Photo

How bad is the initial breakout from accutane?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 NostraHistoria

NostraHistoria

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

After reading lots of posts by people in their accutane logs, it seems that the word breakout is being used differently by each person. Could someone please tell me how bad this initial breakout is? Is the breakout all over your face, back, and chest? Is it a breakout that lasts several weeks or does it all come out over a few days and then just leave scars that just make it look bad? I was on prednisone before, and from that I REALLY, REALLY broke out monstrously. I do not have pics, but the amount of acne I got from that was the most I probably ever had in my life. I do not think that anyone is getting that kind of a breakout from accutane, but it is hard to judge by these posts.

Can someone please define a (1) breakout and an (2) initial breakout? Are they big nodules or smaller pimples?

I would really appreciate your responses, because the initial breakout and worsening acne in the beginning are the two things that are scaring me a lot. I am in grad school and I need to change my medication because it might be interfering with my ulcerative colitis/crohn's disease.

If you are wondering about me, I have had severe acne since 12 or so. I am 26. I am on tetracycline and when I use it with erythromycin, along with a diet without sugar, I usually do not get any acne. I have told 2 dermatoligists that sugar gives me acne, and both say that food has no effect. I do not agree. Whenever I have anything above 1 gram of sugar, I usually get acne.

#2 ToanWLOHA

ToanWLOHA

Lydia - fools and luxury

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

some people dont break out at all but i am around day 12 or so and to be honest the IB is fucking horrible like this is the worst i seen my face ever. with that said- you just got to keep your head up because this shit will get better.
Month 1: Sotret - 60 mg - Started 12/17/2008
Month 2: Claravis - 60 mg
Month 3: Claravis - 60 mg
Month 4: Claravis - 60 mg
Month 5: Claravis - 60 mg - Finished 6/9/2009

My Accutane Log

#3 NostraHistoria

NostraHistoria

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

How bad did you have it before accutane? A dermatologist told me that for 2 weeks you get a breakout, and then after 1.5 months, it gets better.

#4 IntruderII2

IntruderII2

Awesome Member

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:20 PM

It definitely varies from person to person. My initial breakout started around day 10 and lasted about a week. It consisted of a lot (10+) of pimples around my chin/mouth area.

#5 paper mario

paper mario

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

I had a bunch of pimpes around my chin and mouth. It started around the 10th day.. I'd look in the mirror, go watch tv for half an hour, and notice more forming. It was pretty damn bad.

They were small, though. None of them left scars, and now my chin is completely clear. After that I had a bad week or so on my forehead.

Todays my 59th day, I finally seem to be seeing good results.

Current Regimen

Morning and Night: Cetaphil gentle cleanser, cetpaphil moisturizer

#6 focal eccentric

focal eccentric

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

my IB started at the beginning of week 3 and lasted for about a week and a half. i used paula's BHA about three weeks before i started accutane and got an IB with that as well. im pretty sure that splitting up the process made the accutane IB less intense.

i just finished my 29th pill today. thinks are looking up. still breaking out though.
the log (started 12/01/08): Sotret!

Month 1: 20mg (Sotret)
Month 2: 40mg (Sotret)
Month 3: 80mg (Sotret)
Month 4: 120mg (Sotret)
Month 5: 120mg (Claravis)
Month 6: 120mg (Claravis)
Month 7: 120mg (Claravis)
Month 8: 120mg (Claravis)

#7 NostraHistoria

NostraHistoria

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:48 AM

When you say breakout, do you mean breaking out all over or just in one specific spot?

#8 Pullyourtangles

Pullyourtangles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

I broke out really bad around my chin with huge cysts that I never had before. They were painful. This was about week 3, and only lasted a week or so

#9 NostraHistoria

NostraHistoria

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Pullyourtangles @ Dec 29 2008, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I broke out really bad around my chin with huge cysts that I never had before. They were painful. This was about week 3, and only lasted a week or so

Did you get more breakouts later on too?

#10 *acne*be*gone*

*acne*be*gone*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:55 AM

I also want to know how bad the initial breakout is and how long it goes on for....... I'll be starting accutane very soon!

My derm said that the acne will get alot worse within the first 8 weeks and then things will improve from there.

I'm very nervous/excited about starting!!

