Photo

My experience with acne and diet so far

zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 05:20 PM

I made some drastic changes in my diet a month ago.

-I cut out all dairy
-I cut out most processed foods
-I cut out ALL caffeine
-I drastically increased the amounts of vegetables that i ate
-I eat more fruit
-I only eat low GI and/or low GL foods
-I no longer eat any fast food at all
-I eliminated all trans fats
-I cut down on sodium and saturated fats
-I only eat lean meats, mostly chicken and turkey
-I eat mostly organic stuff now, and even buy organic cage free eggs and stuff like that
-I eat much less sugar (mostly from fruits now) and more fiber and protein
-I drink only water and teas (decaffienated or caffeine free herbal)
-I have been VERY strict, and have not cheated

I also started taking the following supplements:

-Alpha Lipoic Acid 200mg/day
-DMAE 260mg/day
-Ester-C 700mg/day
-B5 4.5g/day
-Salmon Oil (for Omega 3 EFAs) 2.5g/day
-Zinc Citrate 45mg/day

Throughout this time, and for some time before i started all of this, i drank plenty of water every day. At least 7-10 glasses.

So, after a month of this, i have seen absolutely no results whatsoever in my skin. My acne, which has been mild to moderate for the past year, has not improved by even the tiniest of margins. The oil production in my face, which is pretty high, has not decreased at all. I will continue with the same regimen for the time being, although i am not optimistic.

I truly believed that this was going to work, and that a change in one's diet would be an effective way to fight acne. Now i am not so certain.

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:39 AM

Have you ever looked into cleaning your liver? Sometimes, no matter how healthy you eat, if your liver is congested, your health won't be running optimally.

Your liver is responsible for filtering out toxins in your bloodstream (it receives and cleans two quarts of blood from the tissues and organ every single minute) and if your liver isn't healthy, the toxins may be recirculated into your body (one possible side affect being acne).

Nobody really thinks about their internal workings these days. :-({|=
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#3 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

Have you ever looked into cleaning your liver?  Sometimes, no matter how healthy you eat, if your liver is congested, your health won't be running optimally. 

Your liver is responsible for filtering out toxins in your bloodstream (it receives and cleans two quarts of blood from the tissues and organ every single minute) and if your liver isn't healthy, the toxins may be recirculated into your body (one possible side affect being acne).

Nobody really thinks about their internal workings these days.  :-({|=

Indeed, i have read quite a bit about it both at these forums, and at other websites such as curezone.com. I am not interested in persuing it. I believe that if my liver and gall bladder were congested to such a degree that i would be experiencing far more symptoms then simply acne. Not that i believe acne is a symptom of gall stones in the first place. I haven't been sick in years, and feel as if i am in good health. I have experienced none of the symptoms commonly associated with gall stone problems. As i understand it, almost everyone has gall stones to some degree, yet for most of us it is never a problem.

Since most people's acne comes and goes at certain times in their life without them ever doing anything to cleanse their liver, i believe that acne has very little to do with it and has much more to do with hormones. This is not, in my opinion, because of poor hormone regulation due to liver problems, but simply your body's need for more hormones at certain stages in life, thus explaining why acne simply goes away on its own for most people.

Furthermore, i am not convinced that such procedures are entirely safe. I have read accounts from people who have experienced severe complications while attempting them, including someone who had to have their gall bladder surgically removed because of it.

Because of that, the flimsy at best anecdotal links between gall stones and acne, and the fact that there are still many more feasible treatment options that i have yet to try, i can say that i am not considering doing any kind of liver flush anytime soon.

However, i do appreciate your suggestion jc, and i appreciate your willingness to to be helpful to everyone on these boards. As i understand it, you have successfully defeated your acne, correct? It is nice of you to stay around and still offer advice and suggestions.

Anywho, it occured to me that i had left some information out in my original post, mainly about what cleansers i was using during this time. I have been using the C&C Blackhead scrub with 2% SA in the shower each morning. At night i would wash with cetaphil's gentle cleanser after washing my hands. Sometimes i would apply Nuetrogena's Oil free moisture at night. Never during the day though, since it gives my skin a shiny oily appearance. Since so much oil accumulates on my face, i usually blot it off with tissue paper 2 to 3 times a day. I think my skin has become more used to the SA now, and i suspect i was using too much of it in the beginning. I haven't been using anything else on my face, no toners or anything like that.

I'm still waiting to see any of the oil reducing effects from the B5. I am thinking about switching to pantethine instead, or using both for a while. Another thing that i may try are guggulsterones.

#4 rommie

rommie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:29 AM

How long have you been on this stricter diet?

#5 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:03 PM

A month.

#6 MisterDreamWeaver

MisterDreamWeaver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:24 PM

Burns - I was on pretty much the same diet for 8 months. Don't waste your time, I didn't see any results either. Stressing over what you eat could cause even more acne.

#7 will205

will205

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:50 PM

You can actually cleanse your liver by just eating healthy food. I have a book called the living cleansing diet and it maintains that you won't begin to see results until 2-3 months, so keep it up then decide whether to continue or not.

I think my triggers are wheat and yeast. I still eat foods with these but not as much as before.
"As you think, so you are. As you imagine, so you become"

#8 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:38 AM

Stressing over what you eat could cause even more acne.

