Homemade Coconut milk from dried coconut. From a vendor of coconut products. There's a video demonstration here:http://www.freecocon...de-coconut-milk
Homemade Coconut Milk
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 7/8 cup dry unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a medium-size kettle, heat the water, but do not bring it to a boil.
- Place the coconut in a blender and add 1 cup of the hot water.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes.
- Place a colander in a bowl and line the colander with 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth.
- Pour the blended coconut mixture into the cheesecloth and twist to extract the milk, letting the milk go into the bowl.
- Return the coconut pulp to the blender and add the remaining 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes, strain and press through the cheesecloth into the bowl.
Makes about 1 cup
Save the leftover pulp for pancakes & cookies! Mix the coconut with a couple mashed ripe bananas, a little salt and whatever else you'd like such as spices, a little cocoa powder, low sugar dark chocolate pieces, a spoonful of nut butter, etc. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet & bake. Also do with other things besides banana such as baked winter squash or sweet potatoes.
Edited by alternativista, 24 June 2014 - 11:05 AM.