21 replies to this topic

#1 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

I'm on Klaron but only the generic versions because they cost cheaper. This time my pharmacy gave me a CLEANSER not a lotion. It's Actavia 10% Sodium Sulfacedemite + 5% Sulfur.

Did I waste my money by getting the cleanser instead of a lotion? What is the % rate that cleansers actually work just like lotions do? I feel like the cleanser won't do anything for me while lotion stays on your face for a full day.

It was so frustrating that my pharmacy could not find a manufacturer this time that makes a generic Klaron replacement lotion with 10% sulfacedemite + 5% Sulfur.

#2 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:36 PM

I'm using a generic for Klaron that doesn't have the 5% sulfur and it has literally changed my skin. I've been using it twice a day for six weeks and I could tell a huge difference after only a few days. I don't know how the cleanser works, but have you thought about the lotion that is just 10% sodium sulfacetamide? It's good stuff if your derm is okay with you using it.

#3 obeguy

obeguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

The combo works great.....The generic is cheap...the lotion is the way to go...
Even better to use with retin a at night

#4 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (zen.garden @ Jan 17 2009, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using a generic for Klaron that doesn't have the 5% sulfur and it has literally changed my skin. I've been using it twice a day for six weeks and I could tell a huge difference after only a few days. I don't know how the cleanser works, but have you thought about the lotion that is just 10% sodium sulfacetamide? It's good stuff if your derm is okay with you using it.

I have been using both the 10% alone and the one that has 5% sulfur as well. I think the Klaron in general is the best thing out there because you're acne does not build resistance to it as apposed to antibiotic based products.

I just wanted a lotion with 5% sulfur because it was wonderful and worked super fast at shrinking pores before. If this cleanser will not do anything, I will go back to using the 10% sodium sulfacedemited lotion alone. I'm just surprised that it's hard to find a lotion with this combination these days.

P.S. I really hope this cleanser is useful cause I'm scared my acne will start coming back. lol $50 bucks wasn't bad compared to lotions but still.

#5 harperB

harperB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

The company that makes sulfacet-r and Klaron went out of business!!! My dr. prescribed it to me a few days ago and when I went to get it they said they had discontinued the products:( I know that sulfacet worked really well for me, does anyone know of an alternative to it? I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I'm in Canada but they aren't supplying them anymore:(

#6 Tom333

Tom333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

I was just prescribed this today. I'm hearing great things. Anyways, should I just simply apply a thin layer or rub it in?

#7 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (harperB @ Feb 12 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The company that makes sulfacet-r and Klaron went out of business!!! My dr. prescribed it to me a few days ago and when I went to get it they said they had discontinued the products:( I know that sulfacet worked really well for me, does anyone know of an alternative to it? I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I'm in Canada but they aren't supplying them anymore:(

What is the company's name that makes Klaron and are you 100% sure that they went out of business? I used Sulfacet-R and Klaron and both work like magic on me. This time my pharm had a hard time finding Sulfacet-R but Klaron was still available. (I'm in NYC) Do you know about Novacet it is just like Sulfacet-R, maybe you can find that?...

I'll really panic if Klaron and Sulfacet-R is not made anymore in U.S. because nothing works like these products. Sulfacetamide and BP are probably the only ingredients that P Acne can't build resistance to over time, unlike other topical lotions which use antibiotics.

Last time I spoke to my derm who is an older guy told me that younger dermatologists do not even know about Sulfacetamide based acne products and don't prescribe them because they don't teach them in med schools about this stuff which is considered "outdated" by "modern" acne products. I don't know why Klaron type products would be considered outdated when it really works!!!!

#8 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Tom333 @ Feb 13 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just prescribed this today. I'm hearing great things. Anyways, should I just simply apply a thin layer or rub it in?

Don't rub it on hard just apply a thin layer. I apply it like I would a lotion in circular type motion very gently. Klaron is like water very liquidy so don't pour too much on you finger right away cause it runs.

