6 replies to this topic

#1 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

I'm still taking spironolactone, but my derm changed me from Solodyn to doxycycline and from Klaron lotion to Vanoxide HC. I've searched the forums, so I know what to expect from doxy, but I've never even heard of Vanoxide HC and there aren't many threads on it.

It came in a kit with a teeny bottle of the actual medicine and something called ABC lotion. The lotion says it is a "gentle cleanser" and to apply to the skin and wipe off excess. However, I also have the teeny bottle that I'm supposed to apply and leave on, so it's confusing. Do I use the cleanser, leave it on, then apply the Vanoxide on top of it? Do I apply the Vanoxide first, then the ABC lotion? The directions are totally unclear! Also, will this cleanse as in take off makeup, or do I need to remove makeup THEN use the cleanser? I'm already nervous because it has BP in it, which has never worked well for me, and now I have a kit that should probably be easy to figure out but isn't.

I would appreciate any info on how to do this - I'm going to start it tonight if I can figure it out!
Started Accutane 8/24/09
Course ends 4/6/10

#2 Aznboithanh

Aznboithanh

Don_T

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

can you post the exact direction on the forum maybe then we will get a better idea of the product direction, thats if you dont mind ^^.

#3 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

Well, that's the problem. There are separate directions for the medicine and the cleanser. For the Vanoxide, it says "Apply thin film 1 to 3 times daily or as directed by your physician." For the ABC lotion, it says "When used as a cleanser, apply to the skin and rub gently. The excess may be gently removed with a soft cloth or allowed to stay on the skin. When using with water, apply to the skin, rinse with warm water, and pat dry with a soft cloth."

Nothing whatsoever about which order to use them in or whether the cleanser is an actual cleanser!
Started Accutane 8/24/09
Course ends 4/6/10

#4 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Well, apparently no one has experience with this topical, but I thought I would update in case anyone is interested.

I ended up using the ABC lotion just like a regular cleanser, then applying the Vanoxide. The ABC lotion does NOT remove makeup - I have to use a separate makeup remover. Personally I'd rather just keep using the Neutrogena face wash that does both.

I kept waiting for the Vanoxide to dry me out since it has BP in it, but my skin was ridiculously oily the last few days instead. Turns out the pharmacist did not add the little vial of powder to the Vanoxide base like she was supposed to, so I've basically been putting a lotion on my face with no medicine in it for three days! I can't see the bottle last more than a month at the most, so I'm pretty irritated that I wasted some of it due to the pharmacy's negligence. I'm going to call on Monday and complain.

So tonight will be the first night of getting the actual medication on my face. We'll see how it goes! If anyone has used Vanoxide I'm still looking for any info/reviews you're willing to share.
Started Accutane 8/24/09
Course ends 4/6/10

#5 Shan718

Shan718

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

Hey, this is actually my first post, although I have been surfing through acne.org for a while now. I decided to respond since no else answered and didn't want you to miss out on the potential of Vanoxide HC.

Vanoxide HC is actually an incredibly amazing medicine. My derm gave me a sample of it when I had a terrible cyst and Vanoxide actually brought it down significantly (although the cyst has never disappeared). And since I got the sample from the derm, I had to mix the medication myself. The vial is nothing more than BP.The reason why Vanoxide is so amazing is because of hydrocortisone 0.5%, which is what the derms use in cortisone injections. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory agent that works especially great on cysts and nodules. So, don't give up on the Vanoxide (although, I have heard that putting hydrocortisone on your face can be detrimental as well, but I've never experienced any such effect). The only problem you may have is lack of BP in the Vanoxide, since hydrocortisone and BP may work synergistically. The only problem I have is the BP in Vanoxide HC seems to burn a lot more.

Anyway, good luck with your regimen and I hope you got your problem with the pharmacist corrected!

#6 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

Ewwwwww! Hydrocortisone..bleh! Sorry, I despise it and don't think it should be used on the face. And certainly not for acne, even at that concentration. It's just inviting trouble.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#7 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

Yeah, I'm actually not using the Vanoxide because it started making my face irritated and itchy like BP always does. I'm not sure why the derm would give that to me knowing BP has never worked for me.
Started Accutane 8/24/09
Course ends 4/6/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users