Photo

Anyone strictly on the Atkins Diet here??

atkins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:37 PM

Man sues Atkins over heart problems

Diet company stands by plan

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) -- A businessman sued the promoters of the Atkins Diet and the estate of founder Dr. Robert Atkins, alleging that the low-carb, high-fat meal plan clogged his arteries and threatened his health.

http://www.cnn.com/2...t.ap/index.html

I would definitely not want to go on the Atkins diet, as I believe that moderation is the key. There haven't been any real long term studies done on it yet, but the outlook doesn't look promising. The short-term gains are deceiving. In any case, good luck with whichever diet you stick with! user posted image
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#2 turbo

turbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

low fat low carb it is all just a phaze well balanced diets are better
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#3 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

It's more like a fad, rather than a phase. But a rose by any other name...

#4 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:20 PM

It's more like...more proof that American's always go class-action lawsuit crazy.

#5 Fame

Fame

All About this U

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:42 PM

I believe Low Carb is for very overweight people. But Low Carb/high fat is ridiculous imo.

Watch your carbs, watch your fats and exercise and it will all come together.
We Dont Care About No one but this U. 2004 STATE CHAMPIONS.

#6 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ May 27 2004, 08:06 PM)
Proof that dumb, fat people will sue over anything.

Actually, he's skinny as hell. I was expecting him to be fat too..but he wasn't. I was surprised.

To answer the question..hell not I'm not on Atkins. Meat is poison. Not to mention I'm an animal rights activist so... :snooty:

#7 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:28 AM

As much as I like subway sandwiches, I hate that Jared guy. He can't act, and just tries to be a marketing tool of the company. user posted image

#8 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

i hate jared too...and subway makes me sick...hey, maybe that's how jared got so skinny... :mrgreen:

anyhooo...one of my best friends is doing the atkins diet. he is huge (6'4" and 350lbs). he has lost 30 or so lbs but at what cost? he is feeling sicker than normal and doesn't have much energy. he is actually pretty good about eating fairly well balanced...well, as well balanced as you can on that diet. i think it just isn't too healthy to eat all of that red meat, cream, and fat....

#9 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:53 AM

People get latched onto these fad diets so quickly. Diets which require you to eat in EXTREME measures are so difficult to maintain. But even then, those dieting companies have already made their money. user posted image

#10 Image101

Image101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

Actually, he's skinny as hell. I was expecting him to be fat too..but he wasn't. I was surprised.

To answer the question..hell not I'm not on Atkins. Meat is poison. Not to mention I'm an animal rights activist so... 

I couldn't imagine not eating meat...my muscles would make my arm slap me if I tried feeding it soy protein...not to mention I love meat haha.
My sister is a serious PETA zealot, I can't stand those damn pamphlets and crap they send her that come in the mail, and her diet is HORRIBLE (basically fried tofu with soy sauce). Luckily she has a good metabolism so she isn't a 250 lb giant (not yet anyway), but then again her diet is not what it should be for a vegan.

EDIT: Just wanted to add i'm not bashing or critisizing you in any way, I have great respect for people who manage to avoid all animal products, I just hate PETA smile.gif.
Acne sux

#11 tiger88

tiger88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:30 PM

well a solid bodybuilding diet is usualy low carb high protein

me personally i eat few carbs though but still consume them because with out carbs u cant make the big muscle gains

i try to consume around 300-350 grams of protein a day

100 crabs and

fat is mixed usally depending on the number of eggs or steaks i eat...

#12 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Image101 @ May 28 2004, 05:43 PM)
EDIT: Just wanted to add i'm not bashing or critisizing you in any way, I have great respect for people who manage to avoid all animal products, I just hate PETA smile.gif.

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. wink.gif I'm not a member of PETA. I think they do good things..but sometimes they go about it the wrong way.

#13 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:08 AM

Carbs are energy. If you don't need a lot of energy, why would you eat a lot carbs? I eat high protein, fairly high fat, moderate carbs. I lift weights, so I don't need as much carbs as I would if I trained for a marathon. No carbs and the fat you eat is used as energy, so you can get away with eating a lot of fat.

Never been on the Atkins diet, but I've been on a ketogenic diet. I believe that Atkins is also ketogenic in the beginning anyway. Ketogenic diet worked really well for burning fat without being hungry altough my energy level was not as high as they are with carbs. Lifting weights requires glycogen and without carbs there is not a lot of glycogen

Just remember that majority of people in the western world are on a high carb AND high fat diet and they are usually also very inactive. So I'd say that any "diet" is better than that.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#14 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

Animal rights are crazy. Circle of Life -- If cheetahs can kill gazelles, why can't we kill both? smile.gif

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

Sam.
I agree with you. Those of us in the West do eat Very High Carb, High Fat, and/or High Calorie diets. All of these things contribute to Insulin Resistance, which can later, if not controlled, develop into a wide variety of health disorders, some of which are on the rise.

