Photo

vacation in the sun and accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrs cowell

mrs cowell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

is it okay to go to a warm/hot place on vacation while on accutane? if you put like strong sunscreen on your skin can you tan a little?

#2 sarah Oliver

sarah Oliver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (mrs cowell @ Apr 14 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it okay to go to a warm/hot place on vacation while on accutane? if you put like strong sunscreen on your skin can you tan a little?

Yes, you can. I am so used to tanning with a bunch of oil and NO sunscreen when I'm not on accutane. It's terrible, but I never sunburn. On accutane I have to put SPF 45 on or else I notice I get red. The sunburns go away though, and they fade into a tan. I'd never gotten a sunburn until I went on accutane and when I did I was like "What is this!"

#3 paquita

paquita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

PLEASE don't. cant you postpone this after your course? I think it's crazy even with 100 spf

#4 lifesover

lifesover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

I went camping on accutane and the temperature happened to be 30 Celsius. My nose peeled so bad it was so embarrassing mostly cause it was trip with my classmates. Anyways my nose was peeled and looked horrible for about a month after the trip. I wore sunscreen but accutane is one powerful drug! live and learn

#5 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

If you must tan, bring a sunscreen with a high SPF. You should apply extra during the peak hours of the day. Take caution, but more importantly, have a great vacation.

#6 Guest_tofupup_*

Guest_tofupup_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Deliberately tanning while on accutane seems like a terrible idea. Incidental tanning during outdoor activities can't be totally avoided, but still isn't good.

I got a lot of sun exposure while on accutane because I surfed every day --- BUT I made sure I only surfed in the early, early morning hours and I wore massive sunblock and it was the winter. And my dermatologist (who also surfs) still yellled at me and said that's why I had red lobster skin during the accutane. I told him I disagreed, because I always surf and my skin tans, not burns.

Then he told me that it doesn't matter if my skin has never burned before-- accutane changes your skin while you're on it. In hindsight, I think he was right; I think the incredibly unattractive red lobster face I constantly had while on accutane was due in large part to the sun exposure.

I also think I got a lot more sun spots -- which have never faded -- during those five months i was on accutane than I had ever had gotten cummulatively during ten years of prior surfing. And sun spots (aka age spots) are totally not attractive. You will not be stoked when you're 35 and have sun spots on your skin that most people only get after the age of 60. sad.gif

#7 dancedivine

dancedivine

SillyMe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

I live in Hawaii where it's hard to avoid the sun... My advice is to get yourself a long-sleeved rash guard & a good SPF-rated wide brimmed hat. I couldn't survive without my protective sun barriers... I also have an SPF-rated umbrella that I carry with me when I know I'll be walking around a lot (at the zoo, etc). When I go to the beach, I always take my SPF-rated beach umbrella so I can chill out in the shade. Most importantly, I never hit the water without my long-sleeved rash guard & tons of sunscreen re-applied constantly. Get yourself a rash guard & wear it religiously. You see tourists who look like lobsters all the time out here. They just don't realize how strong the sun is... and sunscreen, unfortunately, doesn't always cut it. The best protection is a physical barrier, so get yourself one. smile.gif

#8 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (dancedivine @ Apr 20 2009, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in Hawaii where it's hard to avoid the sun... My advice is to get yourself a long-sleeved rash guard & a good SPF-rated wide brimmed hat. I couldn't survive without my protective sun barriers... I also have an SPF-rated umbrella that I carry with me when I know I'll be walking around a lot (at the zoo, etc). When I go to the beach, I always take my SPF-rated beach umbrella so I can chill out in the shade. Most importantly, I never hit the water without my long-sleeved rash guard & tons of sunscreen re-applied constantly. Get yourself a rash guard & wear it religiously. You see tourists who look like lobsters all the time out here. They just don't realize how strong the sun is... and sunscreen, unfortunately, doesn't always cut it. The best protection is a physical barrier, so get yourself one. smile.gif

That's great advice, thanks. (We want to plan a trip to a sun-filled paradise sometime soon).