Photo

What is the best derma-roller type device out there?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Anyone have an idea of which derma-roller type device is the best one out on the market? Which ones are reputable?

I have some depressed chicken pox scars on my face i wanna diminish. The worst ones are a couple on the side of my chin below the lower lip. And any clue as to which mm size ones i should use?

#2 thelegend

thelegend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

I would recommend the Dr. Roller 3 line 2.0mm roller

http://cgi.ebay.com/...6|39:1|240:1318

Misery...set us free
www.myspace.com/peytonthelegend

#3 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

Dr. Roller is high quality but expensive compared to some that are available.

I purchased and used a generic type model of eBay ( cheap price ) 0.5 in size and found it to be exceptable. I have no idea at this point if the needles will retain their edge ect. or if the unit hold up in general but for someone who would like to try dermarolling, at a reduced price to see if it's for them, I would recommend picking one up.

As a side note, after my first use with the Dr. Roller 3 line 1.5mm. I thought I would like to give a standard size 1.5mm roller a shot. So I recently purchased a generic standard size 1.5mm to give it a go. It just arrived yesterday, so I will using it in the next couple of days.

#4 ouioui

ouioui

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

i havent tried this myself so i cant vouch for its effectiveness but i dont know what you guys think this is really gonna do for you. medical grade rolling or dry needling by a professional, also known as CIT is the only way youre gonna get a puncture deep enough or numerous times enough to be effective on scarring. and from the photos your scarring looks pretty darn superficial. i have had dry needling professionally done many times and the results havent been much to speak of. i would like to get professional CIT with a roller but dont know anyone in the USA who does it. i think youre gonna find out this ebay roller isnt going to do much for your scarring

#5 thelegend

thelegend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

what makes a "professional" better than you at rolling your skin?
Misery...set us free
www.myspace.com/peytonthelegend

#6 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (thelegend @ Jan 17 2009, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what makes a "professional" better than you at rolling your skin?

exactly legend! When it comes to the needle piercing ability of these rollers I'm sure they are pretty much on par to one another, barring anything so poorly made the quality difference stands out.

I'll give a link to a thorough write up in regards to dermarollers. I can say the unit pictured in the link is of almost of the same appearance of the so called generic ( the term I use) rollers I have bought from eBay.

Also, many of these generic rollers on eBay selling for about $30 US dollars delivered today , were being sold for $300 or more, less than 1 year ago.

I know you have the 0.75 roller from ClearSkinCare. This unit is listed as "autoclavable". I would guess and pretty much be confident that this unit that sells for approx. $50 US is of called medical quality.

Here's that link, http://www.dermaroll...ller_series.htm

#7 munsoned

munsoned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (ouioui @ Jan 17 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i havent tried this myself so i cant vouch for its effectiveness but i dont know what you guys think this is really gonna do for you. medical grade rolling or dry needling by a professional, also known as CIT is the only way youre gonna get a puncture deep enough or numerous times enough to be affective on scarring. and from the photos your scarring looks pretty darn superficial. i have had dry needling professionally done many times and the results havent been much to speak of. i would like to get professional CIT with a roller but dont know anyone in the USA who does it. i think youre gonna find out this ebay roller isnt going to do much for your scarring

kind of hard to knock it unless you have tried it..most on here are using a combination therapy approach.. not just one thing or another but a whole array of things to increase effectiveness..

#8 munsoned

munsoned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

medical grade rolling or dry needling by a professional, also known as CIT is the only way youre gonna get a puncture deep enough or numerous times enough to be affective on scarring

its possible that a dr could roll our skin better then we can. but to say its not effective unless a dr. does it is a statement that holds no water... I would say that it depends on the dr. and it depends on the individual rolling themselves. some may roll there skin better then a dr.. and others may not..several factors are involved...its never that cut and dry..

