3 replies to this topic

#1 rosalinda

rosalinda

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:51 AM

Hello there,
I've been meaning to post this for a while since this new branch of the board came up, now here I go...

According to the most wonderful book ever on acne (not that there are heaps of them oddly enough) Acne RX by James Fulton, MD, the one sciencetifically proven dietary irritant is iodine. Although everyone’s body chemistry is unique and different of course and this information is dated from 1984 I believe.

Foods that are high in iodine are foremost: KELP, beef liver, turkey, broccoli, onions and asparagus and wheat germ. But Kelp (carrageen and agar flakes also are seaweeds) is by and away the most potent source of iodine. Sea Salt and shellfish are oddly not. Kelp is often used to bind wholesome health food vitamins together so look at your labels please and used extensively in Japanese cooking (Miso soup are made with Kelp broth and of course nori rolls are that green kelp paper wrapping, tempura dripping sauce is often made with kelp broth –dashi- if I’m not mistaken).

Yes, you do have valid excuse to decline broccoli now. The diet is really so, so easy which is a real plus.

I was a rather a freak about steamed broccoli (with seaweed! and sesame flakes) almost nightly and also sushi and those rice crackers too, so my head was spinning when I read this. Like all of us I suppose, I’ve try so many angles of approach, that It’s hard to pinpoint one and say this was when everything is all better, but I believe Iodine definitely was a deciding factor for me.

Perhaps someone more web savvy than myself would be able to find an exact index of iodine content. Thank you very much.

Hope this helps, Rosalinda

#2 mandy97

mandy97

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:14 PM

Hi,

Centrum and other multivitamins have iodine in them. So if you're sensitive to it- watch out!

#3 vaudor

vaudor

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:39 AM

Well that's strange. Antiseptic / antifungal lotions that are used against acne, such as Betadine, contain 10 % iodine.

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:06 AM

But I love broccoli sad.gif

I never heard of betadine for acne. They use it as a pre-op for surgery on the skin, but not for acne. :eh:
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users