Photo

does peanut butter cause acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 chapstick1

chapstick1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

do you think peanut butter causes acne yes or no?

#2 deadonfive

deadonfive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

for me, HELL YES. which sucks because i LOVE peanut butter. I did a clean diet for about a month, a fast, and then decided to have a little peanut butter. I got carried away with it and ended up eating 1/4 a jar in one sitting. For the next few days I broke out more than normal, mostly around my jawline and temples. My diet hadn't changed and my period wasn't coming up, so I knew it was the peanut butter. Plus, after eating it my heart started racing and my face felt prickly (a sure sign of an allergic reaction.)

Peanuts contain fungal-type toxins and are very irritating to alot of people.

If you can eat PB without breakouts, im sincerely jealous of you!!

#3 JacJack

JacJack

price check!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

This afternoon I made some homemade almond butter with coconut oil
It tastes as good as store bought ones!
but the weird thing is..I had one pimple popped up and matured on my chin within like half and hr after I tasted the butter ( more like...4 spoonful x_x)

Now I place it in the ice fudge and freeze it so I wont waste it / attempt to scoop some out to eat D:

#4 mike_wf

mike_wf

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

According to my own experience and from what I've read on this board, peanut butter can aggravate acne.

#5 elfgirl

elfgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:58 AM

Makes my neck look like I have chicken pox! Elf

#6 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

Peanut butter is weird for me. "health" peanut butters or natural peanut butter breaks me out in small, sugar pimples. I suspect that it's too runny with a lot of sugar in it. Crappy, hydrogenated Kraft peanut butter does NOT cause me acne. Why is this, I don't know. If you check out the nutritional profile, it is a very Optimal food
(I'm referring to the Optimal Diet ratio of 1 gram of protein : 1.5-3.5 grams of fat : 0.8 grams of carbs)
This means that there is only one gram of sugar in Kraft brand PB, 1 gram of fiber, 3 grams of protein and 8 grams of fat. This is probably why it doesn't break me out. I can't eat anything but Kraft peanut butter. Peanuts will break me out BAD, so will pretty much any other un-soaked nuts. This is a really individual thing, and experimenting will really help you in food choices.

Peanut butter in moderation!

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Not for me. But it is a common allergen. You just have to experiment with eliminating it.

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (JacJack @ Jan 28 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This afternoon I made some homemade almond butter with coconut oil
It tastes as good as store bought ones!
but the weird thing is..I had one pimple popped up and matured on my chin within like half and hr after I tasted the butter ( more like...4 spoonful x_x)

Now I place it in the ice fudge and freeze it so I wont waste it / attempt to scoop some out to eat D:

do you just grind it in a food processor? A good one to try would be pumpkin seed as according to whfoods.org it's very high in protein and it's also very high in many of the nutrients we supplement for acne.

Although, it would be greenish and unattractive. But I also think almond butter is kind of unattractive with it's pale, off white color. Maybe a blend.

#9 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ Jan 29 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peanut butter is weird for me. "health" peanut butters or natural peanut butter breaks me out in small, sugar pimples. I suspect that it's too runny with a lot of sugar in it. Crappy, hydrogenated Kraft peanut butter does NOT cause me acne. Why is this, I don't know. If you check out the nutritional profile, it is a very Optimal food
(I'm referring to the Optimal Diet ratio of 1 gram of protein : 1.5-3.5 grams of fat : 0.8 grams of carbs)
This means that there is only one gram of sugar in Kraft brand PB, 1 gram of fiber, 3 grams of protein and 8 grams of fat. This is probably why it doesn't break me out. I can't eat anything but Kraft peanut butter. Peanuts will break me out BAD, so will pretty much any other un-soaked nuts. This is a really individual thing, and experimenting will really help you in food choices.

Peanut butter in moderation!

Could this be a case where the unhealthy vegetable oils added to the Kraft one actually help? The healthy ones that are 100% peanuts could go rancid much quicker.

#10 DeAntonio

DeAntonio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

yep. go with sunbutter, seriously you can HARDLY notice a difference.

#11 masg

masg

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Doesn't for me, I ate like 1 jar a day while trying to gain weight.

#12 CheyCheyenne

CheyCheyenne

Lightsnoise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I think cheap peanuts break me out + probably peanut butter. Arrowhead mills makes a peanut butter from valencia peanuts which aren't really susceptible to mold. If anyone likes it that much, they could try this out. I couldn't find it at my local health food store though. Hemp butter is another possibility but I personally don't like it all that much. The good thing about it though is that I for sure won't get carried away and eat the whole jar at once.

#13 xena467

xena467

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Kraft peanut butter breaks me out. I think peanuts in general might break me out too.

#14 DaisyMai

DaisyMai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hiya all,

I'm not sure if peanut butter causes spots, but i always used to eat loads of it as i thought it was healthy.Until i saw a dietician who told me its actually full of saturated fat and none of the good fats like in other nuts.
I now eat pure organic spreads like cashew,almond and brazil nut butter.Cashew is the best by far smile.gif
They dont contain any rubbish and are full of vitamins and minerals aswell as the good fats

x

#15 CheyCheyenne

CheyCheyenne

Lightsnoise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (DaisyMai @ Jun 28 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hiya all,

I'm not sure if peanut butter causes spots, but i always used to eat loads of it as i thought it was healthy.Until i saw a dietician who told me its actually full of saturated fat and none of the good fats like in other nuts.
I now eat pure organic spreads like cashew,almond and brazil nut butter.Cashew is the best by far smile.gif
They dont contain any rubbish and are full of vitamins and minerals aswell as the good fats

x

There is only 2.5 grams of saturated fat per 16 grams of fat in peanut butter. That is definitely not a lot. Peanuts are very healthy and so is peanut butter as long as it doesn't break you out. Plus, saturated fat (especially from nuts) isn't bad in moderation. I eat eggs all the time as well as coconut and I do not believe it will cause me ill health. Things such as white bread, which don't contain any fat, can cause high cholesterol. Saturated fat in small amounts is not the culprit.