#9 toHelenaHandbasket

toHelenaHandbasket

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (clandestine_guy @ Feb 14 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sulfacetamide and BP are probably the only ingredients that P Acne can't build resistance to over time, unlike other topical lotions which use antibiotics.

Hi, clandestine_guy -

Can you provide any links that say that acne can't build a resistance to sulfacetamide? (Is it okay to post external links around here? I seem to recall there was a rule where the Acne.org gods would pwn you for posting external links, but I've been seeing external links around here lately, or maybe I just misunderstood the rules.)

Sulfacetamide is an antibiotic, isn't it? I did really well on sulfacetamide for over a year, but I stopped using it months back because I was afraid of developing a resistance to it, even though I was still doing really well on it. I didn't want to wait until I had some monster breakout of mutant acne due to bacterial resistance.

I switched to BP according to the Acne.org regimen, but I am quitting it because not only have I started breaking out in big cysts again, but my face has also aged an incredible amount over the past few months, and I can't handle that. I started back on sulfacetamide today.

#10 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (toHelenaHandbasket @ Feb 19 2009, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, clandestine_guy -

Can you provide any links that say that acne can't build a resistance to sulfacetamide? (Is it okay to post external links around here? I seem to recall there was a rule where the Acne.org gods would pwn you for posting external links, but I've been seeing external links around here lately, or maybe I just misunderstood the rules.)

Sulfacetamide is an antibiotic, isn't it? I did really well on sulfacetamide for over a year, but I stopped using it months back because I was afraid of developing a resistance to it, even though I was still doing really well on it.

No, Sulfacetamide is not any form of antibiotics. It attacks/fights PABA component needed for bacteria to grow.( but I'n not sure on this technicality) My pharm and doc both told me that there is no evidence in studies that P acne bacteria builds resistance to it at all, but other strains of bacteria may--not acne related bacteria.

Before antibiotics, sulfa based products were primary agents used to fight bacterias. After antibiotics became popular and advanced, sulfa lost its significance in the medical world, because antibiotics are stronger and fight bacterial infections much faster.

Now, sulfa is slowly gaining its respect because of the growing concern in medical world of resistance to antibiotics due to wide use.

I have so far used 3 4oz bottles of Klaron in my treatments in almost 2 years and I have no resistance. My acne flares up only after I get lazy and complacent and start skip applying Klaron twice a day as told by instructions or even worse when I stopped using it for months thinking my acne went away.

Do some basic google key word searches on it and you will find info on Sulfacetamide and resistance to P acne info.
example http://www.medscape....rticle/460620_2

#11 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (toHelenaHandbasket @ Feb 19 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... (Is it okay to post external links around here? I seem to recall there was a rule where the Acne.org gods would pwn you for posting external links, but I've been seeing external links around here lately, or maybe I just misunderstood the rules.)...

Not in your signature, that is most definitely in the rules; your signature violated the board rules, you were told so and got rude about it. No outside links in the signature. It is okay to link to something when you have a question about it (a product, a website) but anything that looks like advertising or promoting something will be deleted/edited out.

#12 toHelenaHandbasket

toHelenaHandbasket

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

If I was just "told so," then that would have been the end of it, but I wasn't just "told so." Not only did you delete the link from my signature - you also inserted a bit of commentary into my signature, and I had a bit of commentary of my own about your commentary. Call me "rude" for that if you like. I disagree that I was rude; at most, I'd say I was sarcastic, but that's just me. I do appreciate that the board has rules, but that link was in my signature for a couple *years*, and I didn't know anything about it being against the rules before you took issue with it, which I just thought was kind of funny. There were outside links in many signatures on these boards once upon a time, not necessarily acne-related. I haven't exactly been a huge frequenter since a few years ago, so when the memo went out announcing the outlawing of outside links in signatures, I guess I just missed it. There's an arbitrariness to the premise that any link that looks like promoting something calls for getting deleted, and I suppose that's why I'm still unclear on the board's policy on external links. There have been a few or a couple times where I saw that an external link had been deleted from somebody's post, and I found that somewhat confusing relative to external links that I saw were being allowed in other posts, but it's really no big deal to me - I don't care that much.

