Photo

NEGATIVE IPL (Photo facial) SIDE EFFECTS

ice pick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 livluvlaf

livluvlaf

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

I have discovered a forum which has collected stories from various people having negative side effects from IPL treatments:

http://messageboards...pic.php?t=68824

I am uncertain if this is the explanation to my recent changes in skin texture. Over the last couple of years, (ever since I had 3 ILP treatments from LaserGenesis) my skin has dramatically "aged" in ways I can barely describe. I suddenly have "male skin" - it seems alot thinner, with orange peel texture around my lower cheeks, and my pores are very dilated, and I have lots of very fine wrinkles which moisturizer just doesn't help.

I know I did alot of picking & squeezing in my younger days, but until now I still had pretty smooth skin. I am fair with northern European skin. The only way it showed - I had a couple of ice pick scars & when I got cold I had a bazillion purple marks. I was assured IPL treatment STIMULATE collegen regrowth, REVERSE AGING, and won't penetrate deep enough to do any damage anyhow. I took the treatments to reduce the redness caused by some broken blood vessels which had surfaced in the apples of my cheeks, and some superficial brown "masking" caused by the hormones in BCPs.

Anyhow, I'm not convinced this is the entire reason of my new problems .... it could be a combination of other factors along with the treatment. It could be my genetics, but I have been analyzing the skin of other family members - (cousins, aunts, great aunts) and nobody has this radical damage. It could be the person who gave me the treatment wasn't qualified, or the machine was a first generation of the technology.

Anyhow, I've posted this to help others. DO YOUR RESEARCH - It seems it might work well for some, but there also seem to be lots of other horror stories like mine.
35yrs - occasional blemish but daily fight with large pores, blackheads, & a trillion red marks from picking over the years.
Advice from a chronic picker: FIGHT ACNE WITH CHEMICALS, NOT FINGERS. (www.stoppickingonme.com)

AM & PM Routine:
wash: Biore Ice Clenser (2%BHA) + small amount of Baking Soda
tone: 50% Apple Cider Vinegar, Clinic BHA Acne Toner
moisturize: Natural source Vitamine E capsules, GM Collins "DEHYDRATED SKIN.
favorite mask: Clinique "emergency" mask (also great for spot treatment of emerging zits!)
Diane 35: supresses the production of Androgen. 5 yrs of beautiful blemish free skin!

#2 ComplexIssues

ComplexIssues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

I had Aramis laser and I think (not sure) it's similar to IPL...I've suffered some negative side effects as well. The skin from my temple down to my lower cheeks is now visibly changed and different than the normal skin I had prior to the laser treatments. The skin seems tight, thin, and has a reddish discoloration....I went to a derm and the conclusion for the time being is that the skin is now more susceptible to yeast growth and I have folliculitis, or seborrheic dermatitis. Right now I'm applying a special shampoo on those areas to see if any improvements will occur...But we'll see..I recommend you see dermatologist (perhaps another one) to find out what kind of damage you have and if it's treatable.
Personal Regimen:

Morning and Night:

- Purpose Gentle Cleanser,
- followed by Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Every other day:
- Shampoo/cleanse face with Ketoconazole shampoo, 2%
- followed by Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Supplements:

- Multi Vitamin 1-2 times daily.
- Up to 6 capsules of Flaxseed Oil/Fish Oil daily.
- Probiotic capsules, usually once a day.

#3 Superschnitte

Superschnitte

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:06 AM

I had about 5 IPL treatments two years ago which DRAMATICALLY improved my skin. I used to have very severe large cystic acne with pustules sometimes becoming over an inch in diameter. I did not react to the treatments badly in any way. My skin started clearing up within two weeks and I have since then only suffered minor hormonal acne. I have not had a single large pustule for over a year.

I have a very light skin and they do say that the lasers are most effective for lighter skin types because of the way the work at targeting pigmented areas or something like that.

