5 replies to this topic

#1 s2a6r2a

s2a6r2a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Here's my story:

I'm a 30 year old female that never had acne aside from a monthly pimple or two from hormonal shifts until I was 29 years old. Then, last winter my face began to break out uncontrollably in places I had never had break outs and it occurred all month long. I spent several months finding a regimen that would work for me, but nothing brought my skin back to it's normal clear state. I did find that Clinique Acne Solutions worked on my forehead, but the rest of my face was irritated by the PB. I eventually went to a dermatologist and saw improvements on my chin and cheeks from Differin and Clindagel, but it still did not clear. I continued to use the prescriptions, but I realized that there had to be some element in my life causing the acne.

What can cause/irritate acne?

1. Stress
2. Diet
3. Allergic Reactions

I gradually changed many of these elements in my life.

To reduce stress, I quit a 2nd part-time job that took away a lot of my free time and I also finished my masters degree. My full-time job is now more relaxing and fulfilling. I also shifted my competitive attitude towards running to a more social/recreational attitude. I still run as many miles each week, but the focus is on enjoying my runs rather than straining through them.

My diet changed drastically as well. As a competitive runner, I used to focus on quantity rather than the quality of foods I ate. I just wanted to make sure I had enough calories, carbs and protein to fuel my next track workout or long run. This, combined with my busy lifestyle, led to me eating a lot of highly processed protein bars and energy gels. I also drank a lot of sport drinks. I now try to eat mostly organic foods. I have replaced all my bars and gels with fruit & vegetables and the only thing I drink is water. I also pay attention to ingredients and avoid any foods with high fructose corn syrup, sugar, and partially hydrogenated oils. Also, if I don't know what an ingredient is, I look it up first. We put so many things into our bodies without even questioning what we are eating. Now, I still have my occasional piece of cake and pizza, but I make a conscience effort to eat well 90% of the time.

I also had a hunch that a detergent or cleaner around the house may have contributed to my acne. I switched all my highly fragrant and toxic cleansers to more natural cleansers.

With these changes, I have had not seen a single blemish in over a month. I even went through my entire PMS/period without even a hint of an oncoming blemish. I will never know what caused my acne and what I did to make it go away. I really don't believe it was just 1 thing. I believe everything contributed. In other words, to get rid of acne, you can't expect a simple fix. You need to examine your entire lifestyle.

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (s2a6r2a @ Mar 3 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My diet changed drastically as well. As a competitive runner, I used to focus on quantity rather than the quality of foods I ate. I just wanted to make sure I had enough calories, carbs and protein to fuel my next track workout or long run. This, combined with my busy lifestyle, led to me eating a lot of highly processed protein bars and energy gels. I also drank a lot of sport drinks. I now try to eat mostly organic foods. I have replaced all my bars and gels with fruit & vegetables and the only thing I drink is water. I also pay attention to ingredients and avoid any foods with high fructose corn syrup, sugar, and partially hydrogenated oils. Also, if I don't know what an ingredient is, I look it up first. We put so many things into our bodies without even questioning what we are eating. Now, I still have my occasional piece of cake and pizza, but I make a conscience effort to eat well 90% of the time. ....

I will never know what caused my acne and what I did to make it go away. I really don't believe it was just 1 thing. I believe everything contributed. In other words, to get rid of acne, you can't expect a simple fix. You need to examine your entire lifestyle.

Yep. Same with me. Except I'm no competitive runner. And I had acne since I was 10. And I've been clear for nearly 3 years.

It's not necessarily one thing and it's not exactly the same for everyone. Your body is a system, struggling with a lot of crap we do to it. What systems fail can vary. You give it what it needs it can usually straighten itself out. Even hormones.

You need to add sleep to your list of lifestyle necessities. And a little sunshine.

#3 s2a6r2a

s2a6r2a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

I have been sleeping more as well! I forgot to mention that! I went from 5-6 hours per night to 8-9 hours per night.

#4 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

With these changes, I have had not seen a single blemish in over a month.

That's excellent!

Since it seems like getting chronic acne as a sudden appearance in adulthood is more rare than just having it more or less continue from childhood, I'm really curious if you remember any factors that correlate with the onset (oddly, acquiring the acne is more interesting to me than getting rid of it in this case!):
  • Change in sleeping pattern/location?
  • Change in diet?
  • Change in your source of drinking water?
  • Onset of medical conditions?
  • Change in pills, prescription or otherwise?
  • Change in living location?
  • Face touching someone new (potentially picking up new-to-you strains of bacteria)?

Always looking for clues... biggrin.gif

#5 SomeGuy86

SomeGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (databased @ Mar 4 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's excellent!

Since it seems like getting chronic acne as a sudden appearance in adulthood is more rare than just having it more or less continue from childhood, I'm really curious if you remember any factors that correlate with the onset (oddly, acquiring the acne is more interesting to me than getting rid of it in this case!):
  • Change in sleeping pattern/location?
  • Change in diet?
  • Change in your source of drinking water?
  • Onset of medical conditions?
  • Change in pills, prescription or otherwise?
  • Change in living location?
  • Face touching someone new (potentially picking up new-to-you strains of bacteria)?

wow, so now you know DIET effects acne? Thank me for schooling you, huh?

This person is just another acne sufferer who has cleared thanks to diet modifications. I know i am right about FOODS and ACNE....to bad people are closed minded and believe what ever doctors tell them (they're all about making money)

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (SomeGuy86 @ Mar 5 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (databased @ Mar 4 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, so now you know DIET effects acne? Thank me for schooling you, huh?

I said if you keep researching it'll lead you to what we've been saying, that it involves many factors in bodily function and that zinc isn't 'The One' and only true cause and solution.

Try poor digestion, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, hormone balance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, allergies and intolerances, etc, etc. And those are inter-related often with a causal effect and are also affected by environment and lifestyle habits like stress management, sleep and exercise.

Examples, stress and lack of sleep leading to adrenal fatigue leading to estrogen dominance.

Poor digestion from any reason, like low stomach acid or candida from antibiotics, leading to leaky gut/IBS leading to food intolerances leading to inflammation.

Coca cola and it's high fructose corn syrup, phosphoric acid and diuretic effect over taxing the liver as well as depleting nutrients like zinc, calcium and magnesium.

It goes on and on so much and can never remember it all and of course don't know it all and can't even recall a fraction at any given time, such as when replying to a post. Like I know that many food intolerances begin after instances of high stress, but can't recall how, other than the stress causing poor digestion...

Much more in the links in my signature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users