Photo

My Ortho Tri-Cyclen Journey

hormonal ortho

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

My Ortho Tri-Cyclen Journey

My name is Liz, I’m 23 and have been suffering from mild active acne for a total of 2 years. Last month my mild acne turned into moderate/severe acne. I’m writing this post for those who want to try the Ortho Tri-Cyclen pill for hormonal acne. I will be completely honest with my daily and weekly results, good and bad.

I will posting every few days while on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I’m on my 2nd week so let me update you.

Week one: A little nauseous in the morning so my doctor suggested that I not take it to late at night. 1st day took it at 10 pm, 2nd day 6pm (6pm= no nausea in the morning)

Acne: Still the same as it was before the pill.

Week Two: Feeling ok, loss of appetite. I’m on my 12th pill.

Acne: No change, I did have a cyst under my jaw last week and its completely gone today (faster than usual)

Overall, my face in still pretty bad. I have a lot of clogged pores, blackheads and really bumpy skin. But no inflamed pimples or cyst.

It hasn’t made me breakout, I’m just still dealing with my existing breakout.

#2 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

Glad you're keeping a log! I wish I had done this the first time I took Ortho so I surely wouldn't forget how great it really was! I was on it for 2 years and the combo of Ortho+Differn completely cleared my moderately severe acne in 6 months. I dropped the Differn since I was clear, broke out some, so I switched to Yasmin this past fall hoping for a cure-all, and it was just awful and I wish I hadn't ever quit the Ortho! I went back on the combo of Ortho + Differn and nearly clear again 5 months later.
Have some patience with Ortho for sure, but if it doesn't agree with your body then by all means quit it! Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it'll work for you, it's a long and sometimes painful journey but I really hope you find what works for you (hopefully it's ortho :])
If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Good luck smile.gif
Morning
- Queen Helene Oatmeal scrub
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Night
- Alba Sea Organics Cleanser
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

I've been with this plan for years, keeps me mostly clear!

#3 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm starting my third week and I'm not doing so well. I'm still struggling with my acne.

I haven't noticed any difference. My skin still looks the same, GROSS. But I don't think its from the BC. Ive been dealing with this blackhead clogged pore problem for almost 4 weeks now. Its just not getting any better.

I need something topical to help my current acne and just hope that BC will help any future breakouts.

I Will keep you all posted.

In addition: I haven't noticed any mood swings, low sex drive, nausea or weight gain. I have noticed lost of appetite and weight loss.

#4 catpower

catpower

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:44 AM

hey everyone

when i was 17 i started taking tri cyclen because i got a boyfriend. previously i was on erthromycin for treating my moderate acne (mostly on my chin and jawline) it almost completely cleared up my acne. then i stopped it when i went on tri cyclen and after that just the birth control by itself did wonders for my skin. for 2 years i only rarely had a pimple and i thought i was cured. about 9 months ago i (stupidly) decided to go off the pill. my acne slowly started to come back so after 4 months of being off i started taking it again thinking i would have my perfect skin back in no time... that was 5 months ago!! when i started taking it again my acne got much worse. i thought it was just an adjustment thing and decided to hold out. but now i am at the end of my 5th pack and almost out of hope. my acne has just gone back to the way it was when i was 17.

do you think my body will ever respond to tri cyclen again? do you think it was the break that screwed everything up? should i keep waiting for my body to adjust or has it been too long? can any one suggest another brand of birth control that has worked for them??
thanks everyone. good luck

#5 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hey everyone

So I'm on my 3rd week (17th pill to be exact) of this BC and still no signs of improvement. My face is't any worse than it was just not getting any better so I finally went to the Derm and he gave me some antibiotics to help. So along with the BC I'm now taking 75mg of Doxy once a day (just took my 3rd pill this morning).

Overall:

On the up side, losing weight (not sure if that's a good thing for me cause I'm pretty thin as it is) No mood swings, no loss in sex drive (if anything feeling kinda feisty) and so far (cross fingers) no new breakouts.

On the down side, NOT improving current acne, some breast tenderness and no increase in breast size (Crap).

Will keep you all posted.

Oh and for catpower it does seem like your hormones are all wacky, but then again 5 months should be plenty of time for your body to adjust. Have you changed anything else like your diet, face wash or make-up? Have you seen a Derm? Please keep me updated.

