Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Drink recipes from EatinWell.com

All about teas:
http://www.eatingwel...m_source=EWTWNL

Cocktail and Mocktail Recipes
http://www.eatingwel..._cocktails.html

Like this Cucumber Lemonade:
http://www.eatingwel...r_lemonade.html

As always, reduce or substitute the sugars.

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

Brewed Iced Tea

It's come to my attention that many Europeans and perhaps people elsewhere in the world are completely unaware that you can brew teas to make iced tea. I got an obnoxious response about 'real tea' not coming from 'powders and goo' after I made some comment about iced tea in a thread here.

Basically you boil water and steep tea, much like hot tea, except you are usually making it by the liter or two to serve in tall glasses chilled and/or with ice. And it's usually weaker than hot tea, at least here in the American south. Asian iced teas I've had tend to be extremely strong and bitter with nauseating amounts of sugar to compensate. Don't do that.

There are various techniques. You can use a lot of water to brew the tea, use a little water to brew strong tea then dilute with cool water, or brew strong tea which will get diluted when the ice melts. And you can brew tea in cold or room temp water, but it takes longer and with black tea, it gets a bitter, musty taste I hate when you let it steep for long. It works fine with many herb and green teas though. I don't bother to boil the water when I make may nearly daily pitcher of mint tea.

I usually use about the amount of tea you would use for 4 cups of hot teat to make about 2 quarts/liters of water. And chill in the fridge. Have with some lemon, especially the black and green tea.

Black tea needs to be steeped briefly and then strained or the tea bags removed. Otherwise it becomes bitter. If you want stronger tea, use more tea, not more time. I think roiboos gets too strong as well. But I leave green tea and my peppermint tea bags in the pitcher until I've drunk the whole thing.

You can use all kinds of teas: black, green, caffeine free herbals and blends.

You can also mix in a little bit of fruit juice or even add a little fruit to make a sangria like concoction.

Edited by alternativista, 02 January 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#23 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Dairy free Milk substitute and latte recipe

For those who don’t do milk… Try an “egg milk”. In a blender crack an egg and add 2 tbsp coconut oil (or butter if you have no problem with dairy). Add 1 cup of boiling water while the blender is running and voila’… Dairy free milk.

This recipe is remarkably versatile btw. Use coffee instead of water for a frothy latte. Add cocoa, vanilla or cinnamon. Some sweetener and nutmeg makes a yummy, warm egg nog. Can even be used as a base for soup. Can be chilled but you need to stir it up.

#24 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Tumeric Tea Recipes

Tumeric is a powerful source anti-oxident, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial phytonutrients. It's found in curry powder and yellow mustard.

http://herbalmedicin...ke_turmeric_tea

Ingredients:

• 2 cups spring or distilled water
  • ½ teaspoon each powdered ginger and turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • Juice from ½ fresh lemon

Directions:

• Bring the water to a boil, and add powdered ginger and turmeric. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Strain the liquid into a clean coffee mug, and add the maple syrup and lemon. Stir to combine, and drink immediately.
Turmeric Tea for Joint Pain

This is an Ayurvedic turmeric tea recipe that is believed to aid in joint pain relief. It’s thought to lubricate the joints and is recommended for arthritis, bursitis, and tendonitis sufferers, or anyone with chronic joint pain.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Ingredients:

• ¼ cup spring or distilled water
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 3 cardamom pods
  • 1 cup whole, organic milk
  • 2 tablespoons cold-pressed almond oil
  • Honey or maple syrup to taste

Directions:

• Bring the water to a boil, and then add the turmeric powder and cardamom pods. Reduce heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
  • Add milk and almond oil to the liquid. Heat just to the boiling point, but do not allow the mixture to come to a boil.
  • Remove from heat, and strain the tea into a clean coffee mug. Add honey or maple syrup to sweeten, if desired, and drink immediately.
Turmeric Tea – Milk & Honey

This recipe may be the most popular way to consume turmeric spice, aside from its use in culinary dishes. Turmeric tea made with milk and honey is soothing to the whole system, and recommended for sufferers of muscle aches, acne or skin problems, colds, and sore throat.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup whole, organic milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon honey or sugar to taste

Directions:

• Heat the milk on low heat until very warm, but don’t allow it to come to a boil, and be careful not to scald.
  • Add the turmeric powder, and mix well to combine. Transfer the tea to a clean coffee mug and add honey or sugar to taste. Drink immediately.
Turmeric Tea Dosage Information and Precautions

Drink 2-3 cups of turmeric tea per day, as necessary. Although turmeric is safe to consume, it should be taken in moderation, as with any herbal remedy. Women who are pregnant or nursing and sufferers of congestive heart failure, gallstones, or obstruction of the bile ducts should not take turmeric tea.

