Photo

Differin and Closed Comedones vs. Salicylic

rosacea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

I appreciate any feedback. I over 40 and still suffer with closed comedones. I also have rosacea. I'm on Finacea for the rosacea but its not doing much for getting rid of the closed comedones. My derm has given me some differin which he says will work. I'm scared about this because I really am tired of the breakouts. I'm just basically breakout free after 3 years (I had no idea that my BC was causing cystic acne). What has anyone's response been with differin? Will I get an IB from each closed comedone? Will it just absorb into the skin? Any help is appreciated!

#2 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and started Differin to get rid of the closed comedonal acne. That's in conjunction with my Finacea and Oracea. I've used it the past 2 out of 4 nights. Remarkably it softened one major deep closed comedone enough so that last night I was able to extract it. The stuff inside was incredible. I know I probably didnt get all of it out but I was elated as i was struggling with that one comedone for months. Nothing worked, I even tried microdermabrasion to get rid of it. Some of the more smaller closed comedones were able to be extracted tonight. Tmmw I meet with the derm and get 2 injections for papules that are not going away. I must applaud myself for not popping them as I cant stand the PIH from those. My skin was a bit flaky in areas this am so I will perhaps use the Differin every 3rd night. My derm wanted me to do it every 3rd night but I'm anxious for clear skin so I did it every other night. So far I'm happy with the results but find that my skin feels a bit more irritated. So no more toner after my cleanser. All in all seems to be doing the job that SA wasn't doing.

#3 The Genius Next Door

The Genius Next Door

Bona Fide

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

I personally love the Salicylic acid, but saw ZERO results with Differin.

You should just go on Accutane.
It will get rid of your rosacea as well. tongue.gif

#4 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Thanks, but I"m not bad enough for accutane yet, its just the stupid closed comedones. So far Differin seems to be working faster than SA because it got rid of that one stubbon whitehead that SA was not doing anything for. Its just trial and error with this stupid acne.

#5 heyaawhatsupp

heyaawhatsupp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

my skin is mostly closed comedones, too. i have manyyyyyyyyy blackheads. i think slowly i got initial breakout, but not nearly as bad as i thought that i would. im pretty sure the differin is going to clear up your closed comedones very well, the blackheads on my skin are deffinately not as dark as they once were.
im on week nine and started seeing good results around week six.
so its good that you decided to go with the differin. just stick it through and you'll see results(:

#6 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

are you using differin every day or every other day? I'm doing it every other day.

#7 heyaawhatsupp

heyaawhatsupp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

i was going to use differin everyday because i was worried about the initial breakout, but instead i used it everyday. ive read that using it every other day will make the initial breakout last longer because the differin is not being put on as often, and is taking longer to get into your skin to work.

#8 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thats interesting, my derm told me to do it every 3rd day but I want to get this started as quickly as possible. Maybe next week I will apply it every night and just up the moisturizer.
Its been a week with me applying it every other night with Finacea in the am and the other pm. Mild cleanser. I'm noticing a bit more smoother skin on my bad cheek but still have some comedones that havent budged yet. I'm also annoyed because tonight I'm feeling maybe a cyst coming on which is strange because I"m also on Oracea which should be stopping that. I'm sitting here with major BP on it hoping it will go away! However, the bump is coming out near the closed comedones, could it be some IB? I'm also annoyed that I have still PIH and that each new breakout will give me more PIH which will take months to lighten up. Finacea is supposed to help with that but this is so slow! Please, I just dont want any new breakouts!

#9 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

Guess this may be turning into more like a blog on Differin so this will be my last post then I will go to Differin board. I'm thinking of using Differin every night instead of every other night. So far no IB I think - one red bump forming and I dont know why or where is coming from since I'm on Oracea and Finacea. This sucks. I just want to be able to go out of my house without makeup or anything! Tonite was a Differin night. Lets see what it does to the emerging red bump. So far I think I'm a little clearer but still have PIH, that sucks.

#10 Lexi2008

Lexi2008

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

I would strongly discourage using Accutane. I took Accutane in High School and it really was a miracle drug. Cleared up all my cystic acne and for years I was acne free. I use to have those cystic zits, with no visible heads, and won't shrink unless you pop them and take out the white head. Anyway, I'm 33 now and about 6 years ago, I started developing this really bad sinusitis problem. I ended up getting surgery, hoping it will alleviate the problem, but to no avail. Right now, to maintain the sinus problem, I just do daily nasal rinses. At least it's a natural way because I really try to refrain from taking oral drugs which contributes to systemic side effects.

Anyway, about 2 years ago, I started getting breakouts on my chin. They were deep closed comedones, so deep that when I try to squeeze them out myself, I end up scarring my skin. And the hyperpigmentation takes months to fade away. I tried to get facials every 6-8 weeks so that a professional can extract them to minimize the scarring and infection. But they just reappear 2 weeks after the facial. At first I thought it was the products I was using so I switched the line and used something completely different. But still no help.

So most recently, I visited my dermatologist and he explained to me that many past users of Accutane ends up with this problem of having comedones. He prescribed Retin-A to me and explained that I should start seeing some positive results after 6-8 weeks of usage. Just started last night. But he did say the symptoms might get worse in the first 2-3 weeks before it will get better. I'm really not looking forward to see how bad my chin will get....cause it's pretty bad already.

So to make the long story short, if you don't want to have chronic sinus problems and comedones, try to stay away from Accutane if you can help it. If I could afford to get a facial every week when I was in High School, I would've opted for that before starting Accutane. But $80+ each session was too rich for my blood. But I've seen really good results from friends who opted for treating their cystic acne with facials rather than medication. Just food for thought. Of course, you have to find a place that is clean and knows what they are doing...otherwise, it might make your acne worse!

QUOTE (titosmommy @ Feb 3 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I bit the bullet and started Differin to get rid of the closed comedonal acne. That's in conjunction with my Finacea and Oracea. I've used it the past 2 out of 4 nights. Remarkably it softened one major deep closed comedone enough so that last night I was able to extract it. The stuff inside was incredible. I know I probably didnt get all of it out but I was elated as i was struggling with that one comedone for months. Nothing worked, I even tried microdermabrasion to get rid of it. Some of the more smaller closed comedones were able to be extracted tonight. Tmmw I meet with the derm and get 2 injections for papules that are not going away. I must applaud myself for not popping them as I cant stand the PIH from those. My skin was a bit flaky in areas this am so I will perhaps use the Differin every 3rd night. My derm wanted me to do it every 3rd night but I'm anxious for clear skin so I did it every other night. So far I'm happy with the results but find that my skin feels a bit more irritated. So no more toner after my cleanser. All in all seems to be doing the job that SA wasn't doing.

#11 niehaoma

niehaoma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

I was on Accutane. It actually CAUSED my Rosacea I have now. So be careful. When I was one it though, I loved it. No side effects and perfectly clear skin for 6 months. But I replaced Acne with another technically incurable facial condition, Rosacea. I dont know which is worse wink.gif I was on Finacea also for about 4 months. It helped a little, but was drying. Helped with small bumps on cheeks, but not the redness. Tried Oracea, but it made me have an almost allergic reaction to being in the sun. Then 3rd Derm. said to use Differin. It seemed to help at first (few months), but then same cycle came back with small comedonal acne on forehead, nose.

Now I am trying Essential oils, which seem to have the best effect so far on Rosacea cheeks (dry and irritated). We'll see how it goes.

Good luck.