#6 catpower

catpower

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

hey liz.

i really hope tri cyclen works for you. believe me it was the miracle pill the first time i tried it. i thought i was completely cleared from acne. i would maybe have one zit in a month. it waas great. i am a complete idiot for going off it and messing with my hormones. damnit.. anyways. i haven't changed anything else. the only problem is i am a traveller and always living abroad so i cannot go to derms very easily so i have never been to one. although where i am i can get BCP with a perscription so now i am just considering the different brands that i should try. any suggestions. other than that i am a totally healthy, active person. of course there is always something more i could do. but generally i am really healthy and i have really come to realize that my acne is completely hormonally related.. maybe affected slightly by other things.. but mostly just from my wacky hormones (as you called them.. sad.gif .. hehe) i am now using the acne.org regimen but sort of doing a slack job because i dont want to be dependant on it. but the cleanser and moisturizer are both really nice.. i also think i am going to start doxy next week. so you and i are sort of in similar positions with a combo of antibiotics and birth control.. whats your topical regime like?
again, good luck and keep me posted

#7 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

My current regime

Morning
Wash with soap-free gentle face wash. I forgot the name. I bought it off my Derm ($$$$)

Apply Clindamycin lotion (Derm prescribed)

Wait 20min then apply make-up Physicians formula (Its good for acne prone skin, so I heard, it doesn’t cover very well but at least its something)

Take one Doxy 75mg (with oatmeal, I have to take it with food otherwise it’ll make me sick. I’m now on my 10th pill)

Night
Wash with…again I forgot the name. I will post it when I get home

Apply Epiduo

Take 2 fish oil tablets 1000mg

Take Ortho Tri Cyclen (just finished my 1st pack of active pills…its that time of the month)

It’s been 5 days with this exact regime only because I changed from using BP to using the Epiduo my Derm prescribed. I haven’t notice much difference. I guess it got worse the second day of using the Epiduo cause I got 3 large red inflamed pimples (which I rarely get) but they seem to be getting better…. I guess.

The other problem is I noticed that I’m getting these little tiny white heads on my chest (never had acne on my chest before) I think it’s from the Doxy.

I have good days and bad days. Yesterday and the day before were pretty bad, I cried a lot and just felt like giving up on everything, but I’m feeling better today…so far.

Overall I think it’s still to soon to tell if the Ortho is helping my acne. I’ll keep you posted.

OH!!! My boobs are almost a full cup size bigger (I much rather have clear skin and that’s saying a lot, I’m usually an "A-cup")

#8 KateAK

KateAK

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

I am considering switching to this pill, so it's great that your keeping us posted on how you're doing! Thanks! biggrin.gif

Catpower- Loestrin 24 completely cleared my acne that I had for years and years! During that same time I was also using BP wash, alcohol pads, duac and differin, so it may be a combo of those two, but I doubt it. Then, I stupidly switched to Yaz, and BOOM now my skin is awful again. So I would definitely suggest trying Loestrin, it did wonders for my skin. It did, however, have my period come every 2 weeks on the dot for 6 months, which is why I got off of it. A good friend of mine is on it, and it made ehr period stop completely, so who knows lol. Good luck with whatever you decide! biggrin.gif

#9 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hey everyone so I just started my 2nd pack this Sunday and so far no sign of clearer skin. It’s still the same as it was before I started.

Overall

On the up-side: A less painful period not as heavy and it only lasted 4 days!!!(Before the pill I would get it for almost 2 weeks). No weight gain, no nausea and no moodiness.

On the down-side: I Still have acne, I’m losing weight (too much I think, I usually weigh 110, I’m now 104, my ribs are showing…. so gross) Even though I’m not moody I do feel real emotional, every little thing makes me cry, bad and good things. (I cried after watching this dipper commercial…it was so sweet and of course my acne makes me cry all the time) my boyfriend is so confused right now (poor guy).

Oh and that face wash is called “La Roche Effaclar"

#10 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hey everyone, I’m on my 3rd pill of my second pack and things are not looking good. I broke out on my chin and jaw line (small bumps all over, I cant even count them) I so depressed right now. I don’t know if it’s the BC or the antibiotics I’m taking. I’m going back to the Derm tomorrow morning. I’ve been crying all day. I hope this is just an IB and that it will get better, any Ortho Tri-cyclen users have this happen during the first few months? Does it get better? If so please let us know.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

#11 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Ok everyone just finishing up my second pack this Sunday. My face is doing ok (I guess) I don’t even know anymore. I can’t tell if I’m breaking out or if the tiny fleshy colored bumps I had before are coming to the surface. I’m going to see how my skin does during my period week and then decide if I should continue with BC (at all).