#4 indigenous

indigenous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

I posted elsewhere that IPL was miraculous for me- it cleared my skin like nothing ever has and made my pores smaller and ALL red marks, brown spots, etc. went away for good. It plumped my skin so that my scars appeared to be gone. Unfortunately, the plumping goes away and the indented scars reappear w time. But if I had the money, I would have IPL every year. The one negative that I swear was caused by IPL, but the tech (of course) argued that it wasnt, was two indented scars that I know were not there before. Both were on spots she used a higher frequency and I felt burned after. Within a few months, those two spots turned into "holes". I don't know for sure, maybe erasing all the discoloration made the scars more obvious. I will never know.

I've read about the loss of fat, which worries me, but wouldn't that be more likely with laser? They use laser for removing fat, so how can they laser faces and not lose fat?

#5 albertine

albertine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

I have to tell you -- I got ONE IPL treatment at the end of 2007 by a woman named Carole Lea Burns in New York. It has RUINED my face. I promise you, my breakouts only got worse, and my skin has aged considerably since the treatment.

I honestly think it has ruined my last few years, and I have gone through emotional and mental trauma due to the DRAMATIC aging that has taken place since the treatment. I PROMISE YOU -- it is NOT WORTH it. try something safer. please, for your own sake. I don't want anyone to go through what I did.

QUOTE (indigenous @ Dec 15 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted elsewhere that IPL was miraculous for me- it cleared my skin like nothing ever has and made my pores smaller and ALL red marks, brown spots, etc. went away for good. It plumped my skin so that my scars appeared to be gone. Unfortunately, the plumping goes away and the indented scars reappear w time. But if I had the money, I would have IPL every year. The one negative that I swear was caused by IPL, but the tech (of course) argued that it wasnt, was two indented scars that I know were not there before. Both were on spots she used a higher frequency and I felt burned after. Within a few months, those two spots turned into "holes". I don't know for sure, maybe erasing all the discoloration made the scars more obvious. I will never know.

I've read about the loss of fat, which worries me, but wouldn't that be more likely with laser? They use laser for removing fat, so how can they laser faces and not lose fat?

I am working with a nutritionist now to determine some of my food allergies, which are absolutely part of what triggers my acne. Ice cream will break me out within 24 hours, wheat makes me sleepy and causes a rash... I do not eat potato, corn, tomato, sugar, honey, peanut, wheat, sesame seeds, or dairy. I eat a low glycemic diet, and populate my diet with an abundance of leafy greens, low-GI veggies, quinoa, brown rice, and the occasional fish. I eat apples about 5 times a week, but most other fruit is rarely consumed.

I have tested positive for a potato intolerance, as well as an intolerance to fruit in combination with sucrose. I believe that wheat/gluten causes some of my acne and eat none of it. I was also just diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and insulin resistance. Working on it!

#6 BMAH

BMAH

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (albertine @ Mar 6 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to tell you -- I got ONE IPL treatment at the end of 2007 by a woman named Carole Lea Burns in New York. It has RUINED my face. I promise you, my breakouts only got worse, and my skin has aged considerably since the treatment.

I honestly think it has ruined my last few years, and I have gone through emotional and mental trauma due to the DRAMATIC aging that has taken place since the treatment. I PROMISE YOU -- it is NOT WORTH it. try something safer. please, for your own sake. I don't want anyone to go through what I did.

QUOTE (BMAH @ Mar 6 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (albertine @ Mar 6 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#7 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (livluvlaf @ Nov 18 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have discovered a forum which has collected stories from various people having negative side effects from IPL treatments:

I am uncertain if this is the explanation to my recent changes in skin texture. Over the last couple of years, (ever since I had 3 ILP treatments from LaserGenesis) my skin has dramatically "aged" in ways I can barely describe. I suddenly have "male skin" - it seems alot thinner, with orange peel texture around my lower cheeks, and my pores are very dilated, and I have lots of very fine wrinkles which moisturizer just doesn't help.

I know I did alot of picking & squeezing in my younger days, but until now I still had pretty smooth skin. I am fair with northern European skin. The only way it showed - I had a couple of ice pick scars & when I got cold I had a bazillion purple marks. I was assured IPL treatment STIMULATE collegen regrowth, REVERSE AGING, and won't penetrate deep enough to do any damage anyhow. I took the treatments to reduce the redness caused by some broken blood vessels which had surfaced in the apples of my cheeks, and some superficial brown "masking" caused by the hormones in BCPs.

