Photo

The Official Haircare & Styling Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
170 replies to this topic

#21 Katie

Katie

respek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Siava @ Apr 7 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Katie, I'm with you. I quit fighting my curls. Now I embrace 'em...most of the time. wink.gif

I don't use much on my hair because it's usually up and out of the way. I use Dairy Whip shampoo (vanilla at the moment), Suave conditioner (right now I'm digging the cherry scent), and if I want to run around with curls I'll use Dove Define & Shine gel. My hair doesn't do well with silicone products and none of these contain any.

i used to pay out the ass for salon quality shampoo and conditioner. but i go through conditioner so fast that i stick to dove or neutrogena or herbal essences. now the only thing i shell out the dough for is color, a few great cuts a year, and product.
Oh oh now baby, tell me how have you been
We all have missed you, and the way you grin
The day is necessary, every now and then
For souls to move on, givin' life back again, and again
Fly on fly on, fly on my friend
Go on, live again, love again

#22 Katie

Katie

respek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Colourful @ Apr 7 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ lol what kind of colour is "egyptian plum" exacty? :S *oops meant to be for katie

well, i wanted that rich red/purple color. but it was straight up PURPLE. i tried to dye my hair that red/purple color many many times. until i finally discovered it's better for my skin tone to stick with honey/caramel browns and blondes.

siava, what kind of curls do you have??

#23 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Colourful @ Apr 7 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ lol what kind of colour is "egyptian plum" exacty? :S *oops meant to be for katie

I've just coloured my hair a rich dark kind of purplish red...i love it smile.gif but all the bleaching beforehand kinda killed it. Currently I'm using tresemme shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair and their thermal repair (i think) treatment. Does anyone else who's colpoured their hair know a good treatment or whatever that helps to keep the colour in for longer? Mine always fades so fast sad.gif

My hair is dyed a reddish color too. That is supposed to be the hardest color to keep. And I'm just finishing up my giant bottles of tressemme for red/brunette or whatever color and did not think it did a good job at protecting hair color.

What worked better is L'oreal's color protecting shampoo. And a year or so ago, I saw an episode of Shopping Bags in which they washed pieces of red-dyed hair over and over testing different shampoos. They had a few expensive ones and a few cheap ones. All I remember is the Pantene was not good, John Freida was terrible, somehow making patches of faded color. And L'oreal was one of the best. I posted about it here so if you really want to know all the brands, do a search.

I'm going to try Infusium next.

My method: apparently hot water opens up the shaft so your shampoo can wash out the color. So since reading that, what I have been doing is putting a bit of shampoo into a cup, diluting a lot with water and a little ACV, then applying to dry hair. I then wash and rinse quickly. Then don't put conditioner near the roots so they don't get rinsed again. And I want to switch to a leave in conditioner for that reason.

And I've read that it's the alkalinity of the shampoo that strips color so adding a bit of ACV or something to acidify it might help.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#24 mm..Brian..

mm..Brian..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

^ wow I didn't know putting ACV would help but I guess it makes sense since the alkalinity is what strips hair off colour.

What's your hair type like? Because mine is very greasy and I doubt your method of washing hair would work as well on mine?

Thanks for the info, my sister's always used the L'Oreal colour protecting shampoos and conditioners so I might try those next.

Red hair is so tricky to keep up. sad.gif

#25 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Colourful @ Apr 9 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ wow I didn't know putting ACV would help but I guess it makes sense since the alkalinity is what strips hair off colour.

What's your hair type like? Because mine is very greasy and I doubt your method of washing hair would work as well on mine?

It's fine and oily. Especially since I put off washing as long as possible to protect the color.

And I think the shampoo is called L'oreal Color Vive.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#26 Jai

Jai

common sense is NOT common

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

chantay wub.gif

let's see.....well i recently began a new regimen to enhance my curlies and i love it...the regimen calls for NO SILICONES and NO SULFATES (which tend to be in most shampoos) for cleansing...you cleanse but with a conditioner that has no silicones. if you wanna know more, go to the Naturally Curly website and check out the CG routine aka no-poo... i absolutely wub.gif it...my hair is softer, silkier, and incredibly moisturized....not to mention how fabo my hair is thanks to the regimen.....

as for products...here's my list! - all are cone & sulfate free.....

conditioners for co-washing (cleansing)- Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut - cone free, cheap, and smells divine!
rinse out conditioners - Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm (exact same thing as Biolage but for like $6)
deep conditioners - Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea and Mango Butter - BEST DT for less than $3, another one is Sally's GVP K-Pak (same thing as Joico K-Pak but for like $8 or $10 - the actual K-Pak is 3x that much)
leave-in conditioner - Kinky-Curly Knot Today - this is one the pricier side but so worth it...totally organic and smells heavenly....i'd eat it if i could tongue.gif
styling products - Herbal Essences Set Me Up Mousse - by far the BEST cone-free mousse i've tried...wish the bottle was bigger so it'll last longer but for $4 i wont complain...
Kinky Curly Curling Custard (aka KCCC) - another pricey one but HOT DAMN...i love this stuff.....a jar is $35 but sooo worth if it u wish to embrace ur curls...again, organic, smells deeeelish, but more than anything, this thing gives my hair SHINE SHINE and more SHINE.....and even tho its a bit pricey, a little bit goes a long way....i've had my jar for almost six months and have only used a 1/4 of it.....totally worth the money....

