retinoids

5 replies to this topic

#1 OMGHi2U!

OMGHi2U!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

SO I just picked up some tazorac from the pharmacy yesterday (100$)
expensive...
I was wondering if I should apply it to my OLD acne scars, and would it even make a difference?
Ive read that some people say it helps with their scarring, and some people say that it makes scarring worse.
I have old acne scars from about 3 to 5 years ago..
I want to get rid of the little red bumps that I have....

Also can someone tell me what kind of acne i have?
The zits that I get usually dont have a white head...
They are just red bumps that will not go away for a very long time...
After a while they turn dark, and begin scarring me...

Attached Thumbnails

• yuck.jpg
  • yuck2.jpg

#2 OMGHi2U!

OMGHi2U!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

Im not sure what cystic acne is, but do you guys think that i have or Have had it in the past??
These scars are so horrible.
I hate my life...

#3 HolisticJane

HolisticJane

Why yes, Redheads are Evil..Bwahahaha!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Eastern Philosophies, tattoos, Art, Weird Stuff, Guns, museums, theater, anything avante guarde, strange poetry, feminism, Sensitive yet confident men.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Well, you are supposed to apply Tazorac all over your acne prone areas, that would include scars. It did help mine, but not over night. It's taken consistent use for the last 6 months. I would suggest going over to the Scar forum to find out other things you can do. I do suggest clearing your face first, then worry about the scars. Once I got clear, I started using a lightening gel with the Tazorac so it's hard to say if the Taz did it or the PTR Botanical Lightening gel (It has Azelaic Acid in it, also good for getting rid of acne). Peels can help. AHA's and SA"S are good for fading scars. Deep indented ones will not go away with just a topical. Marks yes. I will always have scars unless I get help from peels or lasers.
Jane, age 36
(Follicular/Hormonal Acne Sufferer for 16 Years) PCOS

Day and Night:
Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser w/ Microfiber cloth
Clinique Repairwear for eyes
Olay Regenerist Fragrance Free, Wait 10 minutes
Pea Sized amount of Tazorac .01%
Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid
Aquaphor on lips and spots for healing

200 mg of Doxycycline a day

100% Clear as of 12/21/2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supplements: Multi-Vit, Zinc, L-Taurine, B1 (thiamine), Flush Free Niacin, Fish Oil w/Omega 3, 4000 mg of Vitamin C. Limited Dairy, no soda, no red meat, no pork, Organic Die

#4 greenvillematt40

greenvillematt40

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

I've been going to my dermatologist for 1 year. My doctor told me that Tazorac will help my old acne scars. I am using Tazorac currently, I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it does help some, but it is a slow process in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails

• 607226.jpg

#5 dsrfgsertwe

dsrfgsertwe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

you should be applying tazorac all over your face, not just on active zits.
it is a long process; your skin will be peeling and you will be breaking out a lot more than you usually do. i didn't begin to notice improvement until 8 weeks in. just be patient, by 12 weeks you'll look so different smile.gif
you can keep using it after 12 weeks is up if you still want to treat the acne and scars that are still there with tazorac. i opted out of that since my skin is so sensitive, but plently of people keep using it.

#6 BruinGuy

BruinGuy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

I am a 29 year old male. I suffered with horrible cystic acne in high school and then it just cleared up in college. Unfortunately, around two years ago it came back. I have tried everything and spent literally thousands of dollars on products (I guess that is one of the perks of getting older--you have money to spend on this stuff). Anyhow, I was on Minocycline for my cystic acne, then about five months ago I realized that is just terrible for your body--I mean really bad for several organs. So, I went to my multiple derms to put me on a topical program only.

She gave me Tazorac and Finacea. It took very little time for the Tazorac to kick in and my skin did not get irritated at all. AND the reason why is bc i moisturize prior to doing Tazorac. My derm told me and the company recommends this for best results. Believe me, I did all sorts of research. Anyhow, two years worth of scarring is practically gone! And I rarely have a break out--usually only when I am super stressed, but the cyst goes away within a day or two and no scar! Here is my routine:

AM: Wash with Dermalogica MediBac Clearing Face Wash and alternate every other day with Dermalogica Daily Clean Scrub--I have used Dermalogica products for five years now and they are simply the best! I mean the best! After the shaving with Dermalogica products, I then apply a very thin layer of Finacea and let it dry. Then I apply a Dermalogica moisturizer that has SPF (since I am a guy I use Dermalogica Daily Defence Block SPF 15)

PM: Wash with Dermalogica Medibac Clearing Face Wash. Apply Dermalogica Active Moist (it is naturally oil free and the most amazing moisturizer ever!). Once the moisturizer has been on my skin for about a minute, I apply a very thin layer of Tazorac.

ONLY use a thin layer of all prescribed products--the amount of medication in a thin layer works just the same as in a heavy thick layer--and adding more product usually only irritates the skin.

REMEMBER to massage all your products gently into your skin. It helps the skin absorb product.

Just some advice--become an expert in skin care. Read labels, understand the chemistry of your products. Try to avoid products that have Parabens and other harmful ingredients. Even some of Dermalogica's products contain these and I do not use them.

For those of you on a budget (I know Dermalogica products can be expensive), I would recommend Nutribiotic. Their products can be found at Whole Foods and online. I have researched them and they appear to be great and somewhat inexpensive.

Lastly, just be patient. It takes time for your skin to adjust to product. Eat well, drink lots of water, and keep your skin moisturized.

Hope this helps,

BruinGuy

Tazorac, Finacea, and lots of Dermalogica.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users