Photo

what vitamins should i take to help my skin?

vitamin vitamins vitamin d vitamin a vitamin e vitamin k rosacea depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 joeshmo

joeshmo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:59 PM

right now i am a 24 yo male, with a rosacea type effect on my face. needless to say , it causes me great depression and i have no confidence in trying to pick up the ladies.....

my question is, will taking any vitamins help?

each morning i am taking 1 multivitamin which has:

6,000 iu vitamin A
300 mg vitamin C
200 iu vitamin D
100 iu vitamin E
25 mg vitamin K
and some other stuff

and 1 1000 mg vitamin C (for immune system)

i am wondering if i should pick up a bottle of vitamin A and or E and take 1 each with my other vitamins........would that be overkill? will it even help? i have heard A and E are for improving skin health....

thanks

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:05 PM

It all depends on what type of skin you have (oily, combo, etc.) and what skin problems you're trying to deal with.

#3 joeshmo

joeshmo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

my skin is weird.....i would say its a little oily in general...although it is also dry after shower, etc.

#4 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:25 AM

my skin is weird.....i would say its a little oily in general...although it is also dry after shower, etc.

This might be because you are using too much soap and/or shampoo in the shower. excessive soapage leads to excessive drying out, which in turn leads to excessive oils.

At least..from what I understand.

#5 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:06 AM

with a rosacea type effect on my face........my question is, will taking any vitamins help? 

Rosacea
Several skin promoting nutrients may be beneficial in managing rosacea. A diet rich in B vitamins (B-complex) is important to consume because a deficiency in B vitamins is sometimes observed in people with rosacea. According to some studies, vitamin B12 and riboflavin (B2) may be especially useful in managing rosacea. The other B vitamins are thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, B6, and folate. Dietary sources rich in several B vitamins include fortified cereals, brewer's yeast, and fortified instant breakfast mixes. A diet rich in beta-carotene, vitamin C, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids, such as in flaxseed oil, is also essential in rosacea management. Consuming foods low in saturated fat and avoiding trigger foods may lessen rosacea symptoms. 

Mega-Recipes
We believe that it's possible to manage and/or improve certain conditions through what you eat. When we create \"Mega-Recipes\" for an ailment, we strive to include the maximum number of the nutrients that are shown to have benefit for that ailment. We also expect the Mega-Recipe to contain at least 25% of recommended intakes for those nutrients. See the list of recipes that have met our criteria for this ailment. 

What You Should Eat & Why:

flaxseed oil 
The red, itchy patches of rosacea often respond to the essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil, which have anti-inflammatory actions and overall skin-soothing properties. 
Leading Food Sources of flaxseed oil: Oil, flaxseed 

omega-3 fatty acids 
In managing rosacea, omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial because they reduce inflammation and help regulate nutrients in cells. Omega-3 fatty acids are also an essential ingredient in producing prostaglandins, hormone like substances that stimulate contraction of blood vessels. 
Leading Food Sources of omega-3 fatty acids: Salmon, Trout, Tuna 

vitamin B12 
Vitamin B12 is an important nutritional factor in managing rosacea because B12 is essential for cell growth, reproduction, and repair. 
Leading Food Sources of vitamin B12: Beef, Lamb, Yogurt, Tuna, Trout, Oysters, Crab, Clams 

vitamin C 
Vitamin C may benefit this skin disorder in several ways. It's thought to reinforce the membranes lining blood vessels as well as the connective tissue between skin cells. The vitamin also minimizes histamine release, an important function in the setting of rosacea given that histamine widens blood vessels as part of allergic reactions. 
Leading Food Sources of vitamin C: Cabbage, red, Strawberries, Kiwi fruit, Potatoes, Peppers, bell, red, Tangerines & other mandarins, Oranges 

zinc 
Zinc may be beneficial for rosacea because it helps to heal the top layer of skin (epidermis) and to regulate blood levels of vitamin A. Because copper metabolism and status may be influenced by zinc intake, it is important to also ingest copper. Fortunately, among food sources, most zinc-rich foods also contain adequate copper. 
Leading Food Sources of zinc: Barley, Chicken, Wheat, Crab, Oysters, Lamb, Beef, Turkey 

http://www.wholeheal...459,541,00.html

#6 joeshmo

joeshmo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

thanks a lot......can u take too many of 1 vitamin though? as you can see i am already taking a multi and a c......i may pick up A and E and B if i can find it. and take all of them....is that enough? is that too much?

#7 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:43 PM

For the most part, multivitamins are pretty light on the dosage. Sometimes not even to your daily maximum. I'm guessing cause they know that people usually eat! It's not a meal replacement.

Just read the label on the multivitamin bottle and do your research on how much "extra" you need. Example: zinc, C, panto...

#8 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

thanks a lot......can u take too many of 1 vitamin though? as you can see i am already taking a multi and a c......i may pick up A and E and B if i can find it. and take all of them....is that enough? is that too much?

If I remember correctly, It's vits A, E, D and K which are NOT water soluble - too much of these can create toxicity in the body. Other vits (like Vit C) are water soluble which means if you take too much, you will just wee them out.

Remember, the RDA only represents enough to keep you alive. To have optimum health, we normally need a LOT MORE than the RDA.

#9 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:03 AM

Take a look at the Life Extension multi (14 caps a day) - this is probably the best and most comprehensive on the market. Take a look at the amounts on their labelling.

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/mix.html

#10 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:52 AM

GNC women's ultra mega is pretty good:

it doubles as a B-80 complex, and also contains 50% DV of calcium (pretty rare in multis).
2 tablets per day

http://www.drugstore...x=BUY-GFI-0-MWS

#11 Guest_june_*

Guest_june_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:44 PM

Rainbow Light Advanced Nutritional System Multivitamin
Barleans Flaxseed oil
Barleans Evening Primrose oil(or Borage oil)

www.Barleans.com
www.Rainbowlight.com

#12 Bailey

Bailey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:14 PM

Flax Seed Oil
OR
Fish Oil

#13 Dices15