Photo

Thyroid Gland and Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hi, I have an underactive thyroid and have started taking medication for it. (Eltroxin 25mg per day) I have suffered with moderate acne all my life. I'm 21. I eat well and stay away from foods that are likely to induce acne and I recently started taking calendula tincture which has helped.

My question is, will my acne improve because my thyroid will balance my whole bodys hormonal systema sit wasn't performing correctly up until now or will my acne get worse due to taking a medication which is a synthetic hormone to increase thyroid function?

And is it safe to keep taking a herbal remedy with this medication?

#2 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (b2k @ Mar 2 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is, will my acne improve because my thyroid will balance my whole body's hormonal system as it wasn't performing correctly up until now or will my acne get worse due to taking a medication which is a synthetic hormone to increase thyroid function?

Since nobody knows what causes acne (though there is no shortage of conflicting theories), nobody can really answer that.

And is it safe to keep taking a herbal remedy with this medication?

That seems like a question you really need to work with your doctor on. Even for the worst sort of doctor who just says "don't take anything I didn't prescribe, because I say so", you can always ask "Can you point me to any published research on that?". But it's important for your doctor to know you're taking it, so that if they become aware of new data down the line they know its relevant to your case. And, not-below-average docs are often influenced by their patients to get current on topics they would not have otherwise considered.

I think impaired zinc metabolism is the root cause of chronic acne.
A Zinc Regimen. | My crappy blog.
"When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer -- superstition ain't the way" -- S. Wonder

#3 LittleL

LittleL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

The thyroid imbalance may have been the cause of your acne so you could clear up now that you are treating it. Hopefully that will be the case!

#4 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

Just to let you all know, I've been on the medication for a while now and my skin has never been better! I can't believe how much of a difference it has made! I still take good care of my face and eat right but the thyroid problem definatly seems to be the root of my acne which was obviously caused by the hormonal imbalance. Its worth getting a simple blood test to check your thyroid gland if no other acne "cure" has worked for you!

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

Thyroid hormone is unrelated to the hormones directly involved in acne. However, what happens when your thyroid becomes more active, I don't know. Hopefully it will help. It should help.

What herbal remedy are you taking?

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Mar 13 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What herbal remedy are you taking?

I take a few..

I'd start with a week or two week course of milk thistle to clean my liver, then stop using it, I'd use devils claw about 15 mins before each meal and take echinaforce about 15 mins after until both courses are run, about 3 or 4 weeks, this really helps acne. Then when I've done my 3 or 4 weeks of that I take calendula for a further 2 or 3 weeks and then back to milk thistle. It took me a while to get right but I swear by herbal remedies and a good diet. I notice my skin is best at the devils claw/echinaforce stage but if you overuse one product it looses its effectiveness. I hear agnus castus is good for acne aswell but I've never tried it so far. The brand I find best is Alfredds Vogels range of herbal remedies and they are all fairly cheap.

Oh yeah, pork is really bad for acne! Cut it out of your diet!

I find Nivea oil control cleanser and moistureiser good aswell. Dans regiment works best but I prefer to rotate the use of products to keep the sebum guessing I suppose! biggrin.gif

#7 nantucket_

nantucket_

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

Just curious... Are you making tea out of the herbs? If not how are you using them? Sounds like a good approach.

#8 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

Nope, they come in either tablet form or liquid form and all I do is mix a few drops in a little water and knock it back! You could probably go to the hassle of making a tea with them but the recommended way is to just drink them with a little water. They don't taste great that way but its no worse than a shot of tequila! razz.gif

I had been taking medication and using topical creams but I'd really recommended herbal treatments to anyone who is fed up with medications!

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

Is Eltroxin a thyroid hormone? Or some kind of thyroid function support?

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#10 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

Eltroxin cotains levothyroxine, which to my knowledge is a synthetic form of thyroxine which is a hormone produced by the thyroid gland. Thyroid gland mainly regulates metabolism. Eltroxin is taken when someone doesn't produce enough thyroxine. Levothyroxine replaces the lost levels of thyroxine and returns the thyroid to normal function.

#11 sofie92

sofie92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

I know this is an old post, but hopefully you can answer a few questions I have. I'm 20 and I have mild/moderate acne and I almost went on accutane last week, until my blood test showed I have an underactive thyroid. Although, I can still take accutane if i wished, I feel like maybe I have finally found the route of my acne problem. How much better is your acne now that you've been on the thyroid medication? My cousin who's a physician told me because my thyroid level is only slightly off I can change it without medication. I used to eliminate iodine from my diet because i heard it could cause acne and most of the foods i ate block iodine. (iodine is good for an underactive thyroid) like peaches, strawberries, spinach, cabbage, tofu, and soy. I thought I was being healthy, but overdoing anything is a bad thing i guess.

SO, my question is: what kind of foods do you eat? How much better has your skin gotten? if you go on the thyroid medication is it for life, or will your thyroid ever go back to normal?

thanks!

#12 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (sofie92 @ Aug 16 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this is an old post, but hopefully you can answer a few questions I have. I'm 20 and I have mild/moderate acne and I almost went on accutane last week, until my blood test showed I have an underactive thyroid. Although, I can still take accutane if i wished, I feel like maybe I have finally found the route of my acne problem. How much better is your acne now that you've been on the thyroid medication? My cousin who's a physician told me because my thyroid level is only slightly off I can change it without medication. I used to eliminate iodine from my diet because i heard it could cause acne and most of the foods i ate block iodine. (iodine is good for an underactive thyroid) like peaches, strawberries, spinach, cabbage, tofu, and soy. I thought I was being healthy, but overdoing anything is a bad thing i guess.

