Photo

Be careful of how much Zinc you take!

vitamin vitamins zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

I came across this site while researching zinc toxicity, and felt moved to share my "almost" finished story.

At the suggestion of my mom who is very much into natural remedies, I had given my 15 year old son zinc for his acne starting back in January. I bought 50 mg because that's what the vitamin store had, and he took one a day. My mom suggested that if it didn't work - take more! Well, we uped it to 2 X a day, (and maybe a couple times 3), for a period of time. Well in February he began getting very tired. He was unable to make it through PE without being wiped, and also came down with a couple of unexplained fevers. I took him in to get checked for mono, and through a blood test we found that his white blood cell count was low, along with his platelettes, and his lymphs were high. Well, this started a six week run of blood tests and being referred to a hematologist to find out what the heck was wrong with him. After about 6 different cbc panels, neither doctor could say what was wrong with him. However, the Hematologist did a great job of questioning me about everything, which got me thinking. so a couple days after our appointment, it dawned on me to research zinc and it's possible side effects. Low and behold, all of his symptoms matched!

He is now off of zinc and we are in the process of getting his zinc, copper and manganese levels checked. When your body has too much zinc, it basically purges out copper. Copper deficiencies cause bone marrow problems plus several others.

A young man on this site wrote how he takes 100 a day and he never gets sick. Knowing what I know now, that is very concerning. You may not notice a problem for a while, but as it builds up in your system it could be a very different story. Be careful. My son said he'd rather have acne than feel as tired and listless as he felt. He couldn't keep up with his buddies anymore and basically was benched in life.

Just a warning to all to please see a doctor before administering zinc to yourself.

Here's an article I found like my sons situations only worse. It's worth the read!
http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/zinc_supplement_overdose_toxic.shtml

#2 deleted10

deleted10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

Nice post, good luck to your son sad.gif

I take 30mg of it, so defo not over dosing tongue.gif By the way, did his acne clear? What happened with it and what else did ya do?

#3 jfarg1

jfarg1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

thanx i have been taking 100 mgs of zinc daily for the past 2 months and i have no energy lately... i could not figure it out because i ve been getting enough sleep

#4 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (AcniBoi @ Apr 8 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice post, good luck to your son sad.gif

I take 30mg of it, so defo not over dosing tongue.gif By the way, did his acne clear? What happened with it and what else did ya do?

I'm kinda new to the acne thing, as I did not suffer when I was young. But I will say that the extreme breakout seemed to lessen. He still has some eruptions, and his skin still has many red marks so it's kinda hard to tell. I need to be more educated. Overall he definitely looks better. I think once we get his mineral levels back to normal and he has his energy back, we'll see how he looks, then I'll check with a doctor before giving him anything else!!!! And he is adamant at this time about NOT taking ANYTHING because of this. I also added E to help his skin heal, and Cal Mag to help him to be more regular later in the game, but we've stopped that too. We definitely do not have the acne thing conquered, but that's taking a back seat at this time. We'll see how it goes and I'll post if we get there. Thanks

#5 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (jfarg1 @ Apr 8 2009, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanx i have been taking 100 mgs of zinc daily for the past 2 months and i have no energy lately... i could not figure it out because i ve been getting enough sleep

I'm glad you saw my post. Today I requested the Zinc, Copper and Manganeses tests through the Hematologist we saw a week ago. I'm hoping she'll know what to do. The Naturopath I go to didn't know how to order them. I will post as we go through this process, as right now I don't know if we should just let him ride this out, or if we'll need to supplement him with the copper. Take care

#6 Honnie

Honnie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

The first and second time I took zinc, I had a very bad reaction.

I took one 50 mg pill of Zinc citrate and noticed my stomach was really hurting me. I looked at the bottle and saw that it said to take te pill with food, so I ate a bit and I felt fine.

The next day, I took my zinc pill with my meal, but shortly after I started to experience intense nausea and stomach discomfort. I also developed a pounding migraine. I had to stay home from my last day of term at school, and stayed in pain for about 4-5 hours until I guess the zinc had gone through my system.

Needless to say, I stopped talking the zinc after that day, and I haven't heard of anyone having the same type of reaction as I did, so I'm sure this is not a normal occurance. Just a warning to everyone though to listen closely to what your body is saying.

