Photo

Face wash and moisturizer while on accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hello every one hope all is going well.... I am currently on DAY 34 yeah, second time around boo... of accutane.....

I have a really quick question what is everyone using while on accutane to wash their face and moisturze.

What is your regiment?
(how often do you wash)

What have you used that works great?

What have you used and was not to thrilled about?

Currently for me I am using purpose gentle cleanser only at night, and water in the morning.

I am almost out of the cleaner and was looking for something new... I tried aveeno ultra calming cleanser but my skin got red so no go....

Any info will be greatly appreciated... thanks

#2 Vyana

Vyana

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

I wash my face in the morning after waking up, and at night before bed.
Cetaphil face cleanser (maybe the skin cleanser) It's gentle and cleans.
Cetaphil Ultra Hydrating Lotion. Although it's kind of oily feeling at first, it definitly hydrates and keeps my face flake free for the whole day.

Washing with only water dries your skin out more than it should be while on accutane. I would definitly advise using a cleanser and lotion together.

#3 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

I thought that washing with cleansers would dry you out more?

#4 Vyana

Vyana

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (rocklifeonline@hotmail.com @ Mar 4 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that washing with cleansers would dry you out more?

Depends what kind. Some acne cleansers can strip the skin and cause excessive drying. And also if they cleanser is made with soap, that also can lead to drying. But using a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil (which doesn't use soap) won't dry out your skin.

#5 Mkm1022

Mkm1022

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

CeraVe hydrating cleanser is supposed to clean and moisturize your skin. It time-releases something that moisturizes you throughout the day.

#6 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Can anyone one else chime in on what they use and how much you like it or not?

#7 Emeny

Emeny

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

I just started Accutane, but I'm using Cetaphil cleanser, and I love it. It gets rid of the oil and leave my face soft. Can't beat that. I use it at night and in the morning, and I only wash with cool water using my fingertips (no wash cloth), and that works extremely well.

As far a moisturizer, I use Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with an SPF of 30. It is doing fine so far, but I am watching it to make sure it is up to the challenge of Accutane. I will not be changing the Cetaphil, though. Just make sure whatever moisturizer you get is non-comedogenic and has at least an SPF of 30. That is how I've been advised.

#8 nichole xxx

nichole xxx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

the cetaphil face wash has been good to me. the regular clear kind though. not the super gentle white kind. that kind is funky.

i use it day and night.

i have the Purpose cleanser too, but that one is more drying and leaves my face kind of tight, which i hate.

the Cerave cleanser is okay...it just kinda feels like you're rubbing lotion onto your face and then rinsing it off.

i'd recommend cetaphil.

#9 KL Merciless

KL Merciless

The Wraith: Hell's Pit & Shangri-La; He is the Way

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (nichole xxx @ Mar 5 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the cetaphil face wash has been good to me. the regular clear kind though. not the super gentle white kind. that kind is funky.

i use it day and night.

i have the Purpose cleanser too, but that one is more drying and leaves my face kind of tight, which i hate.

the Cerave cleanser is okay...it just kinda feels like you're rubbing lotion onto your face and then rinsing it off.

i'd recommend cetaphil.

I use Purpose... but I'm looking to use something else.

#10 nichole xxx

nichole xxx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Kimoko @ Mar 5 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i use it day and night.

i'd recommend cetaphil.

i mean Purpose is pretty good, it just makes my face kinda tight. does that happen to you or no?

#11 dannym

dannym

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hey Rocklife,

I know some people are not keen on this idea and I wasnt either at first, but after doing some reading at numerous posts on this site I decided to do the whole washing my face with only water.

I was skeptical at first. I have tried all types of facial washes andcleansers etc...went through a period of trying scrubs and exfoliants etc etc......But anyway, I started to get into the routine of washing with only warm water to openup the pours, then throwing some cold water over my face to close em again. In the evening I would take a warm shower and let the pressure from the water do its job and just hit my face. I have stuck to this now for the last month and have seen amazing results. I have honestly found this the most effective cleansing method for me, and hasnt dried my skin out to much at all. I have just stuck to moisterising as normal throughout the day etc. I am on like week 9-10 of my accutane journey now and I feel the water only washing has helped majorly.

Hope this helps bud
Good luck

Danny

#12 KLMerciless

KLMerciless

The Dark Carnival Is Coming ;)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (nichole xxx @ Mar 5 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kimoko @ Mar 5 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i use it day and night.

i'd recommend cetaphil.

i mean Purpose is pretty good, it just makes my face kinda tight. does that happen to you or no?

This is Kimoko, but yes, it does. Very tight, for some reason. Also, I want to change just because of the fact for some reason it doesn't lather very well & it doesn't seem to be doing a good job.

#13 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

what moisturizer are you using? do you like it?

#14 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

more info please

#15 StrwberyN

StrwberyN

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (rocklifeonline@hotmail.com @ Mar 5 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone one else chime in on what they use and how much you like it or not?

Hey, I'm using CeraVe and Cetaphil. I think they work fine at the moment. (Meaning I don't think they are they cause of my initial breakout or anything). CeraVe is fairly light so I like it. I think that bars seem to work better than using the liquid cleansers. I feel like they aren't covering the face properly unless you can create a lather of some sort. I'm confused at the moment whether or not I should be moisturizing if my skin isn't really dry yet? My dermatologist said that skin can be dry before it even feels dry. Have you heard anything similar?

#16 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

i hear you should start moisturizing to help prevent any drying effect.. the less you flake the better.

#17 nos86

nos86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

what moisturizers do you guys like or notice that is working out really well.

#18 Katie_24

Katie_24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hey I have finished week 1 of my first month of sotret at 30 mg and in the morning I rinse with water use a thin layer of the cetaphil cream moisturizer and then sunscreen. In the evening I wash my make up off with cetaphil cleaner and put a heavier layer of the cetaphil cream moisturizer on. This has worked great so far! Hope this helps!!

#19 JuStChIlLiN:)

JuStChIlLiN:)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

Mine is pretty simple all regular drugstore products.
-Chapstick
-Any moisturizer with Vitamin E (I use St. Ives, apply once and your face wont dry the whole day)
-I wash my face twice a day with a soap/shampoo made for people with acne (Tersaseptic, look it up on google)

#20 mfit

mfit

gettinbig

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

once a day cetaphil gentle cleanser (in the shower)
once a day just warm water (before going to sleep)

each time after washing i apply cerave lotion (just got it 2 days ago and love it smile.gif )