Photo

Everyone who wants to be 100% CLEAR SKIN + Healthy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to take my advice and drink lots of water? (77 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you going to take my advice and drink lots of water?

1. Of course! I already started... (57 votes [73.08%])

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. Maybe... I will think about it... (9 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

3. Never... I don't care/Have no effort/time (8 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. Don't know (4 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 fireinthehole

fireinthehole

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

What I don't get is that my cousin who is 24 years old, he completely doesn't take care of his face, He eats Pizza, Chocolate, all the types of food that people say can lead to breakouts. He sleeps his face in his pillow he doesn't even wash his face with any moistorizer nothing and he has completely clear skin! What gives?
purpose liquid cleanser and neutrogena 2.5% BP (thin layer on affected pimples only)

#22 AcneFreeProduct

AcneFreeProduct

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:14 PM

Haha thats because he is not a teenager and he probobly went through puberty.

#23 AcneFreeProduct

AcneFreeProduct

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

already and hes done.

#24 Skin_Obsession

Skin_Obsession

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:09 PM

AcneFree,

Who gives you the authority to go around praising water stating it will guarantee to clear you 99%??

Did you know a hormonal imbalance can cause severe cystic acne? Do you honestly think an MD, or anyone with a brain would prescribe them to drink as much water as possible daily to restore their hormones to proper levels? Umm.. No.

Drinking lots of water to "help" improve the condition of the skin, is not rocket science, and it's been around since the dawn of the roman empire. Notice how I put "help" in quotations? Why? Because, it does just that, it "helps", it does not "cure", or totally "prevent" new breakouts to a success rate of 99%.

I mean, yes I know drinking plenty of water daily helps to flush out your system and benefits all organs including your skin, but please, don't go around stating it's going to cure your acne 99-100%.. it's just not true, if it were, trust me alot less people would have acne, and Dermatologists would be out of business or wouldn't exist in the first place.

I've taken a look at all the "fade" diets regarding the cure for acne.. The supposed build up of internal "toxins", or "mucus", inside your body, which contributes to inflammation, and can be re-produced outside of the skin, as a white-head. Some of these diets, commend 1-2 days a week of "fasting", How long do you honestly think someone could maintain fasting 1-2 days a week? For one.. Depriving your body of nutrients is not healthy to begin with. Initially you may see great improvements, but are you willing to give up not eating 1-2 days a week? Because if you are, remember your compensating your mental, and physical ability to focus and concentrate, just to see maybe, a 50% increase in the condition of your skin, it will NOT completely clear you by itself.

While I'm confident, over time a diet rich in raw foods, such as vegetables and fruits, will help improve the skin, AND other internal organs as well, we have to step back and take a look at the society we live in today. Not everyone wishes to live off a diet of raw foods, that's why we have other methods to fight acne, such as topical and oral medications. What also surprises me alot, is those people who say such things as "Well, way back when.. 60 years ago, or, back 200-300 years ago, the medical conditions (such as acne) never existed like they do today". Really? Do you think that's true? No.. they existed, but they had no clue as to what they were dealing with, because their medical knowledge isn't as advanced as it is today. Yes, I realize their are more processed foods, that can potentially contain dangerous chemcials, but laying the blame on acne, souly on processed foods, is wrong, and in the end I'll tell you will leave you frustrated (as i once was too).

What you have to first realize is if you have a "severe" case of acne, be it cystic or other, the first thing you should be doing is to have a physical exam, to make sure everything is in check. Sometimes certain medications can also cause sudden breakouts.

If you have mild/moderate acne, which most of the population will have sometime in the course of their life, there are lots of treatments available.

Living a healthy lifestyle is only going to make your job at fighting your acne condition alot easier, a healthier internal body is going to help to show a healthy body on the outside as well.

Good Luck, Cheers

#25 Skin_Obsession

Skin_Obsession

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(AcneFreeProduct @ May 28 2004, 07:01 PM)
Haha thats because he is not a teenager and he probobly went through puberty.

I just read this post.. it shows your knowledge on acne is minimal, LOTS of older people get acne AFTER they go through puberty, sometimes years after.

If you really don't know what your talking about don't post.

