Photo

Women with acne are beautiful

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#41 TitchyB

TitchyB

Im legally a hobbit......

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (SomeGuy86 @ Mar 14 2009, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 13 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FrankPlk @ Mar 13 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 13 2009, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you are right tbh. Everyone on this planet has the right to be and feel beautiful, acne ridden or not. Acne does not make people ugly, only thing is, we have to tackle our own negative thoughts before changing someone elses perception of us.

Good to hear. And good to hear that you have already achieved a lot in tackling your negative thoughts. I hope my posting my opinions will help people a bit in this respect.

I think it will. As soon as you see the flip side of acne, you can start to deal with your own feelings about the aftermath of it. I think my turning point was reading a blog of one of the other users who had severe acne, he came through the other end with a great sense of humour, it seemed like he never let it depress him and certainly didnt allow it to control his life.
So when Im finished here, Ill have scars on my face.... so fricken what? I have my life, my children and my husband.
And a whole bunch of new friends to talk to smile.gif

Attractive and SMART...I'm impressed. wink.gif

Remind me to give you a cookie.

That being said, Acne suffers down the line will learn to adjust and not take the problem too serious as they once did...I've been through that, especially when they change that negative state of mind. Things could be worse.

GIMME COOKIE!
*as long as its free from sugar/hydrogenated oils/additives/dairy..... GAH just give me an apple, its probably safer lol.gif
I think the relief of accepting it as a part of me helps, I dont worry about new ones causing scars as I already have some..... its difficult to explain, its not that I dont care for my appearance (it still takes me a half hour to war-paint up for the day) its just that I do it to look nice for me, not to cover up the flaws for others. Youre so right, things could always be worse.

*Topical Ibuprofen aint just for joint pain*
Live for the moment, laugh everyday, love with all of your heart

Will it work? we'll see

#42 FrankPlk

FrankPlk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 16 2009, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GIMME COOKIE!
*as long as its free from sugar/hydrogenated oils/additives/dairy..... GAH just give me an apple, its probably safer lol.gif
I think the relief of accepting it as a part of me helps, I dont worry about new ones causing scars as I already have some..... its difficult to explain, its not that I dont care for my appearance (it still takes me a half hour to war-paint up for the day) its just that I do it to look nice for me, not to cover up the flaws for others. Youre so right, things could always be worse.

I find acne scars to look nice on women too, by the way. Different from acne itself, but nice too.

#43 SomeGuy86

SomeGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 16 2009, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SomeGuy86 @ Mar 14 2009, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 13 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FrankPlk @ Mar 13 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 13 2009, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you are right tbh. Everyone on this planet has the right to be and feel beautiful, acne ridden or not. Acne does not make people ugly, only thing is, we have to tackle our own negative thoughts before changing someone elses perception of us.

Good to hear. And good to hear that you have already achieved a lot in tackling your negative thoughts. I hope my posting my opinions will help people a bit in this respect.

I think it will. As soon as you see the flip side of acne, you can start to deal with your own feelings about the aftermath of it. I think my turning point was reading a blog of one of the other users who had severe acne, he came through the other end with a great sense of humour, it seemed like he never let it depress him and certainly didnt allow it to control his life.
So when Im finished here, Ill have scars on my face.... so fricken what? I have my life, my children and my husband.
And a whole bunch of new friends to talk to smile.gif

Attractive and SMART...I'm impressed. wink.gif

Remind me to give you a cookie.

That being said, Acne suffers down the line will learn to adjust and not take the problem too serious as they once did...I've been through that, especially when they change that negative state of mind. Things could be worse.

GIMME COOKIE!

funny girl. *rollseyes*

Me being right? weird...i could have sworn you were the one calling me wrong, hateful and full of hostility with my posts, not long ago.

Don't think i forgot, little girl.

QUOTE (FrankPlk @ Mar 16 2009, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Titch O'Binky @ Mar 16 2009, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GIMME COOKIE!

I find acne scars to look nice on women too, by the way. Different from acne itself, but nice too.

LMFAO! someone feels left out.....funny stuff.

Frank, move along.

#44 Alvin

Alvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

i agree, girls with acne are pretty.

its nice knowing some people arent perfect, who wants that.

and some people with acne dont take things for granted, like alot of girls do these days.

beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder, and for me acne and girls is totally acceptable

all girls can be gorgeous no matter what.

live laugh and love people
It's so easy to get lost in constantly having to present
Whatever face you believe a person wants to see rather than your own.
Yet we hesitate to surrender all of our insecurities

#45 FrankPlk

FrankPlk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (SomeGuy86 @ Mar 16 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frank, move along.

