Photo

Natural Moisturizer that won't clog pores?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 gMARIAs

gMARIAs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hi! So, I'm switching to an all natural regimen.

I use things like honey, oats, milk and lemon juice for my face as I have found it to be just as effective and 100x less harsh on my skin than BP and other name brand products.

However, one of my problems with my skin is not only stubborn acne, but severe dryness as well. Not using BP has helped A LOT with both my acne and dryness, but I need something that will help moisturize my skin.

I've heard of using extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil and jojoba oils.

I have some organic coconut oil but it isn't extra virgin-which I heard is pretty important.

What about almond or jojoba?

And I know that some people are probably thinking "oh noes! don't put oil on your skin!" but I've done tons of research and found that it CAN be good for your skin. I just don't know which would be best for mine and if anybody had any experience with them?

I've used oil free moisturizers and ones directed for acne prone skin, but they NEVER offer as much moisture as I need-which is A LOT.

Any info is helpful!

#2 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

One of the myths of acne is that you need to dry up your skin, which in turns leads your skin to produce more sebum. I dont recommend any type of that oil as you could get contact dermatitis. Sounds like your skin is overdry from the BP, which is not all that unusual. Acne is caused by bacteria in the pores. You should find a 2 good cleansers - a mild one such as cetaphil and one that contains glycolic acid. Use the glycolic like 2x per week and the cetaphil on the other days. Use a good quality oil free moisturizer (you could even get one that contains glycolic - make sure you start out with low dosage) thats noncomedogenic. once you have this regiman you will only need to use the BP on the breakouts. I found that with the glycolic I have no more breakouts. I also buy my glycolic products on line like from Paula's. Thats a very high quality line and I suggest you look at her website. There is also another one I use from Coren Cosmetics, thats another high quality ingredient line. You could do a homemade face mask which is okay, but I would really stay away from the "oils" you are suggesting. Both Coren and Paulas I believe have thicker moisturizers and the glycolic can be used on dry skin. Good luck!

#3 gMARIAs

gMARIAs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Err thanks but...I want a natural moisturizer, not a store bought one.

I'm tired of using mixed chemicals on my face and have tried TONS of oil-free stuff that just doesn't cut it for my skin as well as glycolic acid. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be oil, but I'd like something that will naturally nourish and moisturize my dry skin that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm a college student and paying full price out of MY pocket because the parentals make "too much money" for them to offer me aid (despite the fact my parents aren't paying for it and are 30k in debt-no money at all)
That, and I've always had dry skin even before investing in years of BP. I've also used Cetaphil before which did virtually nothing to help my dryness and I used it for months my giant bottle ran out with no results.

If there's a natural product line that's inexpensive then perhaps I'd take that advice, but I really do not want to fork out money for even more chemically products.

I appreciate the response though! smile.gif

#4 astraea

astraea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

There are some great sellers on Etsy (like eBay but for handmade products) that sell natural skin care products!

My favorite moisturizer is from there - http://washthedayaway.etsy.com
- I use her green tea / goji berry moisturizer for my combo acne-prone skin. She also has a Yarrow version for oily skin! It works so well, a little bit goes a long way, and doesn't break me out. I looked up all the ingredients and they are all anti-acne.

Also I love this seller, http://joyfulgirlnatural.etsy.com
She has several moisturizers as well, a few different kinds for acne-prone skin. She also has a separate website: http://joyfulgirlnaturalproducts.com
- AND she is having sale right now!
I would go to the second website first and look at the products under "Acne", then browse her Etsy site if you want to buy on there, because sometimes things get sold out on Etsy but you can see all that she has on the other site. They are all made fresh to order.

EDIT: I see you said you have DRY skin and acne. Since that is pretty tricky, I would contact the sellers first and explain your skin, and they can recommend a product for you.

Also at the Drugstore you will probably find Alba Botanica products. Their Aloe/Green tea cream is good.

All of these are all-natural! smile.gif

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

Apply oils to wet skin or with wet fingers so you can apply thinly.

#6 zen.garden

zen.garden

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:31 AM

I use a moisturizer from Desert Essence called Daily Essential Facial Moisturizer. No artifical or animal ingredients, color, or fragrance. It comes in a jar, which I'm not fond of, but it's a cream and it works beautifully.

#7 bran88

bran88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

I'm trying a new homemade one, can't really comment on efficacy yet but I'm happy to give you the recipe!

(you might have to adjust the ingredients depending on how dry you are, if this is not mositurizing enough, use more jojoba or more glycerine, if it's too moisturizing, use more aloe)

1/2 cup aloe vera gel (the kind you can drink, i used 365 whole foods brand)
10-15 drops jojoba oil (I used dessert essence)
5-7 drops lavender essential oil (maybe not necessary, but good for your skin, has antibacterial properties. could use a different essential oil if you want, could also add tea tree if you want an acne fighter).
@1/8 cup vegetable glycerine

I don't think that this should clog your pores, and in my personal experience, all of these ingredients are good for acne prone skin that tends to get a little flaky. I also really like wild sage's lavender rose moisturizer which is based on similar principles, but since you can no longer order it online I decided to make my own. good luck!

edit: these ingredients cost about $30 (I got the 32oz size aloe, and already had the glycerine from a homemade cleanser so it might cost you around $40)...but you can make 8 batches before having to re-buy anything and then i think you'll just need more aloe. so it makes more than 8 batches, which ends up being reasonably cheap

#8 HolisticJane

HolisticJane

Why yes, Redheads are Evil..Bwahahaha!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

I started using Alba aloe and Green Tea Oil-free moisturizer. It's nice stuff, doens't burn, not additives, chemicals and is hypo-allergic. My skin is actually doing better than when I started using it and it's been over a week. It balances the moisture in your skin without making you too oily. Your just hydrated.

#9 amorfati

amorfati

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:43 AM

I have been using pure jojoba oil as a moisturizer for about two weeks, in addition to using the oil cleansing method in the evening, and both of these things have worked wonderfully for me.

Of the oils you mentioned, jojoba is the least comedogenic (see here:http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_detective/article6.htm). When I was using a store brand, oil-free SPF 15 moisturizer, my skin was getting so oily, despite being on Retin-A. So I quit the moisturizer completely, and of course I was still oily. Putting oils on my face has been the one thing to dry me up a bit, and OCM (just google "oil cleansing method") has made my face incredibly smooth. I love it, and somehow it helps me not pick as well -- because I get to channel my hand energy or something into washing? This hasn't really helped to eliminate pimples from rising up, but they no longer get scabby and stick around forever. They are also a lot easier to cover up since the top skin usually stays pretty soft and smooth.

Good luck!

#10 BigPore

BigPore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

I've used all those oils for moisturizing. They broke me out.* However, many find success with olive oil and jojoba oil.

Have you thought about pure aloe vera? Not the gel, but the liquid you store in the fridge. Aubrey Organics sells it. The moisturizing is very light.

* Somehow I can cleanse my skin with olive oil with no acne consequences. Go figure.

#11 jbasketball410

jbasketball410

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

I use Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Skin Ointment. I got it from one of those organic stores.It has almond oil, tea tree oil, joboba oil, lavender oil, calendula extract, ctyl esters, and besswax. The tea tree oil in it also fights acne.

#12 washthedayaway

washthedayaway

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for the mention! A new Customer today told me she was directed to my shop from this post. Thank you! This has gotten me a few sales this week, I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Rebecca
Wash The Day Away

#13 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

Kimberley Sayer - ultra light facial moisturiser with SPF 25, totally organic and natural, you get a really big tube that lasts ages, it smells amazing, it doesnt break you out and its also a sun protector. Ive used this for a year and love it!