paleo depression oily skin

294 replies to this topic

#281 nikkimixam

nikkimixam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi alternativista! I tried to pm you, but it wouldn't let me..I've been searching through the forums like a maniac and you seem to be very knowledgeable in helping people with their acne. I was just wondering if you could give me some advice. I currently eat paleo, autoimmune protocol as well so no nightshades, nuts, seeds, eggs, alcohol, NSAIDS, and also no citrus fruits. I also stopped eating sweet potatoes as well as any other starchy vegetable. I'm trying to follow an anti-candida/low glycemic diet as well. On top of all that, I just started juicing, only vegetables. I also started taking cod liver oil, milk thistle extract, probiotics and drinking some acv with each meal. I bought some bubbies sauerkraut as well to eat with my meals. For a face wash, I use a brand called Simple, which contains no soap, alcohol, perfumes or dyes. I tone, at night only, with diluted acv, then moisturize with jojoba oil at night. In the daytime, I use a different moisturizer with spf. I'm still breaking out. My digrestion is terrible. I just started taking triphala and 2 tbsp of physillium husk a day to get my bowels going since I am constipated. Been doing this maybe 5 days now. Although I am going more often, my bowels have the consistency of gum and I don't feel like I completely go each time. I guess what I mean to ask is, is there anything else I should incorporate or leave out of my diet? Any supplements I should add or can do without? Also, I want to get back into weightlifting, will this cause me to breakout more? What should I eat postworkout, since I read that lower carbs are better for acne? How can I fix my digestion? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, Im using my phone. If it helps, I've had acne for a couple of years now. I'm depressed as well.. Thank you so much! !!:) I'm very happy you found what works for you! I can't imagine dealing with this for as long as you have! !

Edited by nikkimixam, 25 August 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#282 nikkimixam

nikkimixam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Bump. Nobody can't help? Is there any way I could try to improve my acne holistically without trying all the possible methods that could work?

A good diet, natural as possible circadian cycle and physical activity, and stress reduction improves all causes for acne and anything else you might have r be developing.

Btw, orange juice is not healthy. Even if its fresh squeezed, its still high GI. eat the whole orange, but you should try avoiding citrus for a while to test for intolerance, which is fairly common. Oranges give me severe cystic acne.

And add greens to your diet. If you don't like them or know what to do with them, make smoothies.

Also, please don't screw with your hormones as advised in the prior post. Help your body function and manage them itself.
Isn't green peas "green"? Isn't my diet quite healthy already?

I'll begin to drink blackcurrant juice instead of orange juice.

You don't recommend saw palmetto or anything like that. Why?

They green. But they aren't greens.

You can try saw palmetto as long as you avoid mega doses, but be prepared to possibly making your skin worse.
I thought I quoted you. Please read what I wrote above↑:-) One more thing, were you experiencing any other symptoms along with your acne? I know you said you had rosacea as well. What about hair loss, dark circles or digestion issues?

Also, I love your blogs! Is there a way I can get an update whenever you post a new blog? :)

Edited by nikkimixam, 25 August 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#283 brandylad

brandylad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

BUMP for any new members, excellent thread possibly containing answers for peoples' questions rolleyes.gif

#284 live

live

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys, I have started a separate thread about a tool (app) that helps the user find out which ones of the many factors lead to acne.

If you, like me, are a believer in holism and acne check it out here, I would appreciate your feedback: http://www.acne.org/...h-whos-with-me/

#285 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Tyramines. That's what I've been trying to remember. Causes an inflammatory response, often headache & elevated blood pressure. Develop over time in foods so are worse in aged foods. People very sensitive should eat only the freshest foods. Avoid aged cheeses, cured meats, wine, fermented foods, very ripe fruits & veg etc. http://ajcn.nutritio.../85/5/1185.full

In searching for potential sources of intolerance, testing for high tyramine foods and histamine containing or releasing foods: citrus, strawberries, tomatoes, spinach, nuts fish & she'll fish, egg whites etc

Edited by alternativista, 25 December 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#286 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Microbes that can help protect us from the harmful chemicals we've filled our environment with

http://www.greenmedi...003e28-86969685

Mostly common probiotics. And yeasts, which I don't know if they are common or not. I'd have to look them up.  Kefir & Kombucha both contain yeast strains.  They are started with a SCOBY which stands for Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria & Yeast. 

Example:  Per animal studies, Bifidobacterium breve and Lactobacillus casei, common probiotics, can help prevent absorption of BPA in plastics

#287 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Just came across some reasons/claims that increasing permeability can be a good thing.  From an article about chickweed. A common weed that is very nutritious, medicinal,  but also contains saponins.

