Photo

Red/Blue light goggles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stubborn

Stubborn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

I have a red/blue acnelamp. The goggles that come with it hurt my face because they are not very quality goggles. I read some posts on goggles, but wanted to check to see if anyone can give me suggestions of a website to buy a good pair of goggles that work.

#2 3Days

3Days

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Stubborn @ Dec 24 2008, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a red/blue acnelamp. The goggles that come with it hurt my face because they are not very quality goggles. I read some posts on goggles, but wanted to check to see if anyone can give me suggestions of a website to buy a good pair of goggles that work.

I went to Walgreens and bought a pair of those cheap tanning machine goggles. I took a Sharpie pen and coated them twice in black. Then I cut out little pieces of tin foil and covered them with the foil using tiny pieces of tape.

On top of the goggles, I wear one of those old-school blindfold/sleeping mask things. Also black.

Even with all this, there was still some light behind the goggles under the lamp, but if I don't open my eyes, it's not strong.

A little over the top, I know, but I don't like taking chances with my vision.

#3 Stubborn

Stubborn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

Great thanks for the reply. Anyone else? I think the aluminum foil might be the trick.

#4 BlueHappy

BlueHappy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

I really want the Lumenis goggles, anyone know appx what price and know of a derm that would be willing to sell them?

If anyone has a source and wants to sell me one, give me a shout!

#5 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

What kind of goggles are these companies giving with these units? I would think they would only give goggles that were strong enough to block all the blue light.

It's mentioned everywhere that your eyes can be damaged from Blue/Violet lights but I see more people explaining how they have jury rigged eye protection.

Isn't there a one stop place to just buy a quality set of goggles for use with Blue/Violet light therapy.

Before I looked into using LED light therapy a figured a simple pair of tanning bed goggles would be ok but apparently that's not the case.

Anyone have any links to places that sell them?

#6 Stubborn

Stubborn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (just another1 @ Jan 1 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't there a one stop place to just buy a quality set of goggles for use with Blue/Violet light therapy.

Yeah, thats what I'm talkin about!! A quality set of goggles to block blue light. My acnelamp came with goggles, but they are cheap and the plastic presses really hard on your face. It hurts, and leaves really indented red marks. So, lookin for a better pair.

#7 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Stubborn @ Jan 2 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (just another1 @ Jan 1 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, thats what I'm talkin about!! A quality set of goggles to block blue light. My acnelamp came with goggles, but they are cheap and the plastic presses really hard on your face. It hurts, and leaves really indented red marks. So, lookin for a better pair.

Here we go. After some searching it appears that "amber color" can naturally block blue/violet light. This particular company sells lights ( start at their home page ) and they have this cool looking and cheaply priced pair of shades.

http://www.intellige...om/p-extras.htm

or you can start looking for a pair of amber shades when you are out and about shopping and what not.

#8 BlueHappy

BlueHappy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

I guess the (unanswered) questions is % of blue light do those goggles filter? I'm a little concerned because I bet you still get substantial blue light coming through the amber.

Blue light is apparently terrible for the eye!

EDIT:

Some sites have products that are rated 99.999% effective against this spectrum but they're pricey!

"Optical Density is defined by:
OD = log10 (1/T)
where T is the transmission and OD is the optical density. For example, an OD of 5 represents a transmission of 10-5 or 0.001%."

The best I found was NoIR Patient Laser Eye Protection I-Shields
CODE
http://www.noirlaser.com/lasershields/i-shield.html

or
Thorlabs (if you need to see)
CODE
http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=762

#9 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

^ Well from all the reading I've done, amber will filter out all if not most of the blue light. At least in the manner we plan on using it.

I understand quite well the damage blue light can do to the eyes. Which is why I personally submitted the post above.

Actually gray is the all around best filtering color in that it filters out more rays across the spectrum than any other color. You can start looking at eye glass retailers online. They usually list various color lenses and what each type is good for. Also, try to research a lil more yourself until you are confident with the info.

All the best

#10 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Surely tanning bed goggles are sufficient? I know for a fact tin foil blocks out all uv light btw.... So just line a comfortable pair of tanning goggles with some tin foil like some people have already done.

Sun beds operate at wavelengths around 300-400nm the goggles provided when tanning are sufficient for what we need.

#11 just another1

just another1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (lamarr1986 @ Jan 5 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely tanning bed goggles are sufficient?

what you going on about? lol