Photo

Anyone strictly on the Atkins Diet here??

atkins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 Scotty_G

Scotty_G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:53 PM

Atkins promotes foods high in fat. Give me a break! Some people are just stupid like this guy. If you are going to do a low carb diet to some finetuning especially when it comes to fats. Atkins probably tells you to eat bacon all the time ....

#22 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:26 PM

Atkins died weighing 245 lbs at around 6'1" (?) ...he claimed that it was because of the "water retention" he gained when he was hospitalized. rolleyes.gif

#23 smacks487

smacks487

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:45 PM

when did he die?

#24 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

Atkins dies Feb. 17th / 2003 - http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/2957343.stm

Atkins dies a fat man - http://www.medicalne...php?newsid=5822

#25 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ May 30 2004, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE(dudeman @ May 30 2004, 08:41 PM)
Hehe. I find the Atkins Diet to be completely ridiculous, not to mention dangerously unhealthy.

How is it dangerously unhealthy?

It deprives the body of the energy it needs. Too much emphasis on carbs instead of glycemic index. The diet's supporters seem to fail to recognize that the body NEEDS GOOD carbs. Not only that, but it's a diet high in animal meat fats, which aren't all that good for you.

People may lose weight, but they end up depriving the brain of proper energy through the metabolism of healthy carbs, and they put far too much stress on the liver and other organs by the silly excess of poor fats and proteins.

There is a lot to be said about minimizing BAD CARBS. That is a very good thing. But the Atkins Diet, for the most part, fails to differentiate the two: bad carbs, and good carbs.

#26 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:16 PM

Yeah...I'm sure that the Atkin's diet will work very quickly. That's what fad diets are. However, they make you believe that you're making gains, but in the long run, it's not gonna happen.

Everyone should just do the moderation diet! For example, the other day, I only had two slices of pizza, compared to my usual 10. I didn't feel bloated, or gorged afterwards, and I was totally satisfied.

#27 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:13 AM

oh yeah, and the atkins diet can make you reek of b.o.! all the protien makes you stink... :sick:

#28 jonyrotten

jonyrotten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:51 PM

I don't mean to put anyone on the spot or say they are right or wrong but someone mentioned good carbs vs. bad carbs, as a biology teacher with over 11 years of surgical experience (mainly trauma surgery) I'm curious to hear the difference, so many people I hear from don't fully understand how the macromolecules are made (photosythesis) used, or metabolized.

Dr. Adkins died because of a blow to the head my guess, a sub-dural hematoma and the reason he was so heavy was because of edema I imagine he swelled up like the Michelin Man. Edema is an excessive accumulation of serous fluid in tissue spaces or a body cavity, when collecting in the abdominal cavity it can make a skinny man look like he's 9 months pregnant. Oh, and he didn't claim anything he was a vegtable at that point. :lol: The meat guy was a veg! :lol: I know sick joke!

The thoery behind his diet is that too much Insulin in the blood is a bad thing and makes for insulin resistance over time, the theory is correct and is now well supported. Insuln is key to sugar metabolism, all carbohydrates are sugars, if you reduce the amount of sugar you inturn reduce the amount of insulin. The health feild is finally seeing this now that the studies have had time to present results on a larger, longer scale, a slow and caution process and understandably so. Insulin promotes fat storage, and can be directy linked to athrosclerosis, high blood pressure and directly effects HDL and LDL levels. And as for the dreaded Ketones :o , a broken piece of fat still usable for energy if not yet expelled in urine. :eek: God forbid we use our fat stores as our main source of E instead of sugars. Drink the amount of H20 we are supposed to and you'll be FINE!!!!

And for those thinking of doing the Adkins diet the weight lose is actually a side effect of the change in diet... My mother is a type II diabetic (insulin resistance) and she was struggling and was to the point of injections so after doing extensive research I suggested she try it, she was off all meds intented to control her sugar levels (physician directed of course) in three weeks- three weeks NO POOP- her tryglycerides, HDL's and LDL's were in a normal to good range for the first time in many years, her pressure has always been good (heredity). This is becoming a common story. I'm so happy for her!

I'm not selling Adkins, actually if your interested in the physiology of it all read 'Protien Power' or better yet pick up a text book and talk with a cellular biologist (go to a college) then a physician rather than cite junk science web sites and talk about what you've heard rather than what you've researched yourself. Many of them reluctantly tryed it prior to putting thier diabetic patients on something similar once they desperatly ran out of options for that patient then found it works. The food pyramid is upside down I've know that for years, I've never done Adkins my diet was similar tho very low carbs - lots of greens and vegies for cellulose (fiber, a form of undigestable carb) MEDIUM fats, and lots of protiens and I was a novice bodybuilder with lots of energy- from fats not sugars and amino acids (protiens) for cell growth! The way our bodies have evolved to work!

#29 jonyrotten

jonyrotten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

biggrin.gif Right on SweetJade sounds like you are learning to become very intune with your body. That's awesome! biggrin.gif