Read more at Suite101: How to Make Turmeric Tea: 3 Ways to Prepare this Popular Healing Herb | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/...9#ixzz23SOxb1tB

Edited by alternativista, 13 August 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#25 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Watermelon Beverage:

Put the insides of a watermelon in the blender and turn on high.

A pinch of sea salt is optional. Serve chilled on a hot summer day.

#26 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

Alton Brown's Ginger Ale:

Fermented with yeast to provide the carbonation. I'm sure you can reduce/substitute most of the sugar, but you probably need at least a tablespoon to feed the yeast. And you might want to read all the comments before trying it or if you don't like the results of your first batch. Reviewers suggest quite a few variations, doubling of ginger, using brewers yeast instead, etc.

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 ounces finely grated fresh ginger
* 6 ounces sugar
* 7 1/2 cups filtered water
* 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
* 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions

Place the ginger, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the water into a 2-quart saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to steep for 1 hour.

Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing down to get all of the juice out of the mixture. Chill quickly by placing over and ice bath and stirring or set in the refrigerator, uncovered, until at least room temperature, 68 to 72 degrees F.

Using a funnel, pour the syrup into a clean 2-liter plastic bottle and add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups of water. Place the cap on the bottle, gently shake to combine and leave the bottle at room temperature for 48 hours. Open and check for desired amount of carbonation. It is important that once you achieve your desired amount of carbonation that you refrigerate the ginger ale. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, opening the bottle at least once a day to let out excess carbonation.

#27 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Recipe and interesting method for a sorbet made with ginger ale in which you freeze by pouring into icecube trays then use a blender to turn however much you want at a time into a sorbet or ice. An easy method you might want to try with other some of the other drink recipes listed here like the sassy water.

Roasted Pineapple with Thyme-Ginger Ice

Edited by alternativista, 26 February 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#28 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Feb 12 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watermelon Beverage:

Put the insides of a watermelon in the blender and turn on high.

A pinch of sea salt is optional. Serve chilled on a hot summer day.

That's certainly simple. There's lots of variations you can do as well. I make lemonade with the watermelon providing the sweetener. And I've seen watermelon drinks with herbs added like basil, rosemary or thyme.

#29 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

I've been making a fruity tea drink I really like lately using green teas flavored with bits of fruit skins.

I use Salada brands Purple anti-oxident version which is flavored with grape and berry skins. I use 2 tea bags in a jar I think is 2 quarts, but might be 3. I use cold water and just leave the bags in there. And then add a bit of juice or fruit puree for flavor. I've used pure pomegranite juice concentrate, unsweetened from whole foods. I've used ordinary frozen concentrate cranberry which is of course sweetened as that's the only way they make it. Why, i don't get. And I've used unsweetened frozen blackberry pulp from Goya. All good. I tried using more tea to make it stronger but didn't like it as much. But make yours to your taste. It's not rocket science.

They have a citrus version which would be nice with a bit of orange or other juice, but I'm allergic.

#30 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hibiscus Tea aka Jamaica Tea

This is a popular drink throughout Central America, the Caribbean and Asia. It's a very tart, dark red tea. You'd almost think you were drinking fruit juice and might be a good substitute for those of you who insist on drinking juices.

It's included in Republic of Tea's Get Gorgeous blend that is supposed to help with acne. It's a source of vitamin C and who knows what other antioxidants. It improves blood pressure and blood cholesterol and improving those helps with stable blood sugar. Prized by Okinawans for longevity.

Also, per this site: http://www.brighthub...cles/18697.aspx

Hibiscus tea contains an enzyme inhibitor which blocks the production of amylase. Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down complex sugars and starches. Drinking a cup of hibiscus tea after meals will reduce the absorption of dietary carbohydrates and will assist in weight loss.

Immune System

Hibiscus tea is rich in vitamin C and makes a wonderful herbal remedy to fight off colds and infections by strengthening the immune system.

Other benefits of hibiscus tea include preventing bladder infections and constipation if taken regularly.