My Regimen:

Morning:

Mineral oil with warm washcloth
Rosewater
Clinique Total Turnaround Serum
Marie Veronique Organics Moisturizing Face Screen SPF 30

Evening:

Mineral oil with warm washcloth
Rosewater
Clinique Total Turnaround Serum
Avene Skin Recovery Cream

2x week - Origins Brightening peel pads

Diet: Vegan, Gluten-Free, lots of greens, Turmeric Supplements (1200mg daily)

#7 xboxfreak

xboxfreak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Honnie @ Apr 8 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took one 50 mg pill of Zinc citrate and noticed my stomach was really hurting me. I looked at the bottle and saw that it said to take te pill with food, so I ate a bit and I felt fine.

The next day, I took my zinc pill with my meal, but shortly after I started to experience intense nausea and stomach discomfort. I also developed a pounding migraine. I had to stay home from my last day of term at school, and stayed in pain for about 4-5 hours until I guess the zinc had gone through my system.

Needless to say, I stopped talking the zinc after that day, and I haven't heard of anyone having the same type of reaction as I did, so I'm sure this is not a normal occurance. Just a warning to everyone though to listen closely to what your body is saying.

Well I would stay away from the Citrate form. Zinc Picolinate and Opti-Zinc (Zinc Methionine) are the best absorbed forms. I have no stomach problems taking large doses of Opti-Zinc (I take around 120mg a day but 60mg at a time).

I think supplementing with copper or just watching your coppers levels should alleviate much problem of an overdose of Zinc. Would you agree too2buzy?

What form of Zinc was he taking too2buzy?

Remember Zinc is one (if not the only) supplement that has been proven to be effective at reducing acne (as per Dan's video).

#8 Conceptgrl

Conceptgrl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

I have had that same experience with zinc at 50mg...I don't know what it means but I thought it had something to do with what my zinc vitamin was coated with, although my other vitamins are coated with the same stuff and they don't make me feel quite as nauseated. It didn't seem like I could ever eat enough to not have that feeling either. It could be that we're not use to having that much zinc in our system. I also didn't see any reduction in my acne either, but I haven't been taking it any more than a couple weeks.

#9 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (xboxfreak @ Apr 11 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I would stay away from the Citrate form. Zinc Picolinate and Opti-Zinc (Zinc Methionine) are the best absorbed forms. I have no stomach problems taking large doses of Opti-Zinc (I take around 120mg a day but 60mg at a time).

I think supplementing with copper or just watching your coppers levels should alleviate much problem of an overdose of Zinc. Would you agree too2buzy?

What form of Zinc was he taking too2buzy?

Remember Zinc is one (if not the only) supplement that has been proven to be effective at reducing acne (as per Dan's video).

My son was taking zinc gluconate.

As far as supplementing with copper, I think it may be necessary but I really don't know how much. Too much copper is another problem in itself. I think messing with these metals is dicey. So I suggest that you really need to talk to someone who is knowlegable in this area. It's kinda crazy that both of the doctors I saw (a naturopath & a hematologist for 40 years) didn't have a red flag go up when I mentioned taking zinc.

The fact that zinc can actually poisoning you is quite scary. As a mother, it actually makes me sick that I was doing this to my own son. Remember it happens over time, so I really think that if you are going to take it, especially in large quantities, you should be under a doctors supervision.

Keep in mind that these tests are pretty expensive. The hematologist ordered us to have, copper, zinc, manganese, calcium and magnesium. The total was $500. I don't even know what my insurance is going to pay yet.

My son is feeling better every day. He's been off of it for a week now. We had his blood drawn yesterday so I think I'll know in a week or so what his levels were at being totally off it for a week. I'll post at that time.

If you hadn't read the article I linked check it out:

I may check into the other forms of zinc when this is behind us if so suggested by a knowlegable doctor....... maybe.
Thanks

#10 xboxfreak

xboxfreak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I have never heard a doctor recommend me any sort of supplement besides fish oil. I certainly never heard my dermatologist recommend me any supplements. And yet I believe most supplements are a lot safer than being on antibiotics or taking Accutane. Doctors tend not to tell their patients about OTC supplements because they make no money on them. It is a shame our system works like this.

I agree being copper deficient or having too much copper is a bad thing.

I will definitely watch myself and stop taking Zinc if I notice anything weird going on.

#11 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

single supplements can just throw everything out of whack, our bodys arent used to coming in contact with vitamins in this form.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#12 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Zinc Methionine like xboxfreak says is bang on the money. It hasnt caused me a jott of a problem and ive taken it at 30-100mg for over a year.
My only wish to breed I explode into a million seeds...

I found my fiancee on the org.

A Star that I will always serve, protect and love. I found her in the darkness and together we made light from our shadows.

