Photo

The Official Haircare & Styling Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

#41 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (Jai @ Apr 14 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and Apple Cider Vinegar rinses FTW!

Ooo I've never tried that! What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar, besides for skin? I've heard some pros and cons. What's your regimen for an apple cider vinegar rinse, Jen?

#42 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

I did a few ACV rinses primarily to remove build up of styling products. I don't know why others use them, but that's why I did.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#43 mm..Brian..

mm..Brian..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (In Control of the Wire @ Apr 16 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jai @ Apr 14 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and Apple Cider Vinegar rinses FTW!

Ooo I've never tried that! What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar, besides for skin? I've heard some pros and cons. What's your regimen for an apple cider vinegar rinse, Jen?

I'm curious about this too! eusa_think.gif

#44 Jai

Jai

common sense is NOT common

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (In Control of the Wire @ Apr 16 2009, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i absolutely wub.gif ACV rinses....the main benefit is to remove product buildup from your hair. it's also good for closing down the hair cuticle, which helps impart shine, strength, and overall manageability to the hair....it's also good for treating dry scalp and/or dandruff..i prefer tea tree oil, but ACV does the job too....

i do an ACV rinse weekly, right before i do my weekly deep conditioning treatment....i mix 1 tbsp ACV w/1 cup of warm water before i get in the shower...once i'm in, co-wash so i can cleanse my hair then do the ACV rinse, making sure i coat all of myhair and then i do some mild manual friction to make sure the rinse is evenly distributed....then rinse and proceed to the DT.

i highly recommend it, especially if you use alot of styling products (which i do). it makes a world of difference....

Here is a good website to check out about the benefits of ACV......

The following is the 2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. This year's term was Political Correctness. The winner wrote:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
."

there are many warrants out for your arrest Jai, many, many, many

The worst thing that happens to Jen
Is the feeling that comes to her when
Her man, he is gone
She wants to get it on
But she's run out of batteries AGAIN.

EDM Cult Member

#45 Aghaigh Dearg

Aghaigh Dearg

also answers to AggaDagga and Ike Derog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (In Control of the Wire @ Apr 6 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Aghaigh Dearg @ Apr 6 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok oh wise one, I got a question for you. biggrin.gif

Unbelieavable fine flat hair, how do I get a bit of volume in it? What sorta product? Me is clueless.

The shampoo I love is Andrew Colligne for blonde, just makes my hair look fab. love it love it love it.

You could try this regimen: http://www.paulmitch.../ExtraBody.aspx

Or instead of having to try a new shampoo/conditioning process, you could just get a really good mousse. I recommend http://www.tresemme....ody-mousse.aspx

You'd put the mouse in your hair, and comb through after showering when hair is still damp. Wrap in a towel, loosely. Then, on a low-heat setting, flip hair forward and blow dry in sections.

Im fairly certain your a genius! Just did my hair and took your advice and its so full and bouncy and non flat!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

A hot Irish girl named Elaine<br />
Ran off with her boyfriend to Spain.<br />
They got naked in the sun<br />
but Elaine burned her bun<br />
and they scurried back home to the rain.

#46 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

Thanks, Jai! wub.gif

Aghaigh Dearg: Aw, I'm glad it helped!

#47 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

Embrace a bad hair day!

So, I got some product samples recently. They're from the Phyto line. It's really popular, and extremely expensive. I went to eBay and won a few samples for REALLY cheap.

Anyhow...one was the Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm. Another was a leave-in conditioner, and another was something for color-treated hair (doesn't really apply to me since I don't dye my hair, but thought my mom would like it).

I tried the first two, but didn't notice a difference. It says to use the conditioning balm once every two shampoos, so I'm assuming once every two days or so depending on how often you shampoo; it's a really clear gel -based solution. In my opinion, unless you have really fine hair or just have a mild case of frizziness, I wouldn't recommend spending a bunch of money on something like this.

A different, inexspesive brand for frizz control products is a better way to go, imo. Or even just a slight bit of hairspray. I know sometimes you have to buy to try, but don't waste your money on this stuff unless you plan to invest in something more durable.