I just bought a couple of bags of dried hibiscus flowers at a Mexican market and made my first pitcher of iced tea by boiling 2 quarts (liters) of water then throwing in 2 cups of dried flowers and let steep, then strain into a pitcher. It's extremely tart and very red. Next time I'm going to use less, possibly half the amount, but how much is to your taste and you can always brew strong tea then dilute. Or brew strong tea knowing you will have over ice that will melt and dilute.

One site mentioned using 3-4 flowers to make 1 cup of hot tea.

Edit: So I made another pitcher using half the amount, and it's still pretty darn strong and tart. I'd prefer it even weaker. But that's my taste. I don't really like strong flavored drinks.

I froze some of the too strong tea in Popsicle molds, but they are too tart for me.

Edit again: I now make it with a half cup of flowers to 2 quarts of water. That suits my taste buds.

Edit again: Actually I use less tea than that. More like 1/4 cup. It's the amount I can pinch between all my fingers and thumb. And I make it in cold water. I recently bought a 3lb bag of dried hibiscus flowers at a Mexican market. That's a lot of tea. I was seduced by the better price.

Edited by alternativista, 29 March 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#31 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Recipe for making your own homemade milks:

Almond milk:
1 cup almonds, 4 cups water.

Cashew milk:
1 cup cashews, 4 cups water

Put the almonds and 1-2 cups of water into a blender and blend until creamy. Then add the other two cups of water and blend. Some people prefer to add a sweetener of honey, dates, a ripe banana or just the interior of a vanilla bean. Do whatever suits your diet!

Other nuts can be used as well: Hemp seeds, sunflower seeds or a mixture.

Edited by Dotty1, 29 March 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#32 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Nutrient Dense everyday use milk:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 TBL flax meal
1/2 cup dates
pinch of salt
water

Directions:
I soak all seeds/nuts. Try to soak for at least 8 hours before making. After soaked rinse them off 2-3 times.
Put all ingredients into blender, slowly add water until well blended but you don't want to overdo it unless you like runny milk. Then strain. Blend again and then you can add more water to however thick/thin ya want it.

You can be creative with this as well. It's just a good base I go off. This recipe will make me about 1/3 gallon. I usually triple the recipe to have a gallon to refrigerate. I also like my milk like whole milk though, so those who like their milk like skim milk will get more.

Edited by Thehoper, 29 March 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#33 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:22 AM

Oat Cinnamon Horchata

Horchata is a Latin American drink usually made with rice. But apparently it's must faster to do it with oats and likely contains more nutrients than white rice horchata.

Ingredients

* 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
* 1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick, broken into tiny pieces
* 4 cups water
* Sugar or agave nectar, as needed Substitute or go easy on a bit of honey, etc.

Directions

In a large pitcher, soak the oats, cinnamon and water for a minimum of 30 minutes. Blend the mixture (including the cinnamon) in a blender. Strain and sweeten with sugar or agave, to taste. Serve well-chilled or over ice.

From Marcella Vallodolid, FoodTV's Mexican Made Easy:

#34 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Dr. Oz had a champion bartender and a doctor pair up to create antioxidant rich anti-aging cocktails:
http://www.doctoroz....aging-cocktails

Memory-Boosting Bloody Mary

Ingredients

Makes 1 cocktail
1 tbsp kale
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp turmeric

1 1/2 oz vodka
4 oz tomato juice
1 celery stick, for garnish

Directions

Purée kale, using a blender or food processor, and grate ginger into a bowl.

Combine puréed kale, ginger, ground pepper and turmeric into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.

Add vodka and tomato juice, and shake. Strain over glass filled with ice, and garnish with celery before serving.

Heart-Smart Cooler

Ingredients

Makes 1 cocktail

1 tbsp blueberries

1 tbsp blackberries

4-6 leaves mint

2-3 leaves basil

1/2 oz pomegranate juice

1/2 oz green tea

4 oz seltzer water

Basil sprigs, for garnish

Mint sprigs, for garnish

Directions

In a tall glass, muddle blueberries, blackberries, mint and basil.

Add juice and tea and top with seltzer. Garnish with basil and mint sprigs, and serve with a straw

And there's a sugary liqueur based chocalatini.

#35 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

1 Part Scotch + 1 Part Amaretto = A classy delicious combo

Well perhaps not the healthiest drink but quality scotch/whisky contains some potent anti-oxidants.