I'm not sure i understand what "move along" means. (sorry, I'm not a native english speaker). Could you enlight me?

#46 Sword of Sorrow

Sword of Sorrow

Go away

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Gee, according to this reasoning, the only reason why I never had a real girlfriend until age 35 was because all the women with acne never knew I existed ( or vice versa ).

ROFLMAO.

You are killing me dude.

Seriously.

SOS

#47 SomeGuy86

SomeGuy86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (FrankPlk @ Mar 16 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SomeGuy86 @ Mar 16 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frank, move along.

I'm not sure i understand what "move along" means. (sorry, I'm not a native english speaker). Could you enlight me?

lol, you serious? Your English is pretty DAMN good. What it means, its means...carry on, skip the thread, look else where, etc.

get it?

unless that's sarcasm.

#48 Termolyt

Termolyt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

A little bit of harmless acne is an indicator of hormonal overflow as expected in a healthy young girl (well, I'm talking about teenagers and maybe early twenties here). Severe nodulocystic acne is ugly but so is many things..

#49 FrankPlk

FrankPlk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Termolyt @ Mar 20 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little bit of harmless acne is an indicator of hormonal overflow as expected in a healthy young girl (well, I'm talking about teenagers and maybe early twenties here). Severe nodulocystic acne is ugly but so is many things..

Acne is often linked to hormonal overflow also in adult women. This means that it is only normal for women to have acne from time to time, ad it's not an issue for their beauty.

#50 r0ckst4r

r0ckst4r

BROKEN BEAUTY x

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (suzushii @ Mar 10 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand your desire to make acne more socially acceptable, but you're going at it the wrong (and false) way. This post-modernist rewriting of what some things are (big is beautiful, no it's not, obesity is a disease) is doing more harm then good.

Acne is universally considered non attractive in all cultures. While some part of attractibility can be influenced by culture (from rubenesque, to skinny minnie, from pale to tanned, etc) some are universal (T&A for women, wide hips and firm breasts and delineated waist, clear skin).

Acne represents lesions in the skin, inflammation, random patterned scars, and the collection of pus under a plug of sebum. Saying skin is bad because it has acne isn't some culturally brainwashed fact. It's simply biology. While in the 18th century having a tan meant you were a lowly brute, and now it means you're hot, in all centuries acne was considered a flaw.

Now, do people still recognise beauty in others despite acne? Of course! It may be harder, or easier, on a non-issue, or even a deal breaker for some, but it's another marker that can up or lower your general attractivity level. Thankfully you can raise it by stuff you can control, and that you're responsible for - like how funny, smart, educated, and pleasant you are.

i just think you made some good points here. well said!

#51 Black Beaute

Black Beaute

Acne Is The Devil!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (FrankPlk @ Feb 12 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Women with acne are beautiful.

I know, this sounds very provocative. Don't be too much angry right now, and let me explain myself:

I believe that beauty canons are very cultural. They are stereotypes. Look at painting from the 17th-18th century: women represented as beauty models in these would all be without any second thought considered as overweight today. In the same vein, there are african civilisations where scarring is considered beautiful and women even practice voluntary, ritual, scarring. Whereas we "modern" western people view acne scars for instance as "ugly".

So think about it considering this background: why would acne on a woman be ugly, while, for instance, freckles, who look very much the same, are considered charming (although ot be everyone).

Personally, I find girls with freckles charming. And I also find girls with acne charming, just the same. And I know many other men that think similarly, even if they would rarely dare to say it because it is hard to go against stereotypes.

So, ladies with acne, don't be shy!

Ahh, thank you Frank. That was very sweet of you. wink.gif
Routine:

MORNING: Murad Facial Wash-
Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Spot Treatment-
CeraVe Facial Moisturizer-

NIGHT: Murad Facial Wash-
Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Spot Treatment-
CeraVe Facial Moisturizer-
Retin-A-

(Started 10/2013)

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

#52 FrankPlk

FrankPlk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (r0ckst4r @ Mar 30 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just think you made some good points here. well said![/font][/size]

So shall I conclude that you disagree with me r0ckst4r?
That's your right, of course, but it's all the more a shame as, judging from your gallery, you are one of best examples of a girl being made only more overwhelmingly charming by her acne. You should really drop the motto "broken beauty" (well, the word broken I mean)

