Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

azelaic acid and treinoin(retin-a) together?

4 posts in this topic

I was going to start a regimen with either over-the-counter or prescription azelaic acid cream (azelex or melazepam) and tretinoin(retin-a) cream. I plan on using the retin-a only at night and the azelaic acid cream both morning and night. Will the azelaic acid cream and retin-a interfere with each other when worn together?

That's too much to start out with, imo.

Try this:

Week one: Use each product 1 out of 3 nights (not the same day).

Week two: Use each product on alternate nights.

Week three: Use each product 2 out of 3 days; on the days you use both, use azelaic in the AM and retin A at night.

Week four: Use each product daily, azelaic in the AM and retin A at night.

If at any time your skin gets red, sore, and irritated, STOP using BOTH products until things go back to normal. Then pick up where you left off.

Retired from Acne.org

i'm actually thinking about asking my derm about this when i see him on tuesday! i was on finacea last summer. it didn't help with my acne but within two weeks it had worked a miracle on my scars. i'm on tazorac now, which is working, but i'm thinking it's gona need a few more months to start working on the scars and i'd like a boost. i was hoping once i'm completely clear from the taz perhaps the finacea would be good enough for maintenance...

ohh that is really intersting.

i have both those creams but have just been using the Retin A gel but only once every 4 nights. its working great but i was a bit like what shall i do on the other days. well now i know! i will get my azelaic acid cream back out and start using it on days im not using Retin A and hopefully they will combat the acne together!