329 replies to this topic

#61 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

I think its time to bump this again.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#62 hesitation

hesitation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

I asked a mod to pin this. I don't get why they're not doing it!

Edited by hesitation, 11 March 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#63 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (hesitation @ Mar 11 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked a mod to pin this. I don't get why they're not doing it!

Yeah, well. People ignore the pinned threads anyway. And if it's pinned, it can't get bumped to the top of the threads people do see.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#64 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

alternativista,

Excuse my ignorance if you've already answered this, but have you read The Dietary Cure for Acne? Would you recommend buying it? My local library doesnt carry it and it seems interesting. I'm interested in hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation and digestion issues.

Thanks.
"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."
- Abraham Lincoln

#65 gMARIAs

gMARIAs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Art, Design, Music, Video Games, Yoga, Nature, Research, Reading, Learning

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

Good topic. I'll bookmark it and try to keep it bumped up so people will stop posting the same topics over and over. This way, they'll have an adequate resource for multiple questions.
-If we could only live on good food like that...we wouldn't have the country full of rotten teeth and rotten guts.____Buck Mulligan, Ulysses

No sacrifice, No Victory - Sacrifice our resplendence, we fight for freedom___Hammerfall

Diet: Unprocessed meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, water and coffee. No supplements.
Fitness: Exercise whenever the hell i want

Stop treating your personal experiences as universal facts. Please and thanks.

If you can't clear your skin through diet and overall health, you aren't doing it right.

Society's intellectual degeneration greatly disappoints me.
An atheist is a man with no invisible means of support.

#66 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Wally @ Mar 23 2010, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alternativista,

Excuse my ignorance if you've already answered this, but have you read The Dietary Cure for Acne? Would you recommend buying it? My local library doesnt carry it and it seems interesting. I'm interested in hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation and digestion issues.

Thanks.

The Cordain Book? I link to a PDF in the ZAG enzyme thread under hyperkeratinization. I don't know if it's the whole book, though. Check it out. It's pretty much the paleo diet.

Edited by alternativista, 23 March 2010 - 02:24 PM.

#67 Wally

Wally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

The Cordain Book? I link to a PDF in the ZAG enzyme thread under hyperkeratinization. I don't know if it's the whole book, though. Check it out. It's pretty much the paleo diet.

I couldn't access the link...

Edited by Wally, 24 March 2010 - 09:56 AM.

"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."
- Abraham Lincoln

#68 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Wally @ Mar 24 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't access the link...

That's too bad. It worked not that long ago. I guess they figured out their mistake. But if you google The dietary cure for Acne pdf, you'll find places you can download it.

#69 Lance_Ashford

Lance_Ashford

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

There are so many factors that may be the reason for your problem. The best thing that you can do is; have your daily exercise, have a , take vitamins or any that can help your body , avoid vices and live right to enjoy life.

#70 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Lance_Ashford @ Apr 7 2010, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are so many factors that may be the reason for your problem. The best thing that you can do is; have your daily exercise, have a , take vitamins or any that can help your body , avoid vices and live right to enjoy life.

But notice how interrelated everything is. The same diet and nutrients appear over and over throughout the lists. And the Good Things for any given issue tend to involve improving other issues. That's why there are links from one list to another. This really should be a wiki.

Edited by alternativista, 29 April 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#71 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

Thread on making your own Nicomide, a prescription vitamin formula for acne and rosacea.

http://www.acne.org/...de-t252903.html

Nicomide is also available as a topical treatment.

#72 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Time to bump this again. It's been nearly a month.

Oh, 25,514 reads to date. It's always interesting to see how much it creeps up between posts when it's no where near the first page of the forum.

Edited by alternativista, 25 May 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#73 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Bumping again as it's been almost a month.

#74 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

i really want to get my sleep schedule on track ebcause i think it's affecting my hormones, but my light/ dark is all off because i sleep with the lights on becasue i'm afraid of the dark redface.gif embarassing, i know

what do i do to stop being afraid of the dark or help otherwise get my sleep on track
"You're such a beautiful freak, I wish there were more just like you. You're not like all of the others, that is why I love you. Beautiful Freak, Beautiful Freak- that is why I love you."

building a personal bubble of support via my log: Jokerj's Hopeful Log

#75 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (jokerj @ Jun 29 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i really want to get my sleep schedule on track ebcause i think it's affecting my hormones, but my light/ dark is all off because i sleep with the lights on becasue i'm afraid of the dark redface.gif embarassing, i know

what do i do to stop being afraid of the dark or help otherwise get my sleep on track

Not my area, but you need to do it. Maybe try not sleeping alone, i.e. a friend or a pet? Set the sleep timer on the TV to 30 minutes and turn it on a sitcom. Most TVs have a timer even though few people seem to realize it. I do this to keep me from thinking about something that might aggravate me, and I'm usually asleep after the first commercial.

See this is why I think small children should always share a bedroom. When I was small, all 4 of us shared a room until I was 5, then we moved and got a room for the 2 girls and 2 boys. Neither my little brother or I were ever afraid of the dark. I can't speak for the oldest 2.

Edited by alternativista, 12 July 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#76 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Bump

#77 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

why dont they sticky this already!
I dont agree with what I posted in the nutrition section anymore. I just think its not worth it. People worrying about food and acne all day in order to improve their life somehow while they are actually just digging a bigger hole for themselfs. The only reason to eat right should be to feel a bit better. Because the chances you will be able to reduce your acne in such an amount that its worth the effort instead of just trying a new topical is astronomicly low.

Basically get a low effort topical like differin or something more harsh if that doesnt work and just start living the life you want to live!
Retired!

#78 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

We've reached over 30,000 reads.

Also, I added some info and useful links on diet and nutrients for thyroid function.

#79 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

Bumping again.

#80 karna

karna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

Alternativista, what a great resource! Thanks for sharing.
You should write an anti-acne/health book!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users