#53 Zester

Zester

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

FrankPlk,thank you for putting a smile on my face and giving me hope for a while.But,I think men who share your opinion are extremely rare.Sometimes people tell me that they didnt even noticed my acne and scars-they are pretty obvious,unfortunatelly,because of how great person I am.But thats just two or three opinions.All through school people would call me spotty.The worst thing is when you re in love.And he is great,with wonderful,pure skin.I can be as great as I want,but when another girl comes,with even greater personality than my own,and with a lovely skin,guess whom will he choose.
Sometimes I wonder would Ingrid Bergman,Grace Kelly or Nicole Kidman be considered beautiful with acnes and would they ever become actresses.I wanted to be one,too,but never tried drama school for obvious reasons.I maybe sound pessimistic,but I guess I accepted reality although it hurts me every day.So I renounced the love of my life.Its simply how it goes.

Edited by Zester, 05 July 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#54 HeadUp

HeadUp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

Acne on girls doesn't bother me at all. An attractive woman is an attractive woman
with or without acne. Think it looks a lot worse on men than it does women.

Imperfections make a woman even more attractive in my opinion.

#55 Fedupofadultacne

Fedupofadultacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

I prefer men who are not 100% perfect as it kind of makes me feel sick.

Small imperfections can be attractive including scars.

However I fail to see how acne is attractive. I know that the state of my skin has prevented me from approaching people I might like to. Also you know when eyes wander away from your eyes & to your acne. Its natural as the eye is drawn to the imperfections. Just like if a lady wears a low cut top you just cant help but notice.

Saying about the acne not being attractive I wouldnt care if my partner had acne, but thats because im covered in it too. there is absolutely no way in hell i could approach someone with smooth clear tanned skin while i am pasty & covered in spots. the rejection would hurt too much lol.

#56 SLgirl

SLgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I, myself being a girl who had acne, would like to add something to this thread.I am a sri lankan and after 1980s and onward, people here have an impression that people with acne are ugly. But in the past, i mean a generation or two back, acne was considered to be a sign of a girl's healthiness, fertility and activeness and girls without acne were taken to be dull, stagnant,ill people. 

However I never listened the comments about my face even when i had bleeding wounds and acne with puss because i always love my self and i am pretty to myself. however i got rid of it after four years and still i am 27.and i was always considered to be a teen of about 15 or 16 even when i was a working girl of 25 coz i had face reddened with acne,which looked youthful, bright and full of life unlike those of girls without acne, which were homogeneous allover(colour and texture),like mummies. even now i have small scarring which contours my face beautifully (and no need of blushing make up too), rarely breakouts which add girly redness and i never do make up so that i am exhibiting my natural beauty without hiding acne scars. And i am often being mistaken to be a younger girl while many of my friends were mistaken to be about 28, 30, 35 or even moms with kids or married women. And there is no specific measurement for beauty.no standards. those funny standards are only in the mud filled heads of beauticians,commercial people and foolish folk that worship the above. 

And i believe the facial features and shapes account for the beauty, not the skin colour or texture.

ex. A person with thousands of acne or some other thing will be handsome if he has enchanting eyes,nose and lips.

And every person is beautiful even if he/she is african,american,european or asian irrespective of skin colour.

FrankPlk,thank you for putting a smile on my face and giving me hope for a while.But,I think men who share your opinion are extremely rare.Sometimes people tell me that they didnt even noticed my acne and scars-they are pretty obvious,unfortunatelly,because of how great person I am.But thats just two or three opinions.All through school people would call me spotty.The worst thing is when you re in love.And he is great,with wonderful,pure skin.I can be as great as I want,but when another girl comes,with even greater personality than my own,and with a lovely skin,guess whom will he choose.
Sometimes I wonder would Ingrid Bergman,Grace Kelly or Nicole Kidman be considered beautiful with acnes and would they ever become actresses.I wanted to be one,too,but never tried drama school for obvious reasons.I maybe sound pessimistic,but I guess I accepted reality although it hurts me every day.So I renounced the love of my life.Its simply how it goes.

Darling, would you read my post? if u have great features u r pretty.

QUOTE (suzushii @ Mar 10 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand your desire to make acne more socially acceptable, but you're going at it the wrong (and false) way. This post-modernist rewriting of what some things are (big is beautiful, no it's not, obesity is a disease) is doing more harm then good.

Acne is universally considered non attractive in all cultures. While some part of attractibility can be influenced by culture (from rubenesque, to skinny minnie, from pale to tanned, etc) some are universal (T&A for women, wide hips and firm breasts and delineated waist, clear skin).

