Photo

swelling after pimple popping?

cyst pop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Sometimes I pop a spot (deep or not) and it seems if the contents all came out. However my skin swells (red/white color) and remains raised for sometime. It always makes me worry if the fluid caused by the bodys defence of swelling will cause another pimple (or worse pustule or cyst).

Is it always the case that the swelling will reduce and the area will heal flat again or is it possible the inflammation (considering you removed the original bacteria and contents) and fluid caused by the swelling can create another spot?

What do you guys think?? I hate it when I pop a spot and it still seems bad because of the swelling which raises the skin so you cant detect if the original lesion was actually removed.

#2 DNG

DNG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Yeah it sucks. Whats even worse is when you try to pop one, nothing comes out, yet it still swells up. Then you get so pissed off cause you didnt get the stuff out and you know its gonna come back twice as bad.

#3 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

spot on, that sucks! In fact that's what happened recently to me.

#4 Hello_forum

Hello_forum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

sometimes when you try to push a pimple out. it ends up going the opposite way..... deeper into your skin. which takes longer to heal, and now is 10 times bigger. that is why this forum says try not to pop your pimples.. and if you have to... only pop it if its a white head..

read. poping a pimple at the top

#5 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ Aug 13 2007, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This question comes up so frequently.

Here’s what to do when you’ve messed with a pimple and it looks horribly swollen, red and painful now.
Keep in mind that the treatment may also prevent an incipient cyst from getting worse.
The treatment may also help prevent Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) or ‘red marks’.

Basic recommendations:
Apply ice.
Take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.
Do not mess with the lesion anymore AT all.
Antibiotic cream/ointment and a band aid for night.

Detailed explanation and rationale:
Ice how-to:
Wrap an ice cube in a thin cloth towel or paper towel so the ice doesn't directly touch your skin. Some recommend freezing a bunch of water-filled little paper Dixie cups in the freezer. The thin paper cups make it convenient to hold and apply ice to the lesions. That’s a great idea from Laura, the esthetician that Willow569 goes to.

Hold the ice to the lesion for one minute or so on, five minutes or so off. Repeat as often as necessary throughout the first 24 hours, but not to the point that your skin turns pale or feels uncomfortable. The ice will reduce the swelling and the pain and the redness. The ice may also limit the development of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, PIH, or ‘red marks’.

Anti-Inflammatory how-to:
Ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are anti-inflammatories. Inflammation is redness, swelling, pain. One or the other medication will help reduce the inflammation of any type of infection and may also help with pain. Use only as directed on the package, pick one or the other, and don’t use for longer than directed. Of course, don’t use one if you’re allergic to it!

If your doctor has ordered an antibiotic due to the inflamed lesion(s), continue to take the antibiotic as ordered. You may still take an anti-inflammatory for pain and swelling. The antibiotic is for the infection (bacteria) and the anti-inflammatory is for the pain, redness, and swelling.

Topical antibiotic cream/ointment and band aid how-to:
(Neosporin, Polysporin, Bacitracin, etc. I use Polysporin more often.)
Apply a dab of antibiotic cream/ointment to a small band aid (this prevents contamination of the tube provided the bandaid is sterile and you’ve not touched the pad part with your fingers or anything else).

Put the band aid on the lesion. Leave on overnight. You don't have to do this step, but it provides an extra measure of infection-control and just feels better, too.

The antibiotic cream/ointment may help prevent indented scarring.

There you go. Good luck! biggrin.gif

#6 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

Thanks guys. The swelling did go away and a scab formed. Now the scab came off and a small under skin bump remains. I am hoping both the bump will absorb back in and the discoloration will fade in given time. Mind you from experience that is at least 3 months.

#7 PusiKuracAcne

PusiKuracAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:14 AM

Yeah everytime you pop a pimple, swelling will occur. Sometimes small, sometimes big, but eventually it will go down.

If you popped it properly, then it will smooth out and no more pimple.

If you popped it wrong, it won't go down all the way, remain red/pink and soon, a new even biiger pimple will return.

When popping a pimple make sure you squeeze till you hear/feel a pop. That means that the deep bacteria has surfaced and the pimple will eventually disappear.

If you don't hear/feel a pop, then ugh oh, expect another huge pimple to appear and make you look horrible.

Pimples are pure evil biggrin.gif

#8 Kathleen LeRoi

Kathleen LeRoi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

Jacky, the content of a pimple if not washed properly can produce pimples itself. You must cleanse it correctly, and, oh yeah, don't pop your pimples. The content must be washed off and cleansed immediately, otherwise, it will act as an irritant and produce dirt. Dirt and irritation CAN bring complications. Bottom line, don't pop your pimples. If so, you'll not only experience from swelling but acne scars. Which are much worse!

Take care and let me know how you're doing...

Kathleen Leroi

Healthcare advisor

#9 googler123

googler123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

how long does the swelling last before it goes down??

#10 lilmiscassie92

lilmiscassie92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

If you don't pop it And het the gunk out then where does that crap go?

#11 RealTalk

RealTalk

ACNE KILLER

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Shit! I wish I read how to treat these f*ckers a long time ago. I HATE those kinds. Exactly what happens. It's like they are not ripe yet. Squeeze them and tehn all of the sh*t goes deeper and I'm left with a mark that I can only fade so much. I hate them!!! evil.gif

#12 throwaway102039123029

throwaway102039123029

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

well, technically that fluid is your bodys reaction to the skin opening. all that fluid is filled with little fighter cells to attack any forgien bacteria, but unfortunately it doesn't always work and since your skin is now an open wound there is a chance it may be more suseptible to other bacteria getting inside and causing another pimple or breakout.