Nearly 2 years ago, I changed my diet. I've made changes before, but never found anything that worked. So I did a form of low-carbing by eliminating gluten. In the begginning, I was eating slightly like atkins (or paleodiet) in regards to the animal protein. It felt wierd though, to just eat the meat with no anything (lettuce leaves wraps are better), plus I've never been a fan of greasy stuff. Regardless, I was consuming more animal protein, incl. eating eggs & bacon nearly every sunday, and that was pretty much the extent of it. As a result of dropping Gluten, I lost fiber (I rarely eat gluten-free whole grains even now or enough vegetables), and so I developed IBS symptoms 3 months later. It was to the point that even my taking Fish Oils capsules, Multiivitamin capsules severely ticked my body off. After doing dozens of various tests (parasites, yeast infections) I was told to take more fiber (that was gut instinct) and whola, those problems went away =)

During that time though, I was following my gluten-free diet, eating a bit more animal fat, consuming fish oil capsules, taking Spironolactone (150mg), and taking Avandia (4mg). Before my dietary changes, I was 75% - 85% clear (85% is during summer only) and my cholesterol levels were in the normal range. After making those changes, while still taking the same drugs, despite lacking fiber, my acne was 95% clear ( 99% for almost 18 months now) and my LDL and Triglycerides were BELOW the normal-low range!

So there is definately something to be said for altering your diets. I no longer take any prescription DHT-inhibitors (stopped 6 months ago) or Insulin Sensitizers (stopped 20 months ago), but I have been working on natural DHT inhibitor solutions for the past 2 months. I don't eat atkins-like now. I actually eat more carbohydrates now than I do animal protein or fats. I think I'm somewhere around:

45% - 50% Carbs + 40% - 45% Protein + 10% - 15% Fats.

Considering that I had to drop 90% of my former processed food (has gluten or bad oils), I definetely consume a lot less animal protein than I used to. Although, I replaced some of that loss with more plant protein (as in nuts). I reduced my carbohydrate intake by 50% so now I consume 200g - 300g a day of Carbohydrates. I don't carb or calorie count though, so I don't restrict myself from eating foods (that don't cause me problems) when I want.

Except for table sugar, I eat tons of high glycemic carbs and I don't react. I think some people are lucky if all they have to do is worry about the Glycemic Load, but I eat foods that defy that logic with no problems (most don't think of mimickers). There are empirically validated studies that show that its OK, and even a good idea, to eat certain high glycemic carbs, over other types, because they (outside of added fiber for some, they can't quite fig. out how), are healthier in regards to controlling our blood sugar and other health disorders!

In regards to this lawsuit, he's hardly asking for much money. I think that unfortunately, he didn't really do his research (can one book have ALL the answers?). After the Induction phase, If I recall correctly, you can go up to eating 150 NET carbs if you like. That's probably about 200g of carbs right there, which is a healthy amount. He may have not been eating enough vegetables or he may have been eating all that low carb junk food (seen the chemicals in that stuff?). Unlike him, if my doctor told me my cholesterol levels were rising, I'd back down some on that fat, and boost my fiber intake.

People do not educate themselves as much as they should and then get upset when something bad happens to them. Or if they do have the knowledge, they scoff and continue doing what they want, and still end up with problems. We were all victims of that game, but we caught on and more of us do our own research now, don't we?

I'm not perfect at this, but as I've become more educated, over time I've learned to increase my veggie intake and eventually I'll be used to eating enough vegetables to where I don't the need fiber supplement. That's the other flaw with these diets and a western diet, we gorge on refined foods, that lack fiber, which is a BIG key at controlling health problems. So an optimum diet, if followed properly, emphasis the importance of consuming plenty of vegetables and some fruit, not just for the fiber, but their phytonutrients (some prevent cancer) also. I actually read that we should eat 4 vegetables for ever 1 fruit we eat. Dang, I need to be consuming 12 - 16 "servings" of veggies some days. ;-)

Take care
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#16 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:41 PM

We have to remember that for example a carrot is a high glycemic food. But the amount of carbs in a carrot is so small that it doesn't really matter. So I'd concentrate more to the amount of carbs that we eat than their glycemic indexes.

When we eat a meal that has carbs, protein and fat, it's hard to say what kind of a glycemic load that meal has anyway.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#17 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:15 AM

Great (long) post...as always SJ! tongue.gif

Yeah I totally think that, when people do a "diet", they totally go ALL out to the very extremes, cause when they make gains (weight loss) they want to continue the momentum. This guy probably ate nothing but animals. user posted image

#18 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

Hehe. I find the Atkins Diet to be completely ridiculous, not to mention dangerously unhealthy. Almost every I meet who is on the Atkins Diet looks pretty whacked.
'Till you clear the inside you ain't gonna clear the outside.

#19 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(dudeman @ May 30 2004, 08:41 PM)
Hehe. I find the Atkins Diet to be completely ridiculous, not to mention dangerously unhealthy.

How is it dangerously unhealthy?

#20 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ May 29 2004, 10:29 AM)
Animal rights are crazy. Circle of Life -- If cheetahs can kill gazelles, why can't we kill both? smile.gif

"You" don't kill anything. You buy it neatly pre-packaged at the store. rolleyes.gif