Photo

I break out really bad the week before my period?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 nmr

nmr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Sometimes its TERRIBLE - like I can feel the entire texture of my skin change, it becomes red, inflammed, lots of acne pops out of nowhere...other times its just bad. Then the week after, it starts to go into recovery mode where it starts to settle down.

What can I do about this? It is predictable everytime and I don't know what exactly (beyond "hormonal imbalance") is causing it and how to combat it. Is there anything I can take the week before to suppress this reaction?

#2 Glass Danse

Glass Danse

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

I've heard birth control pills can help with this.

#3 nmr

nmr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

Yeah I know, but I was looking for more of an herbal/holistic approach:) I don't want to deal w side effects of birth control and thats not a long term solution for me...just wondering if there are any alternatives?

#4 Namaste

Namaste

Don't Overlook Simplicity & Patience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

you could try saw palmetto. it balances hormones and eases inflammation.

#5 Murmur

Murmur

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Read my posts about hormone balancing and paleo diets. I used to have the same problem. I'm PMSing like crazy right now and I only have two small zits, clear and smooth otherwise. Before I would have like five huge zits, plus really crappy skin texture, inflammation, etc.

#6 c.m.

c.m.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Try hydrogen peroxide. I get a stronger type at a beauty supply store, it is used as a developer for hair color, read the ingredients and make sure it only has water, peroxide (some have a bit of glycerin which is ok) the regular from a drug store is 3% I get one that is marked 30, I don't think it is 30%, but it is much stronget that the typical, I dip a q tip into it and just dab it on the red marks and pimpls at night it helps to 'bleach' the skin and fade the marks.

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

First, follow blood sugar stabilizing diet habits filled with lots of real, whole nutrient dense foods, especially lots of sulfur containing veggies like cabbage, broccoli, kale, onions, garlic, etc. These are good for your liver which plays an important role in managing hormones.

And sleep well and manage stress which affect hormones directly and improve adrenal health which also plays a big role in managing hormones. And affects thyroid function which also plays a big role in managing hormones.

And lose body fat if needed as body fat plays an important role in hormones.

After that, there are various supplements that help with hormones by affect androgens, estrogen or progesterone, but it's very difficult to know what your particular imbalance is and anything you do to mess with them can make things better or worse.

You can try avoiding soy (which you should for many reasons) and flax seed as they are estrogenic and make many people worse.

More info on all of the above: http://www.acne.org/...e...t&p=2574328

Do you have other menstrual problems like severe cramping, irregularity, etc. That, in my observations from other discussions here, tends to be due to estrogen dominance which is about the ratio of estrogen to progesterone.

#8 jolina

jolina

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

This is interesting because since around September, I started breaking out a week before my period starts and it's always around my mouth/chin of the cystic variety. I've been on Yasmin for the last few years (Tri-cyclen and Diane years before, so probably 10 years cumulatively on birth control) and it's always helped to keep my acne under control until now. I thought it was my diet so I tried incorporating more veggies and vitamin A into my diet and thought it was working but nothing's changed. Now, I find that I'm breaking out earlier in my cycle and not necessarily just the week before my period and not always around my mouth.

So now I feel like I don't know what to do next. I'm contemplating just stopping the pill but I'm afraid of the effects I've read and heard about going off the pill. My wedding is in 6 months so I really don't want to worry having to cover it all up and feeling miserable about it.

Edited by jolina, 15 March 2012 - 08:48 PM.