#9 ouioui

ouioui

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

i didnt post this to argue. i never said needling was ineffective unless a dr does it. theres a guy here who self needled and filled all his scars in over a two year period. he did not use these weenie rollers. but i hope what youre doing works out and we can all be cured.

the difference between a doctor perfoming it and you doing it is the quality of the roller and the length and durability of the needles. just like the tca you can buy anywhere for CROSS is hooch and known to cause cancer. theres a big difference in that and medical grade tca which ive had done at a doctors office. you cant just get it yourself at walgreens. the depth of penetration is very important with any acne scar treatment and those epidermal rollers dont go down deep enough and will do squat for scarring that is in the mid dermis or below. to the guy doing this thread, i checked out your progress and youre doing this way too often to begin with. anything thats gonna give you improvement would never be amenable to a treatment every few days. a professional grade roller, or needler, would tell you that you should be waiting weeks or months to let collagen build up after needling, otherwise you will destroy what youre trying to build. i really do not expect much improvement from the type of roller you and the other guys here are using or buying off ebay. that said i do hope you see vast and incredible improvements and will share that with everyone here.

im not trying to burst bubbles, i am severely scarred and have been going hardcore at various treatments for 5 years. though i havent investigated everything there is such as isolagen, fat transfer, grafts, fillers, silicon micro droplet, etc, i basically know whats out there and what could be done for scarring and what each procedure will do or supposedly do. the CIT im talking about with a roller requires your skin to be numb because it is painful. ive had cit with a dry needle and it isnt as painful as being rolled everywhere as it targets individual scars. self needling your scars with diabetic lancets will probably pierce deeper than anything you can buy on ebay to roll yourselves with.

what youre doing is superficial rolling and it may increase the effectiveness of topicals by getting them to sink into the skin better. it may help with superficial flaws in your skin and it cant "hurt" but i am highly skeptical that the rollers you are speaking of and using will do anything for deep and severe acne scarring.

#10 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (ouioui @ Jan 17 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i didnt post this to argue. i never said needling was ineffective unless a dr does it. theres a guy here who self needled and filled all his scars in over a two year period. he did not use these weenie rollers. but i hope what youre doing works out and we can all be cured.

the difference between a doctor perfoming it and you doing it is the quality of the roller and the length and durability of the needles. just like the tca you can buy anywhere for CROSS is hooch and known to cause cancer. theres a big difference in that and medical grade tca which ive had done at a doctors office. you cant just get it yourself at walgreens. the depth of penetration is very important with any acne scar treatment and those epidermal rollers dont go down deep enough and will do squat for scarring that is in the mid dermis or below. to the guy doing this thread, you have a photgraph of yourself and your skin looks damn near perfect to me, so maybe you will be happy with your rolling results

i am severely scarred and the CIT im talking about with a roller requires your skin to be numb because it is painful. ive had cit with a dry needle and it isnt as painful as being rolled everywhere as it targets individual scars. self needling your scars with diabetic lancets will probably pierce deeper than anything you can buy on ebay to roll yourselves with.

what youre doing is superficial rolling and it may increase the effectiveness of topicals by getting them to sink into the skin better. it may help with superficial flaws in your skin and it cant "hurt" but i am highly skeptical that the rollers you are speaking of and using will do anything for deep and severe acne scarring.

Ok buddy, you are out of control with your assumptions and logic. You keep throwing around the acronym "CIT" as if it holds this supreme meaning and advancement.

Most of us here who dermaroll are performing "CIT" collagen induction therapy". This isn't rocket science. Try checking out the link I provided.

You state matter of factly that, " the difference between a doctor perfoming it and you doing it is the quality of the roller and the length and durability of the needles" . I happen use both 0.5 and 1.5 mm needle length. What exact length was the roller your doctor used on you and what EXACT roller was used on you? I don't consider 1.5mm "superficial. There are many here using needles with depths larger then this. ..."Superficial" you say?

Anyone with a casual understanding of dermarolling understands that the needle length used is usually dependent on the severity and depth of the scarring. You mentioned that you have severe scarring, hence a longer needle would probably have been used on you. I'm sure a person trying to remove scarred pores alone, wouldn't be using such depths.

Also, understand there are many who claim longer depth needles aren't needed and that anyone can get by with say a 0.5-0.75mm roller. I don't buy this at all but there are those that say it.

Do us a favor and post the exact roller your doctor used on you ( including name and model number). If you don't have it at the top of your head, I understand. You can easily contact your doctor for this information.

Please post ASAP as many of us would be VERY interested.