"Chickweed contains soapy substances, called saponins. Saponins, like soap, emulsify and increase the permeability of cellular membranes. When we consume chickweed those saponins increase our ability to absorb nutrients, especially minerals. They also dissolve and break down unwanted matter, including disease-causing bacteria, cysts, benign tumors, thickened mucus in the respiratory and digestive systems, and excess fat cells"

read on if you want to learn mre about breaking down fat cells.  And topical uses in which what I would have guessed to be harmful properties are good things.

http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Chickweed-A-Star.htm 

So, are some people's guts not permeable enough?

#288 EpicPropriety

EpicPropriety

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

I have Hashimoto's and terrible acne on my face, neck, chest and back. It is uncontrollable. I do not know what to do. I currently take bioidentical T4, DHEA/pregnenolone, probiotics, vitamin D and B, progesterone days 13-27, and anastrozole to balance my estrodiol for the acne which does nothing. I was told I am estrogen dominant, and am tried varies things to balance my system. I work at home, sleep about 10-12 hours a day, exercise 2 days a week, eat fully organic/gluten free/fish/veggies/no dairy/good oils/nuts-seeds and still my skin is horrible! Any tips, or suggestions? I took Accutane and antibiotics as a teen/20's so I do not want to take those again, Spironolactone works but I want to get pregnant within the year so I stopped taking that and birth control pills 2-3 years ago. What else will get rid of this acne? It hurts. I am using Retin-A topically daily, and topical clindamycin a few times a week, washing with glycolic cleanser and Clarisonic. Nothing is working and I'm just so embarrassed. Please help.

#289 fbmbassist

fbmbassist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:playing music, meditation, yoga, eating healthy, humour, www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Since you have a lot going on, I recommend to keep looking into acne.org to see if you can find people who had similar prognosis as you and cleared their skin (perhaps other people with Hashimoto's). Some people don't tolerate Retin-A or strong topicals well. If your skin truly is as bad as you feel, and Retin-A has not helped you at all, then you could be irritating it too much, especially with the glycolic cleanser and Clarisonic. You might need to rebuild your acid mantle layer. Clairsonic is fine for people with healthy, unbroken, uninflamed skin. It's possible that you need to heal your wounds before performing heavy exfoliation. You could also look into the water-only method (search forum topics) and see if that helps at all. It's like an elimination diet for your skin, because you remove things that could be irritating it, and help the skin rebuild its acid mantle layer. If it doesn't help at all, then you don't have to keep doing it. Best of all, it's free.

You're taking a lot internally already, so perhaps start with removing the topicals first and narrow it down until you can figure out what's wrong. Since you have Hashimoto's, I hesitate recommending any internal supplements without checking with your doctor first. You can research DIM (name brand Estroblock - a few of my trusted friends tested different brands, and they claim this one worked the best without side effects), which seems to help people with hormonal acne. If it's ok with your doctor and it feels right to you, you could drop the progesterone and switch to Estroblock daily instead. But Estroblock can take 1-3 months to start showing results, so don't rely on only that.

One thing that helped me is to remember that your skin is your friend, not a enemy battlefield that you have to bulldoze. This especially helped me when dealing with picking. If you touch your skin at all, even lightly scratching out blackheads with your fingernails, then read this website: http://www.stoppickingonme.com/ It will teach you how picking damages your pores (causing the same pimples to show up over and over). It can take many months for your underlying skin to heal after you stop picking. 

You're eating really well, so if you don't think you're eating anything you're allergic/intolerant to, then that part should be fine. Only other thing I can suggest that might help a tiny bit is to change your pillow case daily, no fragrances in your detergent (some people are allergic), and don't sleep on your face. Once your skin normalizes and heals completely, you don't have to keep doing this. But while your skin is sensitive and inflamed, I recommend being careful with how you sleep.

Also, fyi - you might want to edit the gender in your profile (it shows up for every post); right now it says you're male. Since you said you want to get pregnant...so you don't confuse people. :-) I don't visit the forums much anymore, so I'm trying to give as much info as I can in one post, since I might not visit again for a while.

I have Hashimoto's and terrible acne on my face, neck, chest and back. It is uncontrollable. I do not know what to do. I currently take bioidentical T4, DHEA/pregnenolone, probiotics, vitamin D and B, progesterone days 13-27, and anastrozole to balance my estrodiol for the acne which does nothing. I was told I am estrogen dominant, and am tried varies things to balance my system. I work at home, sleep about 10-12 hours a day, exercise 2 days a week, eat fully organic/gluten free/fish/veggies/no dairy/good oils/nuts-seeds and still my skin is horrible! Any tips, or suggestions? I took Accutane and antibiotics as a teen/20's so I do not want to take those again, Spironolactone works but I want to get pregnant within the year so I stopped taking that and birth control pills 2-3 years ago. What else will get rid of this acne? It hurts. I am using Retin-A topically daily, and topical clindamycin a few times a week, washing with glycolic cleanser and Clarisonic. Nothing is working and I'm just so embarrassed. Please help.