#26 Smoothbeamin

Smoothbeamin

Smooth Operator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:44 AM

I always think of someone who eats what they want and drinks little water and never gets a zit..? why? becasue acne is a medical condition related to the exfoliation of your skin in combo with increased sebum production. (SEBUM) folks, not oil. Eating a stick of butter will not give you zits. Two entirely different oils. Water is good in healthy amounts, but please dont fool people into thinking its an acne cure. It simply is not.
Your not Smooth enough if your not Smoothbeamin.....

#27 Badass912

Badass912

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:28 PM

come on give him credit, waters great for u and everybody knows it. of course it won't clear u up 100% but it will fuckin help!!! water is the most abundant resource on this planet and our body loves it, drinking 8+ glasses (8 oz. per glass) throughout the day could really help your body out, by flushing out toxins, increasing metabolism, softer smoother skin, healthier hair... just drink the 3 liters a day for a month and then after stop drinking water almost altogether for a week, and u will definately see and feel the difference

#28 JT.

JT.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

Ok, this is going in circles :unsure: . What we do know is that water IS great for our entire bodies. It is very important that we drink adequate amounts each day. Although there may not be any concrete evidence to prove that water helps, many of us think that it does. BUT it doesnt CURE acne. It just may reduce the flare ups. I dont have proof for what i am about to say, but, it is possible that if a person does become 100% clear after drinking 3 L's of water they may not even have acne. Just because one experiences breakouts doesnt necessarily mean that they have acne. Baisically what i am trying to say is what many have said, it doesnt hurt to drink the stuff, even if it doesnt do anything for the face, its great for the body. :wink: I dont think any of us are dermatologists, we just want to help each other out, so lets try not objectify things, :think: idea.gif Lets remember that what works for BillyBob may not work for Peggyann. When all else fails read. Instead of taking peoples word or getting mad at them, lets equip ourselves with knowledge so that we actually provide each other with USEFUL information instead of making generalizations.

#29 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:15 PM

Hmm...Acnefreeproduct, based on what you've said, there's some things I'd like for you to clear up.

Part 1:
Maybe it's that Water and only water will improve/clear your skin?

Maybe it's that Only Water and decaffinated (green, white) tea will improve/clear your skin?

Maybe only water, green tea, fresh 100% whole fruit & veggie blends will improve/clear skin?

In other words, maybe the key here isn't that you drink tons of water, but that you are only drinking water. Or that you are also drinking only pure & healthy substances filled with vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, and DHT inhibiting potential ;-) That perhaps you are avoiding all the other stuff, the non-100% fruit juices, the sodas, dairy, the coffees, etc.

Part 2:
You mentioned sugar. In fact you said that despite drinking tons of water, you would still breakout if you consumed sugary stuff. Correct?

Therefore, based on those experiences, why don't you think that it's your avoidance of sugar & candy that has played a LARGER role in your elimination of acne?

Are you avoiding other foods as well?

I'm just asking because I don't want you to overlook other things that you may, or may not, be doing that are helping you. The last thing I want is for you, or anyone, to shortchange themselves. =)

Take care
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#30 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:23 PM

Sounds like the great water fast of '77. tongue.gif
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#31 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

To everyone,

So which is it? Does it take 2 weeks for acne to form, a month, or 3 months?

I've heard that all of these time periods, and then some, are possible. So what exactly gives one the belief that it takes months for acne to form?

From what I know, it can take as little as a few minutes. OK, that's obviously under the most severest of allergic reactions, but if you are allergic to something, it doesn't take long for your body to have that inflammatory reaction. An allergic rxn is something that is usually instant, occuring within minutes to several hours upon ingestion. Of course, there's always the exceptions to the rule.

Now an Intolerance, is more of a delayed reaction. It can also create an inflammatory reaction, but this tends to occur within days or weeks of ingesting something.

Oh and for those that don't believe in dietary factors, I think my biggest pull here would be the use of incorrect, irrititating, pore-clogging skincare products.

*How many of you have found that certain products broke you out?

*How long did it take? Days, Weeks, or Months before you realized that you were using something that was hurting you more than helping.

*How many of these products were intentionally meant to purge your skin, while others should not have had such an effect?

*How many of you have discovered that it's very specific ingredients in a skincare product that break you out?

