29 replies to this topic

#1 trace1972

trace1972

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

Hi all,

I am very excited about that fact that I am on day 13 of giving up smoking and am very proud of myself.

I have however had quite a few physical symtoms from the withdrawal, one of those being a massic breakout of acne on my face. I have got a whole face full of pimples and some of them are really sore. They just continue to sprout up and I am getting worried that they are not going to go away and are going to leave scarring.

If anyone has any information that could be useful to me, like how long this will last, if it is more than just my body detoxing etc, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks wacko.gif

#2 MostExtreme

MostExtreme

There Is No Easy Way Out

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

Edited by MostExtreme, 25 November 2010 - 05:25 AM.

#3 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

Agreed I'm sorry I can't help with the problem. I do want to commend you on quitting and staying strong.

#4 Siava

Siava

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Location:the South where grits are a staple and frog legs are a delicacy.
  • Interests:Lots of stuff.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

w00t.gif Way to go! eusa_clap.gif I don't have any recommendations though. Perhaps it's just all of the toxins leaving your body and you'll clear up once they're all out.

#5 fromipanema

fromipanema

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (§iava™ @ Jan 29 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
w00t.gif Way to go! eusa_clap.gif I don't have any recommendations though. Perhaps it's just all of the toxins leaving your body and you'll clear up once they're all out.

I certainly hope so. It has been seven days since I quit smoking and now I have three (count them, three!) cysts on my face. Up until now, I had assumed they were due to the mixture of Retin-A and Finacea I began using also last week.

It's interesting, as I've never heard any complaints that smoking aggravated acne. I will keep my fingers crossed that something changes for the better, and soon.

#6 kady75

kady75

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

This happened to me when I quit smoking and it isn't rare on Quitnet they even call them quit zits. It is supposed to be your body purging itself of toxins ect. As for scarring that is always a risk with any zit as we all know too well. I would let them heal and then if there is a mark use mederma on it.

Good luck with the quit!!!!
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers. - Thomas Pynchon

#7 soundtribesector9

soundtribesector9

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

Well quitting would be stress provoking...so your body may be responding to that. I love emu oil for scarring. It has helped my red marks quite a bit. Smoking sucks, I still haven't acheived the goal of quitting. Good Luck

#8 StacyDc83

StacyDc83

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

I just came across your post, and I HAD to reply I had quit smoking back in December, and have had MASSIVE acne breakouts since. I unfortunetly, have started smoking again, but will be quitting again soon, only a little scared that the breakouts will get worse again. So have you found anything that helps you're acne? I have gotten the cystic acne, the red bumps that seem to only heal from the inside. Its gotten really bad, and I've become very self conscious about it. So if you've found anything that helps, I am ALL ears.

Thanks!

Stacy

#9 aswa

aswa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

Has it gone away yet. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago and I broke out worse than I ever had before. I too believe its the body purging itself of toxins but how long does this take. I'm scheduled to take accutane in 2 weeks and I'm considering starting again until I got back on it. WTF, I was hoping you guys were gonna say it only lasted a week.
Quit Smoking 2 weeks ago and broke out worse than ever before. Usually had 2-3 active pimples on my face at one time. Now it's like 10-12 with usually 2-3 cysts. I feel like I'm on accutane. So I started smoking again until I go on accutane on March 4.

#10 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon Zinc: Smoking

Smokers have significantly higher zinc serum levels than non-smokers.

If it were true that much acne has zinc metabolism at its root, then this result would predict that stopping smoking would make acne worse for some people.

#11 aswa

aswa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

I said HAS THIS GOTTEN ANY BETTER????
Quit Smoking 2 weeks ago and broke out worse than ever before. Usually had 2-3 active pimples on my face at one time. Now it's like 10-12 with usually 2-3 cysts. I feel like I'm on accutane. So I started smoking again until I go on accutane on March 4.

#12 UKLady

UKLady

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (databased @ Feb 19 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon Zinc: Smoking

Smokers have significantly higher zinc serum levels than non-smokers.