#48 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

So, I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Conditioner.

It's a natural shampoo from a line that uses vegetable oil, natural ingredients, and is also sulfate-free. It's really great, I must say. It really lathers well, and it's not the type of lather that damages your hair like sulfates do. The shampoo helps to remove build-up quickly and consistently. The conditioner is really thick; my hair absorbs it and it really helps smooth and hydrate my hair.

I had used it a month and a half ago, but didn't really like it at first. However, I've been using it again and it's really good. I will use it more since it's summertime almost and my hair tends to get really dry and prone to weathering because of the hot weather.

I'd totally recommend it. You can find this type and others at Walmart, Walgreens, so on and so forth. It's about $8 or so, but worth it, I say. I don't have any complaints.

#49 D_lightful

D_lightful

~D~liciously so

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

I tried Ojon recently. It's supposed make your hair fuller and thicker. Meh. All I can say is that I'm glad I only got a sample. eusa_snooty.gif

#50 bronzeneo

bronzeneo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hey, thought I'd add what works for me:
Herbal essences shampoo and conditioners for coloured hair or the dry hair (they both smell that good, if it wasnt lethal, i'd probably drink them as a protein shake for my insides instead of the outide).
My hairdresser recommended, and I've only just tried tonight - keune thermal protector and keune leave-in hair repair because i've done some SERIOUS damage to my hair and have had to have 2 inches of hard-earned growth taken off (not happy).
I use kms silksheen as a spray on shine-y type thingo and toni and guy dry shampoo for the days when a gal just CBF.
Redken has a lot of amazing products. For those girls who colour their hair A LOT and are suffering from it, their anti-snap stuff is like greasey food after a nasty bender - its THAT good.

Also, as a hint for people with acne, especially on their back, a hairdresser once asked me if when im in the shower how much conditioner did i use, how long did I leave it on and when my hair was long, did it rest on my back whilst i did other shower type things. If you use too much conditioner or leave it in you hair too long, or have long hair, and it drips down your back, it can be a huge cause of bacne - which if you think about sometimes after you rinse your conditioner out and feel the back of your neck or shoulders - does it feel slimey? Would you rest it on your face for as long as you let it rest on your back?
It made sense to me, so I stopped doing it and lo-and-behold, much less bacne.
End of rant smile.gif

Current Regimen (as @ 22 August 2009)

Morning:
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser
DKR BP (1/2 pump)
Nivea Oil Free Moisturising Fluid

Night:
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser
DKR BP (1/2 pump)
DKR Moisturiser - rarely use jojoba
AHA+ twice to three times a week (when I remember to use it)

Supplements : None

Progress:
Check out my Log - "Who is the Master, and Who is the Slave" - for updates
After 6 months - NO blackheads, face is smoother and softer, old scars are evening out (forehead wrinkles DISAPPEARING!!! BONUS!!!), NO breakouts and only the scarce bump that never surfaces - My skin is calm and I'm loving it !!

#51 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

Those are some great tips, bronzeneo! Thanks for sharing!

#52 iCogito

iCogito

nobody's little weasel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:36 AM

I got Mane&Tane shampoo and conditioner.So far it's good.

She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something...

#53 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

I still use the same shampoo and conditioner but I have two products I use now before I dry my hair. I use phyto organics maxifying mousse and Paul Mitchell Extra Body Daily Boost
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#54 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

Two new products:

I started using Biolage Smooth Therapie Shampoo and Conditioner because of the warmer, humid weather. It has grape seed oil and other natural, smoothing extracts. I got a deal at a salon, so I only paid, like $20 for both. They really do what they're meant to do. It helped my hair with the warm weather today. It wasn't frizzy and it was manageable. I recommend this product because it doesn't leave build-up and is quick to work.