*How many of you are soo knowlegable about your skin that you've found places under your skin where it feels like a cyst was waiting to form?

*How many of you have found that your skin felt absolutely smooth and bam 2 days later a cystic breakout in that same spot?

See my point? I hope so
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#32 mr.peabody

mr.peabody

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

I'm quite new to this forum, but I am finding it a great place to exchange ideas and hear about other people's experiences. A good few years ago now I tried to reduce my acne through diet, I missed out all sugary foods and drank only water. Lots and lots of water. Not even tea or coffee, just water. Certainly no sugary drinks like coke. I wasn't on any other treatment at the time, this was the only thing I was doing. What happened? Well, not a lot really. I think my acne did get better a little bit, but I still looked pretty awful. Please bear in mind I drank A LOT of water, and kept this diet up for almost a year before I gave up. To be honest, I don't think diet does anything for me. Sometimes my acne has been completely clear when I've been eating cake, chocolate and all manner of unhealthy things. For me I find my acne is affected much more by mood, as I tend to break out when depressed, than it is by the food I eat.
So what is the answer? Well I think you have to bear in mind that everyone's biochemistry and physiology is different. Pharmaceutical drugs don't even work on everyone. The underlying causes of acne may also vary from case to case. There is no blanket rule. Listen to your body, try different things, and always go by the results. If you can clear yourself through water, well done and good luck. I cannot and neither can a lot of people.
"How come the dove gets to be the peace-symbol? How about a pillow? It has more feathers than a dove and doesn't have that dangerous beak."
Jack Handy

#33 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:37 PM

Hey, don't go off on the guy about the puberty thing because he's partly right. The reason why most adults have acne is because of hormonal imbalances. That's why it's so common in teens and non-existant in kids(except for the ones with wierd hormones). Yes, acne is caused by bacteria, excess sebum, improper exfoliation, food allergies, toxins, but the root cause is hormones.

All the drugs that have a higher success rate are the ones that deal with either the hormones or the immediate causes of hormonal imbalance(like accutane and sebum production). Anyway, if water worked for him, than great maybe it balanced out his hormones. I think that's what a liver flush or liver detox does is allow it to relulate hormones better and if I'm not mistaken that's what saw palmetto and sprio do as well.

I think that stress plays a huge part in this. I bet many of you are really stressed out, which causes surges of certain hormones. I know I used to be wound up all day and stressed over the littlest thing but calming down has helped me I think(could be various products I'm using but even so I'm not so on edge anymore which is good).

Point is we can all use various things like BP and they can work great but you'll never be acne free until your body can balance out your hormones effeciently.

#34 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:04 PM

Changing my diet and increasing my water intake was the only thing that ever had an effect on my acne.
'Till you clear the inside you ain't gonna clear the outside.

#35 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

Drinking a lot of water slowly thoughout the day is not bad for the kidneys, by the way.
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
-Oscar Wilde

#36 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:14 PM

Exactly. It's good for them; they don't "work harder," they were in a better environment.

#37 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Monkeypie @ Jun 3 2004, 12:35 PM)
Drinking a lot of water slowly thoughout the day is not bad for the kidneys, by the way.

If anyone actually thought that...yeesh.

No no, lots of water is absolutely ESSENTIAL for kidney health.

#38 Monkeypie

Monkeypie

It's like dancing only better.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Locnar @ May 25 2004, 04:01 PM)
Your body doesn't need that much water. (unless you are exercising a lot). You're just making your kidneys work hard. There is NO evidence that drinking water will clear acne. Correleation does not equal causation. Learn it and live it.

You lose credibility.
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
-Oscar Wilde

#39 dudeman

dudeman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Monkeypie @ Jun 3 2004, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE(Locnar @ May 25 2004, 04:01 PM)
Your body doesn't need that much water. (unless you are exercising a lot). You're just making your kidneys work hard. There is NO evidence that drinking water will clear acne. Correleation does not equal causation. Learn it and live it.

You lose credibility.

Aye. Now I see that he really is clueless. Kidneys working harder? Please.

#40 natoo

natoo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:04 AM

there are little green men watching us!!!ahh runn!!
ehem.. just becuase a person says 1 thing false dosent mean the other points he has are false.