Its so hard to tell what’s happening when your taking BC’s, antibiotics, face washes, moisturizers and topicals.

I’m so confused right now. I’ll let you all know how my period week goes.

Till then…

#12 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hey ladies, I know... I totally dropped the ball, I had a horrible episode (mental breakdown) and I'm still recovering (no correlation with the BC). I had to stay away from the web for awhile I started to become obsessed with acne treatment reviews.

So as far as Ortho Tri-Cyclen I just started my 5th pack.

Pros:
No more painful heavy flow two-week periods, my periods now last about 4 days and its like I'm spotting.

My breast are about a cup size bigger.

My hair is shinier and healthy looking, I dont even need conditioner anymore (very silky).

My acne is about 85% better. I still get small breakouts the week after my period (when I start my new pack) which is strange cause the week before and during my period my skin is at its clearest (about 98% clear and super soft).

My sex drive is at full speed (boyfriend is very happy). Its crazy, record breaking.

Please note: Im also taking oral antibiotics (Doxy 75mg a day). Its been 3 months and its really helped. Ive been weaning my self off them (once every other day) for the last past two weeks.

Cons:
It took a total of 4 months for my body to adjust. It took exactly 4 months to notice that it was helping my acne.

Facial Hair! I’m getting more facial hair, long ones and dark, its so gross.

And... thats it.

Overall Its been rough but I'm sticking with Ortho Tri-cyclen as my BC for the rest of the year. I will re-evaluate then.

So the question, "Should I start taking Ortho Tri-Cylcne to treat my acne?"

I say yes, give it a try. But if your as nervous as I was, I would take it in conjunction with an Antibiotic. Just until your body adjusts to the new BC.

I will up-date later with any new effects. If my skin gets even better or worse. Wish me luck.

Oh! also, I skip the green period week pills (non-active pills). I just set my cell phone calender to remind me to start my new pack on Sunday.

And Ive made some alterations to my regimen. I stopped using the Epiduo (way to irritating) I went back to using BP gel. And I also stopped using the Clindamycin lotion (made my skin oily)

My new Regimen (its been a month on this exact regimen)

Morning

wash with Effaclar Purifying Foaming gel (I love, love, love this stuff)
apply BP gel 10%
Apply OC Eight mattifying gel, Makeup Forever Duo Mat Powder Foundation, Physicians Formula Bronzer and blush.

Take: 1 Doxy every other morning, and 2 fish oil tablets.

Afternoon

If face is extremely oily and I'm not going anywhere after work, I wash with Effaclar and just let my skin breath till bed time.

Night

Wash with Effclar
Wipe with 10% Glycolic acid/ 2% Salicylic acid
Apply BP gel 10%

Take: Ortho at 6:00 p.m. on the dot and 2 fish oil tablets.

I visit my derm about once a month for maintenance. A light peel, extractions and cortisone shots if needed.

#13 Yo Adrienne!

Yo Adrienne!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:15 AM

ive taken ortho tri cycle at least 3 seperate times now... ive switched back and forth between at LEAST 7 different pills (because of break through bleeding and other minor issues) and i always come back to OTC! it seems to help my skin the most out of any other pill ive tried so ive decided just to tolerate the bleeding and slight water retention. finding the right birth control pill is SUCH a hassel since it is different for everyone. but OTC definitely took my sever acne and turned it mild.... i wish i hadnt been so stupid and switched pills so often. good luck ladies!!!

#14 michee

michee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I've been on Ortho Tri- cyclen for three weeks now and I just wanted to share my journey..so far.

I have mild/severe acne mainly on my face and when i first started taking pills, my acne started to clear up. I still had a lot of scars on my face but not many bumps. However, when I started my second week on pills, my face just broke out like crazy! I guess it was due to the increase of hormones (because as you may not know, the amount of hormones increases every week) so my face has been breaking out ever since the second week! I'm so frustrated right now but I know that I have to be patient because my body just needs to get used to the hormones..

I really don't want to deal with this for another 2 months so I hope my body adapts to the hormones very quickly and remove all these stupid acne!

Btw, does anyone know how to get rid or scars? Most of my scars are all red cause they're fairly new!

Good luck everyone!