Photo

Prednisone has been miracle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#21 TiburonGrease

TiburonGrease

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

Well atleast your derm had the compassion to put you back on it if you got moon acne. Mine was at that point and my derm told me to just stick it out. WTF a few days on prednisone isn't gonna kill me. Luckily I had 9 10mg pills and it worked wonders. I looked presentable today at my convetinion. But I know it will be shortlived and my face will explode in the next couple of days

#22 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

Anybody out there with an accutane story where the breakouts improved after IB and stayed good? Or after 1st month they stayed clear? Sure could use a good story like that

#23 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

For those that have asked how long after getting off prednisone the breakouts come back...Today is the first day I stopped the pred. Kept a couple of pills in case of emergency while I was on. I will document each day so we can see how long it takes the zitfest to return. I really am hoping accutane kicked in but I have to believe it is just too soon. Of course it is not too soon for ridiculously dry skin, lips and eyeballs so dry I cant wear contacts for more than a couple of hours, face as red and dry as santa but too dry for acne...naaaahhhh Well day 1 is over. No new zits to report. Skin remains clear.

#24 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Day 2 off prednisone complete. I cant imagine it could return this soon and for the most part I am still perfectlly clear although there might be some foremations coming from my chin area we will see

Day 2 off prednisone complete. I cant imagine it could return this soon and for the most part I am still perfectlly clear although there might be some foremations coming from my chin area we will see

#25 trick_05

trick_05

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

hey I know you looking for hope and my accutane treatment may give you some. I started last september and had a rough first two or three weeks. After that it was smooth sailing for me. I went from making up BS excuses to not leave my apartment to probly going out too much. After the first three weeks my face stayed almost completly clear and everytime somebody asked me to do something i couldnt resist, i felt so good about my self. Without telling the whole story i was only on it for about two and half months then stopped. My face stayed clear for two months after and now has started to break out again. I just restarted a 5 month treatment at 80 mg yesterday. Im hoping to avoid in IB this time but if I do have it hopefully its like last time where it only last 3 weeks or so. The one thing that may have helped me is my derm kept me on septra for the first month or so of being accutane (which i am doing again). He said it really controls or prevents IB. Anyway I dont think you should stress out about it so much that can only make it worse trust me i know.

Heres what I do when I am on it.
Cetaphil Cleanser and Cetaphil Moisturizer morning and night. Im not a big fan of having moisturizer on my face though so I just put it on when my face is flaky during the day but always at night.
My lips get about as bad as anybody does. I have tried so many different balm chapstick and what not...heres what works best for me. Neoporin Lip Treatment before i leave. Its messy to put on without a mirror. Then during the day when I dont have a mirror i use LypSyl Lyp Moisturizer( comes in what looks somewhat chapstick only bigger.
The other issue I have when on Accutane is occasional bloody noses...usually in th morning. This can really depend on where you live and the climate though. Im in wisconsin so taking Accutane during the winter wasnt the funnest with the cold dry air. So i put a humidifier in my room that seemed to help. This is also why i think this go around will be easy for me because wisconsin goes from bone dry in the winter to humid as hell in the summer.

Hope this helped a little and good luck with your treatment.

#26 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:28 AM

Trick
Thanks so much for your post bro, cant tell u how much it helped. Im going to look up septra now and ask the derm about it. Good luck on your 2nd time around. Ill also hit walmart today and grap those lip things and try them. Thanks again

#27 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

If anyone still wants me to continue the prednisone watch tell me if not this will be my last prednisone update

Day 3 off prednisone Skin still looks excellent cant complain. Looks like things on my chin may break bad, but maybe not right now all perfect. So for those getting off prednisone take heart might be a possibility of staying clear at this point in the treatment (29 days in). Good luck everyone

#28 Thuglife2k5

Thuglife2k5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

uh i really want this shit....but i dont think my derm will give it to me cuz its just my 3rd day.

y dont they jus like give u prednisone to begin with..itd make accutane so much easier.

n does this lower the overalll effect of accutane? i dont get y its like frowned upon by derms

