paleo depression oily skin

329 replies to this topic

#321 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

GetmetheResults, I use jojoba and tea tree oil mixed, about 2/3 jojoba to 1/3 tea tree. I just feel like I need the antibacterial/antifungal effectiveness of the tea tree oil in there. I think it's partially a paranoia though.

I've been using the oil cleansing method (OCM) since about January with jojoba and tea tree. I have not had a break out from these oils, just my normal hormonal breakouts.

I switched to Cetaphil for a few days last week and did not like the way it felt at all, so I went back to oil cleansing. I am using Dan's BP during the day and the AHA at night, so I don't know what it would be like with just OCM and nothing else.

I am sorry I don't actually have a link like I just noticed you asked for. The issue with picking an oil is that I think it really has to be a process of trial and error. I knew one person who swore that coconut oil cleared him up. It made me break out (it was organic, cold pressed).

Jojoba is actually listed on many sites as mildly comedogenic, yet it does not break me out. I haven't had time to invest in trying to figure all of that out though I've read plenty of others' theories. Like a lot of things, I think it comes down to: wow, human bodies are complicated!

You can use any number of websites to check comedogenicity. Just Google "comedogenic check"

I don't know if that helps. Acne is so sucky. I am sorry we're all even here dealing with it in the first place! Hang in there!

Hey !

Thanks for the info! I've tried Jojoba oil when my skin got really dry last winter from overwashing my face to make things "better"... It was an emergency situation, so I didn't use it for too long and I'm glad it didn't break me out (at first.....2 months later I got the worst acne in my life and now I am trying to fix it). I've promised my dermatologist to not put anything else but my prescription meds on my face, so I'll try the OCM once I'm done with Accutane. My skin would definitely need the extra moisture by then.

#322 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm about to buy Safflower Oil from Natural Life, do you think it's a good brand? Supposedly it's organic and cold-pressed and I'm happy Walmart's online store has it. Also, what do you think about Jojoba and Castor oil? Should I get a bottle of them too and try an allergy test with all the 3 oils? What would you do with the oils that broke you out? I was thinking of using them on my hair or body, since I only cook with olive oil.

Does anyone have a good link on the oil cleansing method? Im thinking of not using any products on my face for the next couple of weeks as an experiment in addition to my diet and supplements. I might also quit my antibiotics and birth control to see what would happen.
My concern is that the oil cleansing method would make the skin oily, clog my pores and not kill the bacteria on the surface.
Thanks

Choose the right oil. I recommend safflower oil. It is high in the linoleic acid that is a major component of sebum that works and that acne and other problem prone skin is deficient in. Mix in a little castor oil or not. Too much can be drying or irritating.

#323 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'm about to buy Safflower Oil from Natural Life, do you think it's a good brand? Supposedly it's organic and cold-pressed and I'm happy Walmart's online store has it. Also, what do you think about Jojoba and Castor oil? Should I get a bottle of them too and try an allergy test with all the 3 oils? What would you do with the oils that broke you out? I was thinking of using them on my hair or body, since I only cook with olive oil.

Does anyone have a good link on the oil cleansing method? Im thinking of not using any products on my face for the next couple of weeks as an experiment in addition to my diet and supplements. I might also quit my antibiotics and birth control to see what would happen.
My concern is that the oil cleansing method would make the skin oily, clog my pores and not kill the bacteria on the surface.
Thanks

Choose the right oil. I recommend safflower oil. It is high in the linoleic acid that is a major component of sebum that works and that acne and other problem prone skin is deficient in. Mix in a little castor oil or not. Too much can be drying or irritating.

If they don't put it in a dark bottle, it isn't a good brand. Do you have a whole foods near you?

#324 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

I have Wegmans, which is like Whole Foods. I will try to get it there!

#325 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

I buy Napa Valley Naturals.

#326 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

If safflower oil doesn't work for me, what other oils should I buy from napa? I know it's a trial and error process... I already bought more than a dozen wash clothes :D

#327 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

If safflower oil doesn't work for me, what other oils should I buy from napa? I know it's a trial and error process... I already bought more than a dozen wash clothes :D

Grapeseed, but that tends to be a bit more comodogenic. Or hemp which is lower in linoleic acid, but also gas omega 3 EFAs that could be beneficial.

#328 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Would it be benefitial to put a drop of peppermint essential oil in the boiling water for the washcloth and a drop of green tea extract to rub together with the safflower oil in the beginning?

#329 ZhenZhu

ZhenZhu

licensed esthetician 2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I cleared my worst breakout in a 20 yr acne battle with Rx Chinese herbs.

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

Peppermint is very irritating.   I know St. Ives has a peppermint scrub that absolutely did bad things to my skin.  

Would it be benefitial to put a drop of peppermint essential oil in the boiling water for the washcloth and a drop of green tea extract to rub together with the safflower oil in the beginning?

#330 Andrew Jenkins

Andrew Jenkins

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Holistic Healing, I don't believe in temporary relief of symptoms, I help people understand the role nutrition and exercise has to play in curing their conditions.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Fantastic post! You clearly know what you're talking about. I agree with the majority of what you've written here and glad to see you're guiding people on the right path.

For me, it wasn't until I adopted a good diet and avoided processed foods that I managed to cure my acne condition, not surpress; people can learn alot from this post. Keep up the great work :)

Regards

Andy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users