#290 fbmbassist

fbmbassist

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:playing music, meditation, yoga, eating healthy, humour, www.nonviolentpeaceforce.org

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

One more thing @EpicPropriety, if you wear makeup: I noticed that makeup brushes generally made my skin worse (because the brushes harbor bacteria, and possibly irritate the skin due to micro-exfoliation). Instead, try switching to something you can gently apply with clean fingers every time (like a liquid pump or tube). Smooth gently over skin and pat lightly to blend. If you prefer powder/mineral makeup, I recommend washing the brushes every single night so that they're clean & dry the next morning.

#291 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

A few quick thoughts. 1) neck acne makes me wonder if its a fod intolerance. Are they cysts or nodules
. Try testing avoiding other foods. Lie the citrus that caused my neck acne.

2) why do you sleep so many hours? How much time do you get outdoors into bright light.

Edited by alternativista, 02 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#292 EpicPropriety

EpicPropriety

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

Thanks, I changed my gender in the profile. :)

My face cleared up this week while having my period, though my chest/back got worse (it all usually gets better during my period). My estrodiol is messed up, as I barely mentioned above, that is why I take the anastrozole, to certainly reduce the acne but I have to take a lot more than the wellness expert originally stated, and the pills are $2 a pop (I take 3 a day, so $6/day for clear skin? - that could be lunch!). Yes, I take progesterone (cream) for days 13-27. This acne feels like a hormone, adrenal or cortisol issue (very complex or somehow all of them together) more than a Hashimoto's issue, but with that I just never know. I will certainly try the Estogenblock, and want to try accupuncture again, perhaps even homeopathic remedies again. I'm open to all of it, one of these things has to work. I have not noticed any changes due to switching foods/eliminating foods, or makeups, though no I do not use a makeup brush. Thanks for the feeback.

#293 TheRaymond

TheRaymond

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

My current diet

-No dairy, meat, sugar, little to no wheat

- All organic bananas, strawberries, blueberries, kale, spinach, nuts (peanut, almonds, cashews), oats, green tea, lemon water, brown rice, onions, carrots, peppers. 

No real progress on acne, any suggestions on what to take out/put in?

#294 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

My current diet

- All organic bananas, strawberries, blueberries, kale, spinach, nuts (peanut, almonds, cashews), oats, green tea, lemon water, brown rice, onions, carrots, peppers. 

How long have you eaten like that? Did your acne change at all? Oiliness? What's your acne like?

#295 TheRaymond

TheRaymond

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

My current diet

How long have you eaten like that? Did your acne change at all? Oiliness? What's your acne like?

My current diet

Have slowly been changing my diet for a little over a year after I continue to learn about foods and how it it caused from the inside. So this is where I am currently at with my diet. Here is my story 23 year old male, have mild acne (all cystic), got worse after high school. I believe it is hormonal/hereditary  because my mother and siblings all have it as well. Like many have tried just about everything over the counter. I went to to a derm a couple years ago and he gave me tetracycline (which i shouldn't have taken) and a sulfur wash which didn't do much. I hated the idea of using harsh chemicals in or outside of the body so I took the holistic approach.  I have had laser treatments to remove red pigmentation marks and am currently getting TCA peels every 4 weeks. I also have at home glycolic and kojic peels I do. I also have a blue/red trophy skin light therapy I use mostly everyday. I wash with a salicylic and tea tree oil wash and different all natural types of soap, while using the Indian healing clay mask (100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay) mixed with raw honey and organic apple cider vinegar (keep it on for 1 hour). I started using a dermaroller to try to clear up some scars. It is to the point where I don't want to eat anything that I don't prepare myself. 

I am very athletic and workout 4-5 days a week. Meditate daily (very spiritual person). Did a 14 day liver detox. Nothing I do stops my acne completely. Sure I breakout less and they may go away faster but the left over red spots WILL NOT leave. My face is constantly oily within 2 hours of not washing it. (oil has gotten worse within the last year) I think I have a problem with my glands (I sweat very easily at the gym or when i get nervous). I get a new red bumps somewhere every few days so I am never completely clear and the red leftover pigmentation spots are the worst. I also get some body acne as well . Overall I think the diet change has helped, relatively speaking. Appreciate any help/advice!

Edited by TheRaymond, Yesterday, 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users