Photo

More effective than lemon water?

vitamin vitamins green tea zinc phenol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 TriN

TriN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:58 PM

Today, green tea is getting the majority of the press for its positive effect on health. This is due to the power of its constituents, which include carotenoids, chlorophyll, polysaccharides, fats, vitamins C and E, manganese, potassium and zinc. However, experts agree that it is one type of constituent in particular that provides most of the health benefits. These are polyphenols.

Green tea is regarded as an antioxidant. The polyphenols, especially EGCG, prevent free radical damage and have even been found to detoxify free radicals produced by the environmental toxin paraquat. (Carcinogenesis 10 [1989]: 1003)

Green tea is also used topically and in this case is known as a styptic, which helps stop bleeding when applied topically. It has been used lukewarm on open wounds, acne, athlete’s feet, and sunburn, and appears to protect the skin from damage from ultraviolet radiation exposure. Researchers are not yet sure why this works but think it may be due to its antioxidant activity.

One study indicates that 6,000 Japanese women who were nondrinkers and nonsmokers over 40 who drank about five cups of green tea a day had a 50 percent decrease in the risk of stroke.

----------------------------------

This is my second day of drinking 4-5 cups a day. Lets see what happens biggrin.gif

Steph

#2 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:53 AM

Green tea is purported to have many benefits, especially that of the antioxidant nature...great way to destroy free radicals. You'll probably need to drink it in great amounts to have any real effect on your skin though.
I love green tea ice cream. user posted image

Good luck! Tell us how it goes.
Life is but a breath. Here is my story...

#3 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:23 AM

I'd say pound for pound Green Tea is superior to Lemon water, but the big difference here is. It's *incredibly* fast and easy to squeeze a lemon into your glass of water. Additionally, on average, people drink a lot more water than Tea.

but then again, If you were to replace all the water you drank with Tea, then you might be onto something. Still, it requires more effort, but as with pretty much everything in life, for the best results, more efffort is required.

#4 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:56 AM

update trin?

#5 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:15 AM

Yep, you need 4 glasses of good green tea a day to be very effective. Maybe less withthe best stuff. Now if you buy those prepackaged chopped up cr@p from celestial seasoning you would probably need like 20 cups a day. Anyway, even of it doesn't clear your face, think about how great it is foro your heart, your cholesterol levels, etc...

You can also make it in bulk, just boil a large amount of water and immerse a bunch of loose leaf tea in it(letting the water sit before as it wrecks the tea is you pour boiling water on it). Then you can just pour yourself a glass of cold tea whenever you want. It almost tastes like sun tea but better, especially if you add honey.

#6 leonidas

leonidas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:26 AM

Well I've been drinking green tea for a little over a month for breakfast. I drink water the rest of the day. I can't really say much has improved but its good tea anyway =)

#7 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

I'd say pound for pound Green Tea is superior to Lemon water, but the big difference here is. It's *incredibly* fast and easy to squeeze a lemon into your glass of water. Additionally, on average, people drink a lot more water than Tea.

Not really. They are both useful for different reasons. Green Tea is an antioxidant and lemon water is a detoxifyer.
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#8 Veritable

Veritable

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:49 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder what the benefits of drinking Green tea with lemon?

#9 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:05 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder what the benefits of drinking Green tea with lemon?

Funny you should ask! I am currently drinking green tea with a squeeze of lemon in it. biggrin.gif
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#10 TriN

TriN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

update: my skin doesnt get as oily during the day. i can't really say that theres been much of an improvment. ive been on a heathier diet since march 15th. im also doing the regimen only at night coz i have classes in the moring at 8. This is what im eating throughout the day:

4-5 cups tea (since last tuesday)
4 inch slice of cantalope
2 grapefruits
1-2 cups of 100% multi-grain cheerios
fist sized serving of blueberries
1 kiwi
1 pear
cup of orange juice

for breakfast: oatmeal and fruit

for lunch: its hard to find something healthy between classes so I usually have a turkey sandwitch w/ tomatoes and lettuce. Its $4.49! Damn University charges way too much for a simple sandwitch!!!! Theres pizza and pasta and fried chicken etc.

for dinner: i usually cook stir-fried vegetablkes like brocoli, bean sprouts, carrots, w/ tofu or chicken

Is there something im doing wrong? Cuz ive been breaking out more....and its hard to stay strong emotionally when im not seeing positive results with all this effort...maybe its all the stress with all my classes n stuff. im just emotionally exhuasted sad.gif i guess ive been keeping such a positive face in public that its finally catching up to me sad.gif damn it.

#11 chrisalvarez55

chrisalvarez55

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

i saw that you ate 1-2 cups of 100% multi-grain cheerios and for breakfast: oatmeal and fruit. if you are taking any of these with milk, then that maybe what is causing you to break out.

try going without milk for 2 months. im not telling you to not eat cheese or yogurt or other dairy products, just stay clear of milk.

milk is one of the foods that had me breaking out alot too. others are chinese food and shrimp. the strange thing is i can eat dairy products such as yogurt and cheese in moderation and that wont cause any breatkouts.

anyway, try not drinking milk for a while, and hopefully that will help.

#12 TriN

TriN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:32 PM

i rarely drink milk or soy milk....i dont like either. i eat cereal like how you'd eat popcorn and oatmeal w/ water. thanks for the suggestion though smile.gif

#13 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:34 PM

i rarely drink milk or soy milk....i dont like either.  i eat cereal like how you'd eat popcorn and oatmeal w/ water.  thanks for the suggestion though smile.gif

Eating dry bran cereal is great for night time snacking (if you must). You don't like soy milk? shock.gif wink.gif

#14 TriN

TriN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:07 PM

You don't like soy milk?

biggrin.gif

hey jc, what nationality r u (if u dont mind me asking)?

#15 jc

jc

Time for the big guns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:08 PM

hey jc, what nationality r u (if u dont mind me asking)?

You can't tell by my eyes??? Yeesh! :roll: It's SO plainly obvious that I'm Canadian!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

Est tu, s'il vous plait?