Photo

God and Acne

makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#1 geowoman

geowoman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

Does anyone else find it difficult to love and trust God when you have acne? I was raised a Christian all my life. I am 33 years old now and STILL have acne. My skin is STILL incredibly oily, so oily that within an hour of applying my makeup my face looks greasy. Anyway, I have just found it very hard to think that God is very loving and watches over me when my face is a mess all the time. Then I feel guilty for feeling that way. My son just turned 12 and is going through puberty so now he has a little acne as well. I find it so embarassing that we both have acne, although his is "normal" and mine is not. I am so sick of trying to find a product that will work to clear my skin. I am married and my husband has beautiful skin. He does not care that I have acne, but it really destroys my self esteem. I do not feel like being intimate or showing my body to him when I have really big inflammed acne, which is at least a few times a month. I also tend to get acne on my shoulders and back at times and now have tons of scars from it as well. I don't like him to see me without makeup or clothing. I hate feeling ashamed of my skin and body. It makes me just want to give up! I know I have a lot to be thankful for.... a husband who loves me, 2 beautiful sons, but I can't seem to get past my skin. I try to not think about it and I must admit at times I drink too much so I can forget for a bit. I hate that I am this way. I know I should be able to get over it, but I cannot.

#2 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

sorry to hear you are feeling like this. I am going to move your thread to the section of the board for posts on the emotional impact of acne. I think you'll get more readers and more comments there.

#3 anne.s

anne.s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

I used to think that there was some sort of punishment involved with God giving me acne. But I thought about it more and more and begun to realize that I have such a great life given to me by God. I believe that this is all part of our plan...and having acne has certainly given me a different perspective on life. I was very wrapped up with my looks prior to having acne, and now I realize that there is way more to life that an outward appearance. I know it isnt fun to be embarrassed by blemishes...but I found that I was my own worst critic and that true friends like you as you are. Just as you have an adoring husband, I have friends that dont even notice my acne. It has been a great learning experience. I would love to be able to walk outside the door without makeup...but in all reality, I trust that this is the plan for me....and besides that...this is just a temporary life anyway...so why fret?

You have such a loving family.
I know its tough to get over...but just trust that this is part of your plan...
Pray about it.

#4 P3dr0

P3dr0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

For me, God has nothing to do with my acne. What is causing my acne? I don't know because If I knew I would make it go away. I am not religious at all so God and Acne in my life have no interaction. Drinking a lot doesn't solve anything , although it is very fun (at least for me). You already have a family and people who you know do love you. Many of us here are too afraid to look for that someone because we are scared of being judged. So we sit here alone and lonely without that special someone. Sad but true. Your life is great! That is my opinion.

#5 wapak

wapak

toomuch<3tohate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 115
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'm sorry for your problems. But for me God is still good and acne has been a challenge that he gave me and I was able to pass it. Having acne turned me into a good man. Though I am still in the making. If you want my help in troubleshooting your acne problem, just mail me. Though be prepared because what I say will contradict most things out there.

#6 Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea

C'est la Vie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

Personally, I am not all that religious. However, questioning God's love for you because of some minor skin imperfections is rather silly. In fact, I am reading a book now on the auto-biographies of individuals put through torture, during which time they questioned God's love for them--this I can understand, but for pimples? Really?

You've got a fantastic life, from the sound of it, and you are extremely fortunate with a lovely family. Acne is a biological process that is apart of life, some happen to have it worse than others or longer than others--one's religion has nothing to do with it, in my opinion. Try different regimens for your skin and maybe one day you'll find one that works. Best of luck, and have fun with your family. smile.gif

#7 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

I don't 'blame' God for anything. He has given me so much, I cannot see the point in blame.

It's easy to become frustrated with God...it is the easy way. When there is no where else to turn to, he is always there. I've always seen every event in my life as an opportunity of sorts. I don't like acne, at one point I hated it and felt as if I was the most disgusting creature in the world. After a few years and many different events in my life, I realized it has helped to shape me into the person I am today. I would never, ever change that.

