Photo

apples and oranges

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 AUS

AUS

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

Does eating ALOT of apples and oranges cause breakouts :-k

#2 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

Most likely not. Oranges are *very* good for your overall health, as are apples.

But, everyone is different.

#3 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:48 PM

Even if you eat them in exorbatant amounts, it shouldn't cause any inflammation or irritate your skin.

Apples are high in vitamin A which is good for your skin, and oranges are good for you too. They have a decent amount of carbohydrates in them, but mind you, they're simple carbs.

#4 Guest_fatman_uk_*

Guest_fatman_uk_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:51 PM

Citrus fruits generally cause problems in my family, i get dry an irritated feeling skin an my nan breaks out in heatspots.

-Gaz

#5 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:54 PM

It's very well likely that you and your family are allergic to citrus fruits. It's also known to be hereditary.

#6 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

Even if you eat them in exorbatant amounts, it shouldn't cause any inflammation or irritate your skin.

This is not so. They have enough sugar in them that even two or three would have a high glycemic load.

Apples are high in vitamin A which is good for your skin, and oranges are good for you too.  They have a decent amount of carbohydrates in them, but mind you, they're simple carbs.

Apples are not high in vitamin A. In fact, the amount of Vitamin A in them is almost negligible. 114 IU for one large apple. Compare that to 11458 IU in half a cup of spinach. Also, i believe you meant to say complex carbs, not simple carbs. Simple carbs are what you would find in refined, processed foods, and have higher GI values.

#7 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:40 AM

This is not so. They have enough sugar in them that even two or three would have a high glycemic load.

That's fair enough. I suppose that even the low glycemic load of apples and oranges, if eaten enough might lead to a varying level of inflammation. Although, the unrefined type of sugar isn't as detrimental.

Apples are not high in vitamin A. In fact, the amount of Vitamin A in them is almost negligible. 114 IU for one large apple. Compare that to 11458 IU in half a cup of spinach. Also, i believe you meant to say complex carbs, not simple carbs. Simple carbs are what you would find in refined, processed foods, and have higher GI values.

In the case of vitamins in apples, I just wanted to make the point that it contains some beneficial element in them.

Actually I did mean to say simple carbs. Apples and oranges are both fruit, which in turn, are natural sources of simple carbs and simple sugars. Complex carbohydrates are processed foods like bread, pasta, vegetables, legumes.

#8 CBurns

CBurns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:37 AM

My bad, they are simple carbs.

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:30 PM

Simple carbs are sugars. Also complex carbs aren't always processed, in fact the majority of them aren't. Some examples are: Whole Grain Rice and other grains, beans, potatos, corn and other vegetables.

Most of the simple carbs we eat are processed such as sodas, cookies, all the other bad things. Fruits are just part of a minority of simple carbs that are natural.

As JC said, Apples, as well as peaches, and many other fruits are low in the GI scale. Even pasta which everyone here seems to hate is in the middle and milk is low. Honey, which many here like is very high on the list. Also other factors come into play, for instance you can eat tons of mashed potatos at the holidays but it would affect few people because you are eating lot's of turkey with it. Protein eaten with carbs lowers its effect on spiking the blood sugar to the point where is doesn't really do anything.

There's no reason to avoid foods with a high GI because many are very nutritious. Even diabetics can eat them in moderation and their body is way more sensitive than someones who is predisposed to acne.