SO, my question is: what kind of foods do you eat? How much better has your skin gotten? if you go on the thyroid medication is it for life, or will your thyroid ever go back to normal?

thanks!

First, for mild/moderate acne you shouldn't bother taking accutane. Try vitamins/herbs first and adjust your diet a little to see if it helps. I have moderate acne and herbs/vitamins cleared most of it. My brother was on accutane and its just not worth the hardship, IMO!

I'm not a doctor but I'm unsure as to how your thyroid gland can heal itself, I was told that the medication is for life and the thyroid gland cannot heal itself once its underactive/overactive. Maybe, a big increase in Iodine levels will help if you're only borderline underactive. I felt a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism so it was never a question to go on the medication or not, although my thyroid is underactive due to HFE hemochromatosis, (iron overload).

Since I've went on the medication and sorted my blood iron level out, my acne has reduced greatly, I still have some body acne but hopefully that will clear in time. I havent taken any vitamins/herbs for the last 3 months just to give myself a break and when I go back on them soon hopefully they'll work to greater improve my acne.

As for my diet, I just follow the diet recomendations for hemochromatosis, i.e, eliminate foods that absorb iron including vitamin C even though thats proven to help reduce acne. (although I drink more alcohol than I should!)

Do I think you should try the herbs/vitamins and a good face wash regimen before you go on accutane? Yes. Without doubt. But first, get a few more blood tests and a second opinion on whether you should go on the thyroid medication. In my case, I needed it and am at a low dose now. The medication isn't proven to reduce acne, but acne is hormonal and the thyroid controls metabolism and regulates some hormones so yes, it may have an overall impact on the state of a persons acne.

I hope that was a help. PM me if you have any specific questions about the thyroid medication or diet.

http://www.acne.org/...80#entry2575680

There was a better post about vitamins and herbs on the boards here before but I can't find it!

#13 oli girl

oli girl

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (sofie92 @ Aug 16 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks!

If you have a thyroid problem do not go on accutane. There have been many who have acutally encountered thyroid problems from accutane.
retinoids, Vit a ,thyroid hormones,Vit D and omega 3's are all part of the steroid family.

a normal thyroid should be between 2.0 and 3.0...I have read that for some who have mild thyroid issue (one that is not autoimmune or severly affected) have used natural remedies to keep it in check.
Also there are some medications and foods that can alter your thyroid.

If you live in the U.S. you should get a book by Mary J Shomon regarding hypothyroid, it talks about natural ways to restore thyroid and medications and etc. it is written with well know endo's and she has a website and a monthly news letter.

B2k- You should read the book too, it has a lot of good info for us suffers. I have have autoimmune thyroid (grave's) it helped tremendously. By the way my acne started when thyroid became bad and been battling ever since. So I believe that people w/thyroid disorders and acne can go hand in hand....It's hormonal.

The secret of health for both mind & body
is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.
The Buddha

#14 holly22

holly22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

This post is something I can relate to. I have been exhibiting signs of a hormonal imbalance...I am showing many signs of a Thyroid Disorder as well. I'm 22 and female and I have never had acne until a few months ago. My older sister actually has hypothyroidism. I have been tested years ago for it, but it came back negative. Even if I have it now, I can't afford the medication.

I was wondering if there is a natural supplement to help with thyroid disorders? I'd much rather try that than go on medication.

#15 b2k

b2k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

it is not advisable to leave a condition untreated. untreated problems with the thyroid can lead to serious overall health problems. GET IT CHECKED OUT! buy your medication online from a certified chemist if its too expensive.

as for herbal remedies, there are a few that claim to help hormone imbalance but none that have anything to do with curing a thyroid problem!

#16 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (b2k @ Sep 8 2009, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is not advisable to leave a condition untreated. untreated problems with the thyroid can lead to serious overall health problems. GET IT CHECKED OUT! buy your medication online from a certified chemist if its too expensive.

as for herbal remedies, there are a few that claim to help hormone imbalance but none that have anything to do with curing a thyroid problem!

For the last year i have always had acne on my chin and in same areas really bad, that would come and go every week. Lately i had been feeling really fatigued and losing a lot of wieght which i though was just the strict diet i was on to clear acne, but i was not able to maintain weight as well anymore. I felt like i was gonna pass out a few times and had really light headiness symptoms a couple of times. I thought my BS were low due to diet since i was avoiding it.

I had blood work done today and was diagnosed with an Overactive thyroid problem. So hopefully this will clear me up. I am going to have further tests ran to confirm and get meds.
My Vitamin B5 Log

To be upset over what you don't have, is to waste what you do have

#17 CrossCountrySkater

CrossCountrySkater

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have hypothyroidism and refuse to take synthetic thyroid replacement therapy - a nightmare! My adult acne (never had it in my teens) went away on Armour Thyroid, but after the company was sold the formula was changed. Acne came back with a vengence. I am on Naturethroid and doing better, but not as clear on Armour. I'm no doctor, but it helped me. Be careful, there are several hormones that affect thyroid and they all have to be in balance (T4,T3, and the pituitary).

#18 Lance_Ashford

Lance_Ashford

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:41 AM

A produces hormones that control the metabolic rate of the human body. An overactive thyroid gland will make the system run too fast and hot and the production will make the system run too slow and cold. The effects of in the human body can be devastating as every degree drops the metabolic rate of the body decreases by 6 percent. And so there is no wonder that the people with is depressed or tired always and maybe the reason why acne pops out.

#19 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

A lot of glands produce hormones apart from the thyroid gland. I think, if anything, sex hormones are mostly blamed for acne and they aren't produced by the thyroid gland.
When I'm clear, I'm on top of the world. When I have acne, I'm lost.

View my blog here