P.S. Show me something ( studies, links, ...anything) to suggest that the dermarollers we are using are not of the "quality" needed to achieve results.

Thanks

#11 ouioui

ouioui

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (just another1 @ Jan 18 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ouioui @ Jan 17 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the difference between a doctor perfoming it and you doing it is the quality of the roller and the length and durability of the needles. just like the tca you can buy anywhere for CROSS is hooch and known to cause cancer. theres a big difference in that and medical grade tca which ive had done at a doctors office. you cant just get it yourself at walgreens. the depth of penetration is very important with any acne scar treatment and those epidermal rollers dont go down deep enough and will do squat for scarring that is in the mid dermis or below. to the guy doing this thread, you have a photgraph of yourself and your skin looks damn near perfect to me, so maybe you will be happy with your rolling results

i am severely scarred and the CIT im talking about with a roller requires your skin to be numb because it is painful. ive had cit with a dry needle and it isnt as painful as being rolled everywhere as it targets individual scars. self needling your scars with diabetic lancets will probably pierce deeper than anything you can buy on ebay to roll yourselves with.

Ok buddy, you are out of control with your assumptions and logic. You keep throwing around the acronym "CIT" as if it holds this supreme meaning and advancement.

Most of us here who dermaroll are performing "CIT" collagen induction therapy". This isn't rocket science. Try checking out the link I provided.

You state matter of factly that, " the difference between a doctor perfoming it and you doing it is the quality of the roller and the length and durability of the needles" . I happen use both 0.5 and 1.5 mm needle length. What exact length was the roller your doctor used on you and what EXACT roller was used on you? I don't consider 1.5mm "superficial. There are many here using needles with depths larger then this. ..."Superficial" you say?

Anyone with a casual understanding of dermarolling understands that the needle length used is usually dependent on the severity and depth of the scarring. You mentioned that you have severe scarring, hence a longer needle would probably have been used on you. I'm sure a person trying to remove scarred pores alone, wouldn't be using such depths.

Also, understand there are many who claim longer depth needles aren't needed and that anyone can get by with say a 0.5-0.75mm roller. I don't buy this at all but there are those that say it.

Do us a favor and post the exact roller your doctor used on you ( including name and model number). If you don't have it at the top of your head, I understand. You can easily contact your doctor for this information.

Please post ASAP as many of us would be VERY interested.

P.S. Show me something ( studies, links, ...anything) to suggest that the dermarollers we are using are not of the "quality" needed to achieve results.

Thanks

these arent assumptions im making and the only one out of control is you because youre a hard head and a know-it-all and you dont want to listen to anything but your own logic. you obviously are an expert so you dont need my input so why are you bothering to challenge me?

if you read my post youll see i didnt have medical grade "rolling" at a doctors office because i havent found one damn dr who recognizes it in the USA as effective for scarring or has even heard of it. that doesnt mean it doesnt work, it just means in the USA you are hard pressed to find someone who does it. i had professional needling done by susan church in newport beach california and it is dry needling with an electric needle focusing on individual scars, it is not a roller. CIT is what its called regardless of the needle and i never said it was rocket science but if you have severe scarring including icepicks and you get great results with the junk youre using off ebay, i think it would be incumbent on you mister helper to let us all know that youve found the miracle cure for scars and it costs 30 bucks on ebay. if youve got scarred pores then great, use the superficial and short needles and best of luck, and dont worry about the length of needles other people need for their scars. if i thought for one second that i could buy a roller off ebay and get major improvements in any of my scars, i would do that. you all havent been doing this long enough yet or dont know what youre talking about yet to show me the evidence of worthwhile improvements with these cheap consumer grade rollers. im not going to go dig up information all over the internet which you could get yourself to explain this to you. i have been using these boards since 2005 and ive read countless posts on needling, professional, the rollers your are using, and self needling. if you look hard enough here youll find plenty of info that will show you the difference. regardless of that, as ive said, i dont care how long the needles are, the difference is in what you can get yourself and what a professional has access to. but if you insist that this is all you need, then show us all your improvements when they happen

#12 munsoned

munsoned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

medical grade rolling or dry needling by a professional, also known as CIT is the only way youre gonna get a puncture deep enough or numerous times enough to be affective on scarring

i didnt post this to argue. i never said needling was ineffective unless a dr does it. theres a guy here who self needled and filled all his scars in over a two year period. he did not use these weenie rollers. but i hope what youre doing works out and we can all be cured

those are both direct quotes from you..