Edited by moonbase, 11 October 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#36 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Keep 'em comin', this thread is awesome. Posted Image

#37 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

Something I saw on a website that sold heirloom variety beans, chiles and spices from Mexico:

Chia Lemonade

You may know chia as a seed you smear all over clay animals so that they'll sprout green stuff and then you call it a pet. It may be fun (and it may not be fun) but it's a complete waste of a perfectly wonderful seed that you can use in limeades.
The Aztecs used chia, especially during times of war. You can munch on it and it's crunchy and not totally unpleasant but we think you'll enjoy it more by adding several spoonfuls to a pitcher of homemade limeade and waiting about 20 minutes for the seeds to release their gelatinous texture. It sounds a little gross but I'm telling you it's delicious, more fun than a Chia pet and they tell me it's incredibly healthy.

And that gel is good for your digestive tract.

From the same site which is full of recipes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 medium cucumber, Diva or Lemon
2 cups cold water
1 cup ice cubes
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lime juice

1. Peel cucumber and cut into chunks.

2. In a blender blend cucumber with remaining ingredients until completely smooth
and pour into a glass pitcher.

3. Cooler may be made 6 hours ahead and chilled, covered. Stir cooler before serving.

But skip the sugar. it doesn't need it.

Edited by alternativista, 11 June 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#38 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Coconut or almond milk, ginger and Tumeric tea recipe
http://www.marksdail.../#axzz1hmFNtsBv

#39 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

From MDA

3 Healing Herbal Teas You Can Make in No Time at Home

We hope you all had a relaxing and enjoyable holiday!

Here are three healthy, soothing herbal infusions you can make at home. Herbal teas, of course, are not technically “tea”, but the combinations of herbs, fruit and spices promote many aspects of wellness. These are some of our favorites:

Cleansing & Rejuvenation

Recovering from illness? Or maybe a little too much festivity? Here’s a refreshing, stimulating blend.

1 or 2 strips fresh sliced ginger

2 teaspoons peppermint leaves (basil can work, as well, but won’t be as tasty)

1 teaspoon dried lavender

This herbaceous, spicy blend is wonderful for the stomach and digestion. For an extra herbal note you can add a dash of oregano or a sprig of rosemary.

Posted Image

Sir Iwan Flickr Photo (CC)

Stress

Feeling ragged and overwhelmed? On edge? This infusion is guaranteed to relax.

1 rosehip

1 teaspoon linden flowers

1 teaspoon chamomile flowers

This gentle, sweet blend will help you sleep and promote calm. Add an orange peel twist for extra interest.

Posted Image

Matsuyuki Flickr Photo (CC)

“Stomach Upset”

Why did I eat that? Here’s a natural tonic that will relieve cramps, gas and digestive complaints.

1 heaping tablespoon blueberries (boil and mash – don’t just use jam!)

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1 sprig peppermint

This tasty, light syrup will have you feeling settled and restored in no time.

Posted Image

Lori D Stone Flickr Photo (CC)

Infusion confusion? Here’s how to do it:

Infusion is very simple. You’ll generally want to use about 1 teaspoon of each herb to 1 cup of water, but if you are using dried herbs you may need an extra teaspoon or so. Add the herbs or flowers to water you’ve just boiled (wait for the boiling to settle down before adding the herbage). Cover and wait 10 minutes – presto, infusion! Strain and enjoy.

Read more: http://www.marksdail.../#ixzz1iPHY6vH5

#40 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://eatdrawlive.c...buckwheat-milk/

Oat and Buckwheat Milk Recipe, dairy-free if you use coconut kefir. I'm trying it out today and will be using goat kefir.

Oat and Buckwheat Milk

Ingredients

• 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
  • 1 cup buckwheat (cereal or groats)
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut kefir
  • 2 cups lukewarm water
  • 8-10 cups water to dilute mixture after blending
  • cinnamon, vanilla, honey or stevia are optional
Cooking Directions
  • In a bowl combine all the above ingredients.
  • Cover and let sit for a minimum of 7 hours or overnight.
  • Blend mixture in a vitamix or blender.
  • Using a fine strainer separate liquid from the pulp.
  • Keep the pulp to make granola later.
  • Once all the liquid has been separated add the additional cups of water to dilute the mixture.
  • Test to your desired taste.
  • Add spices and sweeteners of your choice
  • Store in the refrigerator

Note: Be sure to stir and mix up the liquid well before drinking as a separation will occur after storing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users