#29 homegirl

homegirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

help me... you have THE funniest posts ever. seriously even though its not funny.. the way you write is pretty dam funny. thanks for the comedic relief.

i want you to keep updating us on whether you break out after getting off it or not. i want to mention this to my derm when is tart accutane on tuesday.. i think ill die if i get a bad IB... like for reals i will become a pod and live in my house until it ends. ill also ask him about that other stuff that was just mentioned in an above log.

but the annoying thing that my doc already told me when i asked him what i could do about IB's is that hell only prescribe me something either topical or antibiotic as the course goes on. at first im suposed to see him every 2 weeks so if i break out then hell give me something. i told him if i break out im not waiting the two weeks and im coming in right away and he betttttter give me something... im not messing around.... i will beg!

anywho keep us updated on both ur breakouts and when your skin clears!! which it most definitely will.. i have faith in you and your skin!!! smile.gif

#30 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:38 AM

Home girl and thug as far as updating further I have some great news the zits never came back. Just finished my 45th dayof tane, prednisone is way out of my system by now and I am still totally clear. Of course I stopped the prednisone a little early because I wanted to have a couple just in case I broke out again, but I am actually with a great new derm and she said if I broke out again there would be no problem with another few weeks. Thug I think I answered your questions on another post, but once again I agree with u 100 percent why dont they have it ready so we dont have to go through the ridiculous IB. If I were u I would call the minute I started the breakout, the good news is the stuff works in a day I was improved 50 percent after about 24 hours and almost 100 percent after 48 so if u get it u dont have to suffer for long
As far as the danger of it, look it up safe for short term use, and if your scared to use it...what the hell r we taking accutane for. I read those horror stories on the site and I get the dry heaves After 2 or 3 weeks (some derms give it for a month or so according to the posts) hopefully the tane will take over for ya. Tough enough with ridiculous lips and dry everything to have the zits hanging around. If your derm is an animal, switch derms and get a compassionate one. That is what I did. The derm should advise, but u should make the decision. Usually Im the kind of a guy that wont say a word, if Im getting a haircut and the hairgirl is cutting all my hair off Ill just sit there like a jack@##s and the still give her a tip and thank her...but not for this...Just too long and devastating to deal with the side effects w/o improvement. I have to hand it to the people who do this multiple times. Im counting down the days until I get my lips back and lose the red clown face and pray I dont need this again.
Good luck to all, and any questions u can email me again anytime...I dont know much about anything but whatever my 45 days worth of experience can help u with Ill be happy to help
Good luck hope it all works for ya,

#31 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

Sorry thug didnt read the last part of the question. Prednisone doesnt adversly effect the tane at all. Some derms are reluctant to prescribe because of possible side effects.RIDICULOUS Just like some derms wont prescribe bactrim because they say it is the only cure for mersa and they dont want u immune to it yet other derms prescribe it for years. Prednisone is not like one of the antibiotics in the tetracycline family that is dangerous to take with tane.
Good luck again

#32 Thuglife2k5

Thuglife2k5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

thanx man. im gonna beg my ass off tommaro after school for this miracle injection? or drug i dont even kno and i dont care. BUt i might not get it, cuz i remember him talking a few months ago wen i braught up prom...and he said he'll jus give me prednisone at that time. So he'll prollly be like wait till prom which is in a month. And the problem is it isnt about having acne at prom...its about regaining the friends i lost with my bullshit skin. SO i need at least a few weeks to get my life back.

as long as i dont kill accutanes 5 month cure...then im fine with takin it.

#33 RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Prednisone has many adverse side effects. I can speak from experience, the panic attacks and anxiety are real. Be very careful if you are on accutane and take prednisone with or without an Rx.

There is my 2 cents. I felt like I had to say something here. =/

#34 Thuglife2k5

Thuglife2k5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

thnx for the advice.

but ive gotten panic attacks and anxiety from when i was on Mino and Tretinoin....it seems like i only have the anxiety when my acne is bad.

if prednisone really works.....i wont have any anxiety...i cant have anxiety without acne really

#35 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

Rip,
Sorry to hear about your panic attacks and anxiety. I hope u can get through them...That being said there arent any contraindictions (did I spell that right?) between prednisone and Accutane. Accutane itself on the other hand can cause both anxiety and panic attacks including depression etc etc etc, so if I were u I would talk to my derm about that.
Thug I am dyeing to know if your derm gave you the script. U have to update. im guessing he will give it to u.

