cyst cortisone

5 replies to this topic

#1 plumard

plumard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

I had a very bad inflamed cyst injected on Nov 17--first time I've tried an injection for a cyst.

So about two weeks have passed since the injection and the bump is still there--hasn't reduced at all so far as I can tell.

It no longer seems to be inflamed. It's not sensitive to the touch. But what makes me nervous is the bump is as big as before the injection and shows no sign of reducing.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (plumard @ Dec 1 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a very bad inflamed cyst injected on Nov 17--first time I've tried an injection for a cyst.

So about two weeks have passed since the injection and the bump is still there--hasn't reduced at all so far as I can tell.

It no longer seems to be inflamed. It's not sensitive to the touch. But what makes me nervous is the bump is as big as before the injection and shows no sign of reducing.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Probably should go back to derm. I had one that took at least 2x injection and the derm actually doing a deep extraction. The thing kept coming back but once he extracted it, and he apologized for having to hurt me, it went away. I just got an injection on one and I'm sure I will need another in about a week. The derms dont like to do too many because it could leave a slight depression, but I found that, as in all thing, it will heal nicely if I take good care of it. Plus I did some microdermabrasion and that worked very well. Def go back and get another shot

#3 plumard

plumard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:43 AM

titosmommy,

thanks for your reply.

Was your situation like mine, after the shot the bump remained, but it was not inflamed and painful anymore?

The reason I have not been back yet to the derm yet is because I read the cortisone injections are only helpful for red inflamed cysts, and don't do much good if there's just a bump--so I wasn't sure it would be worth spending more money or not for another shot.

#4 ja66

ja66

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

I love injections and they work great for me no matter what size or how long they have been there. I have heard of one person who your situation happened to and the cyst didn't go away. She got it injected twice and that did it. I have had several done. Never had to use an extraction..Sounds freaky. WIth injections they are gone fast no, cutting or scabs

#5 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

Extractions, if done properly, shouldn't leave a scab and they dont really involve "cutting". I had a small pea-sized nodule on my jawline that was there for months. My esthetician at my acne clinic couldn't get it because it was too deep under the skin. I went to a derm who is also a cosmetic surgeon. He basically did the same extraction procedure that my esthy does, but he was able to go deeper into the pore because he numbed the area around it. After the extraction, he also did a cortisone shot. It looked better within a couple of days, (took a couple months for the slight indentation from the cortisone to fill though) I had no scarring and the spot never came back - its been over a year and a half since I had it done.

One of the problems with only using cortisone is that sometimes the core of the lesion doesn't go away and just stays under the skin. The cortisone can reduce the swelling and redness, but it won't remove the core of the lesion. That is why these spots can come back over and over.

#6 sprygypsy

sprygypsy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hey everyone!

I thought I did a thorough search of these message boards for folks discussing this very thing! I recently posted my own experience with cortisone injections for bad-ass cysts, so I apologize for being redundant.
I had a HUGE bump on my chin and it was there for a long time before I said, "heck with this: there's gotta be a solution!" and got it zapped by a derm. I was thrilled with the results (and mine wasn't red or anything, just a freakishly large, totally unwelcome swollen thing-a-ma-hoo that looked like nothing I'd ever had in my 15 years of bad skin). The monster receded, and I felt like it was actually going to heal.
To my horror, almost 3 weeks later I felt a tightness in the same spot, and NO GOD NO the next day there was clearly something happening that I was not prepared for: IT WAS BACK!
Granted, it was maybe 1/2 the size or something of the original, but the original was TITANIC, so this one is pretty damn large as well.

I'm going to the same derm tomorrow (who didn't tell me that it's not uncommon for the cyst to return), and thank you thank you all of you for giving me hope that the second time around might just do the trick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users