Every single thing that has happened to me was needed. Whether I know why or not...well that will come with time. It's easy to give up...but I hope that even though you feel as if God has taken and given you little in this particular field, he has not. You just haven't discovered what it is yet.

I hope things get easier for you. =)

#8 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (duchamp @ Mar 2 2009, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm agnostic, and find it extremely hard to believe that everything in my life goes according to some divine 'plan.' Everything just is, and that's enough for me.

As for the acne - I think it'd be easier to stop believing in my ancestors, because they (and my gene sequence) are clearly to blame for my acne. I can see why you'd feel vengeful at or doubtful of God; I used to be somewhat religious myself and do remember blaming him for my problems. Probably acne as well. Then I put down the Bible, stopped going to church, and that sort of took a load off.

I would just like to say that for some of us...the things you mentioned actually help.While I'm glad you've figured out something to help yourself, I encourage everyone to at least give God a chance. He can do miraculous things.

#9 Bad Idea

Bad Idea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with God.

The Bible was written in a time when genetics and Science didn't exist, so people's explaination for things were way out there.

Now ask yourself this: if a blood test is done after birth on a new born baby, sealed in an envelope and then that baby is brought up to only do "good deeds".

Let's say the baby grows up and saves drowning cats, feeds starving children, gives shelter to whoever needs it, protects the weak - casts out ignorance and is generally an awesome person.

Now they hit their teens and then they get Acne - they get it bad - the envolope is opened, and the tests show a high androgenic component and whatever, they were always going to get Acne?

Well then, How do you resolve such a huge impedance mismatch like that? ...

God didn't do it, neither is God keeping score making sure anyone is 'rewarded'.

#10 monkeyisland90

monkeyisland90

I can't get perfect skin but I'm still gonna try best i

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (geowoman @ Mar 1 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone else find it difficult to love and trust God when you have acne? I was raised a Christian all my life. I am 33 years old now and STILL have acne. My skin is STILL incredibly oily, so oily that within an hour of applying my makeup my face looks greasy. Anyway, I have just found it very hard to think that God is very loving and watches over me when my face is a mess all the time. Then I feel guilty for feeling that way. My son just turned 12 and is going through puberty so now he has a little acne as well. I find it so embarassing that we both have acne, although his is "normal" and mine is not. I am so sick of trying to find a product that will work to clear my skin. I am married and my husband has beautiful skin. He does not care that I have acne, but it really destroys my self esteem. I do not feel like being intimate or showing my body to him when I have really big inflammed acne, which is at least a few times a month. I also tend to get acne on my shoulders and back at times and now have tons of scars from it as well. I don't like him to see me without makeup or clothing. I hate feeling ashamed of my skin and body. It makes me just want to give up! I know I have a lot to be thankful for.... a husband who loves me, 2 beautiful sons, but I can't seem to get past my skin. I try to not think about it and I must admit at times I drink too much so I can forget for a bit. I hate that I am this way. I know I should be able to get over it, but I cannot.

Yeah I definately am in your boat but maybe different feelings and beliefs.... I try going to church anytime i can cause i feel it puts everything in perspective even acne/facial redness or whatever skin issues... But sometimes when face gets red or blemishes and acne appear out of the blue, i get so self cautious that I don't attend or don't even try to get near people for greeting or small talk.. our church is the non spectactor type and people WANT to meet you and greet you and when they see my red, blemished face they think i'm not interested or mad.... (im anxious not mad).. anyhow long story short.. christianity is really all about loving people and god and i feel my acne/redness causes me to be in my shell at times and not connect with people... when my face is on.. that's a different story... you ever feel this way? hope i'm not the only one.

#11 lostgrl

lostgrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:03 AM

Well I suppose "god" is easy to blame but really, why on earth would a "god" cause acne? What kind of a god is that? Certainly not a good one. I think sometimes we make up our ideas of who or what god is and then we can blame him for everything. I don't think god has a thing to do with it-we live in a disease ridden world and as a result of genetics and other factors at play in this world, we get acne. No I wouldn't either be able to believe in a god as loving were he to purposely hurt people with acne or whatever else. That's contradictory and ridiculous.