If it were true that much acne has zinc metabolism at its root, then this result would predict that stopping smoking would make acne worse for some people.

Oh no! I want to quit too.

I have stopped before for several weeks (longest 3 months) and I can't say I noticed my acne getting any worse TBH.

Smoking is bad for your skin generally - could the high zinc levels mean less copper, would it be the copper deficiency that ages smokers' skin more maybe?

#13 winstonUK

winstonUK

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

i think its just the cleaning out of ur bodys toxins... i stoped smoking for a few day i know its poor but i did'nt notice much difference im on ananimo mr antibiotics at the mo and i think there working..?? keep up the non smoking im on one a day and im quitting very soon

#14 aswa

aswa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

I quit a couple times too, but I never broke out. Its like my brain knew that I was serious this time.

#15 acnestress

acnestress

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

I thought smoking was supposed to create pimples. That what my brothers and his girlfriends excuse for the acne. I beleive it is not the case and i am interested in the relationship with smoking. What i can think of is that without smoking your body is under substantial changes with stress and hormones as well as physiological factors. Hey dont start smokin again and to relieve your worries i would get an appointment with a dermy.

#16 whodis

whodis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

one of the chemicals in cigarrettes probably alters the enzymatic function of an enzyme that is essential for the inhibition of bacterial lesions

#17 madzippy

madzippy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

My experience....

I think I posted elsewhere..or maybe another site alttogether.

I quit last year on Independence Day. I'd always had acne but had it under control. Well, a month into quitting, I broke out all around my mouth and chin. I didn't know what the heck was going on as I had done nothing to alter my normal routine. I did some searches and found that smoking lowers your testosterone levels, and when you quit, it creates hormonal imbalance. My dermatologist confirmed that. It's one of those interesting tidbits they leave out when they tell you all the benefits of quitting smoking.

Anyway, the symptoms lasted about a month. I did increase my application of BP, although I don't know if that in itself worked. I guess every body is different, but for me it lasted a month and then everything went back to normal.

Still smoke free here smile.gif I dunno if my skin looks better, but I am breathing better.

#18 SHE'S MARIA

SHE'S MARIA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me
  • Interests:Will fill it in soon (:

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

sadly ive to agree. while i was smokingit actually cleared up all my acne, while i was also using bp and stuff then,

the moment iquit. i started breaking out in cysts.
there is a DEFINATE realtion between smoking and acne. if you think about it, whats the use of putting all the topicals on ur face when your smoking away, and ur internal system is screwed.

took me alot to quit, i took like almost 4 tries. and yeah, my skin sucked at first, and now its getting better. a whole lot better.

#19 pitviper872

pitviper872

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

I quit smoking May 20, 2010 and ever since my acne has been a lot worse. When I was smoking I would get cystic type acne here and there on my face. Now after quitting smoking I get a lot of whiteheads and still some cystic acne. I wake up with a dozen new whiteheads almost everyday and then develop another half dozen over the day. I have very oily skin. This is the worst my acne has ever been, and I've had acne for over 24 years. I hope my skin and body gets balanced out soon!!!!

Chris

#20 Fedupofadultacne

Fedupofadultacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (trace1972 @ Jan 28 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

I am very excited about that fact that I am on day 13 of giving up smoking and am very proud of myself.

I have however had quite a few physical symtoms from the withdrawal, one of those being a massic breakout of acne on my face. I have got a whole face full of pimples and some of them are really sore. They just continue to sprout up and I am getting worried that they are not going to go away and are going to leave scarring.

If anyone has any information that could be useful to me, like how long this will last, if it is more than just my body detoxing etc, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks wacko.gif

I quit smoking about 7 year ago and broke out really bad for a while ((I had acne before but it got loads worse). But it was all the toxins coming out and eventually my skin did improve and get better, and it also looked more radiant in general ie healthy. You just have to stick with it. Cigarettes disgust me these days. They are just so full of toxins and you only get one body so why kill it! (i actually gave up after getting bronchitis for 2 months, and then joining the gym and not being able to breathe as deeply as i wanted to) smoking = grim!