#13 Ariventa

Ariventa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

This story doesn't really sound right. Depending on the form of those pills (gluconate, picolinate, citrate or whatever) the actual elemental zinc content is much lower. Zinc Gluconate is only 14% of it weight in zinc, picolinate is 22%. I am guessing he was taking gluconate, since those usually come in 50mg size and are the most common form, it seems. Granted, I don't know which form he was taking or the amount of elemental zinc (the important part of this equation), but taking three pills a day of any of the commonly found zinc forms puts him no where near upper tolerable limits.

Perhaps the zinc just really affected him poorly, but he really was not taking very much at all. If anything, it sounds like he has/had an underlying condition that may be related to zinc at all. He also may have already had a copper deficiency and the zinc just pushed him over the edge. It just seems odd that such a small amount of zinc would produce such an effect. I'm suspicious.

EDIT: read the the post where it said zinc gluconate. The kid wasn't megadosing on zinc at all. He was likely only taking about 21 mgs (the RDA is 15 mgs) of elemental zinc, which is not much at all. It could have just been the form of zinc that irritated his stomach or something, but I don't really think it is the zinc, persay, that is causing the problem, maybe more so the form causing discomfort.

#14 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Ariventa @ Apr 12 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This story doesn't really sound right. Depending on the form of those pills (gluconate, picolinate, citrate or whatever) the actual elemental zinc content is much lower. Zinc Gluconate is only 14% of it weight in zinc, picolinate is 22%. I am guessing he was taking gluconate, since those usually come in 50mg size and are the most common form, it seems. Granted, I don't know which form he was taking or the amount of elemental zinc (the important part of this equation), but taking three pills a day of any of the commonly found zinc forms puts him no where near upper tolerable limits.

Perhaps the zinc just really affected him poorly, but he really was not taking very much at all. If anything, it sounds like he has/had an underlying condition that may be related to zinc at all. He also may have already had a copper deficiency and the zinc just pushed him over the edge. It just seems odd that such a small amount of zinc would produce such an effect. I'm suspicious.

EDIT: read the the post where it said zinc gluconate. The kid wasn't megadosing on zinc at all. He was likely only taking about 21 mgs (the RDA is 15 mgs) of elemental zinc, which is not much at all. It could have just been the form of zinc that irritated his stomach or something, but I don't really think it is the zinc, persay, that is causing the problem, maybe more so the form causing discomfort.

After doing my own research (which you can easily do yourself by searching the web), 100 -150mg for adults is considered in the toxic range, and he is not an adult, so he was definitely overdosing, (did you read my first post???) (He was taking gluconate - and I honestly have no experience with other forms) I know that all of his symptoms lined up for zinc toxicity, and since that was the only thing he had been doing differently since he began having problems, we're going to treat it as such and stop taking the zinc and see what happens. Of course if something else comes up as the problem, I would post that too.

Keep in mind that he had had 6 - 8 blood tests during this period and we checked everything under the sun that we could think of - of course checking mineral/metal levels is not a standard test so those weren't done at the time. Final verdict from veteran pediatric hematologist, he seems to be doing fine now - call me if the unexplained fevers come back, which by the way is one of the zinc toxicity symptoms. Hmm.

#15 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (AutonomousOne1980 @ Apr 12 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
single supplements can just throw everything out of whack, our bodys arent used to coming in contact with vitamins in this form.

I'm with you there!.

And as far as "doctor recommended" supplements, I should have noted that I do see a naturopath also. They are the ones who would recommend any kind of natural remedy.

#16 Ariventa

Ariventa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (too2buzy @ Apr 13 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After doing my own research (which you can easily do yourself by searching the web), 100 -150mg for adults is considered in the toxic range, and he is not an adult, so he was definitely overdosing, (did you read my first post???) (He was taking gluconate - and I honestly have no experience with other forms) I know that all of his symptoms lined up for zinc toxicity, and since that was the only thing he had been doing differently since he began having problems, we're going to treat it as such and stop taking the zinc and see what happens. Of course if something else comes up as the problem, I would post that too.

Keep in mind that he had had 6 - 8 blood tests during this period and we checked everything under the sun that we could think of - of course checking mineral/metal levels is not a standard test so those weren't done at the time. Final verdict from veteran pediatric hematologist, he seems to be doing fine now - call me if the unexplained fevers come back, which by the way is one of the zinc toxicity symptoms. Hmm.

Ok , well you didn't read my post or understand it.

