Photo

Accutane - Isotretinoin help with extremely oily skin?

oily skin retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 hermitsherri

hermitsherri

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

I have extremely oily skin. I have tried Retina A, and a sulfur wash. Neither one helped with the oil, they only made my pores appear smaller. My dermatologist suggested I take Isotretinoin (accutane). She said it will shrink my oil glands in my skin. I looked online and haven't seen any result to use this for treatment of oily skin. I am aware of the side affects and pregnancy risks. If this will help me with my oily skin then I am willing to take it. Any advise? Thank you

#2 clinton1

clinton1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (hermitsherri @ Nov 19 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have extremely oily skin. I have tried Retina A, and a sulfur wash. Neither one helped with the oil, they only made my pores appear smaller. My dermatologist suggested I take Isotretinoin (accutane). She said it will shrink my oil glands in my skin. I looked online and haven't seen any result to use this for treatment of oily skin. I am aware of the side affects and pregnancy risks. If this will help me with my oily skin then I am willing to take it. Any advise? Thank you

Oh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say that with the Caps on! I have had disgustingly, excessive oily skin all of my life and the accutane works! I am 47 and have been on the medication 4 times. The problem with me is the oil returns after treatment ends. The dermatologist advised this was unusual because the accutance should shrink my oil glands permanently. If I could only remain on the medication forever...
The oil is gross!

#3 hermitsherri

hermitsherri

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (clinton1 @ Nov 19 2008, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hermitsherri @ Nov 19 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say that with the Caps on! I have had disgustingly, excessive oily skin all of my life and the accutane works! I am 47 and have been on the medication 4 times. The problem with me is the oil returns after treatment ends. The dermatologist advised this was unusual because the accutance should shrink my oil glands permanently. If I could only remain on the medication forever...
The oil is gross!

wink.gif Thanks for the advise. Finally, some one has use accutane for oily skin. You never really read any comments that it was used only for this problem. Best of luck with the oil! I know exactly where you are coming from! If it helps, I buy Clean and Clear blotting strips on ebay from China. They are just like the ones you buy here in the stores but for half the price. eusa_dance.gif

#4 Spaceguy1923

Spaceguy1923

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

I always want to try accutane for my extremely oily skin. But I am scared if the oil come back after I stop taking the drug..

#5 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:05 AM

Moved to the Accutane sub forum. =)

On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Poor Kairasa thinks she has a yen
For those clean-cut young Ivy League men.
Although they look cute
In their blazers and suits,
They can only get it up now and then.

"Bottom line is, even if you see 'em coming, you're not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does. So what are we, helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come. You can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are."

#6 curlyq

curlyq

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

I have always had super oily skin- not just my face but my chest too. I did my first course of accutane 4 years ago. My oil just about disappeared! It was wonderful. After accutane it slowly came back but I kept it in check with retin-a gel for about 3.5 years. Now I am doing another course because I only completeted 4 months my first time. I think the key to accutane is taking a high enough dose (based on weight) and finishing your whole course.

*HEALTH = WEALTH*

#7 janem

janem

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I only had mild acne, but my oil production was ridiculous (and living in a humid climate doesn't help). I just finished up an accutane treatment and it has made a huge difference, the oil is completely under control. I wouldn't say my skin is 'dry' at this point, but I definately wouldn't call it 'oily', just normal.

#8 toomuchaccutane

toomuchaccutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (curlyq @ Nov 24 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have always had super oily skin- not just my face but my chest too. I did my first course of accutane 4 years ago. My oil just about disappeared! It was wonderful. After accutane it slowly came back but I kept it in check with retin-a gel for about 3.5 years. Now I am doing another course because I only completeted 4 months my first time. I think the key to accutane is taking a high enough dose (based on weight) and finishing your whole course.

Hey,

Did you take accutane in the past just for oily skin. I am really curious to know what your weight was and the dosage for those 4 months. Thanks so much. I basically just had oily skin and took a high dosage and wanted to compare with you. I took accutane for 6 months and i weighed 75kg. I took 40mg/day for 2 months and 80mg/day for 4 months. My oil has never returned.

Adam

QUOTE (janem @ Nov 25 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only had mild acne, but my oil production was ridiculous (and living in a humid climate doesn't help). I just finished up an accutane treatment and it has made a huge difference, the oil is completely under control. I wouldn't say my skin is 'dry' at this point, but I definately wouldn't call it 'oily', just normal.

Hey,

Just like i asked Curlyq. What was your dosage and how long did you take accutane? I think i had/have a very similar to u as far as oily skin and mild acne. Thanks.

Adam