Photo

Home-made Kombucha worked for me.

rooibos red tea probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 manchuriken

manchuriken

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

The thing you must first understand about Kombucha as an acne-regime is you must make it at home yourself. The store-bought kombucha is not nearly as potent in it's probiotic content. The more sugar you put in it, the longer you let it ferment, the more enzymes and bacterias it will contain, the stronger it will taste and smell. You can quite literally make bottles of kombucha at home 6 times as potent as the store bought ones, store-bought kombucha is brewed for an accessible taste, it is not brewed for strength. You gotta get the mushroom, the big glass jars and do it at home yourself. It really works. Heres my story and thought process about it.

Had acne all over body for like 6 or more years. Am 23 now, tried everything in the process. I saw an increasing pattern that, harsher chemicals and ointments made it worse. This led me down the path of trying softer, more gentle and natural things, until I got to kombucha, and that finished it.

Now the first thing to understand, and this is from my experience. Acne is an internal problem, it is not external. Creams and soaps are non-essential. The root of the problem is internal. This came to my attention because, whenever I would go camping, being out in the forest and being dirty for a week, just rinsing off in the river, that had no effect on my acne. Now, I did find that using the peroxide creams would improve things at certain points. But the acne would STILL cycle, meaning, the creams were not treating the core issue of the problem, they were just softening the outcome of it on the skin. Now thats not to say, don't wash regularly and don't use a good soap, I'd suggest a natural soap soft on the skin with lots of good extracts in it. But that is not the root of the problem, infections on the skin is not the root of the problem.

I found my acne after MUCH trial and error to be resting upon diet. Cutting out all soda, lowering sugar, eating more fruits, vegetables and rice, lighter foods, it had an effect. But even with that, my acne would still fluctuate, it would still come in cycles. I would be eating really well, things would be doing good, then it would outbreak, making me think that it wasn't just food. Which it wasn't.

What I believe the root problem of acne is, it is caused because the bacterias in your body are not in proper symbiosis. You have thouands of different strains of bacteria living on, and all throughout your body, that the body needs in order to survive and be healthy. And the VAST majority of that bacteria is good, only a small percentage of bacteria is bad. This is why antibiotics are simply not smart. Trying to kill that small percentage of bad bacteria, which also kills the good bacteria in the process is not going to do it. If your GOOD bacteria cultures were healthy and functioning properly, they will automatically deal with the bad bacterias. This is why you want a probiotic. You want to improve the health of the bacteria living in your body because you have more good bacteria in you than bad. If you improve the health of the bacteria, the good ones will start doing there job better in keeping out the bad. That is how you get rid of the bad bacteria, improve the health of the good bacteria. And this is why Kombucha works, it is one of the single best natural probiotics you can get. No one substance offers as many variations of organisms and enzymes in it.

Now with that, as I said before, you MUST make it yourself, store-bought stuff, the enzymes and cultures in it will degrade in the process of being shipped around, sitting on trucks and shelves for months. Store bought kombucha didn't work for me, it was only when I was making it at home did I start to see greater improvement. Home-made Kombucha is much stronger. Not to mention you can make a 6 months supply of kombucha at home for like $30 vs $300-$500 if you were buying bottles of it.

Now anyways, it took about 6 months for the kombucha to really shine. You must stick with it, everyday for atleast 6 months. But by month 6 you pretty much won't be breaking out anymore, just healing. Which you might think? Why would it take 6 months when most things, even antibiotics, report positive effects in less than 2 months? With kombucha you are not killing any bacteria, you are trying to nurse the bacteria in your body back to health. If you have acne or bad acne, this means the bacterial cultures in your body are quite ill and it is going to take a bit of time to first nurse those bacterias back to health, have the GOOD bacterias begin to do their job and keep out the bad bacteria and balance out, then have that internal battle spread all the way out to your skin. It takes 6 months.