That's totally true. I find that people who are worried about everything they eat, get worse results.

Everything in moderation.
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#9 cashewboy

cashewboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:22 PM

list your daily eating routine

do you eat any bread?

any soy sauce?

little things like that can flare up acne very bad.

#10 Nico

Nico

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:35 PM

Have you ever heard of "food combining"? It improves digestion A LOT.

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:02 PM

CBurns,
I see a few things that you are doing that wouldn't affect your skin in the way that you would hope. First of all, are you consuming any grain products? If so what are they and are they whole grain?

The other thing is that since your liver is so important, if you don't want to do flushes (that's perfectly understandable), then you still want to do some detoxing & cleansing. You can add L-Glutathione (+ Vit C) capsules to help your liver instead. This is very big for our livers and since some say that it will get broken down completely before it can do any good, you can eat more cruciferous vegetables, take Grape Seed Extract or Pine Bark extract, NAC + Vit C, or Sulphuraphane to give your liver the ingredients it needs to produce its own Glutathione. Boosting the production of this, induces cell death and reduces IGF-1 (which is probably why it induces aptosis) which is a big contributor to hyperkeritinzation & skin cell proliferation. I've been taking 100mg of this for nearly a month and have seen slightly faster healing, and a bit more exfoliation. Perricone also says this would be more beneficial on your skin than internally (since it may breakdown completely). He even makes a special glutathione cream for his acne patients.

The other supplement I would offer up to you is Calcium D-Glucarate. This is involved in aiding the liver in detoxification and the breakdown and elimination of hormones. It's big for helping with cancers, particularly breast and prostate, and so there's some hope that it may help us eliminate those extra hormones we have floating around. Also, maybe you may want to switch from Zinc Citrate to Zinc Gluconate since that is supposed to be more absorbable. If you are doing Zinc Therapy, you want to combine Zinc with B6, for they work best together as DHT inhibitors, than either of them alone.

In terms of the EFAS, getting GLA and EPA are more effective DHT Inhibitors and antiandrogens respectively. You can get GLA from Borage Oil, Evening Primerose Oil, and Pumpkin Seed Oil. EPA from Salmon Oil and Flaxseed (ground to get the lignans). Plus by increasing your fiber intake particularly, Ground Flaxseed & Glucomannon, you are also increasing your antiandrogen effects.

Otherwise, I don't what else to tell you. I know how bad my acne was. I know how high my hormones were. Since changing my diet and going off the medications (testing Saw Palmetto & Glutathione for past month), I don't know what my hormones read, but I knew what they were reading before. At age 17, I had a Free Testosterone (FT) level of 10. A female's max of FT is 1.9, while a males max is 26, and there I was producing nearly 425% more than the average female in the high-normal range! I took BC (antiandrogen) it reduced it to a 5 and then I added Spiro a few months later and it reduced down to a 2. Yet, that still wasn't good enough. I still had a breakout cycle, still had facial and body acne, still had mild hirsutism! I also had high levels of DHEA 1440 at 17 (no meds)and 1226 at 20 (with the Spiro + BC), whereas a females normal level is under 1000. So those are levels I'm very interested in seeing now.

The closest thing I have are a home saliva test (Body Balance) after I had switched my diet (age 22), but was still on 150mg of Spiro, and my progesterone (androgenic) & testosterone levels were still off the charts high. On the other hand, my always within range cholesterol levels, were even better in some areas. My triglycerides & LDL (bad stuff) were below range, and at the time I was on my new diet, consuming slightly like atkins, taking omega 3s, plus Avandia and Spiro! Despite those odd conflicts, I got great results, and it eliminated my menstrual cramps! Oh and in case you're wondering, both FT and DHEA can be converted in the hair follicles and in the sebaceous glands into DHT to produce hair (or decrease hair), oil, and acne so those are the levels you want to work on controlling.

My skin looks better now than it did on those drugs or when I was taking Spiro and Avandia (insulin sensitizer). I did do a liver flush prior to changing my diet so I don't know if that helped or not, but I know how my skin was after I changed my diet. I know how my skin is when I don't eat a ton of fried foods (tiny pores, very little oil). I know what its like when I consume sugar, dairy, gluten, etc...(cystic) acne. Not everything I avoid can I connect to insulin or hormones, somethings I think I'm just intolerant to and that's something more liver flushes are supposed to improve (the allergies and intolerances). Yet, the people that I'm aware of that do the flushes, still avoid most grain products, some also avoid non-organic meats (if they eat meat), and tend to eat plenty of vegetables. So you definately may want to increase your fiber, it's suggested that we need 25g and most people average half that.

Best of luck
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#12 AcneFreeProduct

AcneFreeProduct

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:06 PM

A MONTH??? I have news for you. If you stay on the diet for at least half a year, you will see results. A Month won't clear acne that fast. You need to be patient and let time heals. I gurrantee your results.

#13 2ShyGuy2

2ShyGuy2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:18 PM

Why wouldnt a month be long enough? If food is actually a factor (which i think it is), then a month on the correct diet should be plenty long. The food that you eat today is digested and processed throughout the body to be used for the next few hours to several days. After that, new food is introduced and the same thing happens. So, if the effects of food don't last past, say a week, how would a month not be long enough?

2SG