I also started using Dove Heat Defense Therapy. This is a new product, which also has shampoo, conditioner, along with the mist spray. It helps product your hair against heat styling. But I also noticed that it helps my hair in the sun outside. That's not to say that you don't need something else to product your hair, like leave-in conditioner or a sun hat. But this is really light-weight, doesn't leave build-up. It tames your hair while leaving it smooth, soft, and manageable. It cost about $4 at Wal-Mart. It's great!

#55 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

I tried an ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) rinse today for the first time. It worked really well, except I got some vinegar in my left eye and it burned like a mofo! But, it rinsed easily. And, in fact, my eyes felt more moisturized today. Sometimes they are really dry and burn, but it must have helped.

OK, so...I used the rinse after I shampooed and had rinsed my hair. I made sure it was distributed evenly. I didn't condition since I did the rinse. I let my hair air-dry about 85% today. I got to work and it did smell like vinegar a little bit. However, it wasn't a horrid scent.

My hair is still shiny and soft despite the hot weather today. I recommend a weekly rinse. My scalp didn't itch after using it. Plus, it really reduced irritation on my scalp. So, it really does reset the pH balance of your scalp, and does remove build-up. I recommend this. ACV is so cheap.

#56 Aghaigh Dearg

Aghaigh Dearg

also answers to AggaDagga and Ike Derog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Ok this is going to sound mad, but I work in a school and theres been a head lice outbreak. Lovely I know. I shudder at the thought of it. So as soon as I heard I was out to the chemist to find, something, anything, to keep my nice hair nit free. Im shuddering as I write this actually. Ugh.

Anyways I got this nice repellent spray, and its main ingredient was tea tree oil. So I went mad with it, sprayed a load into my hair and let it dry naturally. This evening I went for a swim, washed my hair and my hair!!wow!! its sooo silky and smooth and shiny, Ive never seen it such good shape other than when Im just home from the hairdresser.

So Im guessing its the tea tree oil?? Im telling ya im gonna keep using my nice repellent spray thats for sure!! No nits and lovely hair, win win situation!!!

A hot Irish girl named Elaine<br />
Ran off with her boyfriend to Spain.<br />
They got naked in the sun<br />
but Elaine burned her bun<br />
and they scurried back home to the rain.

#57 Charlotte_89

Charlotte_89

Charlotte

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

You can put tea tree oil in your hair?! Whaat, but when I put it on my skin, it dries it out.. I don't understand
. . .Life is just a mirror, and what you see out there, you must first see inside of you. . .

#58 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (x. charlotte .x @ May 25 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can put tea tree oil in your hair?! Whaat, but when I put it on my skin, it dries it out.. I don't understand

You can add tea tree oil, just like jojoba oil, to your shampoo and conditioner. If you add it to your skin without mixing it, it might cause some dryness. Add a few drops to your face wash, and your skin will reap the benefits!

#59 D_lightful

D_lightful

~D~liciously so

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Aghaigh Dearg @ May 25 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok this is going to sound mad, but I work in a school and theres been a head lice outbreak. Lovely I know. I shudder at the thought of it. So as soon as I heard I was out to the chemist to find, something, anything, to keep my nice hair nit free. Im shuddering as I write this actually. Ugh.

Anyways I got this nice repellent spray, and its main ingredient was tea tree oil. So I went mad with it, sprayed a load into my hair and let it dry naturally. This evening I went for a swim, washed my hair and my hair!!wow!! its sooo silky and smooth and shiny, Ive never seen it such good shape other than when Im just home from the hairdresser.

So Im guessing its the tea tree oil?? Im telling ya im gonna keep using my nice repellent spray thats for sure!! No nits and lovely hair, win win situation!!!

I've always heard that the Suave brand coconut scented shampoo keeps lice away (I know some of your are probably cringing right now. Suave?! ) Maybe coconut oil works similarly to the way tea tree oil does?

#60 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (D_lightful @ May 26 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always heard that the Suave brand coconut scented shampoo keeps lice away (I know some of your are probably cringing right now. Suave?! ) Maybe coconut oil works similarly to the way tea tree oil does?

You know, you are probably right. lol.gif I actually like Suave. I used to use it, and it's pretty good.