Now the primary front of this bacterial improvement is in the digestive system. I found the reason that eating healthy foods helped, but did not HEAL and cure it completely was because. Although not eating right was part of the problem, the other problem was the bacterial content of my digestive system was unhealthy so it couldn't even properly utilize the food I was giving it. The combination of Kombucha to first heal the symbiosis of bacterias in my body, and then eating right is what finally cured it for me.

And this has had a lasting effect, I don't drink kombucha anymore everyday. The kombucha healed the bacterias in my body, and then since then I've just been eating right and being healthy to keep in that ideal state.

If you have acne, you should really take the time to find a kombucha mushroom, get the jars, the tea and a recipe and start brewing it and consume it everyday for 6 months. Typically you can find someone in your area that will give you a kombucha mushroom for free, try making a post on craigslist. Also, you can make the kombucha with rooibos, red tea, so it will be caffeine free. Rooibos also helps skin.

#2 manchuriken

manchuriken

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:46 AM

No one has anything to add about this?

You know guys, I see so many people on this website still believing they need to kill bacteria on there skin, that they need some harsh synthetic chemical and medication.

Aren't there more people on here who have found how well Kombucha works? Post some more comments. I think there should be a bigger section on it for Acne.org perhaps on the main page.

I mean, it's the cheapest treatment, from a logical standpoint the function of it's operation makes the most sense and furthermore.... it's the only thing that worked for me.

#3 zzzboy

zzzboy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

no because most people dont have 6 months time to do what you are doing.

i agree with you that topicals can be harmful to some people, but for others (like me) its just great. im a college student and i cant even imagine doing a regimen like yours.

not to mention kombucha seems like just another folk remedy. no trials ever concluded to determine its health benefits. plus the mayoclinic says that home-brewing often leads to contamination.

count me out.

#4 suzy_rondelle

suzy_rondelle

these burgers are craaazy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

kombucha is a miracle drink, but i dont have the patience to brew it myself. and you can get store bought, quality kombucha. you just have to know where to look.

i dont drink it enough to make any judgments on how it effects my skin, but it sure makes me feel a whole lot better when i'm sick.

#5 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

I drank about 4 oz of Synergy's kombucha. I felt nauseous, dizzy - almost high. Then a massive headache. It's been years since I got high, been eating all natural, mostly organic for a looongg time, no prescription meds - so I really don't think it was any sort of detox.

Googled it, got some horrific stories about homebrews from shared mushrooms. The safety of homebrew is really easily compromised - and no offense - but the method you described sounded like a quick ticket to a horrific story.

I like Kefir - good enough.

#6 dreamscompany

dreamscompany

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

I just wanted to let you know that you are absolutely right. Acne is the result of an internal imbalance with in the body. According to chinese medicine it is excessive heat resulting from imbalance of lungs, and digestive track. Living in harmony is the solution. Your method is golden. Thank you so much for your insight and wisdom. Be well

#7 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

This interests me, but I don't want to start growing mushrooms. Post this in the nutrition/holistic section and see what they think.

Thanks,

#8 Namaste

Namaste

Don't Overlook Simplicity & Patience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

i agree with healing the inside of your body. whenever i get put on antibiotics i feel ill and feel as if it contributes to my break outs (i really think my body has had too much of them). i've been brewing kombucha at home for about 3 months now and my acne gets a bit better all the time. when you're going the holistic route it generally does take time to heal yourself and get your body together completely. yes, some things yield some immediate results, but i don't think anything is 100% immediate. i don't think anyone should just buy a kombucha culture and cease everything else they may be doing for their skin, but it definitely helps to throw it into the mix smile.gif

#9 homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

I came across your post about kombucha while searching the net for info on how to determine the quality of my homemade kombucha. I am 37 and have similar acne struggles. I want to hear all the details about how you make your kombucha. I have been drinking it for 18 months, but only 6 of those months have been homemade. Can I communicate with you with out going through this website?