If you dont believe rollers are effective then dont use them..its pretty simple..I posted above we are all using a combination treatment.. not you or any other who has knocked the roller has realized that what we are doing is not just rolling..its only a piece of the puzzle..and nobody who has knocked this treatment has tried it so we..the people doing this treatment have no reasons to be concerned with what you are saying..If all I was doing was rolling than thats one thing..but since rolling is only a piece of the puzzle then only time will tell what will become of it all. why come on here and try and put a negative spin on this program?? the few who have done it long term have had promising results..

so the bottom line is..the treatment you have knocked, and the treatment we are all doing are two different things..

i am not using lancets....I am using pen needles..exact same needles you find on a weenie ebay roller except longer so you can penetrate deeper into a scar..followed by rolling..proper topicals, diet, vitamins ect....so if the rollers dont do anything for deep scars they dont have too really. the needling treats the deep scars..then roll on top of that..in time the needling of the deep scars will make the deep scars shallower..then the rolling can begin to effect those scars more effectivly..

#13 jksl

jksl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

Would it be okay to use the roller only on the scarred areas? I mean, if i were to only use them on isolated spots, would i be making my skin uneven?

Also, is 2.0 mm safe to use on the neck?

Thanks for the reply guys.

#14 munsoned

munsoned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (jksl @ Jan 18 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would it be okay to use the roller only on the scarred areas? I mean, if i were to only use them on isolated spots, would i be making my skin uneven?

Also, is 2.0 mm safe to use on the neck?

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have not used a 2mm at all..and have not used any roller on my nexk so I'll leave that to somebody who has..

I only roll in the area I have scars on my forehead..it wont create any uneveness in your skin..

#15 pao1

pao1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hi to All.

Question to everybody.
Is it safe to use a 2mm derma roller in the face and in the forehead?

#16 meme

meme

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

Hi all

Could someone tell me what's the difference between the normal dr roller with the new 3 line ?
Which is better cos I'm considering of getting it. surprised.gif

-- you're a HeArTbReAkEr --

Posted Image

#17 pinkie

pinkie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

I really need to get this. I like the science behind it.

I have various scars mostly rolled scars on my cheeks?

Which is the best mm dermaroller i should get??

Any advice?

I do not want to waste money on the smallest mm rollers and eventually realise that there are not much effects.

thanks

#18 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (pinkie @ Feb 22 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any advice?

I do not want to waste money on the smallest mm rollers and eventually realise that there are not much effects.

thanks

Pinkie, going by way you described your scarring, the 1.5mm would probably be a good roller for you to start with. In time you can always go ahead and order a 2.0mm down the road if you feel you need it.

Good Luck

#19 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (meme @ Jan 29 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all

Could someone tell me what's the difference between the normal dr roller with the new 3 line ?
Which is better cos I'm considering of getting it. surprised.gif

The 3 line is much narrower than the standard size roller. Some have said they can use 3 mine easier.

I have both/used both and personally I find the standard size roller more effective at cover more surface and I do get even penetration. The 3 line for me rocks back and forth too much and just doesn't cover as much area with each roll. This increases the time to complete one session. When using it with deeper needles ( 1.5mm, 2.0mm ect) and numbing cream, the numbing cream loses it's sensation making the rolling process more painful .

I hope I explained that clear enough.

Good Luck

#20 munsoned

munsoned

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (pinkie @ Feb 22 2009, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any advice?

thanks

make sure you get everything you need..its not just about rolling..maybe you know this but I'll post some things you need incase..I dont wanna see you go into this without knowing the deal.

rubbing alcohol.
topicals to help rebuild fresh collagen.
1.l5mm roller as JA1 stated.
you can look into led light therapy along with rolling
needling with diabetic needles along with rolling
vitamins

theres several threads on derma rolling on this forum you can read thru to learn.. search (derma rolling) if you have questions just ask them..good luck. smile.gif