#36 RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

I go on prednisone about 1-2 times per year whenever I get poison oak. It isn't bad but it refuses to go away. I've only had panic attacks/anxiety once while taking it and I was not on accutane at the time. After I realized it was the prednisone doing it to me it was much easier to handle. I'm not saying don't take prednisone while on accutane, it seems like there are many beneficial effects, but before you know how either will effect you be very careful.

#37 RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

I should add that the dosage for treating poison oak and to reduce the inflammation due to your acne is probably much different. My dosage was 60mg per day for 4 days, 50mg per day for 3 days, 40mg/day for 3 days, 30mg/day for 3 days, 10mg/day until I was out. That is a ALOT to be taking. I would imagine a drem would put you on 20mg/day over a few weeks. I could be wrong. Anyone have any insight?

I should add that the dosage for treating poison oak and to reduce the inflammation due to your acne is probably much different. My dosage was 60mg per day for 4 days, 50mg per day for 3 days, 40mg/day for 3 days, 30mg/day for 3 days, 10mg/day until I was out. That is a ALOT to be taking. I would imagine a drem would put you on 20mg/day over a few weeks. I could be wrong. Anyone have any insight?

Also, Thug, I never had any kind of anxiety before either. With or without acne.

#38 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Prednisone dosages differ greatly depending on what it's being used for. For respiratory distress in an acute asthma attack, the taper can start at 120mg a day or even higher. For allergic dermatitis such as poison ivy or oak, the dosages are like mentioned above. For severe acne flare-up, it varies from derm/doc to derm/doc.

It's very important to take the medication as directed; prednisone mimics natural hormones in your body and if you do not taper as directed, your body may not produce those hormones correctly with a sudden decrease in exogenous hormones.

#39 help meee

help meee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Ripper u hit the nail on the head with the lower dosage. I was given 30mg for3 days, 20 for about 3 and 10 till I was out so u r right much lower dose. That Wynne is super knowledgeable, everytime I read his stuff he states exactly whay it takes me hours of researching nightmare to find out and this time is no different. Serious meds that need to be tapered but remember this is short term therapy and as safe as anything else for short term. There are people with diseases that need to be on this for very long term and that is where u hear about the serious side effects like moon face etc. Wonder if thug got his script
Good luck all

Ripper u hit the nail on the head with the lower dosage. I was given 30mg for3 days, 20 for about 3 and 10 till I was out so u r right much lower dose. That Wynne is super knowledgeable, everytime I read his stuff he states exactly whay it takes me hours of researching nightmare to find out and this time is no different. Serious meds that need to be tapered but remember this is short term therapy and as safe as anything else for short term. There are people with diseases that need to be on this for very long term and that is where u hear about the serious side effects like moon face etc. Wonder if thug got his script
Good luck all

#40 Thuglife2k5

Thuglife2k5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hey helpme im hoping u still check this

- well wtf is a script? i dont know wut ur saying

-n also i was wondering if this "baloon face" side effect is permenent...i couldnt imagine it would be...it would only last while ur on it right?

n i tried calling me derm but they werent in on saturdays....im scared to death for 2 reasons
1.) I just had another HUGE breakout....with RED bloody sccabby (i messed with em) marks. covering my most hated area..my cheeks. I have to go back to high school in 2 days...and im terrified cuz i will be SOOO m'f'in paranoid and id be so embarassed to see everyone...ya its that bad.
2.) i really dont think my derm will give me the stuff cuz hes kinda an asshole...but i need it ASAP so i cant switch and get wut i need. He thinks hes tuff shit for some reason so i gaurantee hes gonna say....who cares..u'll get through the hard stuff.

thats cool seeing as i have prom in a month...and its junior year...and i cant flirt with girls and go in my usual group (since ive lost so many friends) wen im so self conscious and pizzafied