5 replies to this topic

#1 fort

fort

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

does it not contain gluten? or something else.

#2 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:41 AM

White bread is litteraly like paste. It will also create a lot more mucus.
If you read the ingredients on most breads, it will usually say "wheat flour", "enriched flour", "brominated" or "bleached wheat flour". "Wheat flour" is the term used for any flour that'S been milled, enriched, bleached or brominated. It's not the same whole-wheat.

Do you have any idea what "brominated" means? Here's the definition:
Bromine: (bro'men) n.a a chemical element, usually in the form of a reddish-brown, corrosive liquid valatilizing to form a vapor that has an unpleasant odor and is very irritating to mucous membranes: used in making dyes, in photography, and, in the form of certain compounds, an antiknock motor fuel. Atomic weight 79.909; atomic number 35."

Yummy isn't it? We can now thank the food giants for making our bread snowy white. How can it be legal to use this stuff to make foods? Go figure...
But unless you want to eat this stuff, I suggest you look exclusively for bread that says "100% whole-wheat flour" or other grain. Some "wheat" bread is simply white bread with added food coloring (caramel coloring) in it to give it the apparence of whole grain bread. You have to look closely at the list of ingredients.

When you see the word "enriched", it means that it was highly processed, stripped of its natural fiber and vitamins and minerals. They then decided to ass synthetic vitamins to "enrich" what was robbed from the original grans. It's far from over though. Then they add other ingredients to keep it soft or "fresh". These can be hydrogenated oils, mono and di-glycerides, dough conditioners, etc.

#3 dr0832

dr0832

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:22 PM

Well all that info is good an all but the real reason brown (whole wheat) bread or pasta is so much healthier is because white flower has a high value on the GI scale. The GL scale is used for diabetics to determine the amount of insulin that your body secretes in order to lower blood sugar after you ingest carbohydrates.

#4 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

Brown and wholemeal breads still have quite a high GI value though, I think, although they're definitely perferable to white. On the whole, better carbohydrates GI-wise are oats, barley and rye. But obviously these are a little less convenient to eat than a piece of toast.
A really annoying thing for me at the moment is when I get down to breakfast at uni and there is no brown bread left. So I have to either have sugar laden cereals or white bread. Hmm tough choice. :angry:

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:33 PM

http://www.news.corn....wheat.ssl.html =)

#6 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:29 PM

White bread is brown bread that has been bleached and has had all it's whole grains taken out. It has less fiber, nutrients, and converts to surar faster. I don't like the taste either, maybe it's because I was raised on only whole wheats(except for hamburger, hotdog buns, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users