Anyhow, I'm not convinced this is the entire reason of my new problems .... it could be a combination of other factors along with the treatment. It could be my genetics, but I have been analyzing the skin of other family members - (cousins, aunts, great aunts) and nobody has this radical damage. It could be the person who gave me the treatment wasn't qualified, or the machine was a first generation of the technology.

Anyhow, I've posted this to help others. DO YOUR RESEARCH - It seems it might work well for some, but there also seem to be lots of other horror stories like mine.

Hi! I note that you're also 35; that's when facial collagen loss usually starts with people, particularly women, particularly those who've done sun worshipping in their teens and twenties. If you did not do a lot of tanning when younger, then it is possible that the IPL may have started the cascade of aging although I don't see how unless the settings were incorrect.

Retin A would help considerably with smoothing the small lines and wrinkles you notice.

The pigmentation you note (the brown stuff, melasma) is common with SUN damaged skin. Stay OUT of the sun or use high SPF protection and you'll be less likely to have it. I had some melasma from only one day of sun exposure while using glycolic acid (almost two years ago I got this melasma) and continuing use of glycolic acid, SPF 30 has reduced the melasma to almost invisible.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#8 albertine

albertine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:42 AM

Actually I am not 35. Not sure where you saw that. I'm 27.

QUOTE (Wynne @ Mar 6 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (livluvlaf @ Nov 18 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi! I note that you're also 35; that's when facial collagen loss usually starts with people, particularly women, particularly those who've done sun worshipping in their teens and twenties. If you did not do a lot of tanning when younger, then it is possible that the IPL may have started the cascade of aging although I don't see how unless the settings were incorrect.

Retin A would help considerably with smoothing the small lines and wrinkles you notice.

The pigmentation you note (the brown stuff, melasma) is common with SUN damaged skin. Stay OUT of the sun or use high SPF protection and you'll be less likely to have it. I had some melasma from only one day of sun exposure while using glycolic acid (almost two years ago I got this melasma) and continuing use of glycolic acid, SPF 30 has reduced the melasma to almost invisible.

I am working with a nutritionist now to determine some of my food allergies, which are absolutely part of what triggers my acne. Ice cream will break me out within 24 hours, wheat makes me sleepy and causes a rash... I do not eat potato, corn, tomato, sugar, honey, peanut, wheat, sesame seeds, or dairy. I eat a low glycemic diet, and populate my diet with an abundance of leafy greens, low-GI veggies, quinoa, brown rice, and the occasional fish. I eat apples about 5 times a week, but most other fruit is rarely consumed.

I have tested positive for a potato intolerance, as well as an intolerance to fruit in combination with sucrose. I believe that wheat/gluten causes some of my acne and eat none of it. I was also just diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and insulin resistance. Working on it!

#9 ~ Dee

~ Dee

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Mar 6 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, your current age aside, I can second Wynne's sundamage advice, it makes eveything look worse. (BTW, I am over 35)
I've been using Tri-Luma for melasma, & I use Shiseido 55 block for sunscreen every darned day of my life now... Fun!
I went and had IPL done for my melasma and broken capilaries, I got nothing, no negative affects I noticed, no positive one's either.. It did cost me a bundle.
I would not recommend it unless you feel it's really worth the risk of possible damage, or being fleeced for nothing.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. - H.P. Lovecraft
"You people are a bunch of fickle mushheads!" -Mayor Quimby

#10 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

I had a good experience with a series of IPL "photo facials" ... it zapped some little broken capillaries and brown sun spots.

I think they used a fairly low setting.
Retired from Acne.org

#11 JOYZ

JOYZ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

I HAD MY FIRST IPL TREATMENT 2 + WEEKS AGO. DURING THE TREATMENT I GOT A VERY BAD HEADACHE. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE TREATMENT I FELT WEAK, LIKE MY STRENGTH HAD BEEN ZAPPED. LIKE I SAID, IT'S BEEN 2 ALMOST 3 WEEKS AND I STILL FEEL WEAK AND HAVE A LINGERING HEADACHE.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS?