Acne represents lesions in the skin, inflammation, random patterned scars, and the collection of pus under a plug of sebum. Saying skin is bad because it has acne isn't some culturally brainwashed fact. It's simply biology. While in the 18th century having a tan meant you were a lowly brute, and now it means you're hot, in all centuries acne was considered a flaw.

Now, do people still recognise beauty in others despite acne? Of course! It may be harder, or easier, on a non-issue, or even a deal breaker for some, but it's another marker that can up or lower your general attractivity level. Thankfully you can raise it by stuff you can control, and that you're responsible for - like how funny, smart, educated, and pleasant you are.

i just think you made some good points here. well said!

if it is you in the picture, u dont appear pretty to me since u do not have a nice facial shape, lovely eyes which are an essential for a girl and u have only a blunt nose and non-shapely lips and no special attractive feature even if u dont have acne. if u had some acne, ur face would have looked a bit lively and human and natural. now only like a childish painting on parchment.....oh poor...

#57 EatsRainbows

EatsRainbows

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

I don't think that it's always the acne that makes a woman seem less attractive: It's what the acne does to how a woman feels about herself. Men often like confident girls who feel comfortable in their own skin. How can you feel comfortable in your own skin when it's disease ridden?

My Roaccutane Journey

16th May-27th October 2013

15 Years Old/Female/52kg

Month 1- 20mg

Month 2- 40mg

Month 3- 40mg

Month 4- 50mg

Month 5 and 1/2- 50mg

Also see page 4 on my log for the before and after photos :)

"You can't make a rainbow without a little rain"

#58 DearWorld

DearWorld

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

i just had to jump in here with my two cents, this thread is too fascinating.

i see a lot of people on here saying things like "acne is a disease which we are biologically hard-wired to find unattractive, it's just fact." well, yes and no. there is some primitive part of our brain which may strongly prefer clear skin to blemished skin (so i've heard), but like the OP said, there are much more important things that determine who we will be attracted to. i believe our attraction to things like personality and demeanor are actually far more powerful than to any particular physical features. the argument that one's beauty can be hidden or diminished by acne or blemishes, because of some primitive function of our brain, is a cop-out made by people who have so totally swallowed the beauty ideal that acne = ugly that they cannot see past something so superficial. 

99.99% of everything is culturally produced. any accepted idea or attitude about anything. when in doubt, it's culturally produced. every last naturally-produced biological occurrence has social and cultural meaning ascribed to it. any and every disease (ESPECIALLY those which affect one's perceived beauty) has layers and layers of social and cultural meaning heaped atop the actual biological variance. there is very little that exists  "naturally" in this world, least of all our attitudes and accepted ideals of beauty. 

one last thought: as a single young person, acne has been a blessing as well as a curse. it is like the ultimate crappy-person detector. the difference in the quality of men i have dated before and after my acne got bad has been marked. before, it was a parade of superficial guys who were only interested in my looks, and were all just jerks at the end of the day. now, the guys i go out with find me beautiful for all the right reasons. this type of personality also tends to be mature, intelligent, reasonable, sincere and kind. people who would find me in any way less attractive for my acne, i would certainly find them unattractive for their superficiality and closed-mindedness. there are plenty of people out there who understand what "beauty" really is and they are the only people worth knowing smile.png 

Edited by DearWorld, 18 May 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#59 egreen

egreen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

I know not everyone cares that I have acne (in fact, I know majority of people, male or female, probably couldn't care less). My boyfriend is one of them. I know that whether I'm clear-skinned or going through the worst breakout in history, or if I had a terrible burn accident and ended up with a scarred face, my boyfriend would love me the same and still find me beautiful. Same goes with everyone else I love. So really, that's not even an issue. 

But It doesn't change the fact that I would rather not have acne. I am more comfortable when my face is clear. It's more than just appearance. Its the oil on my skin that I can feel when I touch my face, or the pain I get sometimes when I get a particularily bad pimple. No one enjoys that when it happens to them. More importantly though is the health. I know that when I break out its my body trying to tell me something else is wrong - like I'm not getting enough proper nurtition, I'm dehydrated, or my body is reacting to the toxins in the environment or a product I'm using.

I appreciate you trying to tell women fighting with acne that men will still think they are beautiful (because its true, duh), but women being uncomfortable with their acne doesn't solely revolve around a fear of not pleasing men. (Nice try). 

#60 a.p.

a.p.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

The whole point in the OP posting this was to try and ingrain some confidence in women suffering from acne but, I guess that kinda backfired :/

Edited by a.p., 01 June 2013 - 02:51 PM.