark on this quest. Thanks man, seriously. I mean that. On a further note I thought ide ask you about the tca cross that youve had. We all dont hear much about that. Ive heard mostly about the subcision. What was the downtime, aftercare, and results after the TCA cross?, Thanks           -Adam

#374 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Adam:

Great to hear from you.

I'm doing well. I'm continuing to take my supplements and will do dermarolling tonight.

I saw my mother-in-law for the first time since Christmas and the first thing she said was, 'You keep getting younger and younger looking each time I see you." Collagen development can do amazing things for your complexion/appearance.

I had TCA CROSS done about four years ago. It was not painful and my skin actually healed up in about three days. My nose and chin had a number of scarred pores and they responded well.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to wear their sunscreen - UVA/UVB rays can damage your skin's DNA and collagen.

Matt

#375 alex13

alex13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:09 PM   Best Answer

Hey guys, I have had a pretty nasty acne since age 14 (the worst - cystic acne) and now it seems I managed to reduce it to one or two pimples (no milk, no cow products, no sugar or spicy foods) :(. I am 22 now I got a few nasty scars and dont know how to get rid of them. I didn`t read all your thread but I want some expert advice from you !

In my country - romania - we don`t have lots of options for acne scar treatments and the one that are available are very expensive, but I want to try one of these :

They say it would help a lot, the one with diamonds seems to be better. What do you guys think ? should I give money for something like that ? and also, is there any cream that I should search for ? or maybe some natural stuff that I can eat ? however the scars are pretty old , 7 years old and i don`t know if anything internally would change them. Please respond with your info ! I really need it.

I aprecciate a lot, Alex

#376 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

I don't believe that microdermabrasion will do much, if anything, if you have deep rolling scars.

Subcision is the best option for people with tethered rolling scars. 

As far as topical creams are concerned, prescription strength Retin-A will help improve the texture of your skin but won't remove your acne scars.

I use a topical cream from Reviva Labs which contains ester C, alpha lipoic acid, and DMAE.  It moisturizes and tightens your skin while providing your skin with powerful antioxidants.

If subcision is not performed in your country, consider buying a dermaroller.  I think that dermarolling is as powerful as some lasers.

Matt

#377 Frax1

Frax1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi Matt,

I had my 7th subcision six weeks ago and I used the suction method right from the start. I already used suction for my previous subcision and it really helped the improvement.

However, I feel a couple of "lumps" under the skin where the skin was treated. I do not know if they result from the more aggressive treatment by the doctor who performed a "fanning" technique which is different than the techniques he did for my previous subcisions.

These lumps have improved over the last weeks but have not yet gone away. They cannot be seen, only felt when touching the skin. They are a bit harder than the surrounding skin. I´m afraid that they could stay and form a kind of keloid below the skin. 

Did you experience the same? How long did your swelling last?

Thank you!

Edited by Frax1, 13 June 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#378 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

I did have some 'lumps' from my last subcision treatment.  I'm not sure if they were directly from the subcision procedure itself or from suctioning or a combination of both.

If I remember correctly, it took about eight to ten weeks for the lumps to subside.

#379 Frax1

Frax1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thank you for your quick reply, Matt!

Do you plan to do more subcisions or would you rather go for other treatments?

I am asking because my doctors doubted that I would see improvement from this and my last subcision. However, I had additional improvement because of suctioning.

Hi Alex, 

Scar treatment in Europe really sucks (I am from Europe too). I had my subcisions done in the US when I have been there for vacation. If you can go the US, I would do this first. I would not recommend doing the aggressive dermabrasio methods some still do in Europe, it does not help much with scars, the downtime is very long and your skin takes forever to heal. 

#380 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Right now, I am satisfied with how my complexion looks.

As I've mentioned in the past, my skin is not perfect today even after all of the subcision treatments, laser treatments, TCA CROSS

peels, etc.

I still have some visible scarring that doesn't show up very well in photos which I think tells me that I've had considerable progress over the four + year journey of acne scar revision that I've been on.

I'm going to still dermaroll every six weeks, do two TCA Peels a year, apply antioxidant cream to my face and sunscreen everyday to maintain what progress that I have enjoyed so far.

Going into this, I knew better than to expect 100% improvement especially with the deep type of scarring that I had in certain areas.  All in all, I would say that I've had at least 70% sustained improvement. That's improvement that I can live with.  hifive.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users