styling tools......again, curl friendly....

wide tooth comb - total necessity for curlies...helps to keep the hair intact and lessens the chance of breakage from pulling....

microfiber towels and cotton t-shirts - i used both the towels and tees for removing excess water and i use the tee for plopping. it's a styling method used to further enhance the curlies...

duckbill clips - place them on the crown while drying - gives major lift in the crown area...sumthin most curlies struggle with...

finger diffuser - OH MY GOD!!!! best invention EVER... wub.gif up until recently, i never bothered and would let my hair air dry, but i decided to give the diffuser a try and holy curls....the curls never looked better....my hair in my avatar pic is a result of the regimen and the diffuser.

i don't use hairspray anymore and i stopped coloring my hair almost 2 years ago....

great idea Antonia..... <3

The following is the 2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. This year's term was Political Correctness. The winner wrote:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
."

there are many warrants out for your arrest Jai, many, many, many

The worst thing that happens to Jen
Is the feeling that comes to her when
Her man, he is gone
She wants to get it on
But she's run out of batteries AGAIN.

EDM Cult Member

#27 Katie

Katie

respek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

i don't know how well that sally k-pak works, but the joico k-pak is a TOTAL waste of money.

#28 Jai

Jai

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Katie @ Apr 9 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't know how well that sally k-pak works, but the joico k-pak is a TOTAL waste of money.

i like it but i prefer the Lustrasilk......i even use it to scrunch out the crunch..wub.gif

The following is the 2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. This year's term was Political Correctness. The winner wrote:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
."

Her man, he is gone
She wants to get it on

EDM Cult Member

#29 Cubos

Cubos

Hello :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

I'm cutting all my hair off tomorrow, it's gonna be weirrrd.
Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~ Roald Dahl

#30 Katie

Katie

respek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Cubos @ Apr 9 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm cutting all my hair off tomorrow, it's gonna be weirrrd.

how are you getting it cut. and pics!

#31 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

JAI! wub.gif I'm so glad you're contributing. Everyone is contributing some great tips! eusa_dance.gif

#32 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Tea Tree FTW!

#33 Rob2686

Rob2686

Dan Kern Saves Lives. DKSL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (In Control of the Wire @ Apr 12 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tea Tree FTW!

How do you apply tea tree oil? Thanks for making this thread, I've used a few tips and my hair looks better already. smile.gif

Anyone know of any supplements?

And Rob, what the f#ck does someone's opinion of the Smashing Pumpkins have to do with consumerism, illusions of paradise, and Subway? At least try and make sense next time you're trying to trash someone for their hate of a band you love.

#34 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

I like olive oil weekly. I rinse it off with warm water but enough stays in the hair that it feels so very soft and conditioned. I also don't wash my hair but every two or three days. A final rinse with cold water seems to make it shinier. Could be my imagination. smile.gif

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#35 WalkTheWire

WalkTheWire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (♥Rob2686♥ @ Apr 13 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (In Control of the Wire @ Apr 12 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tea Tree FTW!

How do you apply tea tree oil? Thanks for making this thread, I've used a few tips and my hair looks better already. smile.gif

Anyone know of any supplements?

You can get it at a health food store as an essential oil. You would just dilute in water and add to your favorite shampoo or conditioner. It has great benefits. Especially if you need a cooling effect to help irritated skin.

I use the Tea Tree shampoo that I listed on page 1, and it really calms my scalp. My niece uses Tea Tree Oil for dry, irritated skin, and it really helps.

QUOTE (Wynne @ Apr 13 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like olive oil weekly. I rinse it off with warm water but enough stays in the hair that it feels so very soft and conditioned. I also don't wash my hair but every two or three days. A final rinse with cold water seems to make it shinier. Could be my imagination. smile.gif

Your hair is gorgeous, Wynne! You're right about washing with cold water. It helps with shine. Plus, washing periodically and using olive oil help to retain your color.

I love rinsing with cold water because it calms any scalp irritation.

#36 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

Check: continue olive oil, continue cold water rinses. biggrin.gif

Great thread, Mr. Wire.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=

#37 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:53 AM

Wynne, I love your hair! I agree, its gorgeous! Is your hair naturally wavy and omg, youre a natural redhead, I didnt know that
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#38 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (acne_battle @ Apr 14 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wynne, I love your hair! I agree, its gorgeous! Is your hair naturally wavy and omg, youre a natural redhead, I didnt know that

Thanks! I grew it myself! lol.gif That is colored hair. wink.gif My hair is naturally blonde.

It's naturally wavy.

I've seen pics of your hair and it looks so very shiny and healthy.

#39 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Apr 14 2009, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (acne_battle @ Apr 14 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I grew it myself! lol.gif That is colored hair. wink.gif My hair is naturally blonde.

It's naturally wavy.

I've seen pics of your hair and it looks so very shiny and healthy.

Did you really? You fooled me lol Your hair is naturally blonde. Wow, it looks naturally red. You or your hair stylist did an excellent job. I hate when the roots show. Yours dont show whatsoever.

Thank you! My hair is also highlighted. My natural hair color is light brown. Although, I had blonde hair up until the age of nine and it grew darker sad.gif
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#40 Jai

Jai

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

oh and Apple Cider Vinegar rinses FTW!

."

Her man, he is gone
She wants to get it on

EDM Cult Member