#12 moomoomoo

moomoomoo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (JOYZ @ Jul 2 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I HAD MY FIRST IPL TREATMENT 2 + WEEKS AGO. DURING THE TREATMENT I GOT A VERY BAD HEADACHE. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE TREATMENT I FELT WEAK, LIKE MY STRENGTH HAD BEEN ZAPPED. LIKE I SAID, IT'S BEEN 2 ALMOST 3 WEEKS AND I STILL FEEL WEAK AND HAVE A LINGERING HEADACHE.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS?

Yes! I had my first IPL 3 weeks ago and it has been as if I have the flu ever since.

No energy, aching joints, and sooooo tired.

I can hardly drag myself out of bed, and I am a person who runs 2 miles a day and has tons of energy normally.

REALLY odd, and very difficult to deal with.

I found your posting because I came online to search and see if anyone else experienced this.

#13 Hatelasers

Hatelasers

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hi,
I just found this thread from a long time ago.
This issue was discussed on another forum as well. If you are feeling tired all the time after having an IPL or a Laser Treatment, you should get checked out by an endocrinologist.
These treatments are known to affect the thyroid gland. And as you know, when that's messed up, you will feel tired and fatique all the time, some people notice hair loss, weakened nails, weight issues, etc. No one tells us these things... I had to learn it the hard way. I had PDL (Pulsed Dye Laser) treatment, which ruined my skin. I think there is some fat and/or collagen loss, and the skin does look much older than before the treatment. I had it done for my very mild Rosacea, and it's much much worse now... I wish I'd never done this treatment.

#14 wowacne

wowacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

This is very discouraging..

#15 cveroleyva

cveroleyva

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (albertine @ Mar 6 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#16 cveroleyva

cveroleyva

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

I went to Carole too at SLR !!!!! My face is so much worse, I went in for a few minor blemishes and dry skin, and wish I would have never stepped foot in their door. I'm 35 and look like I'm fifty with scars all over....sad.gif

#17 wowacne

wowacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

Scary stuff.. Are these negative side effects very common??

#18 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (wowacne @ Apr 7 2011, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont know where alot of the people on this board are going to get their IPL but i have gone to a few different places in the pittsburgh area and never had anything bad that was mentioned above happen to me. the areas that were zapped will be more red for about a half hour or so afterwards and then in a week or so they will lighten up and will be alot less noticeable. i have never had anything else happen. i would suggest whoever you go to for IPL that is it at a medical spa or a doctor's office. i go to medical spas and have only the doctor or the physcians assistant do the IPL on me. make sure you check out the place by reading reviews and asking alot of questions as well as requesting to see before and after pictures. dont be afraid to do your research. also i started getting IPL when I was around 28 and am now 33 and look younger now than i did before so i am not buying the theory that it ages you because it doesnt go deep enough into the skin.

Edited by Karen Howz, 08 April 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#19 wowacne

wowacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

do you know what setting you used?
Any pre-treatments?

I have a darker skin and I'm getting a bit concerned.

Edited by wowacne, 08 April 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#20 mrjarjarbinks77

mrjarjarbinks77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Karen Howz @ Apr 8 2011, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wowacne @ Apr 7 2011, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont know where alot of the people on this board are going to get their IPL but i have gone to a few different places in the pittsburgh area and never had anything bad that was mentioned above happen to me. the areas that were zapped will be more red for about a half hour or so afterwards and then in a week or so they will lighten up and will be alot less noticeable. i have never had anything else happen. i would suggest whoever you go to for IPL that is it at a medical spa or a doctor's office. i go to medical spas and have only the doctor or the physcians assistant do the IPL on me. make sure you check out the place by reading reviews and asking alot of questions as well as requesting to see before and after pictures. dont be afraid to do your research. also i started getting IPL when I was around 28 and am now 33 and look younger now than i did before so i am not buying the theory that it ages you because it doesnt go deep enough into the skin.

Congrats. You look beautiful. I seen some awful posts, awful pics, and damage on a support group for those hurt in IPL laser treatment. Honestly, I don't think I could handle that personally. You look great. I hope its been tough and I imagine, you more then anyone can understand. I hope to get myself fixed up cause, I never would want my kids to go through this nightmare, and I would love to present my best self to the world.Thanks for your post again!