#12 LittleL

LittleL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

Skin is so much less important than family, and it sounds like you have been blessed with a wonderful one who will love you regardless of what your skin looks like. Outward appearances are so meaningless compared to love. No one's life is perfect. If life was perfect, then we would have nothing to be thankful for because you can't appreciate the good in life without knowing the bad. Think of it this way-acne shows you that your husband loves you for YOU and not what for you look like! That is a wonderful thing! So you're not perfect. No one else is perfect, either. We all have our crosses to bear. If you focus on the good things in life, though, it is all worth it.

#13 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

This is normal, right? Doesn't every person who follows a god find themselves abandoned at least once? I don't think speaking about my beliefs would help you. Maybe you would find comfort in speaking to a priest. There are ways to get closer to your god, and your priest would gladly provide some support.

I think you should take another look around at what you have. You acknowledge you have a beautiful family, but maybe the pessimism over your skin clouds your vision from REALLY seeing it. Your family will always love you, and these are the only people that matter.

#14 Sword of Sorrow

Sword of Sorrow

Go away

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Sweet Pea @ Mar 1 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I am not all that religious. However, questioning God's love for you because of some minor skin imperfections is rather silly. In fact, I am reading a book now on the auto-biographies of individuals put through torture, during which time they questioned God's love for them--this I can understand, but for pimples? Really?

Ever heard of mental torture?

Can be.......horrific.

I would have rather been whipped with a cat o' nine tails with metal claws.

#15 ClaraB

ClaraB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Its the bitter sweetness of life. If we have the most problem free life we would be selfish spoiled brats but our suffering causes us to connect with others who are suffering.. In this world you will have tribulation but be of good courage, I (God) has overcome the world! This life we live on earth is but for a moment. We don't understand why we have the crosses we have to carry and why others have beautiful skin and ours makes us want to die some days or just hide until God heals us!! But in the BIG picture... GOD is still on His throne and like Job said - though he slay me yet will I trust Him. If we give up on Him who else can we turn to?? He is our Heavenly Father. Yes He can heal us in 1/2 a second and on calvary he already did and in heaven we will have the most beautiful skin we have ever seen! But His ways are not our ways... God give you the grace to trust him even in the fire and have hope that one day your sufferings will be over and there is a way out. He will give you the desires of your heart! God bless...

#16 Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea

C'est la Vie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Sword of Sorrow @ Mar 6 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sweet Pea @ Mar 1 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ever heard of mental torture?

Can be.......horrific.

I would have rather been whipped with a cat o' nine tails with metal claws.

I agree, but with acne? Meh, perhaps--to each their own, I suppose, but I personally see it as all boiling down to a degree of vanity, insecurity and self-confidence. But that's just me.

#17 andre0385

andre0385

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

gawd doesnt exist buddy, is an invetion of uneducated people who lived thousands of years ago, as well as many other gods and myths....acne is an skin disease, there are many diseases in this world. Fortunately there are ways to control and prevent acne and honestly it could be worse, imagine all the people that have terminal diseases. Even KIDS man, kids! they leave this world when they are just beginning.

#18 WhateverItTakes

WhateverItTakes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

when my skin looks bad I hate god and dont feel close to him.....it sucks

#19 kago26

kago26

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:23 AM

I suffered from severe acne for 7 years and felt the exact same way several times during my suffering.

But I realize now that acne was really God's way of telling me that the way I was living (my thinking, lifestyle, diet) was not beneficial for my body. Acne was an alarm bell telling me that I needed to make a change before something more serious happened to me.

Anyway, if you are interested, I have posted a quick overview of my regimen for getting clear, the link to it is in my sig.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask =)

K

#20 evertonia

evertonia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

What is a child with cancer supposed to say? I bet he dreams of having acne and live. It's not what your given that matters, it is what you do with what you are given that matters.