Those 50 mg zinc gluconate pills DO NOT contain 50 mgs of Zinc. Each 50 mg zinc gluconate pill contains approximately 7 mgs of elemental zinc. ZInc gluconate is a mixture of elemental zinc and gluconate. The elemental zinc is the important part as this is what will cause imbalances such as a copper deficiency.

So, once again, if your son was taking 150 mgs of zinc gluconate, he was only taking about 21 mgs of elemental zinc. NOT AN OVERDOSE. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 100 mgs.

Honestly, this is the first thing your doctor should have explained to you and you should have found this out during your research. If you are going to supplement, at least know what you are taking or giving so you don't jump to conclusions.

#17 lolcaca

lolcaca

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

So does that mean that if I don't see great results with 50mg of gluconate zinc/day I could jump to 100mg without worrying about overdosing?

#18 too2buzy

too2buzy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Ariventa @ Apr 13 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (too2buzy @ Apr 13 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok , well you didn't read my post or understand it.

Those 50 mg zinc gluconate pills DO NOT contain 50 mgs of Zinc. Each 50 mg zinc gluconate pill contains approximately 7 mgs of elemental zinc. ZInc gluconate is a mixture of elemental zinc and gluconate. The elemental zinc is the important part as this is what will cause imbalances such as a copper deficiency.

So, once again, if your son was taking 150 mgs of zinc gluconate, he was only taking about 21 mgs of elemental zinc. NOT AN OVERDOSE. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 100 mgs.

Honestly, this is the first thing your doctor should have explained to you and you should have found this out during your research. If you are going to supplement, at least know what you are taking or giving so you don't jump to conclusions.

So I've done a little more research and what your saying is confusing. The RDA recommends 11 mgs of zinc for adult males. (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/zinc/ - see link for tables and safety issues). They do not specify "elemental" zinc... only "zinc". Same with toxicity levels, nowhere does it say "elemental" zinc. On the zinc gluconate bottle that we used, there is no reference to "elemental" zinc. It is a high potency zinc as zinc gluconate which states it is 333% of the daily allowance for adults: 50 mg represents 333% of 15 mg RDA -. If the RDA was based on "elemental" zinc (7 mg according to you) then the % of Daily Value wouldnt even be met. RDA being 11 mg, and the elemental zinc in the supplement being 7mg.

I also checked other Zinc Gluconate (none mentioning elemental zinc) products and a 15 mg one is 100% of the RDA.

Also, I'm going to assume that this is probably the same type of zinc that the other 17 year old boy took. He took the 300 mgs a day and became toxic - documented - no guessing here. By your calculations there is no way that could have happened because he was only taking 42 mg of "elemental" zinc.

So I'm thinking you're mistaken on something, because what your saying just doesn't make sense. If you have a link that solves the confusion, I'd be happy to read it.

#19 Ariventa

Ariventa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

And that's the problem. Supplement companies are basically lying, or being misleading. Truly, they are giving you 50 mgs of zinc gluconate, but gluconate doesn't do anything, it's the elemental zinc that is the important part, they just cut the zinc with other things (fillers). The chart below is from drugs.com. You can cross reference the numbers from other sources, they pop up as the same. They also state here that only 20-30% of dietary zinc is absorbed, so I highly doubt all the zinc from these pills is absorbed, lessening the chance even more that an overdose will occur.

They also mention zinc sulfate here, stating that it takes 220 mgs of zinc sulfate to get 50 mgs of elemental zinc. Again, think of all these pills as diluted, they all contain a bunch of fillers.

Strength(s) usually available
U.S.—

http://www.drugs.com...#citec001708103

1.4 mg of elemental zinc (10 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC)

2 mg of elemental zinc (15 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC)

4 mg of elemental zinc (30 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC){103}

7 mg of elemental zinc (50 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC)

8 mg of elemental zinc (60 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC){103}{104}

11 mg of elemental zinc (78 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC){98}

13 mg of elemental zinc (100 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC){103}

31 mg of elemental zinc (235 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC){104}

52 mg of elemental zinc (390 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC){103}

Canada—
{57}

10 mg of elemental zinc (70 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC)

50 mg of elemental zinc (350 mg zinc gluconate) (OTC)

#20 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Elemental means the actual amount that's available to the body. You'll often see elemental supplements marked USP. Doesn't mean he couldn't absorb more, just unlikely. He may have been getting an adequate amount in his diet as well.
It is like a reason that picks you up
And places you
Where you always wanted
To be.

*Moderator edit - Linking to websites other than Acne.org in your signature is not allowed*