Rose

#11 shar26

shar26

Failure is success in progress.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

I'm on my second round of accutane and i'm 14 days in on 60 MG, the first time i used accutane the intial breakout was a few large cysts. Andd this time it has been utterly horrendous lol sad.gif i started drying out (alot) on about day 4-5 and by day 8 i was majorly breaking out, unlike anything i've ever had and i've been quite bad in the past. And its lasted a good 5 days on the really serious side but this morning i seem to of woken up with it looking slightly better and so i'm hoping its going to start clearing a bit now. It has been terrible lately though with the breakout, really didnt expect it this bad. Luckily i'm on my winter holiday though so i've not had to go out or anything so fingers crossed over the next week things will improve. Butt initial breakouts when on accutane do seem to be quite bad, they have been both times i've been on accutane now. Just have to put up with it though, i've seen what this drug can do smile.gif just have to go through the stage of being worse for a while then its all up hill biggrin.gif

Regime:

Morning
Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Cleansing Foam Wash
Boots Shine Control Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Day Moisturizer
Topical Savlon

Evening
Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Night Treatment gel
Topical Savlon

#12 NostraHistoria

NostraHistoria

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

How long did they last?

#13 shar26

shar26

Failure is success in progress.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Think my first break out from the first round of accutane was 1-2 weeks, i think it varies from person to person and depends what strength of accutane your on.

I'm currently in the middle of my break out from the second round of accutane so i will have to keep u posted, i think the worst is now finally over for me, hopefully and so it will probs be between 1-2 weeks again. I'm on 60MG.

Regime:

Morning
Topical Savlon

Evening
Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Night Treatment gel
Topical Savlon

#14 teo

teo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:38 AM

I'm currently experiencing it. It started during week 2 on 70 mg/day. Will keep u posted about how long it lasts.
Acne treatment history:

Clearasil (1999-2003), Proactiv (2003-2005), Dan's Regimen (2005-), minocycline (2006), Septra (2007), doxycycline (2008), Zithromax (2008)...

Accutane (21 december 2008-present)!

#15 RockstarNailbomb

RockstarNailbomb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

I did not have an IB, i started my 20 mg/day accutane course over a month ago and my face started getting better by day 3. All oil production stopped by day 12 and im already almost completely acne free.

#16 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

You are taking Accutane when you already have ulcerative colitis/Crohn's disease? That seems exceedingly unwise to me as Accutane itself is associated with ulcerative colitis and IBS.

Derms should now know better that diet is implicated in acne; internal medicine and endocrinologists and cardiologists and so forth already prescribe diet changes for the diseases and conditions they treat. The skin is the same and requires different diets for different people's individual susceptibilities.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#17 bkm91

bkm91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

I am now on my 12th day of 40mg of Accutane. My skin is now less oily, but hasn't become dry yet. I've noticed that my acne has gotten better. It's less pronounced and less inflamed. I suspect that my face will dry out more and my IB will come soon, though. sad.gif

#18 scarreddiva

scarreddiva

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

I am on day 35 of my 2nd course of roaccutane, my first course being 5 years ago, however my derm has put me on a very low dose this time as the last time i had horrible side effects ie, bad breakouts, nose bleeds, eczema with being on 30mg daily, therefore i am only on 10mg daily this time around.

Surprisingly though the breakout i am expreriencing is hard to bare, my cheeks, jaw and around my mouth is covered in small inflamed pustules, it's heartbreaking beause i only went on this ultra low dose for very mild but persistant zits, and now i feel like an absoloute fool for going back on this drug as i have never seen my skin look so bad for a very,very long time.

Is there anyone else here on 10mg who are having a bad time with breakouts?

#19 ToanWLOHA

ToanWLOHA

Lydia - fools and luxury

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

IB for me started day 5 and Im on day 16 and it seems like I am not getting any more breakouts for the moment (hopefully =) ). breakouts consists of fucking cysts and hella small pimple everywhere atleast for me.
Month 1: Sotret - 60 mg - Started 12/17/2008
Month 2: Claravis - 60 mg
Month 3: Claravis - 60 mg
Month 4: Claravis - 60 mg
Month 5: Claravis - 60 mg - Finished 6/9/2009

My Accutane Log

#20 worn-out from acne

worn-out from acne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

It's pretty bad.
First month = hell, my face was the worst I have ever been
End of First Month = Almost back to being as bad as when I first started (a little worse)
Begining of second Month = starting to clear up
Middle of second Month = another mini break-out
End of Second month = starting to clear again
Third Month = at a stand-still. Not as many new ones, but old ones have decided to stick out for the long haul I guess. Hopefully at the end of this month things will get better.
Everyone is different though. Good luck