QUOTE (Wynne @ May 4 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (toHelenaHandbasket @ Feb 19 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... (Is it okay to post external links around here? I seem to recall there was a rule where the Acne.org gods would pwn you for posting external links, but I've been seeing external links around here lately, or maybe I just misunderstood the rules.)...

Not in your signature, that is most definitely in the rules; your signature violated the board rules, you were told so and got rude about it. No outside links in the signature. It is okay to link to something when you have a question about it (a product, a website) but anything that looks like advertising or promoting something will be deleted/edited out.

#13 damnblondy

damnblondy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

I used Klaron a few yrs ago combined with tetracycline and I remember it working great!! I started breaking out recently on my chin after two weeks on an anti-biotic for a staph infection, so am thinking about trying Klaron again. Geez I really hope its not discontinued, I am starting to think Sulfur based products are the way to go!!

p.s. Since I started using BP on my chin, I have been developing cyst like zits which I never had before, could it be the BP causing these??? Anyone else had this experience with that???

#14 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Klaron is still being made - I just filled a prescription for the generic yesterday.

#15 AOEE

AOEE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

Just got prescribed Klaron today, not surprisingly by an old-school derm. I think it's only for mild acne (post-Accutane). I can't wait to try it, but there seems to not be a lot of info/posts on it, just because it's old?

#16 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

My acne was definitely NOT mild when I started using Klaron - I bet you'll be really pleased with the results. I think there isn't much info because so many derms want to use retinoids and BP products for topicals. I'm sensitive to BP, though, and retinoids have never worked for me, so sulfur is pretty much the only thing left.

Let us know what you think of it!

#17 lin402

lin402

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

I also recently started using Klaron lotion once a day. Im using Klaron at night and Cleocin in the morning. Ive been on this for about 2 weeks. During the first few days the initial acne starting drying up fast. But now im still continuing to get atleast one new pimple a day. How long before I see results? Im not sure if I should continue using it or just stop.

#18 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (lin402 @ Jan 9 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also recently started using Klaron lotion once a day. Im using Klaron at night and Cleocin in the morning. Ive been on this for about 2 weeks. During the first few days the initial acne starting drying up fast. But now im still continuing to get atleast one new pimple a day. How long before I see results? Im not sure if I should continue using it or just stop.

Did your dermatologist promise you a magical solution in 2-3 weeks, or are you expecting a quick fix yourself? Klaron has to be applied 2 times a day morning and night to work well. Everyone is different but full results should be in about 3 months. No medication will stop ALL zits, but if it is clearing you up after 2 weeks already, then you must be patient and give it time to see more results.

When your acne does clear up, don't be surprised if you will start getting flareups over time when you stop using any prescription or OTC products. You basically will need to continue using some products for preventative measure until you outgrow your acne.

#19 clandestine_guy

clandestine_guy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (zen.garden @ Jun 6 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Klaron is still being made - I just filled a prescription for the generic yesterday.
Yes, Klaron (sulfacetemide) s.p.?? is still produced in brand and generic versions. Only products like Rasula, Sulfacet R are very hard to find and the company that was making them went out of business (or so I've heard). Rasula and Sulfacet R combined both sulfur with sulfacitemide in various percentages. Klaron does not have sulfur in it, only sulfacetemide.

#20 aLeX XeLa

aLeX XeLa

"Somedays, you just can't get rid of a bomb"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

Are these products available in the uk - on prescription?
If so I would be most greatful if you could tell me the brand names of them.
I did recently go to my GP for the clenia face wash (10% sulfacetemide 5% sulfur), but she didnt seem to know what it was - and didnt even attempt after me asking her to see what sulfacetemide and sulfur products they could offer which i thought was rude.
So going to rebook an appointment with another doc later this week, so would be real helpful if you tell me some of the names these products come under in the uk....if you can.

Thanks in advance

Edited by aLeXeLa, 02 February 2010 - 04:15 PM.